• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy V 20th Anniversary Thread

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I believe this game was one of the first and, quite rightly, the most famous fan translation to hit the web back in the dark days of subpar modem speed.

The entire game was a gem to play through. For my own personal enjoyment, it easily sits up there with FF6 as the Final Fantasy game with the most memorable sequences within it. The music to the opening scene is still one of my favourites of all time - especially the arranged version on the Game Music Concert 2 CD. In fact the entire soundtrack and piano collections album are always a pleasure to listen to. Very nostalgic, a lot of goosebumps. I have no shame in admitting that Lenna's Theme was one of the first tracks I wanted to play on the piano.

One of those games that will stick with you for the rest of your life. Hard to believe it has been 20 years since it was released in Japan. I imagine any attachments I have now would have been multiplied tenfold if I had played this as a 10 year old kid.

I swear we have an anniversary thread for FFV every year. Not that it doesn't deserve them.

That's the annual Final Fantasy Five Fiesta!

Yuripaw

Banned
For years I have been meaning to actually finish this game. I have started it up and played the intro a bunch of times...got to the part where you can pick jobs for your party, but then I never end up going back to it. It seemed straight forward, but I always thought this game looked like it could be good.

I've never played FFV and Chrono Trigger is my favorite RPG. With that in mind, do you think FFV would hold up? I have access to the PS1/PSN version, or of course I could emulate the SNES original.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I've never played FFV and Chrono Trigger is my favorite RPG. With that in mind, do you think FFV would hold up? I have access to the PS1/PSN version, or of course I could emulate the SNES original.

If you have an SP or DS Lite hanging around then grab the GBA version if you can. And it holds up incredibly well. The story isn't going to set you ablaze, but the reason people continue to play through this game is because of the overall enjoyment of playing it.

Tu101uk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CMTXyExkeI

Absolutely love Clash on the Big Bridge. I've heard it at two different Distant Worlds concerts now, and it was amazing both times (the second time, earlier in November this year, it was part of a medley).

My favourite 2D-era FF, not really for the story (which was inoffensive but still rather cliché) but, like others have said, mainly because of the awesome class system. It's one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to Bravely Default (which, in turn, is one of the main reasons why I am buying a 3DS).

Yuripaw

Banned
where do I start with this series? I have a GBA/3DS and limited time/money so can't play all ATM

With Final Fantasy in general?

I'd say start with Final Fantasy IV (II in america on the SNES). I actually finally beat that game for the first time on my PSVita by playing the PSP version, and it's a great version of that game. It retains the same charm of the snes version, but has higher resolution sprites.

Combat is fairly straight forward, but still challenging. You gotta learn how to make the best use of who you have in your party. Story is basic by today's standards, but still a well made game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I actually found the 2 Legend of the Crystals VHS recently :)

Negator

where do I start with this series? I have a GBA/3DS and limited time/money so can't play all ATM

Starting with the GBA remakes of FF4-6 is a great start. I would recommend going in order actually.

If you have a Wii (U), I'd reccommend the Virtual Console of FF6 (Final Fantasy 3 is the North American name) because the GBA port is not exactly the definitive version of the game due to audio issues.

BocoDragon

I have the PS1 and GBA versions... but there's still a part of me that wants to play this on the original hardware in English. I gotta get a reproduction or a flash cart one of these days.

Taruranto

It aged pretty well, the plot is mostly silly, but it's a 2D game and is gameplay-driven, so it aged pretty well and is plenty of fun.

BocoDragon

It definitely might have held up.....

...but to be honest FFV and Chrono Trigger are light years apart in terms of story style, presentation, gameplay, etc. From the modern day they look so close together (1992 and 1995), but I think they are not even the same era of game.

I'm not making a value judgement about it, because someone could prefer one or the other, or enjoy both (to the well rounded player, they are both great games), but FFV is much more like the last of the classical RPGs, kinda quaint fantasy story... very oldschool gameplay.....

