• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV Official Sequel Announced. . .for CELL PHONES. Megaton, no--POOPTON

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

6shzl80.gif

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

I swear to every fucking deity in heaven and hell, if my motherfucking FFVI sequel/remake/toaster oven gets announced for cell phones, I will...

7yq5itv.gif

bh7812

Banned
NOOOOO I wish they'd have done this for PS3, PSP or DS :( I was hoping that's where the DS remake was gonna end up too!

White Man said:
New rule: If you do not now refer to Square as Shitty Square, you get banned. If you are referring to Square Enix, you do not have to put the shitty there since Enix hasn't been totally corrupted yet.

Bans start at 2 years and go up.

By the way, I am JOKING. Last time I made a joke like this, some asshole dumbass posters complained to the admins. If I knew who did that, I really would ban the killjoy cocksuckers. Can't do anything fun at GAF these days.

I'd be willing to post under those rules.

SE just isn't what it use to be...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
White Man said:
Square isn't going to release it outside of Japan. Have they released any of their cellphone games outside of Japan? Fuck, have any of their cellphone games even been worth playing?

If not for the shitty cellphone controls, the Seiken Densetsu 1 port is pretty fun. Much better than Sword of Mana at least, and much truer to the original game. But that entirely depends on your feelings for FFA/SD1. Before Crisis is total ass, through and through. Ugly graphics, silly battle engine, totally pointless endeavor. (S-E had a bunch of cellphones in their E3 06 booth, so I played a couple of the games for shits and giggles)

camineet

Banned
the power of DS' install base will hopefully compel SE to port FFIV TA RttM to DS.

the power of DS' install base compels you

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
You know, one of the platform holders should really set up a system for easy porting of mobile games to their next-gen network platforms (i.e. PSN, XBL, WiiWare). Doesn't need neccessarily be an emulator of whatever mobile platform is being used, but there could be easy money in it, and allow a much broader audience outside of Japan to enjoy these games.

Unless square et al have deals with mobile operators for exclusivity on these games, of course..

SpeedySwaf said:
Sorry if it's a dumb question, but why are Japanese cell phones more advance then western cell phones as a whole?

Because people in the west don't mind paying for old tech. Look at the iphone.

Well, first of all, I'm a huge FFIV fan. It's my favorite of the series.

While I'm disappointed that it's being released for mobile, I really can't blame Square-Enix (of Japan) for doing it. Pretty much everyone in Japan owns a mobile phone, and NTT DoCoMo has a huge monopoly on the mobile market there, so pretty much everyone is on the same (highly advanced) mobile network, and pretty much everyone is using FOMA iMode phones, because DoCoMo releases a ton of different models at different price ranges for all of their lines. So there is huge market penetration for these iMode mobile games, which is why Square and Capcom and Konami and, well, every Japanese publisher is taking advantage of it. On top of that, it gives them an opportunity to use a smaller staff and budget (though, it's hard to say if they're that much smaller than DS, with mobile graphics over there already catching up to the PSP).

Unfortunately, anyone outside of Japan gets kinda screwed over, because our mobile technology is nowhere near as advanced, stable, or homogonized as it is over there.

I mean, in a business sense, and even for Japanese consumers, it's a good deal. I'm sure many people will play it, just like many people play their other mobile games.

Square-Enix of (everywhere else) just need to figure out how to distribute these games to everyone else, if not by mobile, than maybe via PC, or ported to console with other games (the MG1 and MG2 ports with MGS3 were ported from the mobile remakes, for examle).

Oh well, for the time being, I'll just have to read Japanese scripts and watch videos on Nico Nico Douga. :/

camineet

Banned
gofreak said:
You know, one of the platform holders should really set up a system for easy porting of mobile games to their next-gen network platforms (i.e. PSN, XBL, WiiWare). Doesn't need neccessarily be an emulator of whatever mobile platform is being used, but there could be easy money in it, and allow a much broader audience outside of Japan to enjoy these games.

Unless square et al have deals with mobile operators for exclusivity on these games, of course..

If we are ever going to play FFIV TA RttM, in english, on any platform besides cell phone, it'll have to be done through unofficial homebrew means and thus, not legal. unelss SE does an official port.

xcomp

They could always do something like Deep Labyrinth where they included the mobile version of the game in the Western release. Of course, chances of the same happening with FFIV is slim.

duckroll

We have SCANS! :D

- direct sequel
- yes, Ceodore is Cecil and Rosa's SON
- includes all the original characters
- 16-bit 2D graphics
- episodic chapters, first chapter is free

i didn't expect it to resemble ff4 so much. hell i didn't even expect an rpg, exactly

but there it is.... that really and truely is ff4-2. for cell phones. jesus. well... on the bright side, it looks like a kind of game that could be ported at some point. maybe as part of a compilation of sorts

that has my interest...

