• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX (PS4) |OT| The Place I'll Return To Someday

Backgrounds are worse than I expected. I didn't mind them in VII's release on psn but this is pretty nasty. Feels like someone poured a thin layer of mud over everything. Then there's those weird grey borders that are there for some reason when it should be flushed black like 4:3 games. And the world map feels rather off. 3D Characters and monsters look great though.

Anyway, IX is one of my favorite games. Would have preferred a more thoughtfully done port than this but it's nice to have it on my PS4.

OrionX

Somehow I just managed to get 200 jumps. Probably could've gone further if it hadn't felt like I was about to have a heart attack. The trophy obsessed demon on my shoulder wants to shoot for 1000, but the angel on the other side says it will be at the cost of my sanity. Tough decision.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Starting day 3 of grinding for the Bloodlust trophy. I'm now 20 hours in and I estimate I have about 7,000 kills since I started grinding. I'm almost a third of the way through my second audio book. Hopefully I'll get it today.

Fisty

Starting day 3 of grinding for the Bloodlust trophy. I'm now 20 hours in and I estimate I have about 7,000 kills since I started grinding. I'm almost a third of the way through my second audio book. Hopefully I'll get it today.

Is it possible to completely automate the process with a turbo controller? I have one just for these kind of trophies

SilverArrow20XX

Is it possible to completely automate the process with a turbo controller? I have one just for these kind of trophies

You'll also need some kind of macro to walk in circles. On the PC version you can depress one of the directional keys to kind of perpetually spin around. Not sure if it's possible on PS4 without using weird remote play wizardry like people have done for Jump Rope. With the way the camera works, you can't just rubber band the stick like in other games. You'll just hit a wall and stop getting in battles.

I needed an excuse to catch up on my Star Wars books anyway though so I'm not that upset lol.

demu

Yes, I'm doing it right now. There's a specific part on CD 2, where you don't have to move for encounters. It's when
you're escaping Alexandria with Steiner and Marcus.
At this point you should have the Blood Sword for Steiner, which regenerates health with each hit, so you can't die there.

Then just activate the 9999 damage and speed boosters and that's it. Well, you still have to wait for about 20+ hours (!!) for the trophy to pop up. And you can't save there, so you have to do it in one go.

SilverArrow20XX

Yes, I'm doing it right now. There's a specific part on CD 2, where you don't have to move for encounters. It's when
At this point you should have the Blood Sword for Steiner, which regenerates health with each hit, so you can't die there.

Then just activate the 9999 damage and speed boosters and that's it. Well, you still have to wait for about 20+ hours (!!) for the trophy to pop up. And you can't save there, so you have to do it in one go.

Oh yeah. That works too. I think it'll be more than 20+ though. Even with 4 enemies at a time and a full party to kill them faster it's gonna take about 30. This way may take as much as 40 hours.

Fisty

Yep I'll be doing that. Thanks a bunch, my Steiner will be a beast

demu

Oh yeah. That works too. I think it'll be more than 20+ though. Even with 4 enemies at a time and a full party to kill them faster it's gonna take about 30. This way may take as much as 40 hours.
Some guy at playstationtrophies.org said it took him 21 and a half hours with this method.
And if you do the math, that seems plausible:
ca. 8 kills per minute
ca. 240 kills per hour.
10,000 / 240 = 20,83 hours

SilverArrow20XX

Some guy at playstationtrophies.org said it took him 21 and a half hours with this method.
And if you do the math, that seems plausible:
ca. 8 kills per minute
ca. 240 kills per hour.
10,000 / 240 = 20,83 hours

Oh yeah. I guess I did spend the first 3-4 hours doing one enemy at a time while grinding to 99. I'm getting about 10-11 enemies a minute in Gizamaluke and using gil earned as a scale, assuming 200 gil per enemy, but it actually averages to a bit less than that. So I may be real close after 16-17 hours. Also have piled on time from the human aspect where I'll regularly stop for several seconds.

Of course, you still need a turbo controller to do it unmanned.

Be nice if you could change the border for this game. It’s horrid. Also be nice to go back to the classic menu UI rather than the blown up one they’ve put into the port. I think there’s a few disappointing things in this release.

SilverArrow20XX

The same battle that pushed me over 1,800,000 gil earned grinding in Gizamaluke also popped the trophy. That's, by my estimate, about 9,000 additional kills to get the trophy. Meaning the entirety of the main game, grinding to learn every single ability and getting to level 99 combined was only 1,000 kills.

