• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

Bonus Round

Sarah or Yuna

For Sarah I have nothing (though I don't think were expecting any type of CM stuff for FF I for a while and I was planning on pulling on the Thief banner anyway)

For Yuna I have her Tiny Bee and Ultra

Other relics I briefly considered were: Edward (Imperil + Debuffs), Edge (Water Ninja), Edgar (Have OSB)

Edit: Also have Aphmau BSB so I do have a Sage buff.

Definitely Sarah. Aphmau is a better version of Yuna's BSB2. And especially if you already have Yuna's USB, you're going to want to use that instead.

MrDaravon

Man, now I'm trying to decide to do with my second choices.

For the CT relics I'm down to I think Fujin and Y'shtola, who are also (now) both on the Gem pull.

For the Gem relics I'm looking at:

Refia - I don't have great FF3 RS besides OK, and offhand I don't have any Monk BSB's other than Galuf's off the top of my head. Downside is I have a LOT of fire options already.

Desch - Same as Refia except I have a lot of Mage AND Lightning options already.

Bartz (BSB2) - Heavily considering this; I have Bartz's x3 Spellblade chance LMR, his BSB1 and his USB (and am working on full-diving him now). Additionally my current Water options are pretty ass, only things of note are Gogo 5 & Edge BSBs. Only thing maybe turning me away is I don't know if this would almost be overkill/not needed with his USB + LMR + Snowspell Strike? This seems like it might still be worth pulling even if that is the case just because I have no water options, but I plan on pulling on FFX since my FFX options are garbage right now and there's a lot of water stuff on that IIRC.

Shadow - This is supposed to be pretty good, but I don't have anything else for him and I already have decent Dark options.

Fujin - Obvious reasons, I also have her enWind SSB.

Ayame - Also fairly obvious reasons, but also I have exactly 3 FFXI relics. My ice options are fairly limited; all I have are Celes BSB2, Edea BSB, Laguna SSB and Lulu SSB.

Y'shtola - Obvious reasons. Right now I'm using Relm whose Last Stand has saved my ass. Alternatively you could argue bubble can sometimes make LS not necessary. Additionally I have Y'shtola's Wall which could potentially be a RW-saver in non-Magicite stuff potentially?

Right now I'm leaning towards Fujin on the CT banner, and either Bartz, Ayame or Y'shtola on the Gem banner.

Right now I'm leaning towards Fujin on the CT banner, and either Bartz, Ayame or Y'shtola on the Gem banner.

I have Y'Shtola fully dived with her BSB and Wall and she is an absolute staple in my team. She can even wrath to keep her SB gauge up.

Personally, I think I've narrowed my choices two to two from Fujin, Larsa and Maria.

Larsa sounds great but my only hesitation is that I'm pretty good on healer BSBs in general thanks to Y'Shtola, Vanille, Penelo and Relm, but maybe Astra and 5* Support keeps it unique enough to stay in the running.

As for Fujin and Maria, I have wind BSBs for Alph and Luneth and I'm pretty weak on earth with just Ingus' BSB.

Xetherion

So i'm looking through the Gem selection relics, and i think Palom's bsb is secretly one of the best mage bsbs in the game? It covers 3 elements, the entry does extra hits if the target is weak to any of those elements, and the commands give magic noncharge1 like Onion/Raines/Alphinaud as long as they hit a weakness. Sounds like it would be amazing for Water/Ice/Wind magicites, or am i missing something?

WarAdept

So i'm looking through the Gem selection relics, and i think Palom's bsb is secretly one of the best mage bsbs in the game? It covers 3 elements, the entry does extra hits if the target is weak to any of those elements, and the commands give magic noncharge1 like Onion/Raines/Alphinaud as long as they hit a weakness. Sounds like it would be amazing for Water/Ice/Wind magicites, or am i missing something?

Out of the 3 triple mage BSBs from the selection, Shantottos would be the best as it grants EnThunder (which is the biggest DPS increase) and ninja cast times on her commands.

Shantotto > Palom > Matoya.

Vivi's BSB2 is the best Tri Element mage BSB out of all of them, but it's not a choice on the selects.

