• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years 3D remake announced for Steam ($15.99)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
it didn't include this, which is basically FF4-2.

it's also a stinking turd of a sequel but for whatever reason people here seem excited.

so does this include the original aswell or just the...sequel? im confused. I ask because I still dont own 4

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just the sequel. This would be like buying FFXIII-2.

ok thats cool then. more Final Fantasy on steam is always a good sign, you never know when they go nuts and port stuff like 9, or, you know...easy stuff like fucking X and X-2 >_>

also thank you for the quick replies and information

Ugh. Hated how FF III and IV looked in 3D.

they should've done the remakes in the same style that the Dragon Quest IV-VI remakes looked on DS: Those felt much truer to their roots than the FF DS remakes and didn't need the crappy voicework and cutscenes that take away from FFIV more than they add.

The PSP remake was perfectly acceptable, i wished that got ported around more instead of the DS version.

Dark_castle

SE called Type-0 HD one of the most anticipated RPGs of all-time. This is nothing.

It wasn't very appropriate, but at least Type-0 HD made some sense since it had been frequently asked to be localized for years.

Calling TAY as all time classic is just mind boggling. If it were FFIV itself or better yet, FFIX (seriously I can't believe this hasn't been ported to anywhere else especially Steam), sure.

Aru

I love FF4 but After Years isn't a game I'd recommend. Only the last dungeon is kinda worth it, the rest is just assets and dungeons recycled from the original game. Well, it's not like the final dungeon doesn't recycle anything, but at least it's fun and pretty challenging.

they should've done the remakes in the same style that the Dragon Quest IV-VI remakes looked on DS: Those felt much truer to their roots than the FF DS remakes and didn't need the crappy voicework and cutscenes that take away from FFIV more than they add.

The PSP remake was perfectly acceptable, i wished that got ported around more instead of the DS version.
Yeah, the DQ remakes are my benchmark for these remakes as IMO, they looked great because they played to the strengths of the console.

Also agreed on the story. Overall, as a guy who's bought FF4 something like 7 times, I think going back to the story, tinkering with it and creating an unnecessary sequel was a mistake. Fifteen years ago, I'd have killed for this to happen to FFIV, V or Vi. Right now, I like the games the way they are.

Dark_castle

Sure, but FFIV DS made a lot of improvements to the gameplay and actually made the battles more challenging than before. That's enough to overlook the crappy graphics. I don't recall much voice acting and cutscenes in it either.

BasilZero

Expected considering ffiv came out.

Will place on wishlist and anticipating ffv and ffvi mobile ports.

After years is ok but not as good as the original.

kuroshiki

I played 3, 5, 6 when it came out in Japan and skipped 4.

I played PSP version last year and oh boy. bad story and very boring battle (and what's up with that encounter rate)

I almost went to the last boss but couldn't finish it.

I played 3, 5, 6 when it came out in Japan and skipped 4.

I played PSP version last year and oh boy. bad story and very boring battle (and what's up with that encounter rate)

I almost went to the last boss but couldn't finish it.

you talking about FFIV or the after years?

because them be fighting words if you're talking about FFIV

Oh wow that's so perfect because I was going to start FFIV on steam next month and I was upset because the years after wasn't there.... now I can play both of them back to back :) !

Zia

Am I the only person that would prefer straight ROM dumps to these remakes? I know eventually SE will release the ghastly FFVI mobile-thing onto Steam and the frustration will kill me.

Thats pretty true though. Fans has been asking SE to localize it for years.

Sales tell me otherwise. It was likely just a vocal minority.

It wasn't very appropriate, but at least Type-0 HD made some sense since it had been frequently asked to be localized for years.

Calling TAY as all time classic is just mind boggling. If it were FFIV itself or better yet, FFIX (seriously I can't believe this hasn't been ported to anywhere else especially Steam), sure.

Oh, I didn't watch the trailer or anything and assumed it was referring to FFIV and the host of new features was TAY coming with it in 3D or something. Muh bad.

Dr Dogg

Am I the only person that would prefer straight ROM dumps to these remakes? I know eventually SE will release the ghastly FFVI mobile-thing onto Steam and the frustration will kill me.

No I'm completely with you on that. Just a no frills emulator that allows nearest neighbour scaling and key remapping with the usual Steamworks bits and bobs and I'd be happy. Don't know if there's some legal reason why SE can't like requires using or emulating an old systems patented tech.

R0ckman

Except V and VI don't have "flashy" (I use those quotes derisively) versions like IV does. If they ported them to PC, they'd probably just be copies of the gross-looking mobile versions.

I guess if it meant I could play them with a controller that'd be nice, but given that I can already play the original and best versions on PC via emulator, I'm not sure I'd see the point.

I'd rather have the 3D chibi characters than that RPG maker mess we got for ios. They should legit be ashamed.

You can play a drinking game where you take a shot whenever you fight a boss battle you did in FFIV or see a flashback to FFIV. Also add in whenever you go to the same dungeons.

Also the endgame only makes sense when you consider the roots of development
it was made around the time of FF1+2 GBA and the WiiWare version is in fact based off FFIV advance (as indicated by the dummied items) and it was a mobile game so at the end they decided to fill it with content so reusing the FF cameo bosses that were in the bonus dungeons in FFI Advance for a very lengthy final dungeon which I suppose was intended as a thank you for getting through the whole thing. I suppose it implies they ran out of budget as well...

The game certainly taught me one thing. Those Japanese exclusive mobile games might have been nothing to envy as they are low budget remixes. I've no idea if things like Front Mission Border of Madness were similar. I wonder if the recent release of TypeO made a new generation find out such things.

I'm interested in the long modding potential to un-mobileify it.

For reference: menu mod for FFIII Steam someone came up with

1-1-1426354134.jpg

Original:
1-2-1426354134.jpg
Does that mod fix the "hey we're going to erase all the event flags and make progress impossible whenever we feel like it for absolutely no reason and you won't notice until you've overwritten your last unaffected save" bug?

The problem with those DQ ports/remakes is they all felt like the same game which I think did DQVI no favors (especially as it was seen as the weakest of the three on DS).

so will this be the same version as the PSP and Wii Version? OR will this receive an upgrade like FFIV DS?
It is the same as the smartphone version.

KiTA

Man, I've been trying to get into the mobile versions of FF5 / FF4TAS / etc, but I just can't get used to the interface. FFD's wasn't as bad because the D pad was in a fixed location, but they removed that option from later releases.

I do, however, wish I could just play with the damned 2D graphics. The 3D remakes are nice but just give me some good spritework anyday. FFRK has kinda spoiled me.

it didn't include this, which is basically FF4-2.

it's also a stinking turd of a sequel but for whatever reason people here seem excited.

It's not that bad... It's not great by any means... but you're over selling it a bit. It's perfectly servicable and I've beaten it front to back twice now.

Falk

that puzzling face
Does that mod fix the "hey we're going to erase all the event flags and make progress impossible whenever we feel like it for absolutely no reason and you won't notice until you've overwritten your last unaffected save" bug?

Why would it? It's a simple UI/layout hack, not a game logic overhaul. (Although the latter would be possible if someone with the skillset was determined enough)

Top Bottom