• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI for Steam Mod. Undoing Square's damage

Aselith

Good, I can't imagine playing this with the art in there now. Personally I think the GBA art is great too, even prefer it. But I never played it originally on the SNES so there is that.

GBA is a faithful version

latest

Peltz

Eh... I'll just stick to the SNES cart. Why SE thinks the sprites need any updating at all is beyond me.

Yarbskoo

Depends if you want something true to the original art. I don't find the original art repulsive

FFVI.jpg

I'd be fine with sprites like these, though I still wish they'd do a 3D remake like III and IV. If they try and turn it into a huge event series like VII, I'll just not even bother and stick with the Wii VC version.

Yeah, with some of the designs in FFXIV, and the monsters in FFXV(Goblin and Naga), Square don't seem AS anal regarding Amano's art as they were in the 00s.

I don't think they had anything against Amano's art in the 00s. It's just that his art is incredibly difficult to animate, let alone animate in 3D.

Hell, Deva Zan has been in development hell for like half a decade now.

Battlechili

Banned
This is awesome! I'm so happy modders are doing this. I'm much more comfortable purchasing FFVI on Steam knowing that modders are working to make it better. These improvements are great.

Chillz0r

Banned
The port is such a trainwreck, makes me mad they do my favorite game of all time this kind of injustice.

Higher resolution sprites without putrid filters, no stretching and a good readable font. Im not asking for much am i... :(

The FF6 fanbase will eventually fix it, until then Squenix isnt getting a cent from me, not rewarding their poor job.

Xiraiya

Filtering sprites always looks bad, a lesson that should have been properly learned 15 years ago when emulating Gameboy and SNES games on PC was new and exciting.
I really enjoy the crisp and colorful PSP style of sprites they had for the FF Anniversary stuff, surely removing a filter from 4 would be as simple disabling it in a file in the install directory or a hex edit of the exe or something.

RedSwirl

I wish they would get whoever it is that did the PSP version of Final Fantasy 4 to make these ports

I feel the same way, but I always wondered why people criticized the PSP version of FF4. It looks like what Square probably imagined when they first made that game.

If people don't like that style though, in my mind an optimal remake (that would still maintain the same gameplay) would be something like the 3D remakes of FF3 and 4 but with higher quality models -- perhaps a look similar to the 3DS version of Dragon Qust 7. I never really liked the DS versions of FF3 and 4 all that much because I never thought the original DS had the horsepower to make models based on Amano's designs look good. The DQ games (and that Dragonball DS game) look better on DS because Toriyama's more angular character designs were a better fit for the low-poly models.

atbigelow

Nice to see some progress. Removing that blur was a good first step. Hope they can fix the horizontal scaling next, as that won't require new assets.

As for the sprites: I think a good first step would be to revert all the new character sprites to double-scaled versions of the SNES sprites. That would at least prevent vomit.

It'd be very cool if a project was stared to make new sprites that weren't trash. Maybe something like FF4 PSP. But at least better than the official ones.

Teknoman

That's Lord Nomura for you(yes, he did the concept art for those designs):
latest

Yeah, with some of the designs in FFXIV, and the monsters in FFXV(Goblin and Naga), Square don't seem AS anal regarding Amano's art as they were in the 00s.

FFXIV enemies that appear in other games are dead on Amano recreations as well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Alternate Scenario (if anyone at SqEx actually made some effort):

vD2oPTy.jpg
When people praise this shot, I feel like I'm from another planet. This looks like a shitty RPG Maker 2000 game.

Except the iOS/Steam sprites actually look fantastic in motion; they just don't look that great in still screens.

Do they look better than the SNES sprites? Not particularly, but they don't necessarily look worse either. They just look different.

Anyone actually calling Square (or any game developer) "lazy" just because they don't like something genuinely, truly has absolutely no clue what they're talking about.

vD2oPTy.jpg
[/QUOTE]

This looks absolutely horrible and amateurish, and far worse than either the SNES or iOS/Steam versions. I would never want to play this.

fvng

When people praise this shot, I feel like I'm from another planet. This looks like a shitty RPG Maker 2000 game.

i would love to see any rpg maker 2000 game that looks like that. This is such a bullshit post

Dark_castle

I'M WAITING FOR THE DAY that Square uses modern tech to create a game that remains totally faithful to Amano's concept artwork. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Same.

Square has all the resources, budget and people to make a game that looks like a living hand-painted fantasy artwork but in full modern HD graphics. But no, of course they reserve these type of creativity for smaller games like Setsuna, World of FF (though they had to take it to the extreme and make the characters look like fucking muppet babies) and chase after photo-realism and modern setting for their bigger titles. I guess the profit made from games like Grand Theft Auto series really helped to convince certain developer to take less risk on making unconventional art style and setting and go after something more people are already familiar with.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nice to see some progress. Removing that blur was a good first step. Hope they can fix the horizontal scaling next, as that won't require new assets.

