• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX (PS4) |OT| The Place I'll Return To Someday

SirNinja

I strongly suggest anyone who is serious about this game to go pickup the guide. It will help you SO much through all the extra content this game has to offer!

18p187k0bhoj6jpg.jpg

If you don't feel the sarcasm oozing out of my post, you should go spend some time researching this guide on Kotaku.

Just once, I want to see an OT for a FFIX rerelease that has just the top banner followed by "For more information, head to PlayOnline.com and enter keyword: Z94TL"

Yarbskoo

I strongly suggest anyone who is serious about this game to go pickup the guide. It will help you SO much through all the extra content this game has to offer!

18p187k0bhoj6jpg.jpg

If you don't feel the sarcasm oozing out of my post, you should go spend some time researching this guide on Kotaku.

I still have mine. It's shit.

Shin-Ra

The backgrounds have not and cannot be remastered, and people's attempts to do so have all mostly made them look worse than originally. It's a PS1 game made to be played on an interlaced CRT, what'd you expect?
Square-Enix’s attempt to remaster the backgrounds has made them worse than the original. What they can do is not bake the shitty filter into the background images, use the original, pixelated PSone backgrounds and provide a few real-time filter options including point-sampled (nearest neighbour) filtering.

Even the 1997 PC version of FFVII handled this better.

Sadist

Jim is good people.

He's not wrong either; IX's cast is the most diverse and it might be the most interesting. As much as I like VI, VII, VIII, well, somewhat X and I tolerated XIII, their respective characters can't compare to IX's line-up. Sure, Amarant doesn't have much backstory and Quina is a joke character, even if her blue magic is pretty strong; everyone has a great role in the story and it all fits. And in some aspects they really shake up how the characters are presented. Most important one being Zidane; having a happy go lucky guy as the main character is great. Not to be harsh towards Cloud and Squall, having a more playful, funny and somewhat cocky main character is just what the franchise needed. Square really struck a great balance with Zidane: confident, but not arrogant. Blabbers a lot, but still pays attention to the ones that need him.

Vivi... well do we need to dicuss that? Best Black Mage ever.

But I also agree on Kuja; actually, he might be my favourite villain together with Kefka. Summarized, I think he's cooler and has more of a purpose compared to other FF villains. Kefka while great is simplistic, Sephiroth is a momma's boy and well Ultimecia... I guess the Extreme is fantastic. Kuja on the other hand...
Has a one track mind too, destroying, collecting souls... but is far more eloquent that you'd think. Well he comes face to face with his own mortality and him panicking about losing his soul causes to destroy a planet.

Abylim

These backgrounds are completely unacceptable!

NMWDPzX.jpg

How can ya'll go to bat for this game? It looks so poor...

Because I love this game? I literally wanted the ps one version, but with trophies. I got more than that, so I'm happy. Sure it's a bit rough looking, and my daughter said it made her eyes bleed (lol) but I love the ps one FF's and want a chance to play it again with some extras.

tsundoku

there is literally no way to react to the pace changes in jump rope even if you try and ignore the sound and visual clues and calibrate your rhythm to an imaginary signal (like pressing right before you expect to hear vivi hit the floor on the first 50)

Sadist

Also, Dark Messenger: that ominous opening... only to explode!

FF IX soundtrack is great as well. One of Uematsu's better works. Hearing a live perfomance of you're not alone a few months ago almost made me tear up. It was beautiful.

Byvar

Final Fantasy IX (PS4) |OT| The Place I'll Return To After The Patch. *

* After they fix the audio bugs, the low quality soundtrack, analog movement, input lag, the battle UI, and the game not pausing while browsing the PS home screen. Not to mention the bugs that were already present in the PC port (though apparently some have been fixed?).
I wanted to play this game again, but ended up completely wasting my money on a terrible port. The original PS1 version was so polished, it's a shame the ports don't do it justice.

Kwixotik

Wait...Is 9999 damage for bosses a cheat? I know XII added speed-up, but did it also add in-game cheats and such?

E: I see they added boosters and stuff to speed shit up. That seems odd. Why remove part of the RPG experience? The game isn't THAT long nor is it that monotonous from what I remember.