Xetherion

Out of the 3 triple mage BSBs from the selection, Shantottos would be the best as it grants EnThunder (which is the biggest DPS increase) and ninja cast times on her commands.

Shantotto > Palom > Matoya.

Vivi's BSB2 is the best Tri Element mage BSB out of all of them, but it's not a choice on the selects.

Enthunder doesn't matter when you're hitting the other 2 elements as weakness, and Palom's noncharge cycling is better than ninja cast times. Shantotto's is better when you want thunder though, for sure.

The tri elements really shine on multi boss parties with different elemental resistances/weaknesses. Otherwise you’re better off sticking with an enelement mage if you have one. Of course you may not have three en element mages!

Balphon

Enthunder doesn't matter when you're hitting the other 2 elements as weakness, and Palom's noncharge cycling is better than ninja cast times. Shantotto's is better when you want thunder though, for sure.

Enlightning is the same damage increase to abilities as hitting a 50% weakness so long as the target doesn't resist lightning.

Xetherion

Enlightning is the same damage increase to abilities as hitting a 50% weakness so long as the target doesn't resist lightning.

That was my point? Enthunder doesn't increase damage if you're hitting Fire or Ice weakness.

The tri elements really shine on multi boss parties with different elemental resistances/weaknesses. Otherwise you’re better off sticking with an enelement mage if you have one. Of course you may not have three en element mages!

It's not just the tri-element nature of Palom's bsb that intrigues me, it's the noncharge cycling. I don't think you guys get how good noncharge cycling is. Raines doesn't have enelement and still does insane damage. Palom needs external buffs unlike Raines, but if you have those external buffs then he can do insane damage for 3 elements. Especially if he gets a dualcast LM when his LD is released.

MrDaravon

I really wish the Revival banners were either half price, or at least didn't have SSBs in them.

Also yeah, banner cluttering is a serious issue at times with this game. Hell we still have the Newcomer dungeons up, whose existing is extra baffling now given the Revival Dungeons.

WarAdept

That was my point? Enthunder doesn't increase damage if you're hitting Fire or Ice weakness.

He means that you're doing the same amount of Lightning Damage as you're hitting weakness on Fire/Ice when EnThunder is active.

Meaningful bosses are only 50% vulnerable to elements (and sometimes even less) nowadays, which is the same boost as an Attach Element.

Therefore, Shantotto automatically does the same Lightning Damage against a Fire/Ice weak boss, and comes out miles ahead when they're weak to Lightning.

Xetherion

He means that you're doing the same amount of Lightning Damage as you're hitting weakness on Fire/Ice when EnThunder is active.

Meaningful bosses are only 50% vulnerable to elements (and sometimes even less) nowadays, which is the same boost as an Attach Element.

Therefore, Shantotto automatically does the same Lightning Damage against a Fire/Ice weak boss, and comes out miles ahead when they're weak to Lightning.

But Fire/Ice weak magicites have Lightning resistance, so that whole argument doesn't apply.

Falk

that puzzling face
i picked Maria BSB off gem 2nd choice

guess what i got today for 100gem

5Vt7Kir.jpg

i picked Maria BSB off gem 2nd choice

Ouch, at least I got my first in the bsb draw.

Spark offering hone, yes or no? 35% chance of 10%imperil. I don’t know if that is both hits in one use are combined 35% or if each hit is worth 35% or if they are separate, if you can land two imperils for one ability use. Guessing not on that one.

Seems like you’re better off just using tempest snipe?

Balphon

I shattered spark offering immediately, the proc rate is too low.

Its primary orb is ice, too, for reasons passing understanding.

Time for everyone's favorite activity, "Help Me Pick a BSB".

I've narrowed it down to 10 choices. (Note: I picked OK, Sarah and Fujin BSBs as my other three choices.)

