• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 (Fan) Translation Released

wrowa

It's funny. Whenever I give a middle-of-the-road impression of a Japanese game that people are hyped for, people just call me a hater or whatever. I have long maintained that Type-0 is a pretty good portable game with some major central issues, and a couple of other niggling ones. Tabata is really good at understanding what makes an interesting portable game, and I think Type-0 represents the height of that. It's a great game to make gradual progress in, playing in bite-sized chunks. Trying to sit down and play it in long form exposes a lot of the weaknesses it has much more readily, particularly when it comes to mission variety and keeping your party leveled.

Sounds like a genius move then to make it console-exclusive outside of Japan...

But there's another thread for that.

YoungOne

Finishing up third playthrough from JP save now it is translated it will make things go a whole lot smoother for trying to 100 percent it.

jimmypython

You can put your PSP on sleep mode and let the system auto-level up your characters.

It's funny. Whenever I give a middle-of-the-road impression of a Japanese game that people are hyped for, people just call me a hater or whatever. I have long maintained that Type-0 is a pretty good portable game with some major central issues, and a couple of other niggling ones. Tabata is really good at understanding what makes an interesting portable game, and I think Type-0 represents the height of that. It's a great game to make gradual progress in, playing in bite-sized chunks. Trying to sit down and play it in long form exposes a lot of the weaknesses it has much more readily, particularly when it comes to mission variety and keeping your party leveled.

I completely agree with you! The game would be significantly better if they just use the same command deck system from KH BbS or even just the menu system from KH2....errrr...

Aeana, I'd agree with your statement if not for the complete narrative breakdown the game suffered in Chapter 8. Despite the many shortcomings of the game, I enjoyed it for what it was until that point; a game designed for the sensibilities of a mobile platform.

dramatis

It's funny. Whenever I give a middle-of-the-road impression of a Japanese game that people are hyped for, people just call me a hater or whatever. I have long maintained that Type-0 is a pretty good portable game with some major central issues, and a couple of other niggling ones.
Well to be honest a bunch of the people who played the JP version at release tried to tone down the hype a bit, but nobody was listening. The forbidden fruit is more tasty when it is forbidden. At one point the hype felt so ridiculous to me that I was wondering if there was some crazy good thing in the game that I missed.

Ratrat

Played this on the vita a while ago, and while its not amazing it hardly deserves the harsh criticism its getting here. Its a solid portable rpg and definitely worth a playthrough.

I wonder what the reception to 7th Dragon or Last Ranker would be if released now. Then again plenty of people weren'y imprressed with Tits.

Asd202

Huh so the game is not really that good? Well I'm not surprised even one bit I always felt that problem with SE are far deeper than executives. Anyway from reading the impression and comments if SE doesn't change a lot of things for the home console port it could backfire and put FF even further off the radar.

Skilletor

Huh so the game is not really that good? Well I'm not surprised even one bit I always felt that problem with SE are far deeper than executives. Anyway from reading the impression and comments if SE doesn't change a lot of things for the home console port it could backfire and put FF even further off the radar.

I think it's good. For a portable FF. I don't think it will translate well to the big screen.

Everything about it is catered to the portable experience, save the controls. I couldn't imagine playing this on a psp, haha.

Played this on the vita a while ago, and while its not amazing it hardly deserves the harsh criticism its getting here. Its a solid portable rpg and definitely worth a playthrough.

I wonder what the reception to 7th Dragon or Last Ranker would be if released now. Then again plenty of people weren'y imprressed with Tits.

7th Dragon got a fantranslation a few months ago, and most people who played it enjoyed it.

Its good, but its not without its flaws. Nothing that's wrong with it couldn't easily be fixed with a sequel, which is why I hope Tabata's team gets to work with Type-1 soon.

Argh. These RTS strategy missions are BS. Spoiler on Meroe liberation:
I managed to take over almost all the Milites bases, get to the second last base when suddenly a giant warship comes along, lvl 99 or something
crazy and carpet bombs my troops.

