• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 (Fan) Translation Released

georly

Likely scenario. The game will load the opening movie even if the driver isn't set to Inferno, but setting it to Inferno allows the PSP to load the other cutscenes without issue. So if you aren't getting past the opening loading screen there may be an issue with the ISO you've got. Make sure the unpatched ISOs are fine to begin with.

Repatching in admin mode seems to have done the trick. I apparently didnt run in admin mode the first time.

Vamphuntr

Omg this game is so fucking annoying and stupid.

I'm stuck at the final boss:
After I had to select each character to let them die, I ended up with SICE as last character. After the stupid movie they all got revived and now I'm stuck with SICE since the boss isn't able to kill her (I literally have the game in the background playing for 10 minutes and I'm still alive. I need her to be dead to get one of my main characters out... HOW?! Even unequipping the weapon and everything didn't help). She is level 26 or something and I do ZERO damage to the boss.
What can I do? :X

I reloaded and did everything again,
making sure NINE dies as last... WHY THE FUCK DID I GET TREY NOW?!
What the fuck is this shit?

Okay I got it... fucking break-only boss again, zzzz. Can't wait till I've finished this POS. Seriously, the game started out great and became more and more a hassle to actually sit through. The story doesn't make any sense (hello Machina 0/) and the gameplay got more and more bad (break-only bosses in a row etc). The last dungeon was literally the worst I've seen in a while. You know how annoying it is to do everything 3 times in a game? Well how about you do it FUCKING 12(!) times. Why is this called a RPG again? You can kill him lvl 1 just as fine... in the end I actually enjoyed FF 13 more. At least I had mildly FUN with that title. This was a chore to play after some point.

Is there anywhere the alternative ending to be found? (which you get after the 2nd playthrough or something) Didn't find it on youtube. Or even better, a 100% save game so I can watch it myself in the codex.

You're not encouraging me to finish it haha. I'm somewhere in Chapter 7 hoping it ends soon.

linkboy

PSP_Claw.jpg

this is how you are supposed to be holding the psp and play.

Screw that, I'd rather go through the hassle of modding my Vita (which I did) then try to play a PSP game like that.

Einhander

Count me in the "disappointed that all the characters don't gain experience at the same time" camp. It's going to be a pain in the ass to keep everyone at even levels throughout the game. I've been grinding three characters at a time. I'm loving this game, though, that slight grievance aside. =D

aravuus

You're not encouraging me to finish it haha. I'm somewhere in Chapter 7 hoping it ends soon.

Same here. The game keeps losing its initial shine crazy fast. I'll try to finish it today so I can forget about it lol.

e: no wait, only chapter 5, fuck. lol

e2: no wait part 2, i'm overleveled as fuck and i can destroy my way through. chapter 7 now

aravuus

Fuck this dumbass final dungeon, I'm done with this game. I agree with Zukuu's earlier post on pretty much everything.

Story was stupid and made no sense. It felt like half the cutscenes were missing, shit just happened and got never shown to you. Fighting was fun for the first 4 chapters, then it started getting increasingly annoying. Characters were... Well, what the hell can I say? I don't even know them, why should I give two fucks about anyone when I barely know their names.

In the end, I enjoyed XIII and XIII-2 more than this game, and they were very, very mediocre. What a massive disappointment.

e:
I guess the world's in an infinite cycle or something? which is always cool, shame they fucked up the execution real hard

at least the cgi cut scenes were really really cool till the end

Soriku

Fuck this dumbass final dungeon, I'm done with this game. I agree with Zukuu's earlier post on pretty much everything.

Story was stupid and made no sense. It felt like half the cutscenes were missing, shit just happened and got never shown to you. Fighting was fun for the first 4 chapters, then it started getting increasingly annoying. Characters were... Well, what the hell can I say? I don't even know them, why should I give two fucks about anyone when I barely know their names.