I stood at 66 hours upon getting the Excalibur II card. The final thing in what I'd call a 100% playthrough. Then I spent maybe 4 more hours to get to level 99. My game clock now reads 91 hours. For this BRONZE ass trophy.

x4bBK8y.jpg

Edit: Haha. That ending scene looks hilariously bad in HD with HD Zidane running through the animated 240p background. I actually laughed out loud. I remember it being so awesome though.
Just have Excalibur II left and the Platinum will be mine.

Edit: I go through the whole game without a single crash, and I get a softlock during the first scene in my second game while on turbo speed. Hope scenes crashing on fast speed isn't going to be a reoccurring problem.

Don't think I'm gonna have a problem with Excalibur II. Just made it to the world map in 17 minutes lol.

More Edit: Haha. Just finished the Festival of the Hunt at still less than an hour. The hunt itself has been a quarter of my entire playtime waiting the clock down, though I just realized I could've just killed myself to save 15 minutes. I'm still over an hour faster than the speedrun guide I found though. I'll probably get Excalibur II at around 4 or 5 hours at this rate.

demu

I also got Bloodlust now. Took me almost exactly 24 hours with the method I posted above. Steiner is now at level 92. :D

The scripts aren't working for me either. I have adjusted the latency from like 780 to 1000 and can't get over 12 jumps..lol.

When are you starting the script from? The latency script needs you to be stood ready to jump but the 1440x900 pixel detecting auto repeat script needs to be started where you ask to play.

Also if you can get everything on a wired connection switch off any other devices, close any programs or websites that might do anything with the internet and try it later on at night when there's fewer people using the internet.

SilverArrow20XX

Just got to the Outer Continent in 1 hour, 57 minutes, and was in the Black Mage Village by 2 hours. This is ridiculous. I think I'll be getting the Platinum today for sure.

SilverArrow20XX

Ugh. Just hit a road block in Bran Bal. The Battle assistance cheat is disabled for no reason during the "You Are Not Alone" battle rush, and the battles are seemingly impossible at my current level, since the enemies all have infinite HP, the 9999 cheat doesn't do anything. I just need to survive X amount of turns for friendship to happen or whatever, but I get wiped after my first turn.

Edit: Eventually got lucky just spamming elixirs until Zidane showed up lol. If Steiner had slightly less HP I'd have been in a real pickle.

SilverArrow20XX

Got Excalibur II in just 4 hours and 16 minutes.

M7Op3OC.jpg

Another Final Fantasy Platinum get. That's all of them except XII and XIV.

Rainy

Banned
Played 90 minutes or so. I think I played IX a little when I was younger but I don't remember anything so this is essentially a first time playthrough for me. Game is really charming,

Isotropy

Something disappointing I've noticed:

The Mist Continent effect doesn't display properly in this version.

In the PS1 version, on the Mist Continent, the mist lies in the valleys. When you go up into the mountains (ie, approaching Dali) you can see the mist hovering down in the valleys, but up where you are it's bright and sunny, with blue skies.

In this remaster, everything is just all mist, all the time
like at the end of the game when the Iifa Tree goes nuts

Anybody else noticed this? I know it may seem small, but these little details are important given this is basically the game's version of record. I liked breaking out through the mist into the sunny mountaintops.

Rainy

Banned
Sorry if this is a stupid question, still in the early stages. So if I have the Broadsword with Steiner but I got the Iron Sword, should I wait until I get enough AP to learn the ability associated with the Broadsword or should I just upgrade to the Iron Sword because it's stronger?

Or does this even matter so early in the game?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, still in the early stages. So if I have the Broadsword with Steiner but I got the Iron Sword, should I wait until I get enough AP to learn the ability associated with the Broadsword or should I just upgrade to the Iron Sword because it's stronger?

I would wait unless you are getting wrecked on a boss or something

SilverArrow20XX

Depends on if you find the ability tied to the Broadsword to be worthwhile. Are you ever going to use it? If not, there's really no reason to learn it unless you're a completionist. It may also be a good idea to immediately upgrade for whatever dungeon you're in, and switch back to the weaker weapon and farm the AP on the easier world map enemies.

Rainy

Banned
I would wait unless you are getting wrecked on a boss or something

Depends on if you find the ability tied to the Broadsword to be worthwhile. Are you ever going to use it? If not, there's really no reason to learn it unless you're a completionist. It may also be a good idea to immediately upgrade for whatever dungeon you're in, and switch back to the weaker weapon and farm the AP on the easier world map enemies.

