• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD | Review Thread

abrack08

Anyone know if you can pick this up at Gamestop's Battlefield midnight release tonight? Do they do that? I've never tried to pick up a different game than the actual reason they were open at midnight.

Usually midnight launches are for all the games releasing that day, to my knowledge. I know my local EBGames is doing it for both.

Is this getting a 12am ET release nationwide like Battlefield though? There could be a lock on this until midnight local.

I suppose it may be YMMV but I've done this a couple times. All at the same Gamestop though, so I can't really say every location will do it, but no one ever hesitated. Probably helps if you have the game pre-ordered.

Anyone know if you can pick this up at Gamestop's Battlefield midnight release tonight? Do they do that? I've never tried to pick up a different game than the actual reason they were open at midnight.

It depends. Back when I used to work at Gamestop sometimes we wouldn't get a game until the day of.

Also my Gamestop wouldn't let you purchase anything extra unless you where buying the game the midnight release was for.

But every manager has their own was of doing things..

There are quite a few cutscenes that explain alot about certain character relationships that only show up in certain conversations while you are certain characters, I know i'll find myself switching often to try to find them all -__-
I am keeping that for a second playthrough. I might have missed on a lot of them since I mainly play as Ace in Academy.

ChanMan

Is the camera really that bad, I had no issue with it when playing the JP PSP demo a few years back, little worried.

Lol. Poor Jim

KiNzRvi.png

Aren't digital codes free to generate? :\

Kuni

Huh... a lot better than I expected actually. Nice one Sqeunix! Looking forward to playing this... after FFXV :p

RDreamer

It depends. Back when I used to work at Gamestop sometimes we wouldn't get a game until the day of.

Also my Gamestop wouldn't let you purchase anything extra unless you where buying the game the midnight release was for.

But every manager has their own was of doing things..

Guess I'll call and find out. I'd love to get it tonight, as I'll probably wake up pretty damned early tomorrow and don't want to have to wait until 10AM when the shops usually open.

Funny thing is if they don't allow me to get it at midnight I'm not getting it at Gamestop at all. Other stores are closer and I'm lazy :p

zennyzz

This could literally be a post about FFXIII and that's not good. At all.

a distinct difference is you need the encyclopedia of XIII to understand what's going on. A lot of Type-0's stuff is straight forward, though utterly emotionless without spending time getting to know people outside of the main story.

jbug617

Banned
Polygon review is up. It got an 8
http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/16/8206427/final-fantasy-type-0-hd-review-ps4-playstation-4-xbox-one

After years of finding myself increasingly let down by each new Final Fantasy game, I'm as surprised as anyone that Final Fantasy Type-0 succeeds in so many ways. It discovers a fine balance the series has been sorely missing, between simplicity and complexity, difficulty and approachability, scope and scale. It also finds its own voice and a wide variety of things to keep players busy. Not all of those activities are handled perfectly, but damn it, I'd rather have a game that tries something interesting and occasionally stumbles than another generic saving-the-world epic.

zennyzz

You don't. This lie needs to stop.

You do in order to get the actual dynamic between the l'cie and falcie. Which is a very integral part of the story otherwise the contradiction between their relationship and how it's still established kinda goes up in the air.

FNC's issues aren't with their hard terms, because none of those terms describe intrinsically difficult to understand concepts. The biggest is with XIII is a number of character choices and motivations don't make sense from a direct view as they seem to go against what you would assume they're for.

Typical Polygon. Shit all over it in the review, give it an 8. Does this sound like an 8?

If you knew that Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is based on a PSP game, you may be concerned that the graphics won't look very good. The truth is actually much worse. Square Enix clearly put the bare minimum amount of effort into porting it to the most powerful console hardware available right now.

From muddy background textures to character models that look as smooth as porcelain due to their lack of detail, nothing in Type-0 HD could be mistaken for a game built from the ground up for PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. This is especially obvious (and annoying) in cutscenes, where characters loop the same three-second animation while they talk for minutes, and the camera fades to black each time it has to switch angles. There's no effort made to hide the fact that everything about this game was designed to work on a low-power handheld.

More bothersome yet, these quality issues extend to the story itself. Final Fantasy Type-0's war drama feels like something that could have stuck with me long-term, but it's hampered by a really awkward translation and subpar anime voice acting. While everything else about the game surpasses other recent Final Fantasy titles, the presentation is a frustrating black mark.

zennyzz

The members of Class Zero are the “children” of a mad sorceress-doctor who is, as you can guess, not all that she seems. The kids get along decently with one another, but not at all with outsiders; Class Zero’s members were accepted to the academy without entrance exams at the insistence of their “mother,” so talking with NPCs as any member of Class Zero often yields deriding comments and snark about how the children don’t fit in with the rest of Akademia, a university breeding children for war.

At any time while wandering the world, you control one member of Class Zero as he or she talks to NPCs, either to receive a fetch quest, or simply to chat. Conversations may have different outcomes depending on which character you are currently controlling. For example, if you talk to Dr. Arecia Al-Rashia as Rem or Machina--the two new members of Class Zero who don’t fall under her affection--she greets you with disdain. Approach her as Ace or Cater, however, and she warmly engages with you. Elsewhere, some side quests require that you talk to certain people or complete tasks as Rem, who is a favorite among her peers. These subtle nuances make all 14 characters matter. Each has his or her own distinct personality, and while some Class Zero members are less bearable than others, they have great conversations when interacting as a group. Watching the airheaded Cinque try and reason with the know-it-all Trey, all while snarky Sice tells them both to shut up, is always entertaining, as is seeing opposing personalities like Cater and Queen--one sassy, and one cold and rational--pair up to solve problems.