Zimmy64

I've really enjoyed this game so far. Combat reminds me more of Birth by Sleep than a traditional Final Fantasy title. I've been using Rem, King, and the Scythe person (Can't remember her name). Still fairly early, in Chapter 3. My biggest problem with the game is the inability to accept multiple quests at once.

Argh. These RTS strategy missions are BS. Spoiler on Meroe liberation:
I managed to take over almost all the Milites bases, get to the second last base when suddenly a giant warship comes along, lvl 99 or something
crazy and carpet bombs my troops.

Ignore that ship, you can't take it out. It's just a diversion for another warship that is part of your actual objective. Yes, that RTS mission was bollocks, and it took a few loadstates for me to figure it out.

Vamphuntr

I never understood why they add lvl 99 monsters on the world map and in dungeons. Outside of the lvl 99 flan you can kill easily most of them end up trashing you and you either end up being screwed during a mission since you lost your most valuable character or have to walk back to town to revive them while on the world map. Even worse is that they barely give any XP and drops a "good" item only the first time you beat them. Good being the item that upgrades the Suzaku magic that drains all of your MP and does less damage than a break sight.

Balanced this game is not.

I'm still missing pages for some of Class 0. Why is this? How do I unlock them all? I've played through the game twice, but I didn't gain any new insight to the plot like I heard you would. At most, there are alternate missions to do, but I still feel like I'm missing stuff like
who Arecia, Tiz, and Leam are, why Cater gets deja vu, what was Izana's mission, etc.
Do I need to do all requests and combat exercises to learn more?

I'm still missing pages for some of Class 0. Why is this? How do I unlock them all? I've played through the game twice, but I didn't gain any new insight to the plot like I heard you would. At most, there are alternate missions to do, but I still feel like I'm missing stuff like
who Arecia, Tiz, and Leam are, why Cater gets deja vu, what was Izana's mission, etc.

Probably. I'm not even done through the 2nd playthrough, I'm taking a break from the game atm.

Izana's mission was actually to deliver the COMMs to Class 0 during the Liberation of the Academy in Rubrum mission which allowed for communications to commence after the Crystal got jammed at the very beginning. (The very first one you play after hitting New Game.)

Halfway through chapter 8 I'm starting to see where the negative impressions are coming from. Up to the end of chapter 6 was great, but chapter 7 felt really rushed,
especially the second invasion and the events of chapter 8 just seemed to come out of nowhere.

The final dungeon isn't as bad as some of the impressions I've been reading have made it out to be, but it's still no great and I'm only half way through, so there's time for it to get worse.

Taruranto

I'm on chapter 5 on NG+ and so far no trace of
Tiz and the other dude.

Honestly, NG+ missions really don't add much in term of plot/characters.

Isn't that one optional? It's part of the Combat Exercises which can be skipped afaik.

Combat Exercise RTS missions are pretty easy to cheese honestly. Just use a ranger character like Trey with the ability to power up his shots and you can kill pretty much everything on the map. Rem with thunder shotgun works pretty well too.

jimmypython

Tiz is No.10 of class 0 (and Joker, No.00). Tiz and Joker are two soul vessels not being used in the current world cycle. Arecia is a "high" fal'cie, representing the highest fal'cie Pulse, who believes making strong souls would open the gate to Etro's unseen world. She created 4 crystals (lower fal'cie) to choose suited people as l'cie to ensure her plan...you see..type-0 is tightly related to FNC mytho...just like FF13...lol

Vamphuntr

Where can I buy a Phoenix pinion? Or Phoenix down? I know pinion casts re raise, but how do I use a down when a member dies?

I don't think you can buy them. Pinions are rare items. To use a phoenix down you must use it before the dead member disappears from your team. If it's your playable character that died, you need to switch character and quickly navigate the item menu to use a phoenix down. The game doesn't pause in menu so be careful.

The result is that when someone is dead they are dead until the next mission.

I don't think you can buy them. Pinions are rare items. To use a phoenix down you must use it before the dead member disappears from your team. If it's your playable character that died, you need to switch character and quickly navigate the item menu to use a phoenix down. The game doesn't pause in menu so be careful.

