• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years 3D remake announced for Steam ($15.99)

Arkeband

Banned
The problem with those DQ ports/remakes is they all felt like the same game which I think did DQVI no favors (especially as it was seen as the weakest of the three on DS).
I agree with you in that adhering so closely to the same engine and UI made them feel like parts 1, 2, and 3 instead of being separate entities, but the weakest of the three? DQ6 is quite possibly the best DQ spanning the entire series - if 7's narrative wasn't so weak and if it didn't have broken hybrid skills, 7 would be the best, but 6 is king.

jwhit28

Too bad there wasn't enough time before 3DS and mobile taking over for FFV and FFVI to get PS1 era graphics remakes.

Ryker

Pleasantly surprised. I've been meaning to get around to this one. I've already played the Wii version and thought it was ok. I know it's missing the challenge dungeons or whatever you want to call them, but I'm ok with that.

Too bad there wasn't enough time before 3DS and mobile taking over for FFV and FFVI to get PS1 era graphics remakes.

I would've been happy with DS style remakes over the soulless abominations on mobile. :( I mean, i guess people could say the same thing about FFIV DS's artstyle, but I would've really loved FFV and VI in that style.

Though, after watching the intro movie, I wish it looked like that !

Falk

that puzzling face
In a perfect world FFI-VI (even IV and TAY, for a 2nd 3D re-remake) would get an FFIII-style 3D makeover and be the definitive, archivable, revisitable-in-a-century edition. Yoshida artwork all the way.

Squeenix pls it's your legacy

Not surprised that they went with this game next. The only other Final Fantasies that they could have picked is 9, 10, or 12. They are (seemingly) only releasing the 3D final fantasies on Steam, which makes sense since most of the drawn assets from the 2D game don't scale that well. 9 doesn't really make sense since it does not have a pre built PC version. 10 actually seems likely, but I wouldn't expect it until way later this or next year, as to not conflict with the PS4 release. A project involving 12 won't happen because Square hates its fans. So that leaves The After Years, with an engine that has already been ported and with assets that has already been ported.

That being said, I'm not going to buy this one. Not until someone can mod the engine to play battles at a higher fps.

Cool, glad more people will have a chance to play it. Personally I'll stick with my PSP version, which I think looks & plays better.

Hope we end getting Final Fantasy Tactics on Steam.
If we actually get a definitive version of that game, spell incantations and all, I'd totally jump on that.

TheTux

Never played it, can't wait to try it.

I wonder why FFV and VI didn't get the same treatment of IV with the "3D" remake.

Anyone has a 20+% GMG discount code?

TheTux

The game is out now, is there a thread for it? It seems to me that's it's really laggy, certainly more than FFIV.

Enthus

I'll pick this up once I finish up with X and X-2 on PS4. This is the first time a FF game has released on Steam and I haven't picked it up on release day.

Top Bottom