This is definitely Type-0's strength outside of gameplay.

Skilletor

Typical Polygon. Shit all over it in the review, give it an 8. Does this sound like an 8?

Why not read the rest of the review? lol.

Why take piece-meal quotes from the review and not the thing as a whole?

Good on them for mentioning these things people might take issue with, but maybe for polygon the whole package merits the score they gave?

I thought you were exaggerating..but yeah, there's some sort of disconnect going on there..
in my opinion, the job they did visually is an admirable one, considering the jaggies would make your eyes bleed on the PSP version.

Kyolux

Should receive this tomorrow or Wednesday, but Best Buy put the "do not safe drop" notice on the package.. so yay, might end up not being able to get to actually play the XV demo before Thursday.

By then, don't think I should start playing actual Type-0 before I'm done with Bloodborne, or I just won't ever go back to it, knowing myself.

artsi

Eh, there's more to the game than graphics, and the reviewer seemed to like it overall. Please read the review.

While the HD facelift for Final Fantasy Type-0 isn't particularly impressive, the core game is worth the wait. Maybe it's due to its origins as a handheld game, but Square Enix demonstrates a willingness to take interesting chances here. Not every weird gameplay system or surprising setpiece works perfectly, but they come together to form a significantly more intriguing whole than any of the games that remain tied to Final Fantasy 13.

You don't. This lie needs to stop.

You kind of do. Sorry. Tried to play through the game two separate times and got about 10 hrs in each time before giving up because I had no idea what anything was and the gameplay wasn't compelling enough for me to keep going.

Anyway at least THIS game looks good.

If the story and graphics look subpar, but the game is fun to play? Then yes, I can see that as an 8. Try reading the rest of the review.

Did I say the game doesn't deserve an 8? Did I say I didn't read the rest of the review?

What I said was they shit all over it, still gave it an 8, and that is typical of Polygon. All of that is true. I don't see how you can say the entire presentation of a game is a "frustrating black mark" or that the "truth is actually much worse," and then give it an 8. They didn't even put that in the body of the text, it's in some sort of explanation box as if it is an afterthought written by someone else. They didn't even bother to say that they could look past this because the rest of the game is good. They just pretend like they didn't say any of the incredibly harsh things they said about the presentation.

Total disconnect between that giant block of text and the rest of the review.

Did I say the game doesn't deserve an 8? Did I say I didn't read the rest of the review?

What I said was they shit all over it, still gave it an 8, and that is typical of Polygon. All of that is true. I don't see how you can say the entire presentation of a game is a "frustrating black mark" or that the "truth is actually much worse," and then give it an 8. They didn't even put that in the body of the text, it's in some sort of explanation box as if it is an afterthought written by someone else. They didn't even bother to say that they could look past this because the rest of the game is good. They just pretend like they didn't say any of the incredibly harsh things they said about the presentation.

Total disconnect between that giant block of text and the rest of the review.
If you say so.
While the HD facelift for Final Fantasy Type-0 isn't particularly impressive, the core game is worth the wait. Maybe it's due to its origins as a handheld game, but Square Enix demonstrates a willingness to take interesting chances here. Not every weird gameplay system or surprising setpiece works perfectly, but they come together to form a significantly more intriguing whole than any of the games that remain tied to Final Fantasy 13.

SexyFish

Banned
Reviews are above what I expected. Can't wait to check it out.

Also, does anyone know why this isn't available to preorder/preload on PS4? Any idea when the digital version will be purchasable?

They sent out discs. But from the sound of it he's probably blacklisted.

Yeah I just figured if they ran out of discs they could just provide a code.

If he's blacklisted though that sucks. I wonder why they wouldn't just tell him he's blacklisted rather than "we ran out"

Yeah I just figured if they ran out of discs they could just provide a code.

If he's blacklisted though that sucks. I wonder why they wouldn't just tell him he's blacklisted rather than "we ran out"

Because they admit to that and then he says it on twitter and now they have a PR problem to deal with. Why in the world would they tell him that?

Nice to see there is a Tetracast episode alongside the review. I enjoyed the recent FFXV demo podcast.

I watched a few streams yesterday and it made me wonder just how poorly I remember PSP jrpgs. Some of those areas seemed tiny even by Crisis Core standards (my memory of it anyway).Seems like Type-0 hits you twice, once to remind you it was a PSP game and once to remind you what PSP games were actually like

Surpassing recent Final Fantasy games =/= this is a good game.
Hem, hem. So why are you ignoring what I posted?
They think the core game is good, even under the ugly PSP-upres wrapper. There is not a disconnect like you claim. The review makes a fine amount of sense.

Skulldead

There only one element none of the review that i've read really talk about the difficulty level they add (i know kotaku talk about it he switch to easy). But the normal difficulty is the same as PSP or we have to put higher difficulty level to be at the same level as PSP ? Or there is a harder mode then the already challenging normal mode ? If someone can send me un short review for this that would be helpfull. Thank you very much !

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Nice to see there is a Tetracast episode alongside the review. I enjoyed the recent FFXV demo podcast.

I watched a few streams yesterday and it made me wonder just how poorly I remember PSP jrpgs. Some of those areas seemed tiny even by Crisis Core standards (my memory of it anyway).Seems like Type-0 hits you twice, once to remind you it was a PSP game and once to remind you what PSP games were actually like

Those people who ask for a crisis core remaster would be extremely suprised at how small and limited the game actually was. Corridors every few steps with a loading screen in between each one

Top Bottom