• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 (Fan) Translation Released

Taruranto

Why can I only accept 1 quest at time, this is so silly. :[

On other hand coming from ARR it's very cool to see the elemental wheel in FF again.

Why can I only accept 1 quest at time, this is so silly. :[

On other hand coming from ARR it's very cool to see the elemental wheel in FF again.

Fucking this lol. I've been screwed over by that system once already by accepting the wrong request that had to be done on world map in combination with a Combat Exercise. Should've picked the other one instead, but how was I to know lol.

Oh well, there is always NG+.

YoungOne

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to play Cinque (Mace)? It feels like she's a bit too cumbersome, at least initially, because her swing has such a long wind up. I get that it eventually chains, but is there a way to position her so that she doesn't get hit so easily?
My set up with her is Full Swing and shotgun Magic (lightning). I use full swing to catch the kill sights as I think it's her fastest move with the enemies that have patterns I am familiar with, using the magic to catch the quicker enemies. The full swing I don't use it till right after I dodge an enemy attack, since doing it before then just leaves you open to enemy attacks.

Just finished Chapter 4, and just started Chapter 5.

Holy crap, did the story take an even darker tone lol.
But really though, the Queen of a sovereign state whom you personally met not 5 minutes ago who is brokering a hastily drawn up truce is suddenly assassinated and your team is made out to be patsies. How convenient. Did they know you were also right smack in the middle of their territory doing covert ops too?

Also, dat Byakko L'Cie lol. It's so bloody unfair, I was at a 0 deaths streak at that point and he just insta kills Queen and there's nothing you can do about it for the first encounter. Had to do the ol' Rebirth Don't Die trick with Rem after a quick reload, but the death still counted. Fortunately 1 death still grants an A in that particular mission where it would have been a B in every other mission.

For his actual segment where you have to dodge all of his attacks, I had to do it solo. (with Queen). Those mentally challenged AI can't dodge shit and were just dying all the time and further screwing my death records.

I'm sorta confused about the combat excersises, specifically how some side quests can only be done after some of the combat exercises are completed, but the two combat exercises I have available are for level 30+ but I'm only at level 19. Are these for NG+?

aravuus

Talking about the
assassination
, what was the bullshit about
them remembering or not remembering her? "We could have done it cause maybe we wouldn't remember if she hadn't died by our hand" or whatever, they kind of lost me there. Haven't seen any mention about memories or anything and their connection to deaths?

I'm sorta confused about the combat excersises, specifically how some side quests can only be done after some of the combat exercises are completed, but the two combat exercises I have available are for level 30+ but I'm only at level 19. Are these for NG+?

Yep, NG+

Sykotik

Talking about the
assassination
, what was the bullshit about
them remembering or not remembering her? "We could have done it cause maybe we wouldn't remember if she hadn't died by our hand" or whatever, they kind of lost me there. Haven't seen any mention about memories or anything and their connection to deaths?

It's been brought up several times that
people lose their memory of people that have died
. That's why they have memory tags, as well as some mentions of
people writing down everybody they go on missions with in case they die, so they can at least have record of having known them
Kurasame
took this to another level,
writing down what he could with his own blood before his comrade died

We're in pretty much the same spot, so none of this should be a spoiler to you. But, you may have missed it.

aravuus

It's been brought up several times that
people lose their memory of people that have died
. That's why they have memory tags, as well as some mentions of
people writing down everybody they go on missions with in case they die, so they can at least have record of having known them
Kurasame
took this to another level,
writing down what he could with his own blood before his comrade died

We're in pretty much the same spot, so none of this should be a spoiler to you. But, you may have missed it.

Oh yeah, I had a conversation with a moogle about the tags. Can't believe I've missed all this lmao, I should sleep more. Thanks for the clarification!

Unless you're willing to spend an inordinate amount of time exploiting the 5 in a row battle system to level up. I think they put it there for a reason, mobs go up from level 10-20 to level 30 - 40+ if you fight enough subsequent battles for the same encounter type, and if you're decent enough at killsight timings you can take 'em on at lower levels.

You will miss citizen's requests in those afflicted cities which you can capture in the combat exercises. There're even shops that sell pretty decent weapons/accessories/items there, and also more importantly, early airship access to those regions. E.g. Completely conquering the Northern Togoreth Region and the Iscah regions via the Combat Exercises will give you 2 convenient airship access routes.

The next one I've to do is combined with a request for Rem to do it solo and get an S rank in it too lol.

Do the summer costumes appear as soon as you get control of the first trio, or do they appear more later in the game? My game imported the Summer data but they didn't appear with that white uniform at first.

