• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI for Steam Mod. Undoing Square's damage

entremet

D7C15567960F1FF2E0D19F67EE56B11F6166D7FD

I do believe it's time to start solo power leveling!

If you really wanna destroy with Locke, give him the Valiant Knife, keep him in low HP, give him the Offering (Master Scroll in this translation) and he will go to town.

Dude is a beast with that combo.

Rezae

I've been playing a mobile game called Final Fantasy: Brave Exvious that features characters from various FF games and seems to have most of FF VI characters in it.

I think they've done a really good job with the spritework in that game and would probably be a dream come true to be able to somehow get those sprites into FF VI. It seems easy enough for people to extract the sprites from the game, but I can't imagine how complex it must be to implement them in FF VI.

Here is Celes for example:
SxEfB8k.gif

ZE6ZI7d.gif

Here's a video from the game featuring a team of Terra, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan and Shadow:
https://youtu.be/ORoOieQ316w?t=246

Animation in the video looks a little janky, but the artwork itself looks amazing. I'd be all over a VI remake in that style.

Modding is coming along pretty well so far. Nyxo released his FFVI_Explore tool that lets modders extract sprite data from the encrypted obb file the game uses, and the latest version allows modders to create "patches" that can be applied individually so that you don't have to redistribute the 700MB file each time you release a mod, and it means you can apply multiple mods without having to extract/apply them yourself.

Steam user pluckylump is working on a respriting effort that does the characters justice. Some of his WIP stuff looks really promising, but he's got a long ways to go.

Steam user Monterossa is working on a mod that will remove the NA censoring from the game and take it back to it's original Japanese SNES roots. Screenshot here of his resprited Siron esper.

Finally, Steam user jObEfiSH is working on a sprite mod that just changes a few character sprites to more closely match their character portraits. A WIP shot is here of Locke.

Nothing too exciting just yet, but that's what we've got so far.

Those are cool but honestly the removal of the filter made the game fine for me. They look like pixels now and not marshmallow models. I might remove the portraits during conversations though. The art just clashes but it's good art.

Although a reshade filter to slightly darken the game would be good too, it just looks a tad over bright for my crt nostalgia goggles.

Eila

Wii Virtual Console. I think that's it for the original.

It's also on the PS Store as a PS1 classic.
In Japan it's also on the Wii U VC, both the SNES and GBA versions.
Game is looking less repulsive everytime I watch it, although I still don't like the redrawn HD backgrounds, HD fonts and the smartphone friendly menus.

Haunted

I really dislike how they changed the perspective in the character sprite art as well.

Subjective opinions like they're worse from an art pov aside (they absolutely are, imo), changing the perspective and fucking up the filter makes the remake look flat, cheap and clash with other elements on the screen... the dreadful mobile UI and font choice do the rest and pretty much ruin the original, timeless aesthetic.

I've been playing a mobile game called Final Fantasy: Brave Exvious that features characters from various FF games and seems to have most of FF VI characters in it.

I think they've done a really good job with the spritework in that game and would probably be a dream come true to be able to somehow get those sprites into FF VI. It seems easy enough for people to extract the sprites from the game, but I can't imagine how complex it must be to implement them in FF VI.

SxEfB8k.gif

ZE6ZI7d.gif

Here's a video from the game featuring a team of Terra, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan and Shadow:
Those are pretty terrific PS1-era sprite renditions of the characters.

jett

D-Member

SxEfB8k.gif

ZE6ZI7d.gif

Man those are nice, and retain the chibiness of the originals. :/ Too bad these ports are nothing but quick cash-grabs to Square.

Falk

that puzzling face
I really dislike how they changed the perspective in the character sprite art as well.

Subjective opinions like they're worse from an art pov (they absolutely are, imo), changing the perspective and fucking up the filter makes the remake look flat, cheap, not mesh well. The dreadful mobile UI and font choice do the rest and pretty much ruin the original, timeless aesthetic.

Those are pretty terrific PS1-era sprite renditions of the characters.

Honestly, the mobile games have so much love put into them to get the entire franchise into a coherent aesthetic.

Brave Exvius is a good one.

A more classic example is Record Keeper. All the 3D entries re-done in FF6-style pixel art, and bosses touched up to be faux-animated with pixel art. (Think like how Rare games animated, except on a much more condensed pixel format)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFmQPc6OI2Q
Pixellated Tidus, Cloud, Vivi, Yuna, Wakka fighting pixellated Seymour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4E0f1BmJa8#t=1m06s
Dark Bahamut casting Mega Flare

It's a huge shame that the "go to" versions of 1-6 are in completely different presentations, alternating between 2D and 3D and having some questionable direction in V and VI, while mobile spin-offs manage to consolidate styles.