I thought it would come in handy so I just kept it until I mastered it. But thanks for the advice, I definitely will keep that in mind down the line in the game.

Just beat the Ice Cavern. Enjoying this a lot :)

Jubern

I was so happy to boot this up after two weeks of hellish work w/o any time to play... WTH are those controls? :(

I can live with the bars, UI and even probably the music, but the digital controls... Ugh.

DPtheGod

Hey guys I have two trophy questions.

1) I have won 103 tetra master card games but did not get the trophy. Is this trophy bugged?

2) What's the best place to grind for the defeat 10,000 enemies trophy but also earning decent EXP? I'm at end game.

Thanks!!!!

SilverArrow20XX

Hey guys I have two trophy questions.

1) I have won 103 tetra master card games but did not get the trophy. Is this trophy bugged?

2) What's the best place to grind for the defeat 10,000 enemies trophy but also earning decent EXP? I'm at end game.

Thanks!!!!

1) You need to win Tetra Master matches against 100 different players. I just went to every zone and challenged everybody I could in Disc 4. I counted 106 available opponents at that time, not counting the 3 from the tournament earlier in the game. Black Mage Village, Daguerreo, Alexandria, Lindblum and Treno are the major zones with players. Treno has a ton. Dali also has a couple players.

There's also 5 Phantom players in Memoria, and Lani in Madain Sari can play too as long as Dagger and Amarant aren't in your party, or she'll run away. Gilgamesh is also a possible 107th opponent if you didn't already get the S Rank Medal.

2) The first zone of Giamaluke Grotto has weak enemies and they appear in groups of 3-4 often. That's the best place to do it end game. It took me about 22 hours after having already reached level 99 and learning every ability with everybody. If you have a turbo controller, it may be better to do it on a new game. The part with Steiner right after you escape from the cage and the guards keep attacking you. Just have the blood sword equipped, turn on Turbo and 9999 cheats, and go AFK for a couple days.

DPtheGod

1) You need to win Tetra Master matches against 100 different players. I just went to every zone and challenged everybody I could in Disc 4. I counted 106 available opponents at that time, not counting the 3 from the tournament earlier in the game. Black Mage Village, Daguerreo, Alexandria, Lindblum and Treno are the major zones with players. Treno has a ton. Dali also has a couple players.

There's also 5 Phantom players in Memoria, and Lani in Madain Sari can play too as long as Dagger and Amarant aren't in your party, or she'll run away. Gilgamesh is also a possible 107th opponent if you didn't already get the S Rank Medal.

2) The first zone of Giamaluke Grotto has weak enemies and they appear in groups of 3-4 often. That's the best place to do it end game. It took me about 22 hours after having already reached level 99 and learning every ability with everybody. If you have a turbo controller, it may be better to do it on a new game. The part with Steiner right after you escape from the cage and the guards keep attacking you. Just have the blood sword equipped, turn on Turbo and 9999 cheats, and go AFK for a couple days.

A couple of days!? Holy crap. Looks like I won't be getting this trophy any time soon haha.

Thank you for the info! I will keep facing NPC's in tetra master.

NolbertoS

So is this a port or remaster?? Already bought FFIX on Vita and tolerated the PS1 graphics. Don’t think I can do it again on my 1080p 60” TV

SilverArrow20XX

A couple of days!? Holy crap. Looks like I won't be getting this trophy any time soon haha.

Thank you for the info! I will keep facing NPC's in tetra master.

Yeah. 10,000 is a lot of enemies. I think someone calculated around 22 hours for the turbo controller method, so just one full day should be enough, or very close to it. I had to do it manually since I don't have a turbo controller. Got a couple of unabridged audio books read doing it lol.

So is this a port or remaster?? Already bought FFIX on Vita and tolerated the PS1 graphics. Don't think I can do it again on my 1080p 60" TV

It's a remaster. It has some pretty nicely touched up models that look pretty good on my 4K 60" TV. The CGI scenes are also in HD and look much better. Unfortunately, the backgrounds are still low res. For the most part it still looks fine, but there are some scenes with the animated backgrounds (like that part at the end with Zidane running through the tree vines) that look pretty bad.

It also has turbo speed and other cheats as a plus.

Only has 8 direction movement though instead of full analogue, so that's another negative.

OrbOutrider

Neo Member
I just finished it again today. Like a good movie, FF9 is filled with details. Replaying it again allowed me to catch all the details I missed when I was a kid.

