• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII on PS3 and PS4 (Gameblog rumor)

If renamed FFXV, wouldn't the gameplay have to be changed too? I thought Versus XIII was supposed to be a more "mature" Kingdom Hearts style?

I do not think that Versus XIII will ever be released. Man, I was still in highschool when we first heard of this game!

Haunted

I'd rather they make a next generation game from the ground up instead of up-porting a game stuck in PS3 development hell.

whatever, they've lost me with XIII and XIII-2 and XIV and their shitty mobile spinoffs and cash-ins anyway

Spongebob

Banned
If renamed FFXV, wouldn't the gameplay have to be changed too? I thought Versus XIII was supposed to be a more "mature" Kingdom Hearts style?

I do not think that Versus XIII will ever be released. Man, I was still in highschool when we first heard of this game!
Absolutely not, I'm not sure where people keep on getting this idea from.

Soriku

I don't think there's any rule that states a main FF can't be an action RPG. Kitase did say ignoring the market for action RPGs would be at their peril...

NotLiquid

I find it funny when people say this, because it's as if they didn't end up using their PS3s to play titles other than Versus XIII and The Last Guardian.

In that particular context, people were sold on those games specifically. They've practically had around six years to work and they're not done, people moved on. For me personally they wouldn't convince me to get a PS4.

That's not going to be changing people buying PS4 for whatever game but its still laughable to imagine so many hurdles ending up in a must-have key title being moved to the next console. Strikes of terrible management.

Famassu

BTW, Versus XIII was moved a long time ago to PS4 and will be rebranded as FFXV.

Sorry, it couldn't have been "a long time ago", if this has happened then the move happened a year ago at most, or not much earlier than that. They showed this in 2011 when it was still very much a PS3 game (and there's nothing indicating that things changed any time soon after that).

I don't think there's any rule that states a main FF can't be an action RPG. Kitase did say ignoring the market for action RPGs would be at their peril...
I know that *I* personally wouldn't mind if the next iteration of the FF series to be an action RPG, but I guess it would be interesting to see them deviate from the standard RPG gameplay already established from the past games to this new beast.

Fake Edit: Well, scratch that. I honestly think that I would rather the "side" games be action RPGs. Keep tradition going, you know?

Takuya

Banned

It's coming, don't worry.

Please be excited.

I know that *I* personally wouldn't mind if the next iteration of the FF series to be an action RPG, but I guess it would be interesting to see them deviate from the standard RPG gameplay already established from the past games to this new beast.

It all depends on how much Square is willing to allow the series to change. Nomura once mentioned that he felt that he'd be allowed to play around more with Versus since it wasn't part of the mainline games.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It all depends on how much Square is willing to allow the series to change. Nomura once mentioned that he felt that he'd be allowed to play around more with Versus since it wasn't part of the mainline games.

I kind of wonder if this is one of those internal politics issues that we've heard about. With the FNC thing having collapsed and Agito already renamed, SE may have wanted to change Versus into XV rather than have it a potentially lower selling spin-off or new IP. But they might have wanted some thematic or gameplay changes in the process that Nomura didn't agree with. Result being some disagreement about what should be done with the game.

nampad

Even though I would get the PS4 version if this rumor is true and the PS3 version of this game will probably hold it back to some extent, I am happy if it still gets a PS3 release.
Many people were promised this game for PS3 for a long time and many bought one for its release.