Alphinaud
Pros: Self sustaining, useful for high end content, I have his SSB
Cons: Recurs frequently

Ayame
Pros: Future proof, rare synergy, uncommon element
Cons: Included in a future "choose your relic" promotion barring any potential Global change

Bartz 2
Pros: I have his OSB, uncommon element
Cons: Bartz relics appear everywhere

Basch
Pros: Husbando, I have all his other SBs including his OSB that scales with Holy use
Cons: I don't need it

Edge
Pros: I have his USB, both physical water Ninja skills are at R3, Semi-Husbando
Cons: No way to quickly build meter, I probably would just use his USB mostly

Lulu
Pros: She's cool, very rare Ice+ armor
Cons: It's not a good SB really, commands can be reflected

Shantotto
Pros: I have her CSB and both SSBs

Snow
Pros: Primo Husbando, very rare Ice+ armor, uncommon element, Last Stand SB, I want it
Cons: It's old, he has a better BSB coming soonish

Y'shtola
Pros: Wrathable Medica, I have SSII, I don't have a FFXIV Medica
Cons: Recurs frequently, I have Larsa and Iris's BSBs

Zack
Pros: I have his CSB, I need FFVII stuff
Cons: It recurs frequently

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Negator

Best two on your list for you are probably

Ayame: We don't know if we'll get the same relics and it's almost six months away.

Zack: For Zack to be able to contribute to his own Chain.

Snow: Only if you have Squall BSB2.

Best two on your list for you are probably

Ayame: We don't know if we'll get the same relics and it's almost six months away.

Zack: For Zack to be able to contribute to his own Chain.

Snow: Only if you have Squall BSB2.
Ayame and Zack (Alphinaud too) are probably the wisest selections, but I find them to be rather boring. I really want Snow’s BSB, but it’s purely an indulgent choice.

I saw Edge USB and stopped reading.

Choose Edgeeeeeeee
I feel like it’s too much trouble to build up two bars beforehand, particularly since both his ability slots would be spoken for to maximize his USB.

Really stuck between Sarah and Fujin on the CT banner. I'm only missing a medica in 1, 5, 11, and 15... very tempting to get Sarah just for coverage.

Heck, I'm thinking of getting Lenna's BSB for the same reason from the gem draw, but it looks terrible.

WarAdept

I feel like it’s too much trouble to build up two bars beforehand, particularly since both his ability slots would be spoken for to maximize his USB.

I have Shadow's USB and his BSB is my EnDark source (missed out on his LMR).

The EnElement for ninja spam is totally worth it.

I have Shadow's USB and his BSB is my EnDark source (missed out on his LMR).

The EnElement for ninja spam is totally worth it.
How do you set it up? Do you give him Mako Might and spam the commands until you can use his USB? I feel like the EnElement might run out by the time you finally get two blinks set up.

Looking at upcoming banners, I saw that there isn't another 5 event for like 6 months, so skipped Lenna. Also saw the 8 banner with all of Fujin's stuff coming up, so I'll try there for that stuff.

Chose Sarah BSB in the end to help with the ff1 torment and Vaan BSB because my 12 synergy sucks and it's a super strong BSB.

Feeling good about all this. Really helped me fill some holes. First choice Ayame BSB single-handedly let me complete the 11 torment Cid missions.

WarAdept

How do you set it up? Do you give him Mako Might and spam the commands until you can use his USB? I feel like the EnElement might run out by the time you finally get two blinks set up.

I run 2 Entrustbots. Shadow uses +40% Ninja RM. Using my sub 30 sec Holy Magicite runs, Shadow's turn order goes:

1. Fabula Guardian
2. Ancestral Reflection
3. Ancestral Reflection/Shadow Embodied (if AR procced twice turn 2)
(Entrusted a full bar and a bit)
4. BSB for EnDark
(Entrusted another 75%-80% of a bar)
5. USB
6. Shadow Embodied until boss dies

Usually get around 25 secs on Mist Dragon.

I run 2 Entrustbots. Shadow uses +40% Ninja RM. Using my sub Holy Magicite runs, Shadow's turn order goes:

1. Fabula Guardian
2. Ancestral Reflection
3. Ancestral Reflection/Shadow Embodied (if AR procced twice turn 2)
(Entrusted a full bar and a bit)
4. BSB for EnDark
(Entrusted another 75%-80% of a bar)
5. USB
6. Shadow Embodied until boss dies

Usually get around 25 secs on Mist Dragon.
I see. Something to think about. Thanks for the suggestions.

If anyone else has an thoughts, please feel free.