In the end, I enjoyed XIII and XIII-2 more than this game, and they were very, very mediocre. What a massive disappointment.

e:
I guess the world's in an infinite cycle or something? which is always cool, shame they fucked up the execution real hard

Ugh this is one of my peeves. Highly underdeveloped characters that I may only have a passing interest in, but nothing more...

It's even a problem in FF XIII-2 where there are two (!) main characters, yet Serah and Noel still feel underdeveloped. At least they have good personalities, but they're not great characters.

Definitely wondering what the reactions will be when the HD version comes out.

Cikay

Well, in the end this seems to be a typical Hajime Tabata game. These disappointed reactions remind me of my experience with The 3rd Birthday : impressive beginning, gameplay which seems fun at first, then after some time the game becomes a chore, chaining annoying, long and boring bosses one after another.

I'm 5 hours in Type-0 and I appreciate it, but seeing these comments does not make me want to continue playing. There is no way I'm going through a 3rdBday-ish nightmare again (especially if this game is 40h long).

Sinople

Well... that's the kind of impressions I expected. Hence why I tried to dampen the hype in the other thread.
Chances are that, for all its fault and how disappointing it was, XIII was actually the best game of this whole Fabula Nova Crystallis debacle.

aravuus

Well... that's the kind of impressions I expected. Hence why I tried to dampen the hype in the other thread.
Chances are that, for all its fault and how disappointing it was, XIII was actually the best game of this whole Fabula Nova Crystallis debacle.

For now, at least. I still have a lot of faith for XV, even if it's not coming out in a long time.

e: and xiii-2 was better lol

Isn't that the point of NG+, to flesh out the missing story scenes for all your characters?

I notice there are a lot of ???? marks in the history section that're left to filled up, even though I think I'm close to the end of the game now.

That's the only way it'd make sense to me. Otherwise it'd just be immensely poor execution on their part.

Not to mention the missable event cutscenes that you couldn't possibly see in your 1st playthrough due to insufficient freetime allocation. You will miss out, there's no way around it.

I'm at the start of Chapter 7 now (no breaks/freetime to fuck around after you start the mission in Chapter 5, it goes straight to Chapter 6 right away, holy crap.) with 7 days 12 hours to do the rest of the possible events (dat
Kazusa/Emina stuff takes quite a while
), and I'm still having a blast, even though there are definitely blanks to be filled for me of the storyline.

The Celestia fight in Chapter 5 was quite something. I was actually ahead of her in level at that point (54), but her attacks can still OHKO the characters. Lost my 2 AI pals that way, gave me a B in the Death score which reduced overall rank to an A. lol.

The Gilgamesh fight in Chapter 6 was quite enjoyable, but it felt like an Akkad 2.0 fight to me, albeit much easier since he's not immune to magic for break sights.

This game kinda reminds of FFX-2, with all its events that require additional playthroughs in order to get the best ending and make the most sense out of the plot and storyline.

I can understand the disappointment others have for the game after carrying such lofty expectations. I came into it looking for a game better than FFXIII/XIII-2/LR and I'm still not disappointed yet. Not quite yet.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah I personally think they rushed this game out the door with the endgame stuff since after Chapter 7 the game just jumps out of nowhere and I'll agree with the concerns that people are having. However I didn't find the final boss hard at all, it just requires moderately good coordination with your attacks for a break sight and if you suck at that then I guess it will be challenging.

And besides even after all that you never fight the 2 big bad's responsible for the mess to begin with

Yeah, it's frustrating.

The big issues for me are;

- They use combat balance typically found in MMOs, where the discrepancy between your level and the enemy's level skews defense exponentially. If an enemy is ~15 or so levels above you, they tend to one-shot you and take next to no damage, regardless of what your stats are.
- The combat is too focused on Kill-Sight, in my opinion. Certain characters fare much better due to their attack speed or range, making some characters feel very lacking, especially ones with delayed attack animations, such as Sice, Cater, Rem, Cesque, Nine, etc.
- One quest at a time.
- No shared exp, even at a reduced rate.
- Companion A.I is bad. I think if they added something like the Gambit system in XII, it could be better.
- Encounters are repetitive.
- Slow equipment progression.
- Very limited slots for magic and abilities.

