• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD PC |OT| Hexa-Dos and Don'ts

I find the downsampling so weird given the lack of arbitrary resolution options. But i suppose this port is progress if the FFXIII games on PC are anything to go by

Razmos

Literally nothing I've tried has worked, the exact same thing keeps happening no matter what, the game doesn't even try and load up, it just gets an error and shuts down in a second.

Sigh, what a waste of time and money, I was looking forward to this.

Arkeband

Banned
Literally nothing I've tried has worked, the exact same thing keeps happening no matter what, the game doesn't even try and load up, it just gets an error and shuts down in a second.

Sigh, what a waste of time and money, I was looking forward to this.

Drivers up to date? What are your system specs?

Are you from Europe? Maybe the decimal issue is happening?

Razmos

Drivers up to date? What are your system specs?

Are you from Europe? Maybe the decimal issue is happening?
Pretty sure my drivers are up to date, and I'm not too sure about my system specs, I'm a total newbie when it comes to PC gaming.

I am from europe but I think I already checked the decimal thing.

Maybe my laptop just isn't powerful enough to run it? but then I would think it would say so rather than just shutting down the way it does.
I can run FFXIV pretty well on this laptop, so I'm not sure if that's the issue

Dr Dogg

As a 1440p monitor owner, I'm even more tickled that I can in fact render the game at my native res, but only if I output it at 720p :p

Actually what's like like on a 2560x1440 monitor? Still stupidly waiting for this to finish downloading (because I chose Zombi over FF :p) but mines not to bad at interpolation from 1920x1080 but text that's got even a slight bit of colour to it is an assault on the eyes.

Pretty sure my drivers are up to date, and I'm not too sure about my system specs, I'm a total newbie when it comes to PC gaming.

I am from europe but I think I already checked the decimal thing.

Maybe my laptop just isn't powerful enough to run it? but then I would think it would say so rather than just shutting down the way it does.
I can run FFXIV pretty well on this laptop, so I'm not sure if that's the issue
Does your laptop swap between onboard integrated graphics and a dedicated gpu? It may be using onboard instead of the dedicated gpu which would lower performance a lot.
If it does and you have an nvidia gpu, open nvidia control panel, select manage 3d applications and switch to the program settings tab. Then hit Add and look for type-0 in the list. Then set it to use the nvidia card instead of onboard. I don't know the steps for amd, sorry.

Razmos

Does your laptop swap between onboard integrated graphics and a dedicated gpu? It may be using onboard instead of the dedicated gpu which would lower performance a lot.
If it does and you have an nvidia gpu, open nvidia control panel, select manage 3d applications and switch to the program settings tab. Then hit Add and look for type-0 in the list. Then set it to use the nvidia card instead of onboard. I don't know the steps for amd, sorry.
That worked!
You are amazing, thank you :)

cyress8

Banned
Anyone able to play the game using Steam Streaming? I ask because FF13 does not work at all when you trybto stream it. Main reason I have not passed the initial area with the trains. Extremely wary of anything SE comes out with lately.

Enthus

Wish the Steam backgrounds they added were better. Only one I like is Rem and Machina, but then I would have to have Machina on my profile.

Parsnip

I totally sent SE some feedback through their website about this game, I wonder if that stuff ever reaches anyone who's actually listening and could make some changes happen.

So the real question is, would I be better off playing the official PC version, or using PPSSPP? There's a 60fps patch I can use in PPSSPP, right?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I can't get the game to play properly in 1080p on my TV. It ether puts the game in 720p, or renders it in 4k and only displays the upper left corner.

Arkeband

Banned
So the real question is, would I be better off playing the official PC version, or using PPSSPP? There's a 60fps patch I can use in PPSSPP, right?

After reading through the OP and I'd hope some of this thread, and Durante's PCGamer article, you're here to ask us if you should pirate it? I dunno, is that even a real question, you tell me.

PC is definitive for sure. But some people like the look of the original upresed. And it runs better nearly because you actually running just the psp game

Razmos

Just played through the first chapter and I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Is it wrong that I wanted that guy in the opening cutscene to just die already? it felt like a damn parody. It was like half an hour of the camera panning out to make it look like he was fading away only for him to continue talking to his chocobo. It made it look like he died like 5 times before he actually did, and then there was a cutscene of him just being dead and I was like "Who the fuck is this guy?"

I was way more sad about the Chocobo.