The result is that when someone is dead they are dead until the next mission.

I wasted a pinion. :(

Renpatsu

How convoluted is the process to work this patch? Do I have to download some program or some crap?

The patch itself is simple to apply (you download a program and then select your ISO dump, doesn't matter which disc). The more convoluted process is actually dumping your UMD in my opinion.

However the process is as streamlined as it's going to get, seriously, the fan translators did a great job in that regard.

Tiz is No.10 of class 0 (and Joker, No.00). Tiz and Joker are two soul vessels not being used in the current world cycle. Arecia is a "high" fal'cie, representing the highest fal'cie Pulse, who believes making strong souls would open the gate to Etro's unseen world. She created 4 crystals (lower fal'cie) to choose suited people as l'cie to ensure her plan...you see..type-0 is tightly related to FNC mytho...just like FF13...lol
Where do you get this info, especially on Arecia? I'm on my third playthrough and still got next to nothing on her background.

Where do you get this info, especially on Arecia? I'm on my third playthrough and still got next to nothing on her background.

I spent an hour on some wikia after finishing Chapter 8. My conclusion was "looool FNC".

Also Chapter 8 makes Xenogears Disc 2 look complete, unrushed and coherent.

jimmypython

It's from the Ultimania guide and the official art book.....yeah...it is absurd that they don't localize these awesome Japan exclusive books...especially the Ultimania series

Also, the official art book showed a huge amount of cut/unused materials (e.g.
the complete setting of the Byakko part of the world, which got "destroyed" in the beginning of the game
), meaning the game was truly rushed. The original setting was as huge as a mainline FF title...

correction:
not Byakko but Genbu part of the world

Vamphuntr

It's from the Ultimania guide and the official art book.....yeah...it is absurd that they don't localize these awesome Japan exclusive books...especially the Ultimania series

Also, the official art book showed a huge amount of cut/unused materials (e.g.
the complete setting of the bakkyo part of the world, which got "destroyed" in the beginning of the game
), meaning the game was truly rushed. The original setting was as huge as a mainline FF title...

It only shows SE are incompetent at explaining what is going on in their games. When you need to read a guidebook to understand the plot, something went wrong while you designed the game. Same thing happened with the XIII games and The Third Birthday too.

It's obvious the game was rushed simply by playing it. The battle system is incomplete. Most of the skills end up being useless because of kill sights. Plot wise the final battle against the empire is not even an RTS battle or an invasion. You simply fight some guy in a mobile suit and you won the war. The game also stops making sense once you reach the final chapter.

The whole l'cie and Fal'cie mythos had so much possibility on paper and yet they were not able to write one decent and coherent plot on it after 4 tries. It's really a pity.

Wow, what a waste. This game was pretty ambitious and probably would have treated its plot better if it was a mainline console FF. Thanks for the help!

UberTag

And now people are seeing why it wasn't a big deal that this was left in Japan until now.

Soundtrack and story "idea" are the only real good things. Story execution & game play is a mess.

When this wasn't coming over people were hyping this game up as the second coming of real quality FF game as opposed to an era of XIII. Yeah...no.
Well, hopefully now that Type-0 has been exposed for what it is we can channel this JRPG yearning towards Kiseki or something.

Still playing this. Started Chapter 7. I still like the game a lot. But some things are dragging. I make sure not to marathon this cuz really this game was made to play on the train.

Btw, what's this about putting the game into sleep mode and letting it auto level.

Renpatsu

Still playing this. Started Chapter 7. I still like the game a lot. But some things are dragging. I make sure not to marathon this cuz really this game was made to play on the train.

Btw, what's this about putting the game into sleep mode and letting it auto level.
At the academy where the training grounds are you have the option of fighting fodder soldiers indefinitely. However also at that location is another instructor that you can talk to that gives you the option of auto levelling a character whilst your psp is in sleep mode. You can't do anything else while this is happening.

Ratrat

I played the Japanese psn version on vita.

Vita multitasking = changing the clock. I'm a terrible gamer but this game doesn't have many options to grind or make money.