I guess that's all for now.

Pretty much how I felt when I played it but increase the annoyance due to PSP disc load times.

KillSight is annoying just like Stagger was in FFXIII. Maybe even more as this is real time action. Couple this with repetitive enemies and difficulty spikes and the experience begins to sour. Just things I hope they fix somehow for HD.

georly

I got it up and running last night but decided to do AAI/AAI2 first (replaying miles edgeworth AAI1 before starting AAI2). You guys are making me not want to play this game now. I assume the game starts slow at the beginning... so at what point in the game do I get to the point where I can intelligently decide if I want to keep playing? At what point are all the mechanics unlocked and I can judge if it's fun enough to finish the game or not.

Renpatsu

I got it up and running last night but decided to do AAI/AAI2 first (replaying miles edgeworth AAI1 before starting AAI2). You guys are making me not want to play this game now. I assume the game starts slow at the beginning... so at what point in the game do I get to the point where I can intelligently decide if I want to keep playing? At what point are all the mechanics unlocked and I can judge if it's fun enough to finish the game or not.

I'm not sure about the others, but for me personally marathoning through this game is only going to make the mission structure a repetitive slog that will wear you down quickly (that is if you aren't partial to the battle system, I don't mind it). In doing so you only make the handheld game design far more pronounced than if you tackle a chapter or even a mission a day.

Don't worry too much about grinding out all your characters because NG+ is also factored into the game design. Replaying the game is essential to piecing together the entire story as well as being a embedded into the narrative conceit of the game.

georly

I'm not sure about the others, but for me personally marathoning through this game is only going to make the mission structure a repetitive slog that will wear you down quickly (that is if you aren't partial to the battle system, I don't mind it). In doing so you only make the handheld game design far more pronounced than if you tackle a chapter or even a mission a day.

Don't worry too much about grinding out all your characters because NG+ is also factored into the game design. Replaying the game is essential to piecing together the entire story as well as being a embedded into the narrative conceit of the game.

I only play my handhelds right before bed unless it's something I *REALLY* want to play (like smash or zelda), so it shouldn't be a problem to play this game 1 hour at a time.

Taruranto

Any tips on how to deal with Soldier bosses who get the "Fury" status? I can do most special missions just fine, but if I meet one of them it's basically a game over for me unless I get veeery lucky. :/

About the complaints: I think a lot had to do with the fact it was hyped as the savior of FF and people forgetting it's a PSP game first and foremost and a spin-off.

Overall I think it's a solid 7/10 for me. It does have a lot of flaws, but I'm having fun with it.

Sakujou

Banned
wow, in this day and age, they are using file factory or uploaded?

this is basically monetizing and not helping the community.

there are some 1-click-hosters such as mega.co.nz who are giving you full speed,unlimited traffic and such.

anyone willing to ask the majesty himself and upload this in a better and more comfortable way?

i didnt see this thread UNTIL TODAY!?!?! what happened the last few days.... did i miss something?

oh and a question to the people who already finished the game:

how long did it take?
did you grind or rushed through the game?

Sykotik

I beat it for the first time yesterday. Last dungeon was pretty bad. Last boss was dumb. You can't even seem to die to it so I don't know how any one would have any trouble with it.

I think Chapter 6 was the best in the game, iirc.

I think my list of dislikes far exceed my list of likes. I'm having trouble thinking of things I actually liked, after having gone through the whole thing once.

I'll try, though.

[Likes]
- The setting. I like the sort of rival-nations type thing going on.
*whelp it's been about 5 minutes and I can't think of something else to put here.
- The story, at first. Maybe I'll like the rest of it if I complete the game two more times? Ugh.
- CG Cut-scenes.

