• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Final Fantasy VI for Steam Mod. Undoing Square's damage

fvng

Sep 25, 2012
Downloads, Bilinear filter removal patch by Nyxo:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38150185/FFVI/FFVI_Defilter_903963.zip

Super insightful blog post:

http://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way-ffvi-edition/

Interactive Comparison:

https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/screenshot/34207/full/

Steam Discussion Thread:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ff-modding/discussions/1/487877107133753844/#p1

Personal Note: Square Enix better fix this shit natively for the inevitable psn release. Original sprites and please and no filters

Alternate Scenario (if anyone at SqEx actually made some effort):

GhostTrick

Banned
Jan 11, 2012
It's not ready yet. Modders released tools, now we're waiting for the original sprites. Once its done, I buy it.

meptrep

Jan 23, 2014
Even with a mod, why would you want to support these awful cheap cash-in ports by buying it off Steam? Like, you're complaining that they release a broken port you're still going to buy it?

GhostTrick

Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Can we also get a mod to replace the Arial font too?

I think you're supposed to be able to do that by replacing the font file. I remember FFIV was easily moddable this way, as the font file was in the game files.

fvng

Sep 25, 2012
Why do you think square is releasing it on PSN?

Speculative obviously. based on the fact that the PSN release of FF7 happened after the Steam release

Yeah if they were going to be porting these anywhere else they'd have started by now.

Well unless you have their corporate offices wiretapped no one would really know either way

Not like you would know if they started or not anyway

Wasp

Feb 29, 2012
Scarborough
psnprofiles.com

Flandy

Oct 25, 2013
I wish they would get whoever it is that did the PSP version of Final Fantasy 4 to make these ports

fvng

Sep 25, 2012

UncleSporky

Sep 22, 2006
Disagree with the image macro in the OP, FF6 GBA was incredible. Good additions to the game overall.

Aselith

Mar 17, 2008
www.youtube.com
Depends if you want something true to the original art. I don't find the original art repulsive

Yeah, those are horrible looking. I think it's the faces that look basically the same on the men and the women but they threw some character costumes on them. All those angry anime eyes.

fvng

Sep 25, 2012
I haven't seen a good looking screenshot yet.

You prefer the filtered version?

Disagree with the image macro in the OP, FF6 GBA was incredible. Good additions to the game overall.

Shit sound is a game where the music was masterful is a deal breaker. Everything else was fine though

Yeah, those are horrible looking. I think it's the faces that look basically the same on the men and the women but they threw some character costumes on them. All those angry anime eyes.

Love the OG art

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Sep 10, 2007
The original pixel art is perfected pixel craft, you won't find anything better

This looks like an improvement to me over what we have now

Radogol

Jan 13, 2010
Even with a mod, why would you want to support these awful cheap cash-in ports by buying it off Steam? Like, you're complaining that they release a broken port you're still going to buy it?

It's ugly as hell but it's not broken. Mechanically it's the definitive version of the game.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jun 7, 2004
Look forward to seeing progress on this.

Hope they restore Invis/Doom as well (assuming steam version doesn't allow it just like the IOS version)

Basileus777

Aug 6, 2008

The port is not broken. It's the best version of the game but with uglier sprites, and even that is likely to change soon enough.

Feb 19, 2007

This is about being satisfied with the end result not making statements.

Horsemama1956

Jan 28, 2010
The steam version isn't even the same game as the snes version, with the redone sprites and all of the extras from the GBA version. Its like comparing SF2 turbo to SSF2. It'd be unethical as hell.

Disagree, it's close enough. Unless he needs to tell everyone he's emulating it, who cares.

fvng

Sep 25, 2012
If we're going to talk original art... I'll take Amano's over the chibi character art any day.

Oh no doubt but this is never going to happen. It's like SqEx wants to distance themselves from Amano if it's not logo illustrations

MagnaderAlpha

Jul 14, 2013

That's Lord Nomura for you(yes, he did the concept art for those designs):

Some of XV's designs are pretty in tune with the old concept art.

Yeah, with some of the designs in FFXIV, and the monsters in FFXV(Goblin and Naga), Square don't seem AS anal regarding Amano's art as they were in the 00s.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Jun 25, 2014
Good, I can't imagine playing this with the art in there now. Personally I think the GBA art is great too, even prefer it. But I never played it to finish on the SNES so there is that.