• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster...April 19th for PS4 and Switch!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Steam has XI, the XIII trilogy, and the 3D remakes (as well as the old mobile ports, if you already own them) making it still (in my opinion) the ultimate Final Fantasy platform. We'll eventually get XVI too. And hopefully Tactics.

Sadly the old morbile ports are all objective trash. IV and III 3D titles need to be modded to be acceptable (they changed the UI to a hideous mobile design).

Also its all digital only. I would rather have physical.

TLZ

Banned
I was in two minds about buying the physical version off Playasia for a good while because of the price even though I've been asking for it for years. Also they only have the Switch version and I'd rather the PS one. Then my wife offered to pay half as my bday gift, which made my decision much easier. So I gladly took the offer..

Then I added Dragon Quest 1+2+3 remaster collection to the mix which made the price jump past au$200 and purchased them 😅😶‍🌫️

TLZ

Banned
5 is better then 6 :messenger_sunglasses:

6 is SO GOOD
Never played 6 tbh
Serious The Four GIF by Diddy

Nydius

I'll be picking up 4 and 6 after payday at the start of next month.

How's the new "pixel font" they added to address the criticisms of the crappy Arial Narrow they originally went with?

mopspear

I'll admit the sprites don't look as bad in person but what is up with the stuttering? It's bloody awful.
As far as I understand, the player walks at 80px/s while the framerate is 60fps causing it to be unequal and therefore stutter. I have a hard time explaining why but someone hacked the PC version and slowed the character down to 60px/s walk speed and it fixed it (still stutters once every 5 seconds or so but I don't understand this one). I'm so mad about this I want to call them and submit a bug report.

alf717

I could deal with the stuttering in FF1 but in FF3 it is horrendous. Its plays OK but when it starts in FF3 it just chugs. I'm playing on Switch. I am so disappointed for dropping $80 on this now. It was gonna be my first FF3 playthrough.

Last edited:
I could deal with the stuttering in FF1 but in FF3 it is horrendous. Its plays OK but when it starts in FF3 it just chugs. I'm playing on Switch. I am so disappointed for dropping $80 on this now. It was gonna be my first FF3 playthrough.
Played fine for me on both PS5 and SteamDeck.

So I beat Final Fantasy II and enjoyed it just fine. I didn't realize the game was so "hated" in the community and considered the "worst" by a lot of people until reading online recently. I don't really get that personally - I like FF II and it's a solid entry in the series I think, especially considering where the series was at the time. I don't remember it being THIS easy though, I turned off encounters about 5 hours in and only did boss/monster in chest and I beat the game pretty easily, though did have to try the last boss several times before I won. It's really way too easy, sad.

Onward to Final Fantasy III which I've never played. I do have the remake on DS but don't like that graphical style, so never played more than an hour or so. But I'm kind of liking III. It's weird though, in some ways its a step back from FF II and I would guess that the team that did FF was working on FF III or at least some other people were involved with II. It picks up closer to where the first game left off in terms of mechanics and style - though I was excited for the job system to be present in this game it's certainly in a rudimentary form and almost pointless. I am about 7 or 8 hours into the game, left the continent etc and found a slight increase in difficulty, but I've only had one real need to change a job class and otherwise don't have a lot of incentive to. I'm sure there are some incentives to be found, but I'm not reading guides or anything for these playthroughs so it is what it is. I tried changing jobs a few times on a character or two, but often just end up switching back to my default except in the case of fighter > knight. etc Narratively though this game seems like a massive downgrade from FF II and it has a very hectic feel in the first couple of hours. I do like some aspects of it, like them giving you some partial freedom with the airship early, but at the same time you almost immediately talk to Cid and he's like "yeah the ship's in the desert go get it", not a lot of fanfare, just already in an airship. And you lose that thing quicker than a random fourth party member in FF IV. But I'm still enjoying the game. I like some of the musical tracks, but feel like II had a better OST so far.

I'll be skipping FF IV because I played through the PSP version late last year, once I beat III I'll move on to V if I have enough time before TotK, if not it'll have to be after. I've never played V either and I'm excited to play VI again, it's been a while.

I also don't really get the stuttering complaint. I've only observed it a handful of times, I thought it would be much worse based on what people were saying. Granted it shouldn't happen at all, but meh.