[Dislikes]
- Unbalanced Combat
- Only one quick-slot for an item.
- Opening inventory doesn't pause.
- No Shared EXP
- Limited options in combat
- Break/Kill-sight being a focus. I think this was used as a crutch, to avoid real balance.
- Time Limit
- Walled-off world map.
- Uninspired world map. Every town looks the same, so I don't remember where or what they are, making the world map confusing to navigate.
- Severe lack of enemy variety.
- Severe lack of encounter variety.
- Slow moving characters.
- Slow attacking characters.
- Can only change characters at a Save Point, unless one dies.
- Can't upgrade, change any equipment or spells or abilities unless at a save point.
- S.Os take too long to activate. I'm usually running around enemies until it pops, so I don't accidentally fail it before I even know what it is. Takes even longer if an NPC is talking.
- One quest at a time.
- Whiny-babby Machina
- Chocobos being one-time use.
- Eidolons. Jack, at level 40, was lasting longer and doing far more damage than the level 40
Odin
. Also requires a death, so inherently is less desirable than the other 2 choices.
- Last Dungeon.
- Last Boss.
- Most bosses.
- Most things.

5/10. For some reason this still held my interest, sort of like a Dynasty Warriors game.

Sykotik

wow, in this day and age, they are using file factory or uploaded?

this is basically monetizing and not helping the community.

there are some 1-click-hosters such as mega.co.nz who are giving you full speed,unlimited traffic and such.

anyone willing to ask the majesty himself and upload this in a better and more comfortable way?

i didnt see this thread UNTIL TODAY!?!?! what happened the last few days.... did i miss something?

oh and a question to the people who already finished the game:

how long did it take?
did you grind or rushed through the game?

There was a MEGA link earlier in the thread, but I just checked it and it's been removed.

My first play-through was about 45 hours. I tried to do most side-quests, until the very end of the game. I grinded for a few hours.

Taruranto

Jeez, what's up up
Qaator
battle in chapter 7? I'm like 15 levels over the mission and he went through my characters like they were made of cheese. :/

Yup. This may have well been the final boss, cause this guy was serious.

What, the second encounter with that dude in the flying mecha?

Just dealt with him, he died in 17 seconds with a few Thunder RFs to the face during one Break Sight opportunity. My fastest mission clear record yet.

A fully upgraded Thunder RF spell is a spammable instrument of death against any Byakko enemy lol. Only 5 MP per cast ftw.

And that was the whole mission? What a let down lol.

Granted I was level 55 lol, 60 hours on the clock now.

Bebpo

Banned
And now people are seeing why it wasn't a big deal that this was left in Japan until now.

Soundtrack and story "idea" are the only real good things. Story execution & game play is a mess.

When this wasn't coming over people were hyping this game up as the second coming of real quality FF game as opposed to an era of XIII. Yeah...no.

Hmm.. I'm now in Chapter 8, and yeah.... my opinion of the game has just dropped lol. I wasn't too down on it like you guys were until stuff happened in Chapter 8.

Btw, Sykotik, quite a number of that long laundry list of complaints you had in your previous post could all be addressed in the HD port. Mostly convenience stuff and whole lot of streamlining.

Amidst all the complaints, I still have to say that this is quite a lavishly produced game for the PSP. It just seemed to fizzle out in the final act.

Taruranto

Well, the narrative took a nosedive in chapter 8.
The empire fell after 1 battle and suddenly it's the Apocalypse? Uh?
Getting some Xenogears disk 2 vibes here.

Just dealt with him, he died in 17 seconds with a few Thunder RFs to the face during one Break Sight opportunity. My fastest mission clear record yet.

A fully upgraded Thunder RF spell is a spammable instrument of death against any Byakko enemy lol. Only 5 MP per cast ftw.

Yeah, I did the same thing, switched to Rem and cheesed him in 1 minute, lol.

I'm only up to chapter 5 and enjoying it so far mostly, although it does seem to be giving me way too much free time and not enough people to talk to. Is there something else I should be doing besides occasionally grinding?