Example: I never knew there was a spot in Evil Forest with water falls. Zidane comments on this place, and it isn't that special, but it's awesome that I discovered something new for myself. Another is that I just found out about
the spirits that could play card games with you in Memoria
. I always thought Zidane was just looking at the sky.

Got Excalibur II in just 4 hours and 16 minutes.

M7Op3OC.jpg

Another Final Fantasy Platinum get. That's all of them except XII and XIV.

how? I remember trying that challenge years ago, and had a hard time right after Lindblum. Shit seems impossible. Do you use a particular guide?

Also, has the game been patched to correct the music glitch?

Footos22

how? I remember trying that challenge years ago, and had a hard time right after Lindblum. Shit seems impossible. Do you use a particular guide?

When you can hit for 9999 every hit it's prob one of the easier ones

demu

With active boosters it's piss easy. Took me 3 hours and 45 minutes to obtain it. It's ridiculous, but also kinda fun in a weird way.

SilverArrow20XX

With active boosters it's piss easy. Took me 3 hours and 45 minutes to obtain it. It's ridiculous, but also kinda fun in a weird way.

Yeah. I even did some small side quests and waited down the clock during the Festival of the Hunt and still got 4 hours 15 minutes. Turbo speed, 9999 damage, battle assistance, and no random battles. I only did forced battles. The only parts that were problems were the fights during the "You Are Not Alone" segment. For some reason battle assistance is disabled there. I died several times before being able to get passed them all without being one shot.

Unfortunately, the music loops still restart after battles as of the time I beat it.

R0nn

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, couldn't find anything through Google about it: what's up with the low framerate on the world map? At first I thought they had to keep it low because of some technical reason, but I just noticed that the PC port has a perfectly fine framerate on the world map, so what gives?

Cheeses_Christ

Neo Member
26 hours in and I'm still by the end of disk 2. Making sure to get everything and backtracking is a bit of a pain with those damn ATE's but all in all I love this game.

The music bug and muddy backgrounds are kind of a drawback but you kind of get used to them in time.

I am in love with the assist abilities (9999 damage, Battle Assist, No Encounter and Fast Forward) as they make breezing through some parts with ease.

SilverArrow20XX

How do you view the world map? I can only see the continental one.

Click the touch pad while on the world map. It'll toggle between No Map, Mini Map, and Full Map. I don't even remember there being a continent map. Maybe it expands when you progress.

Click the touch pad while on the world map. It'll toggle between No Map, Mini Map, and Full Map. I don't even remember there being a continent map. Maybe it expands when you progress.

Idk, I've had a map of the mist continent since the beginning but Cid just gave me a map of the entire world. So I'm assuming there's a separate one.

You unlock it once you have access to the boat.

Thanks.

Jeels

When are you starting the script from? The latency script needs you to be stood ready to jump but the 1440x900 pixel detecting auto repeat script needs to be started where you ask to play.

Also if you can get everything on a wired connection switch off any other devices, close any programs or websites that might do anything with the internet and try it later on at night when there's fewer people using the internet.

Did anyone put a Youtube video up with step by step for us dummies? Because it is confusing me when to take Vivi up to start the match, when to run the script, jump back to the game, etc.

Velius

Banned
I strongly suggest anyone who is serious about this game to go pickup the guide. It will help you SO much through all the extra content this game has to offer!

18p187k0bhoj6jpg.jpg

If you don't feel the sarcasm oozing out of my post, you should go spend some time researching this guide on Kotaku.

I remember the day I got this, I said "Fuck you guys". Even then I knew it was going to be useless in like... a month.

Rainy

Banned
Playing through the game for the first time.

It's so touching when
Eiko says "I'm not alone anymore," after Dagger remembers she's from Madain Sari

HotHamBoy

Backgrounds are worse than I expected. I didn't mind them in VII's release on psn but this is pretty nasty. Feels like someone poured a thin layer of mud over everything. Then there's those weird grey borders that are there for some reason when it should be flushed black like 4:3 games. And the world map feels rather off. 3D Characters and monsters look great though.

Anyway, IX is one of my favorite games. Would have preferred a more thoughtfully done port than this but it's nice to have it on my PS4.

It's a real shame Square didn't keep hi-res assets of the pre-rendered backgrounds but it makes sense why they wouldn't bother. I don't think future-proofing was really a thing for games because the industry was a bit more of a disposable entertainment.

Top Bottom