• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX now out on Android and iOS

artsi

There were three updates on SteamDB today (usually just one per day) so I thought maybe they're hustling for a release this evening.

But nah, nada.

AgeEighty

So...what is up with the Steam version? They announced Mobile / PC at the same time, it's been 3 weeks already, are they really gonna wait a month? I mean whats the point, the game has buzz now, people have money, why wait?

Just means there's a better chance the Steam version isn't just going to be the mobile version with the same UI. I've been waiting for a PC release for a decade and a half; I can be patient a little longer.

So let me get this straight. FFIX, a game that is on the PS1, gets a port with many new great user utilities, including the thing nobody expected - SKIP SCENE. And FFX HD, a long developed remaster made for our HD Tvs doesn't even get skip scene, the one feature EVERYONE asked for and one thing it desperately needs? And not even bothering to patch it in later on? F that.

Widge

Oh Continue game is fantastic! I died at the first black waltz fight, clicked continue and it set me back right before that rather than my last save a few screens prior.

I have to say, I think the port is glorious. My only gripe is that I hate the way their cloud saves work - upload, download, upload, download. Really needs a Steam style sync. Also, the music is a touch low bitrate sounding if you're on headphones.

Rest of it is fabulous.

BONKERS

Was this always $19.99 since its release on mobile? I don't know why I thought I remembered seeing it for like $14.99 on Android.

20$ for this? Oh Squeenix.

If this port had as much effort put into it as say RE0 HD (Which only costs 20$ and has completely redone backgrounds and modeling), I could totally justify 20$ or more even. Considering the PC version is most likely going to be nothing more than a port of the mobile version. Uck.

A reasonable price would be closer to 10$ stock. Not sale.

JGCD

Neo Member
My GPD XD comes in the mail soon and was wondering if FF9 would work? (GPD XD is a DS lookalike with android OS and a built-in controller)

CHC

The price increase was known. $16.99 was like an "early adopter" bonus price. Still lame, but it was definitely mentioned.

If this port had as much effort put into it as say RE0 HD (Which only costs 20$ and has completely redone backgrounds and modeling), I could totally justify 20$ or more even. Considering the PC version is most likely going to be nothing more than a port of the mobile version. Uck.

It's got a ton of improvements over the original game though, and the original is still $9.99 digitally.

heringer

It wasn't mentioned anywhere on the store, at all. The only place I saw mentioned it was here.

It was mentioned in the first line of the description in the store. How do you think people here knew in the first place?

To be fair, the studio did a fine job with what they had. There were no high res original backgrounds available, so they had to touch up the originals. The character models were vastly improved and there are a number of quality of life improvements that easily makes this game the definitive version.

RanoNL

Please stop nagging about the price. This upgraded port is worth $20. You can get the old/original game for $9.99 in the PlayStation Store. Buy it there if you think $20 is too expensive for the best game ever.

KtSlime

In my region RE0, which is not nearly as good a game as FF9 costs about twice as much, 20$ seems reasonable.

Syntsui

It was mentioned in the first line of the description in the store. How do you think people here knew in the first place?

To be fair, the studio did a fine job with what they had. There were no high res original backgrounds available, so they had to touch up the originals. The character models were vastly improved and there are a number of quality of life improvements that easily makes this game the definitive version.
There was no mention at all on the brazilian Play Store, this is crazy talk. But fuck this, I'm still waiting for the Steam version and I will pay whatever the price is.

Pachimari

Here's the update log:

- Manual screen rotate button added. Tap the rotate icon on the title screen to rotate the screen.
- Bug where a portion of the effects do not work after the last boss battle now fixed.
- BGM during the ending sequence now synced with the video.
- Text regarding available space necessary edited. (No changes made to space requirements.)
- Bug where the app crashes on some devices when summoning now fixed. (includes events)
- Bug where Vivi's "Reflectx2" ability causes Magic Stones to deplete and abilities to disappear now fixed. (In the case of Magic Stones, up to the maximum limit will be restored. Please note that this will cause all equipped abilities to be unequipped.)
- Other bugs fixed.

29 CAD for this, I want it but that's waaay too expensive.

Too bad google play rewards in my region is crap :/

I payed 24$ CAD like a week ago and wow, no regrets. I would pay 30.
This is the best port of a Final Fantasy to mobile (Android here) I have ever played. I just looks and plays so damn good on my Note 4, and as has been mentioned in the thread already, the save checkpoints for continue are extremely well implemented and necessary. This is the 4th time i've purchased this game, and I find it's well worth having this game on my phone.

Timeaisis

I always thought it was weird that Eiko and Amarant have so similar last names. When I was a kid I thought they were secretly related or something.

Razmos

For fucks sake. I waited all this time for an update hoping I'd finally be able to play this game, so I just uninstalled it and sat through the entire download process again, it looked different this time so I hoped it would work, but nope. Still gets stuck at 100% Complete Initialising and then get a black screen when I try and open it again.

Contacting the support through play store led to a generic message linking me to the useless support pages.

Just an absolute joke and there is nothing I can do about it.

For fucks sake. I waited all this time for an update hoping I'd finally be able to play this game, so I just uninstalled it and sat through the entire download process again, it looked different this time so I hoped it would work, but nope. Still gets stuck at 100% Complete Initialising and then get a black screen when I try and open it again.

Contacting the support through play store led to a generic message linking me to the useless support pages.

Just an absolute joke and there is nothing I can do about it.

See PlayOnline.com for more details!

Woot.

flute.png

Widge

Fans of auto-resume - watch out, it doesn't save between fights. If you're in the field and doing a lot of fighting, save aftewards. From what I can see, it only kicks in as you go between screens.

The Lindblum hunt is made significantly easier by having 3x speed. Everything goes fast apart from the timer!

Chocobo Hot And Cold is much more frustrating though.

KWEEHHH?!
KWEEHHH?!
KWEEHHH?!
KWEEHHH?!

For 60 seconds as you battle the interface.

Top Bottom