Famassu

I'd rather they make a next generation game from the ground up instead of up-porting a game stuck in PS3 development hell.
It hasn't been in development hell. I'm repeating this the millionth time, but Versus 1) was announced a long time before they could really start working on it, 2) there have been a couple of massive design change decisions made relatively late that have probably caused them to scrap some work & to have to do more in general, lengthening the development process(move from old school-ish world map into a more FFXII-like overworld, making cutscenes more interactive/not as "sit & watch-y" as usual for JRPGs/FFs) and 3) management has delayed Versus' completion (the ex-KH Team has had to help with other projects for long periods of time). I just haven't gotten any kind of impression that it's in development hell, it's simply one hugely massive, ambitious project (they've probably had some obstacles to conquer, but nothing out of the ordinary for game development) that simply can't be developed in the usual 2-3 year development schedule like your usual procedurally generated Bethesda crap.

whatever, they've lost me with XIII and XIII-2 and XIV and their shitty mobile spinoffs and cash-ins anyway
I always find this kind of attitude so stupid & silly. So no matter if Versus ends up being good, you're saying you just won't be getting it because a few other Final Fantasy games were not to your liking? Bleh, whatever, your loss.

Boogybro

9dcxLix.jpg

Surely if this game is being developed for next gen then Sony would also put GT6 on PS4. I pray whoever is making this call also has say in GT.

Even if it were true didn't people already speculate this a thousand times? It wouldn't really be surprising. That's assuming the game will be any good too, which games taking this long rarely are

Korezo

They shouldn't rename to xv, I think the people who play the turn based vs action for FF are completly different. Some people like and know ff because of its turn based style and wouldn't touch action RPGs. They should keep there differnt styles named differently. I bet if versus releases as xv, peoples reviews on amazon or w/e will complain that this game is not FF.

I'm starting to believe those rumors. I was kind of iffy at first, but more and more info seems to be trickling out. If this ends up being true it is a pretty big get for Sony.

Spongebob

Banned
It hasn't been in development hell. I'm repeating this the millionth time, but Versus 1) was announced a long time before they could really start working on it, 2) there have been a couple of massive design change decisions made relatively late that have probably caused them to scrap some work & to have to do more in general, lengthening the development process(move from old school-ish world map into a more FFXII-like overworld, making cutscenes more interactive/not as "sit & watch-y" as usual for JRPGs/FFs) and 3) management has delayed Versus' completion (the ex-KH Team has had to help with other projects for long periods of time). I just haven't gotten any kind of impression that it's in development hell, it's simply one hugely massive, ambitious project (they've probably had some obstacles to conquer, but nothing out of the ordinary for game development) that simply can't be developed in the usual 2-3 year development schedule like your usual procedurally generated Bethesda crap.

I think what you've described here is development hell.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Only point 2, but yeah, that is basically the definition of development hell.

Point 1 is just stupidity on SE's part (this game doesn't exist beyond this trailer and a rough draft story, but check it out!) and point 3 shows that, for some reason unknown to us, it's apparently a lower priority project than the things staff is being pulled to work on.

Famassu

I see development hell as something where the game actually gets worked on (something that has not always happened with Versus), yet nothing is advancing as they should be (I don't see something like them chancing the overworld-style, which wasn't done because the old style was shit but because they had a change of mind on what they wanted to achieve with the game, and that causing a somewhat big delay as something development hell-y) and what DOES get done is shit, often there are even different teams involved when the publisher tries to get things done after they notice one team is wasting their resources and/or results leave a lot to be desired. A big reason why Versus isn't out yet simply has nothing to do with Versus itself, but bigger problems at Square Enix at large + upper management not giving Versus' development team the kind of support Kitase has gotten with his on-going saga to destroy the FF franchise or the massive team fixing the FFXIV1.0 disaster.

Point 2 isn't development hell. Plans change all the time, this change was done because Nomura seemed to have liked FFXII's approach a lot and decided that he'd like Versus to be closer to that than old school FFs. Long development time itself =! development hell, that's just silly logic.

Point 1 is just stupidity on SE's part (this game doesn't exist beyond this trailer and a rough draft story, but check it out!) and point 3 shows that, for some reason unknown to us, it's apparently a lower priority project than the things staff is being pulled to work on.
Yeah, point 1 was stupid of Square Enix. That was seven years ago, they can't undo their mistake and they've already apologized about it and learned from it (they don't announce games too much in advance nowadays, some games even a lot later than is the norm).

