• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX (PS4) |OT| The Place I'll Return To Someday

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can't speak for everyone obviously, but as someone that's beaten the game a couple of times I'm using the cheats and boosters because I just want to glide through the story and not have to worry about being under-leveled or grinding.

This. Being able to do all side quests with freedom without feeling under-leveled, grinding etc. Also, speed up helps with things like the Chocobo Hot and Cold games.

Eylos

Banned
I strongly suggest anyone who is serious about this game to go pickup the guide. It will help you SO much through all the extra content this game has to offer!

18p187k0bhoj6jpg.jpg

If you don't feel the sarcasm oozing out of my post, you should go spend some time researching this guide on Kotaku.
Hey you guys Checked playonline?

Arkeband

Banned
Wait...Is 9999 damage for bosses a cheat? I know XII added speed-up, but did it also add in-game cheats and such?

E: I see they added boosters and stuff to speed shit up. That seems odd. Why remove part of the RPG experience? The game isn't THAT long nor is it that monotonous from what I remember.

None of them are, but people need instant gratification these days and want to say they've "beaten" a game, even if they have to remove the pesky "game" bits.

"I'm too busy! I don't have time for games!" say the people who will likely clock over a thousand hours into Destiny 2 and PUBG apiece.

This is why I'm glad some cheats disable trophies, so the people who support these cheats being there so they can more easily platinum the game as some kind of social badge to represent how big of a fan they are of FFIX have to actually put in a little elbow grease.

PK Gaming

The actual ending itself sucks but the last section of the game is quite good I thought after a lull in the third disk

The first 2 disks are by far the stronger half of the game, and I think all 3 of the ps1 games follow that pattern

What's wrong with the ending? They made it as satisfying as possible with a touch of melancholy to make it memorable.

It easily had the strongest of the PS1 FF endings.

sotojuan

Does this version have proper analog movement with the left stick? That was a bit of a deal breaker for me in the PC version.

No analogue. This is the exact same as the PC version. I don't know why it took so long to come out on PS4 when they changed nothing.

kromeo

What's wrong with the ending? They made it as satisfying as possible with a touch of melancholy to make it memorable.

It easily had the strongest of the PS1 FF endings.

Sucks is an exaggeration but outside of one small part of it (don't want to say too much in the OT of a game people might be playing for the first time) I just found it boring. I'd agree that VII's is even worse, complete nothing of an ending for a game with such a great story.

VIIIs is alright, nothing special

Byvar

Yeah I'm kind of regretting buying this at full price. Really wish they'd done something about the UI and analog movement. As it stands, it's a lazy port of the mobile version that even comes with additional audio bugs.
I'd rather have the PS1 classic on my PS4. :p

I got all the chocographs without using the speed boost because I couldn't get used to it. Try and force yourself because that stuff takes forever. I suppose you could listen to a podcast while doing it but yeah. Kinda regret wasting hours doing that all over again.

Shame it never made it to Vita. There was a rumour Silicon Studio were making it. Suppose it is an awkward business decision when they can just buy the PS1 game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Would love to replay it, but waiting on a patch first. Doubt it will happen sadly.

Vashetti

Banned
Anyone know if it has Pro support?

Not that the game needs it, but they could render the characters, etc. at 4K lol.

Keym

Sure, but if you are a FFIV fan (and why would you NOT be?) you have SNES, GBA, PSP, and DS versions, none of which are bugged or objectively bad. Not bad!
Yeah, I quite liked the DS version. It reminded me of IX's graphic style!

wtd2009

I strongly suggest anyone who is serious about this game to go pickup the guide. It will help you SO much through all the extra content this game has to offer!

18p187k0bhoj6jpg.jpg

If you don't feel the sarcasm oozing out of my post, you should go spend some time researching this guide on Kotaku.
Oh my god this thing pissed me off so much.

sikkinixx

I’d pass on this version, at least at the price. Mega buyers remorse from me.

Shit UI. Shit movement. Shit fonts. Shit implementation of the speed up/no battles etc in fact the speed up is WAY too fast to be playable.

Figured after the FFXII remake being so great Square actually put an effort into things now. Obviously I was wrong. Taking the L on this one.

Bought just then for the third time... I was crap at it, After the forest and the city where you have the hunt I struggled after that, the difficulty spike seemed steep and I was unable to get past the dungeon after with the Mages in it.

I will try again, without cheats hopefully!

The music is the only issue I am worried about.

FF8 was my favourite followed by 7. I will give this game a chance

TheContact

I played for about two hours last night. I made it to the
Ice Cave and about the fight the boss there
. I am really enjoying the game but the ATB bars fill very slowly.

Maybe it's because I was just playing FFIV but the ATB bars in that game set to the slowest setting for battle speed is about how much the fastest battle speed is in FFIX. I can only bear it for bosses since I don't like to rush those battles. Otherwise I have to turn on speedup which is a bit too fast for my liking outside of grinding.

This is the worst part about IX. The ATB bars crawl. I was hoping they would have an option to speed it up in this version.

deanote666

What music glitch? I didn't notice any in the FFVII PS4 port.

Lol at the "which FF is better" argument that is still going almost 20 years after the release of these games.

mattp

What music glitch? I didn't notice any in the FFVII PS4 port.

Lol at the "which FF is better" argument that is still going almost 20 years after the release of these games.

after every battle, the music of whatever town/dungeon/etc you're in starts from the beginning, instead of picking up where it left off before the battle started

its fucking stupid

Ah cool. I started playing this on Vita back in July, about 4 hours in. First time I played it since 2003.

Will probably pick it up on PS4 anyway as it's on sale.

18p187k0bhoj6jpg.jpg

16 posts was all it took. I love you GAF.

BHK3

Banned
How does the 10k enemies trophy work? Is it across all playthroughs? One playthrough? Any sort of ingame tracker?

FTF

Great OP and an appropriate title lol. Bought it last night since I love the game so much but who knows when I'll get around to playing through it. The theme with the music is great too.

Burbeting

Banned
FF9 is my favourite FF game, and even my favorite PS1 game (outside the battle system being infuriantingly slow). I'm glad to play it again on PS4.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Sadist

Played the Steam version last year and faster loading times helps it soooo much. My favourite FF game.

Ending spoiler
It wasn't untill a year later, when I completed the game on PSone, when I realized it was Vivi saying goodbye :( Hit me right in the Feels.

Top Bottom