Shantotto
Pros: I have her CSB and both SSBs

Zack
Pros: I have his CSB, I need FFVII stuff
Cons: It recurs frequently

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I would choose one of these. I chose zack for this very reason, he has nothing to do with his sb after the chain is engaged. He will be great for jumpstarts, chain then double imperil then let your other wind guys go to town. Yes this is the boring choice here, sorry. Shans is great with her chain, but at least you have something to do with her sbars, but I would still choose zack ofpver her in this instance.

Kain

I forgot how different the requirements for mastery where back then, I have a couple of completes in the II event due to missed slows and shit like that.

ccbfan

Wow

Omega mp is a huge joke single player vs multi player. It's so much easier than the crystal tower one too.

Just completed it three times and he hit me like 1-2 times per fight.

Kenai

I did choose Sabin for my second 30th out of principle. Ayame's would have been better in terms of spread but I will deal without.

I also took Prishe BSB from the other banner for fun. Since I had Kain already most of the other stuff I had or wouldn't get much use. Vanille was a bit tempting but I do have Relm Ekko Aerith and Rosa USBs so I have options for instant healing. I have her Last Stand too so I might get some use out of her later.

Also did do a single 15 pull and get Iris BSB and Areana SSB. Iris is kinda awkward to use since she doesn't have Wrath like Ysh or Larsa but it's still a great BSB and she has Multibreak after some motes. The heavy armor will probably be used mostly as 15 synergy armor for Gladio which is funny since it's boob armor. But w/e

Decided to pull FF15 because my FF15 synergy consists of Engine Sword.

Uhhhhh

I pulled once, got his lmr and pulled again getting his bsb and promptos bow Ssb pentabreak. Decidedly meh, but since noctisnis already level 99 he is pretty strong and the bsb plus lmr means and endless supply of Omega drives. If I had an extra 500 dexterity motes I'd ld him for his three insta cast thing, lead with 3x Omega drives, then bsb, the recharge the Omega drive. Sounds like a fun time, particularly since my omegandrive is r3, I'm not afraid of it double casting and running out of abilities too fast.

Wow

Omega mp is a huge joke single player vs multi player. It's so much easier than the crystal tower one too.

Just completed it three times and he hit me like 1-2 times per fight.

*TWITCH* *TwItCh* *tWiTcH* o_O ...

I just spent ~4 hours in failing or disconnecting PUGs to get my 3 completions before it ends tonight.

Finally got my sub 30 strategy down for Shadow Dragon.

I would choose one of these. I chose zack for this very reason, he has nothing to do with his sb after the chain is engaged. He will be great for jumpstarts, chain then double imperil then let your other wind guys go to town. Yes this is the boring choice here, sorry. Shans is great with her chain, but at least you have something to do with her sbars, but I would still choose zack ofpver her in this instance.
I am leaning toward Zack ATM. Still gonna think about it a bit though. Thanks for the suggestion.

I forgot I never mastered FFIII "The earth stirs" - Bahamut's Lair 160

I went back to it with Bartz USB and Cloud USB/BSB2 :). Parade Float and Bahamut Sin are next.

Well two 100gem successes in a row. This time not a dupe and something useful, albeit for cms only, arcs bsb heal. With that I’m now im only missing bsb or usb heals for ii (have ssb)) v (unique medica) xv, fft (have ssb) 0 and beyond.

MrDaravon

After repeatedly saying I would sit down and do it, I FINALLY sat down and did a torment; did the FFV one and managed to clear all 3 difficulties AND do the CM's (including all 3 on the JS version). Goddamn my pulls this fest really really turned things around for me :D! Celes BSB2 was clutch for me there. Knowing I should that I should in theory be able to clear just about any content has gotten me off my ass a bit. That said I did try the A+ Dissidia raids solo and that went pretty poorly; even solo there's still a bit of lag and those fights are not fun.

I'm legit torn on what relics I should choose for our second choices, requesting assistance now. I've got it down to choosing 2 of these 3:

Bartz BSB2
Pros - I have his BSB1, USB, and x3 Spellblade LM. Dude is beast. Additionally I have virtually no Water options, only things of note are Edge BSB and Gogo (V) BSB.
Cons - Short term I don't have him fully dived; working on that now but currently only a little ways into his grid, but again this is a short term problem. However I'm also concerned that this would be almost overkill/not needed since I can already activate his chase off any spellblades including his BSB1. I also have very little FFX synergy so I plan on doing a pull when that new banner comes up and that has a lot of water stuff on it IIRC.