At the academy where the training grounds are you have the option of fighting fodder soldiers indefinitely. However also at that location is another instructor that you can talk to that gives you the option of auto levelling a character whilst your psp is in sleep mode. You can't do anything else while this is happening.

Tried this today at work. Got some exp I think, but no lvl up.

CorvoSol

People don't like the final dungeon? Heh, that was like my favorite part of the game. Except the Suzaku room. Fuck that room.

I do agree that the story feels fairly disjointed, though i'm not feeling the outrage for it. The only bad gameplay in my mind is the RTS stuff. Leveling the whole party is admittedly grindy, but that's not any different from other FFs.

All told, the game isnt golden in my eyes anymore, but I still really like it. Maybe its just that Bravely Default just burned me, but I do like how good the game is for pick up and play bursts.

NateDog

Does anyone have a (trustworthy) link for it? I know it's a little stupid asking for it now. I've had the game for many months but didn't download the patch since I still have to get another memory stick.

Im_Special

Apparently this wasn't a cease-and-desist so I wonder what it could've been to make Sky take it down. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what Sky has to say about this.

But whatever it was, SE (if this was SE's doing) is just making them selves look like giant assholes right now since the patch is already out, and good luck to them with trying to stomp this one out now that thousands of people have it already, there will always be a mirror for it now fortunately/unfortunately, so basically SE should've just left this one alone and instead just work on making their upcoming version be the definitive way to play it, with exclusive content like bonus dungeons, bosses, etc .

So is like CC... :/

Hope the HD release fixes some of the problems.

Just started chapter 8 and WTH at the plot jump. Did I miss a cutscene?
I went liberating Byakkos capital to some weird demon things attacking the academy?
I'm thoroughly confused.

aravuus

Just started chapter 8 and WTH at the plot jump. Did I miss a cutscene?
I went liberating Byakkos capital to some weird demon things attacking the academy?
I'm thoroughly confused.

Haha, exactly my reaction too

No, you didn't miss anything, it's just horribly handled. One of the parts that was rushed, I suppose.

Haha, exactly my reaction too

No, you didn't miss anything, it's just horribly handled. One of the parts that was rushed, I suppose.

Also this last dungeon is a pain. Design wise it's great, fun even but
who thought that splitting your team into two was a good idea. I spent my type levelling up Ace, Rem and Machina but now I have to use the other characters I didn't bother to use much.

Also this last dungeon is a pain. Design wise it's great, fun even but
who thought that splitting your team into two was a good idea. I spent my type levelling up Ace, Rem and Machina but now I have to use the other characters I didn't bother to use much.

I was quite fortunate that I had 3 spares which I used occasionally. You need a good mix of character types for that part in both squads. (ranged, magic, melee)

They kinda help you out by making the enemies have a much lower level than they ought to be at that part. They don't play around though, 2 hits and you're dead thanks to the insta-Kill Sight ability that they have.

And finished. 61 hours. I'm digesting the ending...so many questions. Were there issues the game? Yes. But is it a fantastic game? Hell yes. A lot of effort and love put into it. Such a great swan song for the PSP too. Now I feel like I can retire the little handheld. Such a shame we didn't get it over here.

Edit: so how worth is it to play a second time?

And finished. 61 hours. I'm digesting the ending...so many questions. Were there issues the game? Yes. But is it a fantastic game? Hell yes. A lot of effort and love put into it. Such a great swan song for the PSP too. Now I feel like I can retire the little handheld. Such a shame we didn't get it over here.

Edit: so how worth is it to play a second time?

You'll have to do it to fill up the missing cutscene entries, complete the side quests/missions, and to get the "true" ending of the game, amongst other things.

You'll have to do it to fill up the missing cutscene entries, complete the side quests/missions, and to get the "true" ending of the game, amongst other things.

Other than one or two I did most side quests, even liberated all of the lands. But there are missing entries in the History section.

Other than one or two I did most side quests, even liberated all of the lands. But there are missing entries in the History section.

There are definitely those that you've missed; due to the lack of in-game time it's impossible to do all even with a walkthough and careful time management.

Top Bottom