As for the sprites: I think a good first step would be to revert all the new character sprites to double-scaled versions of the SNES sprites. That would at least prevent vomit.

It'd be very cool if a project was stared to make new sprites that weren't trash. Maybe something like FF4 PSP. But at least better than the official ones.

Honestly,I'd rather someone just cleaned the new "HD" sprites up a bit, perhaps pick a slightly less saturated palette to better match the backgrounds, but since the filter removal I think they look fine personally.

what should have happened is a FFIV Complete Collection style remake.

I thought it was super weird how they made a beautiful 2D remake and then that super ugly 3D remake. It's was like it was 1996 all over again when the industry decided that primitive shitty 3D was better than good 2D.

Edit: I had the order way off. The PSP version was released line four years after the DS version. Wow. Then why is the DS version the "canonical" release that is out on mobile and Steam and everything? That's even weirder to me.

atbigelow

Honestly,I'd rather someone just cleaned the new "HD" sprites up a bit, perhaps pick a slightly less saturated palette to better match the backgrounds, but since the filter removal I think they look fine personally.
The new sprites lack so much depth its insane. Removing the filtering makes them better as they're LESS of a blurry mess. But they're still in a clashing style with the tiles and everything else. The arms are perfectly vertical lines with no shading. They look like paper cutouts.

The new sprites could be saved...if they were entirely redone.

Grief.exe

Need to get Jshackles in here to show us some of the spirtes he has been working on.

XFvyryG.png

Better?
Edit: Better.
And thank you, Renmyra, for being a faster mind than I. :p

Does the GBA titles wash out all of their games due to a portion of their playerbase not having a back light available?

Here's a more recent and higher quality bilinear filter removal patch by Nyxo from the Steam discussion and posted here by jshackles:

https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilt....com/u/38150185/FFVI/FFVI_Defilter_903963.zip

a9zm770.png

Add this to OP please, more relevant than the included picture.

morikaze

Banned
Say what you will about everything else but am I the only one who thinks the battle backgrounds look beautiful in this and the ios version of the game? To me they capture the feeling of the original backgrounds very well.

Its a small improvement but the new sprites and backgrounds are just terrible. Looks like it fell out of gamemaker.

Why do you think square is releasing it on PSN?

I wouldnt be shocked if they do something leading up to the release of XV.

One classic FF game a month or something up until release day. I'd still take the borked PS1 version over this though

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Except the iOS/Steam sprites actually look fantastic in motion; they just don't look that great in still screens.

Do they look better than the SNES sprites? Not particularly, but they don't necessarily look worse either. They just look different.

Anyone actually calling Square (or any game developer) "lazy" just because they don't like something genuinely, truly has absolutely no clue what they're talking about.

This looks absolutely horrible and amateurish, and far worse than either the SNES or iOS/Steam versions. I would never want to play this.

They're either lazy or complete fucking hacks. The sprites in the new release are embarrassing. Calling them lazy is giving them the benefit of the doubt for this Steam release, at least lazy implies they could have done better.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Does the GBA titles wash out all of their games due to a portion of their playerbase not having a back light available?

Yes, and it's infuriating when playing on a DS. Using modded ROMs that restore the color palletes on a DS screen makes it look so much better.

Grief.exe

Say what you will about everything else but am I the only one who thinks the battle backgrounds look beautiful in this and the ios version of the game? To me they capture the feeling of the original backgrounds very well.

The battle backgrounds and enemy sprites seem to look great, the problem lies in the lack of cohesion in the art style.

It's readily apparent that the player sprites were done by a different team completely disconnected from the main port team.

Also, how the fuck do you not notice your sprites are scaling improperly?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The new sprites lack so much depth its insane. Removing the filtering makes them better as they're LESS of a blurry mess. But they're still in a clashing style with the tiles and everything else. The arms are perfectly vertical lines with no shading. They look like paper cutouts.

The new sprites could be saved...if they were entirely redone.

Eh, re-shaded maybe? The palettes and shading are the two things that make them stick out, as the rest of FFVI is pretty muted colour-wise, they could salvage them without having to re-do them completely. I hope someone tries to anway. Otherwise they're fairly nice detailed high-res sprites

We're totally gonna get custom spritesets in the game sooner or later, so everyone will get what they want :)

The battle backgrounds and enemy sprites seem to look great, the problem lies in the lack of cohesion in the art style.

It's readily apparent that the player sprites were done by a different team completely disconnected from the main port team.

Also, how the fuck do you not notice your sprites are scaling improperly?

The funny thing is that apparently the remade sprites are made by the original sprite artist.

Top Bottom