Yeah, the mobile games have the advantage of being on a tiny display, but even so I think the art direction is a lot more consistent than the mobile versions of the mainline entries. (Nomura is credited as art director of Record Keeper btw)

Paltheos

SxEfB8k.gif

ZE6ZI7d.gif

Gorgeous.

I've been working on upscaling the original SNES sprites so that they can be modded into the game if people prefer them. Now that the bilinear filter has been patched out, I'm finding myself liking the new sprites more than I thought I would.

Nxyo's on a roll though - he's been able to successfully perform a sprite replacement that's recognized in-game.

CXBs6GrUEAEh3wV.png

(via Twitter)

That whole sprite sheet is awesome, damn:

70091.png

And yes, Exvius looks gorgeous. Hopefully they'll release it in the west soon, Record Keeper seems successful enough.

Falk

that puzzling face
And yes, Exvius looks gorgeous. Hopefully they'll release it in the west soon, Record Keeper seems successful enough.

My personal hypothesis is it's one of timing. Exvius released almost exactly a year after RK in Japan, when churn really started taking its toll. I feel like it's going to be the same blueprint for Global either by time (1 year anniversary of RK Global) or business plan (significant numbers of people stop playing RK)

jett

D-Member
I've been working on upscaling the original SNES sprites so that they can be modded into the game if people prefer them. Now that the bilinear filter has been patched out, I'm finding myself liking the new sprites more than I thought I would.

Nxyo's on a roll though - he's been able to successfully perform a sprite replacement that's recognized in-game.

CXBs6GrUEAEh3wV.png

(via Twitter)

The resolution is still wonky tho, the pixels aren't perfect squares. If that can't be fixed, then I can see why Squeenix opted for billinear filtering.

SxEfB8k.gif

ZE6ZI7d.gif

Holy Shit

Guessing no current NA release plans?

I feel sad every time I'm playing Record Keeper and you can see screenshots of these ugly sprites as part of the backdrop, while they've got great looking sprites right there in RK.

Why not use those?

Falk

that puzzling face
I feel sad every time I'm playing Record Keeper and you can see screenshots of these ugly sprites as part of the backdrop, while they've got great looking sprites right there in RK.

Why not use those?

They've never used FF6 iOS art have they?

I know some events used FF5 iOS, but I recall FF6 being pretty much SNES sprites.

Might as well do a quick linking of all the other character sprites here:
unit_ills_206000103.png
unit_ills_206000203.png
unit_ills_206001803.png

unit_ills_206000403.png
unit_ills_206000503.png
unit_ills_206000303.png

unit_ills_206000603.png
unit_ills_206001704.png

HOLY SHIT

These are gorgeous

This is how they should have been done man.

EDIT: On second thought though.. after watching the video. Still love them but clearly some are better than others. The Celes one is next level shit

Dunkley

Ew about that SweetFX preset. I'd rather play the blurry version rather than filtering it more and covering the whole output with sharpening halos.

Here's a more recent and higher quality bilinear filter removal patch by Nyxo from the Steam discussion and posted here by jshackles:

https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilt....com/u/38150185/FFVI/FFVI_Defilter_903963.zip

But above playing the blurry original, I prefer this one the most for legit removing the filtering instead of just sharpening the image.

Honestly, the mobile games have so much love put into them to get the entire franchise into a coherent aesthetic.

Brave Exvius is a good one.

A more classic example is Record Keeper. All the 3D entries re-done in FF6-style pixel art, and bosses touched up to be faux-animated with pixel art. (Think like how Rare games animated, except on a much more condensed pixel format)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFmQPc6OI2Q
Pixellated Tidus, Cloud, Vivi, Yuna, Wakka fighting pixellated Seymour.

Man, that looks fun, I really have to make time to try more mobile games :(

That whole sprite sheet is awesome, damn:

70091.png

Beautiful!

Man, that looks fun, I really have to make time to try more mobile games :(

Beautiful!

Yeah that sprite sheet is also an improvement (Though some of them make her look too tall beefy and built out lol)

Not perfect but leaps and bounds better when it comes to detail

I think trying to update the Original sprites was the first mistake since they worked in SNES (because imagination) but dont in HD

Should have completely REMADE the game

Hell the 3D models in Dissidia are pretty great IMHO

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Holy Shit

Guessing no current NA release plans?

Both Brave Frontier (Alim's previous game) and Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (the most similar game Final Fantasy mobile game) made it over, so odds are pretty good it shows up at some point.

Brave Frontier was also one of the most successful Japanese mobile games in the West.

But no, currently there are no announced plans.

Both Brave Frontier (Alim's previous game) and Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (the most similar game Final Fantasy mobile game) made it over, so odds are pretty good it shows up at some point.

Brave Frontier was also one of the most successful Japanese mobile games in the West.