I'll be picking up 4 and 6 after payday at the start of next month.

How's the new "pixel font" they added to address the criticisms of the crappy Arial Narrow they originally went with?

I like it just fine. The modern font looks ugly as all hell, but the classic pixel font serves my purposes just fine.

Last edited:
So I beat Final Fantasy II and enjoyed it just fine. I didn't realize the game was so "hated" in the community and considered the "worst" by a lot of people until reading online recently. I don't really get that personally - I like FF II and it's a solid entry in the series I think, especially considering where the series was at the time.
They made a lot of changes to make FF2 much more playable than it was previously. This is definitely the version to play.

They made a lot of changes to make FF2 much more playable than it was previously. This is definitely the version to play.
But how to deal with the non existent difficulty? It's really bad. Maybe it was always this easy, but I just don't remember it being such a breeze. I only played the PSX port though and it's been twenty years.

I guess it really doesn't matter. FF games are typically pretty easy in the end.

Last edited:
But how to deal with the non existent difficulty? It's really bad. Maybe it was always this easy, but I just don't remember it being such a breeze. I only played the PSX port though and it's been twenty years.

I guess it really doesn't matter. FF games are typically pretty easy in the end.
They did that with all of them. They just make you level up faster than ever. Even without grinding, you're over powered. Which was 90% of the "difficulty" in these old FF games.

Plus, the games now autosave for you in dungeons. You aren't at risk losing hours of progress with a Game Over anymore.

alf717

This is what happens when I play FF3 on Switch. Slow the video down to 0.5 and you'll see the return animations just disappear after casting blizzard. The characters just snap back. This loss of animations also makes the game eat my inputs. If you don't notice this than maybe skip the video. It might be one of those "once you see it" type things and maybe ruin the experience for you like it has for me.

All right - I finished Final Fantasy III for the first time. I rather liked it by the end. Still thinking of it in context, it's an overall step forward in ways and a natural end to the NES trilogy. While overall I think the OST is better in II, there are some great tracks that begin to show up in this one as well.

Starting Final Fantasy V was immediately jarring because of the advancement in narrative and whatnot, how long it felt like it took to "get to the game" compared to the NES titles. Makes sense due to the changes of IV before it. I'm digging this one so far, I like the advancements to the job system (being able to learn/swap abilities) as well as the soundtrack. I hear what sounds like Kuja's theme in here, and that theme playing at the floating earth crystal place is great.

In a lot of ways V feels like the sequel to III and IV like a sequel to II in terms of mechanics and certain themes.

ReyBrujo

Started with Switch collection in November, this is in my list but found it somewhat expensive down here in Argentina. Kind of glad to see it's just expensive, guess I will just have to buy it.

kunonabi

Wake me up when they fix the stuttering. Not worth a buy until then, for me at least.
Yeah, same here. I couldn't even make it to the first cave in FFIV. I just couldn't power my way through and I'll replay all of FFIV at the slightest provocation under normal circumstances.

Trumpets

Wake me up when they fix the stuttering. Not worth a buy until then, for me at least.

Unforgivably shoddy remasters IMO. I was lucky enough to get a PS4 physical copy but I haven't wanted to play any of them for more than a couple of hours, what with the stuttering and no option to permanently turn off the mini-map.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Glad I'm not the only one that takes issue with the ports lol. It really sucks, too, because there are a lot of things I like about these re-releases, but... this is completely basic attention to detail.

did they ever patch the Steam/mobile versions with the improvements they added for the PS/Switch ones?

They did patch the Steam versions, but it didn't include some of the things added to the console ports. This video has a really good analysis:

Ibara

Not the PS4 version. And the switch version is goddamn expensive.

True (about PS4) but as far as I know they just took the individual price of the 6 and slapped it together to get the price of the physical did they not?
I’m seeing it at 2 stores right now for $100 Canadian ~ roughly $82 usd

LordCBH

True (about PS4) but as far as I know they just took the individual price of the 6 and slapped it together to get the price of the physical did they not?
I’m seeing it at 2 stores right now for $100 Canadian ~ roughly $82 usd

Wouldn’t surprise me, and I get it. Just don’t like it. But my biggest complain is I think the North American version was SE store exclusive? And it sold out like instantly from what I remember? Wish SE would actually stock the item if they want it to be exclusive to their store.

Top Bottom