...while Chrono Trigger is one of the first of the post-modern RPGs... more anime-influenced in plot (it's closer to Evangelion than Ghibli).. More dramatic (even as CT is lauded for not being as melodramatic as some later jRPGs, there is clearly more anime pathos going on than in FFV).. and even though it uses the FF series ATB battle system, it's full of gameplay innovations that make it a better experience for a general audience. It's so much more like the later FFVIIs, Xenogears, etc.

In my opinion, liking Chrono Trigger won't equate to liking FFV at all... but yeah, you should try it, because you might still enjoy the very different appeals that they have.

Ahhh yes. This was the second Final Fantasy game I beat, right after 6. It was the third FF game a friend showed me in middle school. The recently released FF7 PC game was the first but that's another story.

I always found this game pretty hard if you didn't exploit the class system but if you did...

My favorite memories from it was Big Bridge, The Great Forest of Moore, the Moogle Forest, Ex-Death being himself, Gilgamesh, adventures in ancient underground bases and the last portion of the Cleft Dimension.

I loved how useful Samurai were but I have a special place in my heart for Mystic Knights. They were so useful.

Oh and Shinryu and his chest hiding ways can go to hell...=O

Omega too. I'll destroy them one day.

I think it was Kobun Heat who said in an interview with the current handheld guy at SE he didn't want to work on FF5 onward since he didn't work on those himself back in the day :(

Dunan

It definitely might have held up.....

...but to be honest FFV and Chrono Trigger are light years apart in terms of story style, presentation, gameplay, etc. From the modern day they look so close together (1992 and 1995), but I think they are not even the same era of game.

I agree. FFVI and all the RPGs that came after it (Chrono, Bahamut Lagoon, Rudra no Hihou, and a few others) are on a whole other level presentation-wise. FFV feels like the last of the NES/early-SNES era of RPGs. Playing this game and then imagining the Magitek Armor walk to Narshe just a few short years later: that's the dividing line.

I first played this game in 1995-96 as an intermediate student of Japanese, and was totally thrilled that my ability measured up to this game. At the time very few Westerners had played it; it was like discovering an unpublished book by one of your favorite authors.

If you're studying Japanese and want to test your mettle on a JRPG, you couldn't pick anything better than this game. Nice big readable fonts, some of the more difficult kanji have explanatory hiragana in parentheses after them, and the story isn't nearly as convoluted as SE RPGs became soon after. It isn't nearly as "dark", either. You'll have a smile on your face when you play it.

pa22word

One of my all time favorite FFs. Excellent game in all aspects. I honestly think if it had made it over here back in the day it'd be revered just as highly as FFIV and FFVI are, tbqh.

This game is so annoyingly grind heavy.

This game is the opposite of grind heavy in my experience o_O

Just get the right strategies and build the right characters and...

Can't get into all the mixing and matching of classes and stuff either.

Yeah, that might explain why you felt the need to grind a lot.

Esura

Banned
This game is so annoyingly grind heavy. Can't get into all the mixing and matching of classes and stuff either.

Great game ! too bad the final boss was a chore if you were not high level. 60ish right ?

No. I beat him much earlier. With the right combo of classes, I beat both forms at level 40, who only got 5 attacks in, if that.

If you don't exploit the class system...prepare to die a lot.

The game also provides plenty of spots to level up your classes with ease sooooo I don't get that criticism...

But hey maybe I just love level grinding.

Ath

To this day, Final Fantasy V is still my favourite Final Fantasy game. I loved fiddling about with the job system, the story and characters had bags of charm (I only played a bit of the GBA version, but its localisation was top-notch!) and the soundtrack is one of my favourites as well. I would love a 3DS remake of this and VI. Soraya Saga wishes it a happy 20th too!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm sad to say that FFV is one of the bottom FFs for me. :(

The final boss was just ridiculous.