But no, currently there are no announced plans.

Someone just needs to rip those sprites and animations and plug them into the MOD lol

not that its even possible XD

Yeah, between animation frames and actual pose set I don't think it's viable.

I am pumped that the Steam Version exists.

Modders on PC can work some serious magic

Maybe they can completely remake FF6 before Nomura finally gets around to it

FF6 has been deserving of some serious love for a long time and SE keeps dropping the ball

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, between animation frames and actual pose set I don't think it's viable.
Yeah, it's not like Record Keeper where they were trying to mimic the old style. The animations even go across the screen on top of the myriad of other incompatibilities.

RCOTM34.gif

9ptExOB.gif

TdsbXYC.gif

Visceir

It's not like they'd have to take ALL of the crazy special move animations. Each of the characters has a regular attack and cast animation, win pose and near-death pose -- that's pretty much all you need.

Obviously I'm rather clueless in regards to how difficult it'd be to make those sprites fit and use them as replacement though...or how janky it would end up looking.

It's not like they'd have to take ALL of the crazy special move animations. Each of the characters has a regular attack and cast animation, win pose and near-death pose -- that's pretty much all you need.

Obviously I'm rather clueless in regards to how difficult it'd be to make those sprites fit and use them as replacement though...or how janky it would end up looking.

Well just look at the sprite sheets from some of the other posts

you would need an artist to painstakingly translate everything over and even start from scratch on certain characters

Remaking FF6 would be no small feat

SxEfB8k.gif

ZE6ZI7d.gif

I said DAMN

OmegaDL50

Please let us know when there is a mod to turn off XP gain (but keep AP). With all the talk about graphics, my biggest issue with having played the game many times is how easy it is. Rather than a tedious actual low level playthrough, or fan-made artificial hard patches which are full of opinionated arbitrary choices, in my recent playthroughs I much prefer just using gameshark codes to turn off XP and leveling up when I feel I need to. I'm looking for a simple XP on/off toggle for this game. I want to play this version because I can actually use Cyan in my main 12.

This actually doesn't help because at certain points in the game, your characters levels are automatically scaled to a nearest neighbor and are effectively averaged among your party members. Of course having lower levels helps against this, but turning exp off won't avoid the leveling up when the averaging hits when a higher level character joins your party.

This happens at three points in the game.

When you get the airship which averages everyone.
After the banquet based on your current party members
After the Thamasa arc when you first start the World of Ruin.

Level re-averaging is based on the characters in your party at the time. If Gau's on the Veldt, he won't be counted. When starting the WoR, Celes is your only character, so the next character's level is based on hers only. Also, the re-averaged level isn't exactly the average; it's the average +/- a number, the number being dependent on the character (for example, Mog is +5, so he'll join at party average +5)

This works to your benefit doing low level runs sort of, since the averaging kicks in and calculates your highest leveled party member and your lowest and their levels are adjusted automatically into an average without actually needing to battle.

For example having a team of Terra, Sabin, Locke, and Edgar as low as possible actually benefits later on because when the averaging hits.

Also stat gains are minimal for leveling up. You get HP and MP increases, but main stats such as STR, MAG, M.DEF and so forth actually don't improve via level gains. Most stat boosts in FFVI are mainly derived from Espers and the stat bonuses they provide as a level up bonus, as well as equipment.

Using Terra for example

Her base stats at very beginning of the game are as follows

STR 31
SPD 33
STM 28
MAG 39

Terra at level 70 with no armor equipped or any esper bonuses also has the same stats.

The only stats that naturally improve without equipment or Esper bonuses is HP and MP, so preventing level ups won't change anything statististical in the sense of being overpowered since that mainly stems from actual equipment and bonus stat gains via Espers.

My personal hypothesis is it's one of timing. Exvius released almost exactly a year after RK in Japan, when churn really started taking its toll. I feel like it's going to be the same blueprint for Global either by time (1 year anniversary of RK Global) or business plan (significant numbers of people stop playing RK)

That makes a lot of sense, as Exvius has pretty much the same niche as RK and would be competing directly against it. No sense in killing RK while it's still profitable.

Falk

that puzzling face
Why is there a missing column down the middle? Why are her eyes so close together?

IT'S NOT EXACTLY AS I REMEMBER IT I'M GOING TO GO COMPLAIN ON GAF ABOUT IT

pretty cool

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

SxEfB8k.gif

ZE6ZI7d.gif

Should have done remakes in pixel sprites a long time ago. But they won't.

Falk

that puzzling face
Doesnt look as bad when zoomed out in the quotes lol

Cmon man

This is true of everything. It's also probably how the iOS ports got the greenlight as-is, since most people (in Japan) would be playing on their iPhone on the way to work, etc.

Top Bottom