For me, I like the speed boosters for random battles. No danger or strategy involved with most of them, but they can be very time consuming and ain't nobody got time for that in 2017. I don't use damage boosters and shit like that though.

Keym

by laggy what do you mean? i've not got the game yet..

Input lag, basically. Half a second or more until the game responds to your inputs, and for some reason it looks like the menus move at something like 15 fps. It's, eh, bearable I guess? You can get used it.

* After they fix the audio bugs, the low quality soundtrack, analog movement, input lag, the battle UI, and the game not pausing while browsing the PS home screen. Not to mention the bugs that were already present in the PC port, such as missing sound effects when monsters die.
I wanted to play this game again, but ended up completely wasting my money on a terrible port. The original PS1 version was so polished, it's a shame the ports don't do it justice.

I'm secretly hoping that way more people buy the PS4 version than the Steam version and complain non-stop to SE until they fix as much as they can.

I want this game so bad but the music bug and the lack of analog is a deal breaker. Especially at that price. I think I'll just dig out my vita/ps3 version. The superior version.

Nose Master

So, I think I goofed. The timer in lindblum doesn't increase if you increase the game speed, so I've killed everything and Freya just keeps getting points. Dang rubberbandin. Isn't there a boss type eventually?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
They did fix the missing monster sound effects for this version. Doesn't look like anyone's mentioned this. Hopefully some other sound and animation bugs are fixed. Eyes still stay opened when casting though.

Also. I didn't brag enough in the previous thread so I'll post this again lol. Got it on my first try this morning after 3 hours of not getting passed 330 yesterday.

ckY0Dmw.jpg

"Peeling 1,000 onions makes your eyes teary. Jump-roping 1,000 times gets them tearier still."
-Onionmeister

Keym

They did fix the missing monster sound effects for this version. Doesn't look like anyone's mentioned this. Hopefully some other sound and animation bugs are fixed. Eyes still stay opened when casting though.

Also. I didn't brag enough in the previous thread so I'll post this again lol. Got it on my first try this morning after 3 hours of not getting passed 330 yesterday.

ckY0Dmw.jpg

How :mad:

Jolkien

ckY0Dmw.jpg

How... Max I got was 69 -_-

jamsy

What are the chances we will get the enhanced version of FFIX on Vita? Or should I just go ahead and buy this?

I already know the answer ;(

SilverArrow20XX

You want to time your X presses to Vivi's movement. Ignore the rope and everything else. Whenever Vivi jumps, he throws his hands up in the air. You want to time your presses to when his left (your right) hand is up in the air, in front of the cobblestone pixel. Time it right before he comes down for the first 50. After that, you can basically hit it when you see his had there. I just concentrated on that one spot.

The first 200 are simple steady rhythms, increasing in speed at 20, 50, and 100.

At 200, he changes to an uneven beat. This is the most important part to watch the hand on.

After 300, he falls back to a steady rhythm indefinitely and you just need to keep the beat for about 5 more minutes straight.

Don't do this tired. I beat in on my first try after a good nights sleep after getting the hang of the technique.

SilverArrow20XX

Haha. Just got to the part where Zidane steals a guard uniform. I couldn't tell in the low rez, but the face of the armor is open, and it's clearly not Zidane.

ckY0Dmw.jpg

"Peeling 1,000 onions makes your eyes teary. Jump-roping 1,000 times gets them tearier still."
-Onionmeister
this guy are sick.

AgeEighty

Knowing the reason why it looks the way it does doesn't preclude people from (rightly) complaining that it looks terrible.

It's a product of the game's place and time. The alternatives are to either accept this and play an amazing game on its own merits, or refuse and consign anything less than a remake to the dustbin of history. Bitching about something the developer has little control over doesn't make sense.

Especially since VII and VIII have the exact same problem and yet their respective ports don't seem to get this complaint nearly as often.

Mr_Moogle

18p187k0bhoj6jpg.jpg

Omg this is the only strategy guide I ever owned and it was the worst thing ever.

It basically forced you log into PlayOnline to get vital info on secrets etc. It was completely useless.