These reactions are reminding me of Bravely Default and
Chapter 5
. I recall forums having a positive reaction to that game before the localisation as well.

wrowa

Oh. So this game isn't actually good? People lied to me, I'm incredibly disappointed. I'm still going to pick it up some time, I guess.

aravuus

Well, the narrative took a nosedive in chapter 8.
The empire fell after 1 battle and suddenly it's the Apocalypse? Uh?
Getting some Xenogears disk 2 vibes here.

Yea it was odd to say the least, I took a momentary glance at my facebook during a cutscene and suddenly
there are these things that one-shot you and are invincible and it's the end of the world?
Been a while when I've said "what the fuck" out loud out of pure confusion. It's like the game was supposed to be 5 chapters longer, the last 5 chapters just got squished into one.

Oh. So this game isn't actually good? People lied to me, I'm incredibly disappointed. I'm still going to pick it up some time, I guess.

I'm sure some people think it's good, but it's a massive disappointment. I personally wouldn't recommend it, both the story and gameplay start out interesting and then just turn to shit later on.

Soriku

I'm only up to chapter 5 and enjoying it so far mostly, although it does seem to be giving me way too much free time and not enough people to talk to. Is there something else I should be doing besides occasionally grinding?

These reactions are reminding me of Bravely Default and
Chapter 5
. I recall that game having a positive reaction to that game before the localisation as well.

Original BD probably wouldn't be very good with no encounter slider and chapters 5-8 being relatively the same. They added new battles in 7-8 in the FTS/localized version which were good. It's really chapters 5-6 being meh (outside the one new quest in 6), but you can rush through them if you want.

This game IDK.

There are all those hard arse Combat Exercise missions that take up 12 hours a piece if you're so inclined, but be warned, they require an initial shit ton of grinding to even reach the level requirement if you intend to have a chance.

Don't forget that there are also Requests in Towns that you liberate which you can do as well. Best to get them out of the way in a single world map excusion whenever possible.

Also there are 2 sub events you can do with
Emina and Kasuza
which are complete time wasters but give loads of nice restorative items. You must've had to activate them both earlier on the game though. (chapter 2, I think).

Sykotik

I was level 40 when I fought him. I was using Jack, without magic, so I was having a hard time hitting him. His break triggers so quickly I was having a hard time. Once I managed to not get OHKO and hit the break, Jack let'r rip.

There are all those hard arse Combat Exercise missions that take up 12 hours a piece if you're so inclined, but be warned, they require an initial shit ton of grinding to even reach the level requirement if you intend to have a chance.

Don't forget that there are also Requests in Towns that you liberate which you can do as well. Best to get them out of the way in a single world map excusion whenever possible.

Also there are 2 sub events you can do with
Emina and Kasuza
which are complete time wasters but give loads of nice restorative items. You must've had to activate them both earlier on the game though. (chapter 2, I think).

Thanks. I tried a combat exercise at 5 levels under the requirement and almost made it before getting wiped out in the last encounter. The minibosses took ages to take down though, so I don't really feel like trying that again.

Taruranto

Finished.

Uh, I'm not sure what happened.
Reim and Machina become jesus? What the fuck is up with Cid? Wut
Yeah, I know there is NG+ that with essentially new missions and new endings, but this is silly.

About the narrative, a lot of scenes felt disjointed, like
Aria, she disappears during CH4 then she suddenly reappears again Chapter 7. The game also hinted there was something major going on with her, but it does nothing with it. Then there is Machina vs Rem, that has some weird cs placement going on.
It's weird because ch4-5-6 had some very cool scenes, I wonder if the game hit some production problems toward the end? Wouldn't be a surprise, considering it's SE...

I'll admit the epilogue with Class-0 got me a bit teared up, yeah, they were incredibility underdeveloped, but they didn't bitch or moan like most jRPG characters and got shit done, it was a bit sad. Also I can't believe Machina, the most idiotic and selfish character in the whole game got away scoot-free, what the hell?