Heropon

Final Fantasy V is one of my favourite games and I'm a little sad that it isn't more loved. Its battle system never gets old thanks to a perfect balance between freedom and restrictiveness and that's why I love it so much. The story isn't the typical epic journey with lots of melodrama, but I like it for what it is thanks to the likeable cast and certain pretty good moments.

IrishNinja

fantastic OP from a fantastic gaffer.

prolly the only mainline FF i've not finished - was trying to get it onto my vita, but alas~

what is the definitive version?

Ourobolus

Banned
So good. My second favorite FF behind VI. The job system is so damn good, it's so refreshing to play through as a whole different group.

And as others have said, best set of Blue Mage skills in any FF game (with the possible exception of FFVII) that have such a wide variety of uses throughout the entire game.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
And here I was about to say you're not aeana. First time I played this game I beat it with a walk through. Second time was with that glorious translation patch.

Felt it was a step back from four in some areas and a step or two up in other areas. Six is still my fave for graphics, story, sound, gameplay, etc.

Battle in the big bridge is an awesome tune though

Yazus

While I still think IV, V and VI are the holy trinity of 2D RPG and of JRPGs in general, FFV will always be my personal favourite.

Played it on SNES, PSX, GBA countless times... Ah, the memories

SNES version is the definitive version.
The GBA version screwed up with the random encounter rate among other things...even tho it has the new classes. Plus the music and sound also took a hit with the inferior GBA sound chip.

Anyway, FF5 is the best FF in the series IMO.

Anybody here on GAF who can contact Square and SCEA for making it Vita compatible?
I'll just keep asking because I am just a silly Dutchman who doesn't know what to do to make it possible.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Only game I ever marathon ran! That was insane. Loved it. Nearly cried when I beat Exdeath. I was so tired, haha.
Going to do it again in 2013!

Dunan

SNES version is the definitive version.
The GBA version screwed up with the random encounter rate among other things...even tho it has the new classes.

What did they do to the encounter rate? I was thinking of picking up the GBA version so as to finally play this game in English
and have an excuse to pull out my unloved DS again

Heropon

Only game I ever marathon ran! That was insane. Loved it. Nearly cried when I beat Exdeath. I was so tired, haha.
Going to do it again in 2013!

I loved your marathon, even when you tried to get a death scythe and the enemies didn't want to give you one. The blue mage and the bard were really great assets, I hope you don't get them again.

Honestly, I thought FFV deserved more of a remake than FFIV did but that's just me personally.

I love FFIV, best game in the series IMO. but, it would have been nice to see a remake of V instead of the 2?3? remakes that FFIV had.

why didn't 5 or 6 ever get a remake? SE is fucked in the head.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I'm playing this right now for the first time, GBA version. Most fun to play on the SP IMO

Should I stick to one job or mix it in with something else?

I like how FF5 lets you take your mages and make them more viable in regular fights just by giving them the barehanded ability from monks. Do that, and they can dish out loads of physical damage when they're not casting spells. That one realization way back when may have actually been the point where I fell in love with the new version of the job system.
I should do this. Mages absolutely suck when it comes to physical damage

The greatest crime ever inflicted upon humanity is that SQUARE-FUCKING-ENIX has not put Hiroyuki Ito in charge of an FF4DS-style remake of this game.

This, so much! My favorite is FFIV, and wow that remake was a real treat. These classic FF games should be given a little more love from SE. To think what they could do with FFV: new end-game challenges, get a great VO for Faris, additions to the abilities and job system, oh my :)

My favourite FF by a significant margin, playing the GBA version right now and I'm having a great time with it. The freedom in handling your party chemistry is my favourite aspect of it, but I'm also a fan of the game not taking itself too seriously.

The greatest crime ever inflicted upon humanity is that SQUARE-FUCKING-ENIX has not put Hiroyuki Ito in charge of an FF4DS-style remake of this game.
I think it's a blessing that a style of that game wasn't released on the DS, as I still prefer the spritework over the polygonal handling of FFIII and FFIV. Though something of that style on the 3DS would be glorious. One can hope.

Top Bottom