Gorger

ckY0Dmw.jpg

-Onionmeister

I did this on my 100% playthrough more than a decade ago, and this time I will prove I can do it again with that shiny gold trophy :)

I’m about 7 and a half hours - 8 hours into the game and I was shocked to learn I’m about only half way through Disc 2?
Just got Ramuh after escaping from Alexandria
. Feels like I’ve done so much more than just one and a half discs worth.

* After they fix the audio bugs, the low quality soundtrack, analog movement, input lag, the battle UI, and the game not pausing while browsing the PS home screen. Not to mention the bugs that were already present in the PC port (though apparently some have been fixed?).
Is this shit fixed with mods on PC?

ZeroD

18p187k0bhoj6jpg.jpg

Has to have been the worst guide ever made.

On topic, the font doesn’t seem too borked in the Japanese release compared to the English one. Could be just preference though.

Jolkien

My max jump rope was 69 yesterday after a night sleep, can't get past 22. I have all the platinum from past FF on PSN, looks like this one might break my streak.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

ckY0Dmw.jpg

-Onionmeister

God among men.

Arkeband

Banned
1000 jump ropes kind of sucks but Excalibur 2 basically means you need two playthroughs, one to rush and one to play normally. And the save file with Excalibur 2 will always be missing other things.

Hopefully a definitive future edition will have NG+.

adamsapple

Oh ya'll should Steal *A LOT*

Hint, hint

Yep. I remember last time I played this (on PSX, not the PC version with speed boosts) I stole so much that by the start of disc 3 Zidanne's Thievery skill was doing 9999 damage. Great for beating
Ozma

Also PSA for first timers on how to get a very OP skill: Zidanne has a skill called "Thievery" which attacks for "Number of Total Steals Throughout Game x Zidanne's base speed" and it costs like next to nothing MP to cast. So stealing is not only getting you free items (and weapons/armor from bosses much sooner than it becomes available in stores) .. but it's also powering up your super un-blockable attack slowly but surely.

If you don't steal from enemies, the attack will do very low damage, the key is to keep stealing.

Thievery's attack is also range independent so it can hit enemies regardless of height, elevation or position on the field.
It fucking wrecked Ozma's shit.

Miang

Yeah, after reading this thread I'm going to give this a miss right now, and I'm the type who will shamelessly double or triple dip my favourite games. It's inspired me to go replay the original though :)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, but if you are a FFIV fan (and why would you NOT be?) you have SNES, GBA, PSP, and DS versions, none of which are bugged or objectively bad. Not bad!

Wasn't the GBA version of IV completely bugged? The ATB system was borked, frequently giving you many many turns right in a row, making the game waaaaay easier than it's supposed to be because the enemies can barely get any turns in.

adamsapple

Wait, what's wrong with the soundtrack in this version?

The audio track for whatever area you're in resets and starts from the top after each battle, it doesn't pause and resume from where it ended before the battle begins.

Shahed

Yep. I remember last time I played this (on PSX, not the PC version with speed boosts) I stole so much that by the start of disc 3 Zidanne's Thievery skill was doing 9999 damage. Great for beating
Ozma

Also PSA for first timers on how to get a very OP skill: Zidanne has a skill called "Thievery" which attacks for "Number of Total Steals Throughout Game x Zidanne's base speed" and it costs like next to nothing MP to cast. So stealing is not only getting you free items (and weapons/armor from bosses much sooner than it becomes available in stores) .. but it's also powering up your super un-blockable attack slowly but surely.

If you don't steal from enemies, the attack will do very low damage, the key is to keep stealing.

Thievery's attack is also range independent so it can hit enemies regardless of height, elevation or position on the field.
It fucking wrecked Ozma's shit.
This and Freya's Dragoon something odd (Honor) thet gets mote powerful the more dragons you kill are awesome

finalflame

Gold Member
Square-Enix’s attempt to remaster the backgrounds has made them worse than the original. What they can do is not bake the shitty filter into the background images, use the original, pixelated PSone backgrounds and provide a few real-time filter options including point-sampled (nearest neighbour) filtering.

Even the 1997 PC version of FFVII handled this better.

Ah, I wasn't aware they had (poorly) baked a filter into it. That's a shame :/

Top Bottom