• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI for Steam Mod. Undoing Square's damage

fvng

Downloads, Bilinear filter removal patch by Nyxo:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38150185/FFVI/FFVI_Defilter_903963.zip

Super insightful blog post:

http://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way-ffvi-edition/

Interactive Comparison:

https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/screenshot/34207/full/

Steam Discussion Thread:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ff-modding/discussions/1/487877107133753844/#p1

Personal Note: Square Enix better fix this shit natively for the inevitable psn release. Original sprites and please and no filters

jLTtVuo.png

Alternate Scenario (if anyone at SqEx actually made some effort):

meptrep

Even with a mod, why would you want to support these awful cheap cash-in ports by buying it off Steam? Like, you're complaining that they release a broken port you're still going to buy it?

VariantX

if i buy the steam version is it still unethical to download the SNES rom?

The steam version isn't even the same game as the snes version, with the redone sprites and all of the extras from the GBA version. Its like comparing SF2 turbo to SSF2. It'd be unethical as hell.

fvng

Why do you think square is releasing it on PSN?

Speculative obviously. based on the fact that the PSN release of FF7 happened after the Steam release

Yeah if they were going to be porting these anywhere else they'd have started by now.

Well unless you have their corporate offices wiretapped no one would really know either way

Not like you would know if they started or not anyway

Alvarez

Banned
Can someone take a screenshot of a windowed version of FF6 PC? I'm wondering if the game looks better at a smaller resolution.

Wasp

GamerJM

Banned
This still looks bad. It's like, a very minimal improvement. There's no way I'd rather play this than the SNES version still.

Aselith

Depends if you want something true to the original art. I don't find the original art repulsive

FFVI.jpg

Yeah, those are horrible looking. I think it's the faces that look basically the same on the men and the women but they threw some character costumes on them. All those angry anime eyes.

fvng

I haven't seen a good looking screenshot yet.

You prefer the filtered version?

Disagree with the image macro in the OP, FF6 GBA was incredible. Good additions to the game overall.

Shit sound is a game where the music was masterful is a deal breaker. Everything else was fine though

Yeah, those are horrible looking. I think it's the faces that look basically the same on the men and the women but they threw some character costumes on them. All those angry anime eyes.

Love the OG art

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
The original pixel art is perfected pixel craft, you won't find anything better

This looks like an improvement to me over what we have now

Radogol

Even with a mod, why would you want to support these awful cheap cash-in ports by buying it off Steam? Like, you're complaining that they release a broken port you're still going to buy it?

It's ugly as hell but it's not broken. Mechanically it's the definitive version of the game.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Look forward to seeing progress on this.

Hope they restore Invis/Doom as well (assuming steam version doesn't allow it just like the IOS version)

The port is not broken. It's the best version of the game but with uglier sprites, and even that is likely to change soon enough.

This is about being satisfied with the end result not making statements.

The steam version isn't even the same game as the snes version, with the redone sprites and all of the extras from the GBA version. Its like comparing SF2 turbo to SSF2. It'd be unethical as hell.

Disagree, it's close enough. Unless he needs to tell everyone he's emulating it, who cares.

fvng

If we're going to talk original art... I'll take Amano's over the chibi character art any day.

amano_ffv.jpg

latest

Oh no doubt but this is never going to happen. It's like SqEx wants to distance themselves from Amano if it's not logo illustrations

That's Lord Nomura for you(yes, he did the concept art for those designs):
latest

Some of XV's designs are pretty in tune with the old concept art.

Yeah, with some of the designs in FFXIV, and the monsters in FFXV(Goblin and Naga), Square don't seem AS anal regarding Amano's art as they were in the 00s.

Good, I can't imagine playing this with the art in there now. Personally I think the GBA art is great too, even prefer it. But I never played it to finish on the SNES so there is that.

Top Bottom