DS port, PLEASE!~

I hate this cross-platform bullshit S-E has been pulling recently. First the FFVII compilation: Before Crisis for cell phones, then Dirge for PS2, then Crisis Core for PSP. Next was FFXII for PS2, the follow-up/spin-off for DS; now FFIV:RE for DS and the follow-up/sequel for goddamn cellphones. Can't they keep these fucking things somewhat stationary?

Borys

Banned
duckroll said:

- direct sequel
- 16-bit 2D graphics

Looks way too awesome. Cell phones rule.

I also wonder if I even really want this the more I think of it. I absolutely adore FFIV... and I'm very excited for the remake, but I question the overall quality of this project. Will it come off as some lame fanfic?

What key members will be involved?
I see a new Amano sketch, but Theodore/Ceodore/whatever and the 'older' original characters are by someone else... and are kind of uninspiring (except Cid's new look :D)

The soundtrack will likely not be by Uematsu, unless they just rehash songs from IV.

Obviously no Gooch.

Is Itou on board? Who's writing this thing?

episodic, huh?

I was actually thinking of something like that for the PSN- i.e. a new chapter to download for like .99 each week. Not that I want anything like that to be the norm, but a slightly juiced up 16-bit styled 'sequel' to a popular old school FF game might pull in some decent numbers on a service like PSN.

Hell, I know I'd bite... unless it just totally sucked balls.

duckroll

Lost Fragment said:
Fuck. That looks awesome.

Plunge another dagger into my heart, Square. Finish me off now.

:(

Don't worry, they're just softening you up before announcing FFVII-2 for next-generation mobiles. :)

well they're using the same assets, apparently. sort of indicative this could be some cut and paste rush job. i'm not saying that's necessarily the case though

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Holy shit... it is awesome looking. I was arguing that if the game looked like the SNES titles and played like them that it'd be fun even on cell phones.

Translation and release in US plz kthxbai

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
They need to start releasing this shit on the US Virtual Console. For a game like this, people would surely buy it at $2 or $3 bucks an episode.

THANK YOU SIR, MAY I PLEASE HAVE ANOTHER?

Teasel

duckroll said:

- direct sequel
- 16-bit 2D graphics

that looks la... OMG cid with white beard look so awesome :O

Alright... I'm not happy about this, but please tell me there is an emulator to play cell phone games on a PC.
My phone has a memory card. If I buy the game and transfer it to my PC....? Yes I know I can google, but this isn't about roms and I'm in a bitchy mood.

Still... FUCK YOU SE.

Seriously though, they can't leave this away from English people, it will probably take awhile (FFIII and V etc) but it'll come somehow, someway, they know we want it, they know its a big deal and can make them some extra money.

This isn't some 'low level' series, this a sequel to a numbered game in the franchise right? I have faith.

Thats not to say I'm happy with this shit, why when the DS is selling a billion cajilion systems a week can't they just release the damn game on that so everyone can play it in a similar time frame fashion. >_> Blah blah I know cell phones are zomg huge in Japan $$$, but that doesn't help ME so thats why I'M unhappy about it.

I can't even imagine seriously playing a game like this on a phone, I wouldn't be able to get absorbed in it properly.

*sigh*

duckroll

Yeah, Before Crisis is doing real well in the US being a real prequel to the highest selling numbered FF overseas ever..... oh wait it's not even available! :D

Put it on the GBA for all I care. Anything but a cell phone. I cannot fathom playing anything outside of MAYBE Tetris on a cell... even then I've got my DS for that.
FFIV was my favorite FF. Dammit this is disappointing.

*continues playing FFV on GBm*

duckroll said:
Yeah, Before Crisis is doing real well in the US being a real prequel to the highest selling numbered FF overseas ever..... oh wait it's not even available! :D

Gotta be patient! I bet you'll be playing a 3D remake as part of a FF7 compilation in 10 years (and wondering why they even bothered in the first place)!

*grabs a chair*

Well I'm gonna start waiting for a playable FFIV sequel now, damn I wish I had some sort of portable game playing type phone to keep me occupied...

>_>

PolyGone

Banned
I don't get why you guys are going gaga over this. Its a romhack of the original, with the same enemies and stuff. Theodore's sprite doesn't even seem to match with the look of the originals. They're obviously not putting much in the way of money into this, can't expect much from it.

ghibli99

PolyGone said:
I don't get why you guys are going gaga over this. Its a romhack of the original, with the same enemies and stuff. Theodore's sprite doesn't even seem to match with the look of the originals. They're obviously not putting much in the way of money into this, can't expect much from it.
I agree. FF4 is up there w/ FF6 for favorite FF game for me, but after seeing the scans, I was like, meh. I'm sure it'll be cool, but it won't be the end of the world if I don't play this.

I just found out about this a few minutes ago. And update: It comes out on the 18th of this month. Any possibility of impressions from Japan GAF?

Top Bottom