Thanks, I'll give that save a shot. Are the summer costumes from the demo? It asked me to import a demo save, but I'm on ppsspp so I didn't have one.

MechaX

Is anyone here rolling PPSSPP while using an Intel HD 3000 card? It runs decently for me, baring lag every time I collect... uh, souls from defeated enemies. It definitely lags when there are a fair amount of enemies on screen and I'm not really playing the game on high settings. Plus, my laptop tends to violently rebel each and every time I even attempt to start up MotionJoy (by "violently rebel," I mean "hard crash to blue screen of death and entire laptop starts getting as hot as the sun's surface").

I'm weighing my options on either buying a 360 controller for windows to eliminate the MotionJoy problem, or just picking up a refurbished PSP and playing it that way since half of my PSP-2000's screen is dead. How does the game run on PSP at least?

Sykotik

Is anyone here rolling PPSSPP while using an Intel HD 3000 card? It runs decently for me, baring lag every time I collect... uh, souls from defeated enemies. It definitely lags when there are a fair amount of enemies on screen and I'm not really playing the game on high settings. Plus, my laptop tends to violently rebel each and every time I even attempt to start up MotionJoy (by "violently rebel," I mean "hard crash to blue screen of death and entire laptop starts getting as hot as the sun's surface").

I'm weighing my options on either buying a 360 controller for windows to eliminate the MotionJoy problem, or just picking up a refurbished PSP and playing it that way since half of my PSP-2000's screen is dead. How does the game run on PSP at least?

I'm assuming you're using a DS3/Sixaxis. If so, uninstall MotionJoy. It's a bad piece of software that causing a host of issues, such as your BSOD problem.

Install: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller.

Ignore all the stuff about blue-tooth, unless you have a adaptor you want to use. The instructions are a bit convoluted. Install the first 4 things under Requirements. You just need to extract the download, run the SCPDriver file, make sure it installed, close it, then run the SCPServer, it should pick up your controller. SCPServer has to be running for the controller to function.

As for performance issues, make sure Texture Scaling is disabled. Apart from that, there isn't a whole lot you can do. Apart from the all the things ambient linked below <_<. Good luck!

Uninstall MotionJoy!

Sykotik

I have some gripes.

The enemy variety is bad. I looked in the codex bestiary, noticed it kept track of how many of each you've killed. I killed ~600 regular soldiers, while everything else is below 100.

Also, the enemy encounter design is repetitive. Also, the random encounters seem to be heavily skewed toward a single encounter. I'm trying to get a certain enemy to spawn, I've fought the same encounter around 15 times, a different one twice, but I still haven't found the one enemy I need for this stupid request.

I have some gripes.

The enemy variety is bad. I looked in the codex bestiary, noticed it kept track of how many of each you've killed. I killed ~600 regular soldiers, while everything else is below 100.

Also, the enemy encounter design is repetitive. Also, the random encounters seem to be heavily skewed toward a single encounter. I'm trying to get a certain enemy to spawn, I've fought the same encounter around 15 times, a different one twice, but I still haven't found the one enemy I need for this stupid request.

I have noticed that some types of enemies are more likely to spawn in certain weather conditions. There are 3 that I've encountered so far; sunny, foggy and rainy.

Also makes a difference if you're in a certain geographical type, during that particular weather condition.

As for the enemy variety, it sort of makes sense in the earlier portions of the game when you're mainly fighting against the Milites empire's grunts and their mechas/animals.

What's NG+ the requests or the combat exercises?

The combat exercises. Requests depend on their own requirements. Some of them are obviously impossible to do unless your team is of a certain level/ability or they are coupled with those NG+ dependant combat exercises.

E.g. I just finished one request that
required Rem to do a certain combat exercise solo and get an S rank for it. The level requirement for the combat exercise was level 38.

Oh btw, to the person who asked much, much earlier on about the next weapon upgrades for your team after the ones back in the Academy Weapon Research center (ATK+5).

The next ones you can get (ATK+9 for everyone) are from the town of Iskol in the region of Iscah, which you can only access after finishing a level 35+ Combat Operation, which also grants you dominion of the entire region.

Yeah....

butanebob

Neo Member
Good god this game is garbage.
I don't even want to know what demographic they're aiming at, i don't think they even know themselves - it's a complete cluster fuck.
Every scene must have 5000 explosions and/or intense melodrama, characters and story points that have not been introduced properly or explained anywhere, combined with hideous character design and no substance "push butan to awesome" mechanics.
Do Square employ 9 year olds as writers and then feed them a bunch of sugar and caffeine? They seem to just create a bunch of videos and characters that they think look "bad ass" and then try to patch a game on top of it with adhesive tape.
It's really obvious that all the talent left the studio long ago, they're really a hollow caricature of their former selves. It's quite sad. RIP Square/FF series.