WarRock

I'll admit the epilogue with Class-0 got me a bit teared up, yeah, they were incredibility underdeveloped, but they didn't bitch or moan like most jRPG characters and got shit done, it was a bit sad. Also I can't believe Machina, the most idiotic and selfish character in the whole game got away scoot-free, what the hell?

Same impression I had when finished it in japanese hah. Some story stuff you need to unlock and check in the Codex, but dunno how in depth/good it actually is, since only now I'll be able to read it, and I'm playing slowly (just beat
Gilgamesh

And yeah, one of the worst if not worst last bosses ever.

Taruranto

lol, Emina and Kazusa stuff in NG+ is a tad unsettling.

Anyway, checking the codex apparently
there is a special CS in the archive that explains how Rem and Machina got back to normal and Cid became the Arbiter.
I can't fathom why they would remove something like this from the main game and hide it in the archive, it just takes away from the narrative.

Also checking the various Lore threads and wiki
apparently the whole game is a fight between two gods to open... Etro's Gate? Uh? What is it? Why should I care?
The whole thing feels kinda pointless and ultimately to reliant on Deus Ex Machina. FFXIII got a lot of flak for hiding stuff in the datalog and the confusing narrative, but I don't think this Type-0 did much better in that regard.

And done.

What a crappy way to end the game. Chapter 8 + the final dungeon and boss was not a good one at all.

The ending itself though... Dem feels...

The Class Zero epilogue video was awesome. It's the one thing that Squeenix is still good at, even up to this day.

And the True Final Chapter event video that you unlock is a mind fuck. Why did they have to hide it in the History event list lol. Arecia is apparently some sort of deity status being.

Vamphuntr

Beat it. I'm glad I played the fan translation as it's of very high quality. In the end I didn't like the game much. Quality wise I would put it with Crisis Core and The Third Birthday. In my eyes, SE best effort on the PSP is Birth By Sleep which I loved.

I enjoyed the setting. It was probably one of the darkest FF game with people sacrificing themselves and dying left and right. The military academy and war setting were done well enough to interest me in keeping playing the game. Plot wise I had no idea what was going on after Chapter 7. It's about as terrible as the XIII trilogy where pretty much everything happened was nonsense. I guess this is the result of the game being in development hell.

The battle system was fun in the beginning but it eventually gets tedious and repetitive. The fact you only have 3 commands at the same time is restrictive. You keep unlocking skills but don't have enough slots to try them. The killsight system became an annoyance after most bosses started to 1-shot my characters and could only be hurt by killsight. I suppose this is a result of the developers trying to balance the fact not all characters will be leveled enough to be useful in battle but it didn't work very well since as soon as something is 10 level over you, you basically get 1-hit KO by it. You don't get the chance to actually try strategies since you get one-shot quickly. The game tries to give you some depth with spell canceling but it's not very useful since you usually have 1 attack spell at a time and you will rarely have the right element and range of the spell you need to use. It's also annoying that you can only have 1 quick item slot and that opening your menu doesn't pause the game. As such my inventory was full of buff items I never had a chance to use properly.

The fact that XP is not shared means that once your 3 main characters get thrashed, you will be stuck with 11 weaklings that will get thrashed quickly unless you wasted time trying to grind more characters. Added to the SO system which kills one of your character when you fail and that Eidolons kill one of your character when you summon one or that there's a lot of gimmick that kills your characters, the game quickly becomes frustrating if you didn't grind many characters.

Difficulty curve for side missions is ridiculous, the monsters or the recommended level for these would be 30+ over my best character. They are impossible to do unless you grind forever. One of them had a required level of over 99 when I was level 40.

RTS battles were clunky and boring.

PSP limitations made for very annoying issues. World Map had loading between sections, you had to use different buttons combinations for basic commands and the game chugged often. You also have to use the dreaded claw to move the camera.

Ending wasn't interesting to me because they never bothered to explain who really class 0 was and was the whole thing with the Goddesses and the end of the world.

Didn't care much about the 14 trope characters. Seems like they were straight out of a shonen anime.