I take it the definition of a L'cie in this world is different than in XIII.

Queen already confirmed as best character.

Arkeband

Banned
I take it the definition of a L'cie in this world is different than in XIII.

The concept of an L'cie is the same (they get a brand, they are given a mission, they turn to crystal), but they're given god-like powers. It's definitely way more badass than the way they were set up in FFXIII.

Ascheroth

The Snapshot Mode should be mandatory in every 3rd person game.
Was just messing around with it a bit while cruising around with Shiva:

2015-08-21_00007ohs62.jpg
2015-08-21_000048qs3c.jpg

ZenaxPure

Took me a couple hours to wrap my head around the combat in the game but now that I have I am having a ton of fun with it messing around with all the different characters and their abilities.

Only problem is the game doesn't seem very stable for me. It often (like probably 1/10 times) crashes when I am trying to change screens (be that transitioning in/out of battle or leaving one area to go to another). Really ruining my day because otherwise the game runs fine.

iosefe

Well damn this game performs like shit, I'm getting 20-25fps at 720p and Standard settings.

It's a fucking PSP game!

what other settigns you got on? make sure AA is off or something. maybe even untick screenspace shadows

technically it's a PS4 game at this point tho, but thats just semantics

Razmos

Holy shit there is a world map and random encounters? wat

Also I'm really confused about how to set my active party. It's simple enough to choose your active team leader but I have no idea how to set my other 2 party members. It seems to default to the 2 top-most reserves, but for some reason my main character was replaced with Ace when I entered a random encounter and I don't really get it.

I literally didn't do anything today by the way, I played it for a couple of hours and all I was doing was exploring Akedemia, talking to NPC's and looking through the Crystarium.

The plot point about
the dead being forgotten
is really sad and I'm curious as to where that will lead, as well as the source of Class-Zero's power (though I have a pretty good idea :/)

the dead being forgotten

Man, I don't know if it was a writing gaffe in the Japanese version, or a localization error, but they keep breaking this rule all the time, keep obsessing about this one
dead guy
and crap like that. And when the rule IS being followed properly it's being used as some sort of cosmic loophole-abuse for intel.

It's like, it's introduced as them
completely forgetting the dead in every way, requiring the knowing tags to have any record of them ever existing
, but a chapter or two later it's
"Oh, you can remember them fine, you just can't remember anything about them"
, and then there's the optional cutscenes with
Ace
's dreams where he's
Having pretty damn clear memories of the guy who died in the intro.

IDK if there's something more than what's displayed on the surface at work here, or typical 2010's Final Fantasy writing at play.

Haunted

I know the tiny zones are part of the PSP heritage, and each loading screen isn't much more than a fade to black and fade back in on a decent machine.

But still, the game would feel so much better if it was one big area, in the various rooms of the academy but especially on the world map. The world map being segmented into regions really hurts immersion (and my orientation >_>). I feel like with some tweaks and changes, this could've been a really decent throwback to the PSX era FFs (even despite the bad writing, fanservice and character archetyping), but the limited mission structure and hub area prevent this from ever reaching the same epic world-spanning feeling of adventure and journeying that defined the FF games of that era for me (thanks, Monster Hunter).

Holy shit there is a world map and random encounters? wat

Also I'm really confused about how to set my active party. It's simple enough to choose your active team leader but I have no idea how to set my other 2 party members. It seems to default to the 2 top-most reserves, but for some reason my main character was replaced with Ace when I entered a random encounter and I don't really get it.

I literally didn't do anything today by the way, I played it for a couple of hours and all I was doing was exploring Akedemia, talking to NPC's and looking through the Crystarium.

The plot point about
the dead being forgotten
is really sad and I'm curious as to where that will lead, as well as the source of Class-Zero's power (though I have a pretty good idea :/)
Top two reserve members is right. Sometimes the active leader changes due to an event, some of the cutscenes also have set characters (which is weird when you've never used the character before and suddenly it acts as if they would have been in the main party all along). Should not arbitrarily change in a random encounter, though.

But yeah, generally at the start of every mission, your three active members are the leader and the top two spots.

I know the tiny zones are part of the PSP heritage, and each loading screen isn't much more than a fade to black and fade back in on a decent machine.

But still, the game would feel so much better if it was one big area, in the various rooms of the academy but especially on the world map. The world map being segmented into regions really hurts it (and my orientation >_>).

