• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX now out on Android and iOS

Square added a new trailer to the Steam page today, but it's currently not loading. It is, however, titled this:

Looks like it's coming today or tomorrow.

tdrBo.gif

Finally a good news out of this thread.

artsi

Based on everything it should be released tomorrow, and I bet it's during or right after Tabata's and Sakaguchi's livestream.

They said they'll be looking at Final Fantasy as a series, so re-releasing one of the classics would fit the agenda.

Unai

I can't believe they waited so much and are going to release in the same week as Dark Souls 3. I would have pre ordered it if it was a month ago, now I'm waiting a sale.

Go_Ly_Dow

Kinda weird how they forgot about releasing 8 on Mobile. I suppose they're not concerned about releasing them in chronological order.

H3xum

Kinda weird how they forgot about releasing 8 on Mobile. I suppose they're not concerned about releasing them in chronological order.

They wanted to save the best for last.

I need to wrap up Quantum Break so I can get back into FF9, can't wait!

I can't believe they waited so much and are going to release in the same week as Dark Souls 3. I would have pre ordered it if it was a month ago, now I'm waiting a sale.

I don't think they're too worried about the crossover between DS3 fans and people buying a 16 year old FF game.

Peff

I don't think they're too worried about the crossover between DS3 fans and people buying a 16 year old FF game.

Why wouldn't there be crossover between a hardcore medieval-fantasy RPG that's currently hogging the headlines and ad spaces and an old (read: mostly interesting to people who have been gaming for more than twenty years, AKA the hardcore) medieval fantasy RPG remastered for a single platform, which also happens to be pretty big on the former?

Why wouldn't there be crossover between a hardcore medieval-fantasy RPG that's currently hogging the headlines and ad spaces and an old (read: mostly interesting to people who have been gaming for more than twenty years, AKA the hardcore) medieval fantasy RPG remastered for a single platform, which also happens to be pretty big on the former?

Because one is a traditional JRPG and the other is a difficult action game with RPG elements.

Ludens

Banned
Probably tomorrow, the EULA reported 14th April and it's listed accordingly on Steam at the moment.
I hope for a launch price of 16€ like iOS version, with a 20% off from 20€.
And now the wait for FFX/X-2 begins.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Based on the PC version being just the android version emulated is it safe to say a PS4 version is not gonna happen.

Peff

Because one is a traditional JRPG and the other is a difficult action game with RPG elements.

Yes? Liking one thing doesn't preclude you from liking something else as well. I mean, SE themselves has greenlit two Dragon Quest musous so far, so it's hardly a preposterous relationship.

Yes? Liking one thing doesn't preclude you from liking something else as well. I mean, SE themselves has greenlit two Dragon Quest musous so far, so it's hardly a preposterous relationship.

I'm just saying, I don't think the crossover appeal is such that SE would even give a second thought about releasing it around DS3.

artsi

Based on the PC version being just the android version emulated is it safe to say a PS4 version is not gonna happen.

That thread was jumping the gun, they've been working on it for months now (testing every day according to SteamDB) and FFVI has the same license texts so more likely it's a proper port.

shira

Square added a new trailer to the Steam page today, but it's currently not loading. It is, however, titled this:

Looks like it's coming today or tomorrow.

What happened the other half dozen times it got delayed. Did they have a solid date for longer than a few days?

Also is it normal to have an "Early 20XX" tag when release is imminent?

Peff

I'm just saying, I don't think the crossover appeal is such that SE would even give a second thought about releasing it around DS3.

Well, yeah, that appears to be the case. I'm buying it tomorrow because it's FFIX, but the combo of the big delay and DSIII can certainly hurt the port's prospects, especially if it turns out to be less than perfect tech-wise. We'll see.

What happened the other half dozen times it got delayed. Did they have a solid date for longer than a few days?

There never was a solid date beyond January 21st, which was clearly a mistake/early plans. The rest of that nonsense was based on the coming soon tab, This date was in the EULA a week ago and this leaked trailer pretty much confirms it.

If the port is good, I'll probably get it and play it on the PC rather than have to re-hook the PS3 to the TV again. I was only just past CD1 so it's a hit I can take.

Well, yeah, that appears to be the case. I'm buying it tomorrow because it's FFIX, but the combo of the big delay and DSIII can certainly hurt the port's prospects, especially if it turns out to be less than perfect tech-wise. We'll see.

Yeah, I really hope all that shit about it maybe being wrapped in an Android emulator instead of an actual port isn't true.

But hell, even if it's just exactly like the mobile version, but I can use a controller, that'd be an improvement.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Not getting my hopes out that it's comming out soon. Probably be a lot ng time before it comes out, just like PC Final Fantasy VI.

And VI is the best Final Fantasy.

How much is £20 game if it's in dollars? $30?
Yeah, that's pretty steep, even for this game. Still hoping for $20.

The other FFVII and VIII launched at $20 I think in US, so I'm hoping for the same.

They might've launched $16 actually can't remember anymore.

Hopefully on the same lines as those... and hopefully has similar features to the new Steam versions (customizing controls and stuff).

Baleoce

That sucks indeed but you can sideload it and it works fine... sucks that it's not officially supported though.

And yet when you go to the SHIELD hub:

srf8g57.jpg

you're greeted with this. But when you click to purchase, the play store tells you no.

Summer Sale at 50% off it is if SE goes with this pricing.

It's already bad enough they are releasing later, during the same week as DS3 and with the false rumor that it could be a direct port of the android version. A higher price without any new features or addition would make this DOA mostly.

Ludens

Banned
It's already bad enough they are releasing later, during the same week as DS3 and with the false rumor that it could be a direct port of the android version. A higher price without any new features or addition would make this DOA mostly.
They also stated the would provide a release date, and they grave nothing.

Ludens

Banned
That's disappointing. Picked up a $20 Steam card thinking it would just be enough.

Round this top on community hub

If you check the source from the FFIX-page from greenmangaming, you can see this tag: <meta property="og:title" content="FINAL FANTASY IX only 24,99 € at Green Man Gaming!">

I thought it was 20€ too, but it seems SE will charge more. Almost three times expensive than PSN version for a bunch of achievements and improvements. At least give us the iOS price SE, like you did other times. I just think they saw people want this and increased the price to milk more if GMG price is true.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Anyone with a Moto G try this? Curious as to how well it'd run on my phone. Might just work, a lot of games that ran like ass became more than playable after I installed Marshmallow.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
After 10 am and it's not for sale.

Guess it's our own fault for thinking "Early 2016" might actually have meant "Early 2016".

Top Bottom