Overall the game felt unfinished and duct tapped together and I kind of regret spending 25$ to buy it.

Renpatsu

Most of these criticisms (which are absolutely valid IMO) are why I wonder how the HD remasters are going to stack up against native PS4/XBO releases. Unless they do some major retooling of the gameplay design more people are going to be shocked than pleasantly surprised.

Most of these criticisms (which are absolutely valid IMO) are why I wonder how the HD remasters are going to stack up against native PS4/XBO releases. Unless they do some major retooling of the gameplay design more people are going to be shocked than pleasantly surprised.

Depends on the release date of the HD port vs the XV release. It's definitely going to be compared (fairly or unfairly) to that game and if XV comes out first, the type 0 HD port going to receive a shellacking.

Assuming XV turns out all right and becomes the next best thing of course.

Upon further reflection, I think that for a game released with all the limitations of the PSP in mind, Square did a somewhat decent job with the game.

Until Chapter 8. Which (as others have pointed out earlier on) felt like Xenogears Disc 2.

This picture accurately sums up Chapter 8 for me :-

iyyBc84YXmhh.jpg

(forgive the JPG image, but when I took it I forgot to change the compression type in the emulator settings)

Most of the (technical) shortcomings can be easily alleviated with the HD port:-

1. Claw control method and button combo presses-> Proper dual analogue control scheme with enough buttons on the HD port

2. Segmented World Map with individual loading screens -> Seamless transitions in the HD port with a proper streaming engine. 8 GB GDDR5 RAM!

Actually, when I think about this, how did they manage to pull off the freeroaming Airship stuff without those limitatitions? I don't recall ever seeing a single loadscreen as you traversed the whole map in your airship.

3. Low fidelity character models/NPCs in battles/on the world map/in free roaming mode -> Use the higher poly character models in the real time rendered cutscenes (example given above) for everything else. They exist and look 100x better than the ones you use elsewhere.

4. Inability to change characters/equipment/etc anywhere except at a Relic/Save Point -> This feels more like a design decision than anything else

5. Inability to accept more than one request at a time -> Also feels like a design decision to fit in with the whole "free time in between missions" mechanic in the game.

Sakujou

Banned
thanks for all the info. i started the game, but it feels a bit off. the intro was a blast, but somehow the gameplay feels so weird and i always have the feeling, that i missed something really important because the battles feel so weird and off...

Taruranto

Actually, when I think about this, how did they manage to pull off the freeroaming Airship stuff without those limitatitions? I don't recall ever seeing a single loadscreen as you traversed the whole map in your airship.

I'm pretty sure the world map on Airship is different, it's scaled and looks much smaller.

Anyway yeah, a proper HD Remake could fix a lot of things from a gameplay standpoint. Even just adding shoulder buttons means you can give the player much more skills to play with.

I don't think the story can be fixed though, it's just a mess. I wonder if it's because it was originally connected to FFXIII and they decide to rewrite it later? I mean, the war part is actually pretty well done, but once you get
to the gods and stuff about Etro's gate and the lulusath shit just becomes a clusterfuck.

dramatis

The tone of the thread changed quite a bit since the last time I poked in here.

I played the JP version once, and didn't do a second replay. Seeing the impressions here now makes me wonder if they're going to adjust the gameplay at all for the PS4/Xbone ports.

I think that the combat system has useable fundamentals, but it seems unlikely that the combat system will be iterated on in a future game.

Aeana

It's funny. Whenever I give a middle-of-the-road impression of a Japanese game that people are hyped for, people just call me a hater or whatever. I have long maintained that Type-0 is a pretty good portable game with some major central issues, and a couple of other niggling ones. Tabata is really good at understanding what makes an interesting portable game, and I think Type-0 represents the height of that. It's a great game to make gradual progress in, playing in bite-sized chunks. Trying to sit down and play it in long form exposes a lot of the weaknesses it has much more readily, particularly when it comes to mission variety and keeping your party leveled.

Top Bottom