• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light E3 2010 Official Trailer

I think we should mock this thread even though it hasn't been posted before.
I see Square Enix decided to make a new Final Fantasy Mystic Quest instead of remaking FFV & FFVI.
I want to watch the Dragon Quest IX trailer again to get the horrible taste out of my mouth.

BlueWord

I know this game landed with a pretty cool reception in Japan, but I still think it looks interesting. As I recall, it was the battle system that was broken? Too little control, or something along those lines?

Still thinking I might pick this up, regardless.

Oli

I love the look of the game, but I'm concerned about the game itself. I may give it a shot just for the visuals though.

Pyrokai

I.....don't see as big of a problem as some of you. Looks interesting to me. If it's fun with four people, I'd love to get a group together to play.

Anyways......that song.......wasn't it on a FF website a while ago? Was that for THIS game? I like the song a lot for some reason.

Teknoman

Pyrokai said:
I.....don't see as big of a problem as some of you. Looks interesting to me. If it's fun with four people, I'd love to get a group together to play.

Anyways......that song.......wasn't it on a FF website a while ago? Was that for THIS game? I like the song a lot for some reason.

It was on the jp version of the game's site. Everyone was trying to figure out what it was going to be, and it went from 8-bit to mixed instruments and 8-bit sounds.

Lyphen said:
This is the one that barely lets you play, right?

I think the only part thats automated is magic targeting? Or is it basic attacks as well?

Well, this is obviously a cash in since they spent alot of time creating a nice 3D engine for the DS, and they may as well suck out a few more gil before having to switch to 3DS.

It's just a shame that this looks like it's inspired by the NES Final Fantasies in having a very simple narrative and focusing on combat.

The fact that you can see your armor is pretty cool though, if a bit late. I'll take DQ9 for that.

P.S. Music sounds like a wannabe Dragon Quest theme.

Poyunch

GAF used to love this game. :( It certainly is one of the prettier games and I much prefer it over the other Final Fantasy games on DS. I hated the chibi designs of those DS FFs.

Yeah the biggest problem is the fact that during battles everything is auto-targeted. Attacks hit the weakest enemy and healing items heals your weakest teammate. I've enjoyed flawed games before so I might enjoy this game.

I do really enjoy the fact that SE made it a priority to modernize old-style Final Fantasy. It's the biggest reason I'm hyped for this game.

edit: All the Youtube comments makes me sad.

Teknoman said:
Now people dont like the soundtrack?

My rule is that a Final Fantasy soundtrack must be hummable. I'm not just an Uematsu fanboy either (although I really am) - I think Masashi Hamauzu did an excellent job on 13. The theme for 13 is in my head constantly. I couldn't remember that clusterfuck of a theme 10 seconds after I heard it.

Sorry, if that sounded trollish. I'm just calling them as I hear em.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You know, I always thought this was a 2D title.

Seeing it for real now.... wow, much uglier than I thought.
Yuck, was hard to make out some of that.

Teknoman

Fourth Storm said:
My rule is that a Final Fantasy soundtrack must be hummable. I'm not just an Uematsu fanboy either (although I really am) - I think Masashi Hamauzu did an excellent job on 13. The theme for 13 is in my head constantly. I couldn't remember that clusterfuck of a theme 10 seconds after I heard it.

Sorry, if that sounded trollish. I'm just calling them as I hear em.

Oh no, i'm just talking about Magnus calling it painful :lol

Is it just me or do the characters in the trailer have some sort of resemblance to Miis? I kind of keep seeing a connection (animation? overall model?) but can't quite put my finger on it.

Is this like a Crystal Chronicles type game? 4 player co-op? I honestly just saw the trailer, searched on gaf and posted, never heard of the game before.

Teknoman

FunkyPajamas said:
Is it just me or do the characters in the trailer have some sort of resemblance to Miis? I kind of keep seeing a connection (animation? overall model?) but can't quite put my finger on it.

Is this like a Crystal Chronicles type game? 4 player co-op? I honestly just saw the trailer, searched on gaf and posted, never heard of the game before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOQI...CC031566C&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=1

Turn based RPG with a focus on classic elements. The characters look closer to Yoshida art for tactics and FF IIIds to me.

2vjsnqs.jpg

ampere

I think I remember some duckroll impressions of the JP version, don't think they were very positive iirc.

Lyphen said:
This is the one that barely lets you play, right?
That's the game I think it is

Teknoman

Do we know its been unchanged for the NA/EU release?

Then again, if it was...it probably would've been mentioned by now.

Tiktaalik said:
The art direction is soooo cool.

I want to want, but didn't JGAF say it was pretty bad? :(

If there's a newer thread I apologize, searching from my iPhone I can't find anything else.

Anyway: I think the general consensus was that the game had some flaws or annoyances (limited inventory, etc.), and that the targeting was most certainly not the worst of them. I remember reading in another thread (not the import thread) where someone said that most of the time the targeting worked fine, and it was just particular situations where it fucked you over.

Either way, I'm still interested in this, and I love the art direction and soundtrack (the two points highlighted most in the import thread). I have no idea why anyone would think it was painful, I still listen to it from time to time for a few select tracks.

Effect

I really don't understand why Square is even bothering to bring this game over. They can't expect this to do well can they?

seady

Is this game like Dragon Quest IX? The trailer sure seems so.
I am deep in love with DQIX now, wonder if this will be the same.

MechaX said:
I'd be on board with this if they took out that auto-targeting mess.

Doesn't sound like they've made any changes to the core mechanics. The inventory limit is still in place, as is the auto-targeting.

I absolutely adore the art style, and I know what the games limitations are, even with the flood of handheld rpgs coming out this year I'll likely give this a shot.

Top Bottom