Point 3 is kind of easy to explain. FFXIII did some damage to the FF name, they rushed XIII-2 out real quick in which they tried to address a lot of the complaints that FFXIII got. It kind of left the story in a cliffhanger (why the excecs let Toriyama leave it in a cliffhanger we'll never know), so they'll want to finish the story ASAP.

XIV is basically the successor to what is the most profitable game Square or Enix has ever had, so it's quite clear why they are putting such huge efforts into fixing it. If XIV can be even half as successful as FFXI, then it will have been worth it.

In the meanwhile they'll let Nomura & Co have as much time to make Versus as good as possible so that it's not another XIII or XIV where they'd need years of damage control afterwards.

A typical day for me.

-I wake up.
-I get ready for work.
-I eat breakfast.
-I go to work.
-I see a VersusXIII rumor.
-I pick up my kid from school.
-I do her homework with her.
-I eat dinner.
-I go to bed.

The end.

Elios83

I don't know if they actually have a source or if they're just creating their own version of the vgleak rumor to get hits.
But the situation is pretty obvious, Versus XIII was in development hell, they couldn't make the game on PS3 alone, let alone going multiplatform and Square Enix couldn't afford to pour in more money. If the project was to be saved they needed financial and technical help. Sony provided both in exchange of a big exclusive for their new PS4 console during the first year of the lifecycle.
We'll see at E3 if this is PS4 only or PS3/PS4.

BadWolf

I see development hell as something where the game actually gets worked on (something that has not always happened with Versus), yet nothing is advancing as they should be (I don't see something like them chancing the overworld-style, which wasn't done because the old style was shit but because they had a change of mind on what they wanted to achieve with the game, and that causing a somewhat big delay as something development hell-y) and what DOES get done is shit, often there are even different teams involved when the publisher tries to get things done after they notice one team is wasting their resources and/or results leave a lot to be desired. A big reason why Versus isn't out yet simply has nothing to do with Versus itself, but bigger problems at Square Enix at large + upper management not giving Versus' development team the kind of support Kitase has gotten with his on-going saga to destroy the FF franchise or the massive team fixing the FFXIV1.0 disaster.

Yeah Versus is a different in that it was announced way ahead of them actually working on it and even when they did work on it it was off and on with the team going back and forth and working on other games.

The Last Guardian on the other hand, now that is development hell.

Radec

Name change to continue on tradition:

NES:
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III

SNES:
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI

PS1:
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX

PS2:
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII

PS3:
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Final Fantasy XIII-Lightning Returns
Final Fantasy XIV
???

Fixed. :p

daveo42

Banned

Weren't they producing both games at about the same time, with FFXIII getting a lead-off? The real development hell came in from Crystal Tools which was a horrible engine and continued to push back the first game. When SE found out the engine was shit, they dropped the production of Versus to finish XIII and then go back to it once it launched. 4 years after the announcement, we finally get XIII and production is back on for Versus. We get a new trailer right after everyone gets pulled to fix XIV and it is essentially dropped again to fix another issue SE created.

Point 3 stands out the most at a corporate level as not being as important as all the other development sinks they currently have. I don't think Versus has been in development hell all these years, it's been left on the back burner while SE went about spending and fixing all the other issues they had internally with their games. My guess is that they may have had a total of two years work at most towards the game when the updated trailer came out a few years ago. The rest was trying to fix Crystal Tools for XIII and working on XIV.

Road

I always find this kind of attitude so stupid & silly. So no matter if Versus ends up being good, you're saying you just won't be getting it because a few other Final Fantasy games were not to your liking? Bleh, whatever, your loss.

Yes, you have been defending Versus development time for nearly 2 years.

How many years will you have to repeat that until you consider it is development hell? A thousand? =P

Midou

I never really thought it was in development hell, just that SE was incompetent. If it took them so many years to release a linear Final Fantasy, they can take all the time they want if they can push out something closer to their PS1/PS2 offerings whether in FF or KH.