WarRock

Peopl reaching Chapter 5/6 are going to go through one of my favorite missions and one of the most impressive moments of the game IMO.

And whoever asked about weapon upgrades, remember to do Special Orders, some of them reward you with new ones (chapter 4 spoiler: for instance,
when you are fleeing from the Byakko and the Pyramid Head-esque soldier appears, you can "observe him for one minute" and get a new flute for Deuce
)

Thanks, I'll give that save a shot. Are the summer costumes from the demo? It asked me to import a demo save, but I'm on ppsspp so I didn't have one.
Yep, you need to find/unlock each one in the demo and the import the save.

I have some gripes.

Each "area" (plains, forests, beach) on the map may or not may have unique enemies, and some of them only appear in certain dungeons that you can access on the second half of the game and on subsequent playthroughs. But yeah, there is not a lot, most of the time you are fighting Empire troops and some of the time
Concordia troops

Taruranto

Chapter 3 last mission was very cool. We Metal Gear now. :eek:

Although the IA is VERY bad,
they all got oneshotted by the boss lol.

What's the filename/folder for the TYpe-0 save data?

It's NPJH50443GAMEDATAX and NPJH50443SYSTEMDATA

(Where X is a digit representing the savedata number)

And whoever asked about weapon upgrades, remember to do Special Orders, some of them reward you with new ones (chapter 4 spoiler: for instance,
when you are fleeing from the Byakko and the Pyramid Head-esque soldier appears, you can "observe him for one minute" and get a new flute for Deuce
)

I've to admit I have not done any S.O.s yet since I got kinda intimidated by the dire consequences part if you fail them lol.

Plus I'm kinda obsessed in getting S ranks for all my missions and can do without the additional stress S.O.s bring to the table.

Bah, if you're really geting some primo stuff from it I guess I will turn those on for the next missions.

You can't do those on mission replays, can you?

I don't really care for the way S.O.s show up / are accepted. Hopefully in the remake they can figure out something better (probably not).

A single screen will have 2-3 show up sometimes, especially with the ever reoccurring one about avoiding damage that I will never accept mid combat.

Finished the game two days ago, and man, what a journey.

The final dungeon was incredibly tiresome to complete, and I was always hoping to reach the end. The length made the final scenes of the game so relatable though. Seeing Class Zero utterly drained and wondering what to do next was so powerful, and I was so dumbstruck when I realized they were all dead the next scene, not just exhausted. I really did feel like I was part of their journey towards the end.

Seriously, every scene was so completely enjoyable to watch and experience. It really brings me back to PS1 character interaction, when worlds felt so tightknit and immersive. The game's not perfect -- no pause during menus, not enough save points, barebones towns, perhaps a bit too much narration in between chapters instead of letting us experience the war -- but it certainly has been more enjoyable for me than any of the Lightning saga. Already going through it a second time, kind of stuck on the Rem sidequest that wants me to have her solo a Combat Exercise. Can't wait for this to come out officially for the PS4.

Izuna

Banned
I used to have the UMD for this game but I got rid of it long ago. I will just wait for the console release. Still had my ISO rip on my PC but this thread reminded me not to keep it.

Indignate

Hey, Seven's AI, could you maybe not use the fire version of your elemental whip on things that get healed by fire damage, thanks.

She's lucky that Queen's Rush just destroys anything and any damage healed is quickly negated again.

Wow, sup with the rage a few posts up? Calm down buddy. If you don't like it, cool, it's a fan translation of a game never released here.

I ran into a problem on the first boss, the game runs good until I hit that guy, then it slideshows like a powerpoint presentation. Curses. These were the exact settings that had VC3 running like a champ.

Already going through it a second time, kind of stuck on the Rem sidequest that wants me to have her solo a Combat Exercise. Can't wait for this to come out officially for the PS4.

Heh, the one which requires her to solo it and get an S rank for it? I did it during my current normal NG playthrough, but bear in mind I spent hours beforehand exploiting the battle mechanics to get to within a more reasonble level range with the requirements.

I am grossly overpowered at the moment because of my insistence in wanting to do the Combat Exercises during my first playthrough and filthy rich thanks to all the monster drops that I kept on selling since they cap at only 99 items of each. Man are those gifts you can purchase in the towns expensive though.

