• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI rated for PC by PEGI

Corpekata

Banned
Link

Not terribly surprising, seems to be more or less just a matter of time when it comes to the mobile ports hitting Steam.

With Lightning Returns hitting shortly, seems like this is likely to be a later December or January release.

Yay !
Now if only more of their iOS catalog came... I'm looking at you Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, TWEWY and FF Tactics...

I hope this means that Final Fantasy Tactics will also hit Steam at some point.

Isn't there a mobile port of that? I swear there was.

I was just wondering since if V and IV are any indication then yeah, this'll probably based on that version of VI.

With this, the only ones missing from steam are 9 and the PS2 games right?

FFI and II aren't on there either, unless I'm not up to speed. But yeah, this definitely bridges the gap a bit more.

Yeah but I want to play it on PC

Ah yeah, sorry, that was a lead-in to the second part of my post. I was wondering if they'd base the PC version on the mobile port rather than the PS1 or even PSP versions, and just asking to confirm if there even was one to begin with. ^^

Innsmouth

Neo Member
9, 10 and 12 will never be on PC, but Tactics, CT, VI and TWETY most certainly could be as they have all been ported outside of Playstation.

Squire

Banned
Was that port really that bad? I know the older visuals probably look nicer, but would it still be playable and enjoyable to someone who never played 6 before?

I played a little of it on my phone during the summer and it's perfectly fine. I have no nostalgia for FFVI, but I do really want to play it. I've been waiting on a PC port.

By the way, this has the potential to be the definitive version. First of all, Font is easily replacable. And people already managed to extract FFV sprites. All you need now is someone to work on them.

Hikami

-shrug- I'd be okay with the mobile port.
Already have it on android and I was enjoying it but couldn't finish it since it overheated my crappy phone too quickly and the touch screen movement got annoying.

Dezner

6 has always been my fave! :eek:

I didn't keep up on the mobile release, though. :( Any cool differences or additions at all?

I would, because they have never been outside of a Sony console. All the other ports have been.

I wouldn't be surprised if the inevitable XII HD is for both PS4 and PC, with the X/X-2 remaster being ported within the same timeframe. PS4/PC has become a big thing lately, especially for RPGs, and Sony doesn't seem to have a problem with Street Fighter V being released that way.

IX is the only really tricky one since it was only ever released on the PS1 which would probably need more rejiggering than the other games which have all been on more port-friendly consoles.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I would, because they have never been outside of a Sony console. All the other ports have been.

So...? Cloud is a "Sony character". The PS4 is now running SNES games. The Xbox One is running NES games.

Unless an IP outright belongs to one of the platform holders, then you can't just rule out its appearance in another platform down the line.

Tizoc

PEGI uses the term 'Release date' to state the date upon which they release the rating.
It is NOT necessarily the game's release date

Might want to add that to the OP :V

Glass Rebel

FFVI mobile looks pretty damn ugly but it's something. I don't understand why FF Tactics, by far their best mobile port, isn't on Steam yet though.

Going to have to ask for an explanation as to its' irrelevance.

You better come up with a convincing reason why it is relevant first.

I wouldn't be surprised if the inevitable XII HD is for both PS4 and PC, with the X/X-2 remaster being ported within the same timeframe. PS4/PC has become a big thing lately, especially for RPGs, and Sony doesn't seem to have a problem with Street Fighter V being released that way.

IX is the only really tricky one since it was only ever released on the PS1 which would probably need more rejiggering than the other games which have all been on more port-friendly consoles.

Knowing Square Enix, it'll be PS4 only and maybe PC down the line. SE doesnt really consider PC, which is a mistake.

Sad that it'll be the mobile version, would be amazing if modders mod in the old sprites

Either way I'm buying it, I need to finally play FF6 dagnabbit

Knowing Square Enix, it'll be PS4 only and maybe PC down the line. SE doesnt really consider PC, which is a mistake.

I think in recent times they're starting to catch onto the PC train. Dragon Quest Heroes is getting a port out of nowhere next week which is a good step in the right direction.

PC down the line would make sense too, though. I think it'll happen at some point if not immediately.

I think in recent times they're starting to catch onto the PC train. Dragon Quest Heroes is getting a port out of nowhere next week which is a good step in the right direction.

PC down the line would make sense too, though. I think it'll happen at some point if not immediately.

I think its more related to the fact thats its a KT developped game than anything else.

Cool, I've been meaning to try this version. Already been through countless times on SNES, PS1, and GBA so another version won't hurt. I'm looking forward to the changes....both good and bad.

Tizoc

^There is no IF
It IS coming
We just don't have a release date

OK someone needs to blackmail some Atlus JP heads to get Shin megami Tensei 1 onto Steam, if we're getting this silliness, we may as well get SMT1 already.

people expected otherwise?

Regardless, it's not bad.

Gameplay wise yeah, but those atrocious sprites...

Call us when mods swap it out for the good SNES sprites and we'll pick it up.

Too bad it's probably the mobile port

Then again, I think its a good thing in that case, because even if the mobile ports are kinda bad... they're also really easy to mod. From font to graphics. Its litterally a dat file to convert into a PNG then convert back to DAT to mod the sprites. There's room for redrawn sprites or SNES sprites.

Tizoc

Then again, I think its a good thing in that case, because even if the mobile ports are kinda bad... they're also really easy to mod. From font to graphics. Its litterally a dat file to convert into a PNG then convert back to DAT to mod the sprites. There's room for redrawn sprites or SNES sprites.

Has this been done to FF5 yet?

Intru

Was that port really that bad? I know the older visuals probably look nicer, but would it still be playable and enjoyable to someone who never played 6 before?

It's the best version of the game, except for the sprites. Some people can't stand them... They aren't that bad though.

Oh man, I can't wait to see the looks on people's faces when they realize that the SNES sprites are going to look like arse at HD resolutions unless some serious CRT-esque post-processing gets slapped on.

RM8

Oh man, I can't wait to see the looks on people's faces when they realize that the SNES sprites are going to look like arse at HD resolutions unless some serious CRT-esque post-processing gets slapped on.
Nah, some people are okay with pixels.

I played the whole thing on mobile.

Besides a couple of sections where you can get "caught" trying to cross bridges, it played fine, held up brilliantly and looked good on a mobile screen.

Before somebody gets excited, yet it looks shit in screenshots, but on a small mobile screen? It looks pretty darn good.

So yeah, it'll look shit on a PC, but buy it on your phone.

FFVI mobile looks pretty damn ugly but it's something. I don't understand why FF Tactics, by far their best mobile port, isn't on Steam yet though.

Yeah, it definitely is kind of annoying that out of all of their mobile to PC ports they haven't shown any interest in bringing over Tactics to PC. They are probably trying to find a way to bring it over to PC but also make it fucked up in some way.

Haunted

I think the sprites look really bad and the fonts are an insult to the aesthetics of the original.

If you can, play the SNES original or the GBA port. Use an emulator if you have to. It's preferable to the mobile port.

2JWZ3Ix.jpg

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to play this game, but I don't really like the look of the mobile version. There's a lot of talking about mods in this thread, though. What are the chances that this version actually becomes the definitive version via mods? My other option is to play it via Wii VC through my Wii U.

Tizoc

Yes, except that no one took the effort for now to mod it. To be honest its pretty recent too. I think it was done this month ?
At least, they've changed the portraits. As for font, you can do it yourself.

Gonna look this up, thanks for the info.
EDIT: I find nothing about FF5 being modded with original sprites :/

Top Bottom