Hindle

Banned
Right. Roughly when would people say full development on this started? I've heard 2011 quoted. Also, when do we expect the game to come out? There is still a chance the game could slip into development hell.

Edit. If it usually takes 4 or 5 years to make an FF, then the game could be out by 2015, possibly 2016. That's if development started on VS properly in 2011.

But this is a fairly typical story with games in development hell (in fairness, it also happens with games that release on time and w/in the ballpark of the original budget): the developers change their vision, and the finish line recedes into the distance. One of the reasons for Duke Nukem Forever's delays was that the director continued to dream up new weapons and features well into the development process. Now, that project had a host of other problems, but it also illustrates something that may well be affecting Versus. When a game experiences major delays, whether it is the development team's fault or not, more delays sometimes follow as the team tries to incorporate graphical and gameplay ideas from games that have released in the interim. Even if Versus were not affected by that particular problem, however, I would still describe a situation in which staff and resources are continually pulled onto other projects (over a period of several years) as "development hell."

Famassu

Yes, you have been defending Versus development time for nearly 2 years.

How many years will you have to repeat that until you consider it is development hell? A thousand? =P
Considering 2010 was probably the first whole year a team of any size could actually work on Versus (after which we got the fuckawesome trailer in January 2011) and considering the (on-going) situation with fixing XIV that most of Square Enix (+ shittons of outsourced workers) is tied to, not quite yet. This whole generation has been a bit of a clusterfuck for Square Enix's console development. Not only one, but two big bombs that caused so much damage that they are still trying to fix the situation years later. Versus is the biggest victim of that, pretty much. If it wasn't for the need to give Toriyama & Kitase the chance to fix mainline FF's name (which they haven't used well, hopefully Lightning Returns is the final chance for that, EVER) and XIV's massive rebuilding, I'm sure they'd have had a big enough team working on Versus for a long enough time that it would be out already.

This is what I think happened:

*Game starts out on Crystal tools
*Crystal tools, only good for corridor cinematic games (hit detection in FFXIII was lol worthy)
*His programmers develop their own engine from scratch (better hit detection, more charactes on screen, more physics on screen, more open world)
*Meanwhile development of Luminous engine is on going, impresses everyone withing Square Enix
*Nomura being the graphic whore he is, switches the lighting engine to luminous engine
*Luminous engine has advanced, Nomura doesn't get resources/manpower because everyone is busy developing Final Fantasy 14 and those horrible XIII sequels
*Nomura is blown away by Luminous, remakes the entire game for Luminous
*Sony comes in, buys out Versus13

Game is exclusive for PS4, PS3 gets an inferior game that runs and looks like crap

I would say from announcement of "This is a product that is coming out" to release qualifies as development time.

That it takes them years to actually work on it isn't really evidence against it being development hell. It merely means that the incompetent standstill was at the beginning and not the middle.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Major changes to the game's design on the scale of what we've seen for Versus XIII is usually indicative of development hell. Changing the overworld style is not a small or easy change, unless they had nothing more than prototypes before it was changed. Things can change during development, but that kind of stuff is supposed to be nailed down before they go full force into production. Otherwise you end up with scope creep tons money wasted on unused content (oh hi FFXIII!)

Edit: Beaten by decoyplatypus

StuBurns

Banned
Seems like a no brainer really, it's not out this year, next year the 'core' will have moved their attention to next-gen, but the PS3 install base will still be healthy.

I don't know that it's a rumour, so much as deductive reasoning.

This won't be in Final Fantasy XV. It'll be rebranded 'final fantasy'. All lower case and modern-like. Trust me, I know. Noctis will also have a shaved head now.

But seriously though, I won't be surprised seeing this renamed FFXV and shifted to PS4. I'm confident E3 will have something. Confident!

Top Bottom