Finished the game two days ago, and man, what a journey.

The game's not perfect -- no pause during menus, not enough save points, barebones towns, perhaps a bit too much narration in between chapters instead of letting us experience the war -- but it certainly has been more enjoyable for me than any of the Lightning saga. Already going through it a second time, kind of stuck on the Rem sidequest that wants me to have her solo a Combat Exercise. Can't wait for this to come out officially for the PS4.

Dude, the very presence of a fully traversable world map, chocobo breeding (however rudimentary), and actual NPCs to chat with in towns + shops that you can visit already makes it 10x better than the first game from the XIII trilogy. Seriously.

I'm amazed they can pull all that off on the PSP but couldn't even be bothered for the mainline series on the much more powerful consoles.

Yeah, I neglected a lot of characters during my first playthrough, Rem included. Also didn't bother with requests or grinding. Wish they had EXP share for all characters.

Vamphuntr

Started it yesterday and so far I would put it in the same pile as Crisis Core and the Third Birthday. Another wacky SE PSP game that ended up with mixed result. I have a lot of problems with the game. It seems first and foremost the PSP can't really handle what they wanted to do with the game. It chugs and drops frames often and you need to use many button combinations to do actions since they ran out of buttons to use. It has the dumb camera assigned to D-pad like Peace Walker too and it cause problems here since pretty much everything kill you in 2-3 hits and you can't see what's behind you easily.

The idea of having 14 characters is kind of nice since they play all differently but I find that it's handled really poorly in game. The game has gimmicks where some of your characters get killed in cutscenes events, by failing SO, by a lol lvl 99 monster in your face or a cheap attack that deals thousands of damage. Once your main team gets KO you get stuck with leftovers which pretty much force you to grind the leftovers beforehand so that they can complete the mission. I get the idea that you pretty much have 12 extra lives but I don't have time to grind 12 characters.

I'm finding the whole battle system to be really janky and clunky.

Seems the fan translation is a tad buggy. My whole Crystarium codex is blank now. With all entries empty. Unless that's plot related.

linkboy

Started it yesterday and so far I would put it in the same pile as Crisis Core and the Third Birthday. Another wacky SE PSP game that ended up with mixed result. I have a lot of problems with the game. It seems first and foremost the PSP can't really handle what they wanted to do with the game. It chugs and drops frames often and you need to use many button combinations to do actions since they ran out of buttons to use. It has the dumb camera assigned to D-pad like Peace Walker too and it cause problems here since pretty much everything kill you in 2-3 hits and you can't see what's behind you easily.

The idea of having 14 characters is kind of nice since they play all differently but I find that it's handled really poorly in game. The game has gimmicks where some of your characters get killed in cutscenes events, by failing SO, by a lol lvl 99 monster in your face or a cheap attack that deals thousands of damage. Once your main team gets KO you get stuck with leftovers which pretty much force you to grind the leftovers beforehand so that they can complete the mission. I get the idea that you pretty much have 12 extra lives but I don't have time to grind 12 characters.

I'm finding the whole battle system to be really janky and clunky.

Seems the fan translation is a tad buggy. My whole Crystarium codex is blank now. With all entries empty. Unless that's plot related.

The bolded is the reason why I soft-modded my Vita. Trying to play Peace Walker with the camera controls on the d-pad pissed me off to no end (the ability to map them to the Vita's right analog stick makes both of these games so much better).

No problem, soft modding a PSP today is downright easy.

Einhander

I played the first 30 minutes of the game today. I'm surprised at how violent and heartbreaking the game is, and this is from the opening scene alone.
When that soldier was on the ground, bloodied up, with his equally bloodied up chocobo companion, it was an emotional scene. Then he breaks down and yells "I don't want to die!"
That pulled at my heart strings at that point.

Zukuu

Banned
after putting in around 20 hours I can safely say that the game is overall pretty decent, but fails to be a good final fantasy experience due to a plethora of reasons.

Einhander

Assigning the camera movement to the D-pad was very stupid, as it takes away from valuable time in reacting to enemy attacks. It's a clumsy user interface. I think the HD version will benefit greatly from having dual sticks on the controller, a larger screen, and more buttons.

^^^ All those complaints are null and void if played using a Vita or on PPSSPP with a semi decent PC/Android device lol.

I'm enjoying this immensely using my wired x360 controller. Camera issues? Performance issues? What's that?

raven777

PSP_Claw.jpg

this is how you are supposed to be holding the psp and play.

Top Bottom