Y'shtola BSB
Pros - I have no healer BSB for 14, no current source of bubble (I'm not gonna count Yuna's SSB...), and I have her Wall so that's potentially useful, especially since she can Wrath.
Cons - I don't have dived at all, I don't even have enough 4* motes to finish the first grid. Additionally Relm's BSB is my current full-time heal option (with Vanille USB as a backup) and her Last Stand on that has been great. So I could argue this would be a sidegrade.

Fujin BSB
Pros - I think this speaks for itself; I also have her enWind SSB but I'm not sure how relevant that is or not?
Cons - I have okay (but not great) Wind options currently; Alph BSB, Bartz USB, Cloud OSB, Zack BSB, Freya BSB, and several wind SSB's oddly enough.

Typing that out I feel like Fujin is probably a lock, but I could make a case for or against the other two. I think the only thing that has me really considering Bartz BSB2 over Y'shtola is I only have two real Water options right now, so I guess I'm more or less looking for opinions on how good his BSB2 is.

Xetherion

You have Bartz USB and his triplecast LMR. Finish diving him, hone Engulfing Twinstrike, and you have all the Water DPS you need already i think.

His BSB2 isn't bad, but it's not great either.

Btw Falk, thank you for sharing your set up for Mist Dragon. I finished farming Shadow Dragon and finally went back to Mist Dragon today, got an easy 27s clear with the following set up, tweaked a bit from yours:

Relm, Shellga/Curada, USB, Ace Striker
Jihl, Memento/Dark Zone, BSB, Gathering Storm
Raines, Memento/unused, BSB, Scholar's Boon
Larsa, Wrath/Entrust, BSB, MM
Tyro, Magic Lure (forgot this doesn't work on WHT spells ;_;)/Entrust, Wall, DMT

Magicite: Shadow Dragon (imperil increases Raines' damage by like 1k per hit, plus Shadow Dragon itself does some decent damage)

After realizing Magic Lure doesn't work i switched Tyro to Faith/Dire Heal, should get an even faster clear next time.

Mist Dragon is so much easier than Shadow Dragon, it was a relief fighting her. Shadow is such RNG bullshit. If Raines doesn't dualcast first cmd1 i have to eat Black Fang, if it doesn't hit a healer, reset. Even if i avoid Black Fang or it hits a healer, if Shadow uses Frostblast, or just spams too many AOE in a row, reset. One clear today took an hour of resets until RNG went my way. I'm not looking forward to farming this asshole for Major Darks once i'm done getting all the other magicites L.80 cap broken.

Rubenov

Loving all these mythrils and orbs I'm getting in the Renewal Dungeons. Since I started playing in January, I've missed quite a bit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Did people just give up on Onion Bro? I noticed that the people I added ages ago all switched off Vessel as their friend summon. lol

Did people just give up on Onion Bro? I noticed that the people I added ages ago all switched off Vessel as their friend summon. lol

Rikku's USB is an upgraded version of it minus the burst commands. It gives the same boost and haste but adds Protectga/Shellga. Lots of people like to put their brand new relics as their friend summon as well. They probably just replaced Onion BSB with a shinier new USB/BSB they got from the recent fest.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Rikku's USB is an upgraded version of it minus the burst commands. It gives the same boost and haste but adds Protectga/Shellga. Lots of people like to put their brand new relics as their friend summon as well. They probably just replaced Onion BSB with a shinier new USB/BSB they got from the recent fest.
It's weird because pretty much all my Onion bros just disappeared, but I still have a lot of Shout users. Now a few of them stopped playing, but some people just didn't bother changing I guess.

Then again, I still have SG as my RW but I guess no one needs Wall anymore. lol

Xetherion

It's weird because pretty much all my Onion bros just disappeared, but I still have a lot of Shout users. Now a few of them stopped playing, but some people just didn't bother changing I guess.

Then again, I still have SG as my RW but I guess no one needs Wall anymore. lol

I still use your Wall RW for CMs sometimes, but not often.

Top Bottom