For the battle maps, that'd probably be a fuckton of work since the way they're modeled isn't seamless either - There's plenty of disjoint in their designs, and then there's the matter of some missions and towns reusing zones (Why was this the standard on the PSP anyway? There were games with no area reusage with far larger areas on weaker hardware with less storage space - And on the issues of technical limitations preventing big zones, I cite to you Xenoblade 3D, on hardware in the weaker/barely equivalent range to the PSP.)

Totally agree on the world map though, one of the SHOULDs of the remaster when this was being built for the PS4 next to the obvious 60FPS fix should have been joining the World Map sectors together.

Haunted

For the battle maps, that'd probably be a fuckton of work since the way they're modeled isn't seamless either - There's plenty of disjoint in their designs, and then there's the matter of some missions and towns reusing zones (Why was this the standard on the PSP anyway? There were games with no area reusage with far larger areas on weaker hardware with less storage space - And on the issues of technical limitations preventing big zones, I cite to you Xenoblade 3D, on hardware in the weaker/barely equivalent range to the PSP.)

Totally agree on the world map though, one of the SHOULDs of the remaster when this was being built for the PS4 next to the obvious 60FPS fix should have been joining the World Map sectors together.
Agreed, I'm sure it would've been a fucking pain in the ass for them to do that, since I'm positive that in the (classically Japanese way of game development) they used all sorts of shortcuts and behind the scenes tricks specifically targeted to the PSP instead of (going the modern route and) building an expandable modular base from which to work and port to different infrastructures.

At least those golden shoulder guard thingies look real fucking nice (on the player characters, not the low detail NPCs).

Agreed, I'm sure it would've been a fucking pain in the ass for them to do that, since I'm positive that in the (classically Japanese way of game development) they used all sorts of shortcuts and behind the scenes tricks specifically targeted to the PSP instead of (going the modern route and) building an expandable modular base from which to work and port to different infrastructures.

At least those golden shoulder guard thingies look real fucking nice (on the player characters, not the low detail NPCs).

I think I've might have said this before, but Type-0 was more than likely supposed to be a one-and-done game with no rereleases/ports/sequels when it was made, until some mix of the localization petitions reaching critical mass (Along with faith in Square Enix and Final Fantasy dwindling due to XIII, XIV 1.0, and XV's dev hell), a need to sell a demo of XV to get that Ground Zeroes dosh, and someone wanting to make a sequel converged into a black whole and suddenly they found a need to remaster and localize the damn game.

(Wonder if Type-1/2/whatever it'll be called would be a portable game or a console game, or even one of those "Portable with an HD version with slightly better graphics so people don't bitch" (MH3U, World of Final Fantasy, Smash 4) games.)

Dinjoralo

So, what do the different camera options do? I'm assuming one of them is the improved camera, but I can't tell the difference.

Razmos

The second mission was interesting. The RTS aspects of it were quite cool.

I went through the Coeurl cave with Cater (she's such a good character) and the Coeurl boss was eating through Class Zero like they were nothing. Blaster proves to be as annoying in this game as it is in all the others, lmao. Still beat it though.

Durante

It's really sad how easy the whole output resolution thing would be to fix. 3 buffers, 2 values in a set of vertex shader constants.

If I had the same mature (well, perhaps not "mature", but at least viable) tools I have for DX9 for DX11 I'd release a plugin.

poncle

For anyone else who's having a hard time with the lock-on/harvesting system, there's a trainer out there that has a neat function of "Dead bodies won't disappear".

So you can fight without having to worry about harvesting, and just harvest at the end of the battle.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If I had the same mature (well, perhaps not "mature", but at least viable) tools I have for DX9 for DX11 I'd release a plugin.

What's the problem with getting an injector on DX11 or 12?

Skimming through the thread, I'm trying to see how many players this is.

Wasn't the psp version 4 players? How about on PC? Don't tell me it's a single player game...

I kinda regret buying this game. I had to turn off most of graphics options to stay locked at 30fps. It's my fault though, I never knew the game would be so demanding.

I should just play the PSP version at 1080p and 60fps... It will probably look better than the PC version. -.-

EDIT: I really need a PS4. Or maybe a new notebook. UGhhh.

I think there are pretty substantial differences in the clarity(some of it might be compression, but not all of it) and more AF. Look at the ground and how soon it starts blurring in the PS4 version

Edit: Didn't see the spoiler text :3

Top Bottom