• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII PC re-release. SE Store Exclusive - Out now, Internet required

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GAME-BREAKING BUG!

I got to this part:

k3ElI.png

But I can't get the text to disappear to time is running and I can't do anything about it (I can't control the train or anything at all). Glad I saved. You should do too.

Terra_Ex

I vaguely recall that the text remains on screen during that mini game while you press circle & down/up. Been more than a decade tho so could be wrong.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I vaguely recall that the text remains on screen during that mini game while you press circle & down/up. Been more than a decade tho so could be wrong.
Yup, but I tried pressing everything. Nothing :( Let's see if it happens again...

edit: YAY! It worked this time :D

sueil

Is there a mod to use the Yamaha midi music from the original pc release? After listening to some of the clips on youtube I liked it a lot. Sounds better than the ps1 version.

Yoshichan

For those who were worried about the Fort Condor battle-music... I can safely say that it sounds amazing in this version (imo, of course)! :3

Coal

I wish someone would fix the music in the FFVIII PC version. I recently installed this and the music is just TERRIBLE.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Can someone put the new PC version of Oppressed People on YouTube, please? It's one of my favourite songs from the soundtrack.

sueil

Nice had my first freeze up. Went to rest in Aeris home after grinding a bit and the game got stuck in a black screen with the sleep music repeating over and over.

Can anyone confirm or deny whether mods work with this version?

Most of them are broken for now. Some can be fixed because it's just a problem with install directories being shifted around, but apparently the new version switched away from openGL and is rendering via DirectX, which breaks the drivers and plugins a lot of these mods use.

Toth

Most of them are broken for now. Some can be fixed because it's just a problem with install directories being shifted around, but apparently the new version switched away from openGL and is rendering via DirectX, which breaks the drivers and plugins a lot of these mods use.

Yeah, a few are working but the authors may need to shift a few things around. I say in about a week they should be mostly working.

Yeah, a few are working but the authors may need to shift a few things around. I say in about a week they should be mostly working.

I doubt they update/replace Aali's OpenGL driver that soon. Some of these mods will probably never work on the new version because their makers aren't active anymore or won't bother updating them.

Toth

I doubt they update/replace Aali's driver that soon. Some of these mods will probably never work on the new version because their makers aren't active anymore or won't bother updating them.

As someone not really into modding, what does the driver mean here?

Yoshichan

Time for Wutai :3!

Yoshichan

Yay... Windows Update just restarted my computer without warning, which resulted in me losing 45 minutes of progress in the game.

Not fun.

sueil

My game seems to be totally bugged. Whenever I sleep someplace like in an inn the game will just go to a black screen and play the sleep music over and over. Does SE at least have good support?

E: seems to be related to the replaced music. Restoring the vanilla music got rid of the problem.

I'm trying to buy the game from the site, but it looks like you need to set up a Square Enix account to purchase. I create the account, but it never sends me the confirmation email. It's been an hour or two; am I impatient! Is their server just slammed?

Kalnos

Banned
I'm trying to buy the game from the site, but it looks like you need to set up a Square Enix account to purchase. I create the account, but it never sends me the confirmation email. It's been an hour or two; am I impatient! Is their server just slammed?

It was in my junk/spam. Check there.

Muskweeto

Try your spam filter, that's where I found mine.

Edit: Drats, beaten.

Whogie

Thanks for that, it mostly works really well so far, but the game gets stuck in an infinite loop in the Wall Market inn (and I assume at other inns too). Going back to the original yado.ogg fixes it.

Shit you're right. Oh well, that's why I titled it "potential" fix.
Removing the LOOPSTART tag fixed that -.- (with a program called Mp3tag)
I tested leaving LOOPSTART on fanfare.ogg (battle victory) so I thought it wouldn't do something like that.

Guess I'll double check some files.
I'll make a new patch and be more conservative with which I add LOOPSTART to.

Muskweeto

Shit you're right. Oh well, that's why I titled it "potential" fix.
Removing the LOOPSTART tag fixed that -.- (with a program called Mp3tag)
I tested leaving LOOPSTART on fanfare.ogg (battle victory) so I thought it wouldn't do something like that.

Guess I'll double check some files.
I've been using the files posted before you tried fixing them, I'm at the Chocobo farm and the only song that has messed up is the bombing mission one.

I remember someone saying the boss music would also mess up but that didn't happen to me.

Has anyone been having problems with other songs? They might not all have to be messed with.

Whogie

Okay, so it may just be that one.

I just went through, and here are all the files that don't have LOOPSTART anywhere in them (original patch):
cannon
fanfare
fin
jyro
oa
ob (Bomb run)
over2
riku
ro
roll
si
tb
walz
yado (Absoultely shouldn't have LOOPSTART)

Of all of those, only oa and ob sound like full songs. Most of them are very hard to place though. I'm going to check them against the metatags of the originals.

hlhbk

So I dug out my 1998 copy of the game and spent the last 4 hours downloading mods and holy crap it looks and sounds amazing. I bought the new version of the game and there is just no comparison. You can also bump the resolution up as high as the new release if it is modded. Unless this new copy can be modded stay away anyone on the fence!!!

Yoshichan

Submarine-time :D

TheExodu5

Banned
For the sake of comparison. Thanks for putting them up, btw!

Final Fantasy VII PC 1998 - Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VII PC 1998 - Farm Boy

Final Fantasy VII PC 1998 - Jenova Absolute

Final Fantasy VII PC 1998 - Birth of a God

(Sorta don't like the mixing much in the 2012 ones. Sometimes the backing has too much prominence in the mixing.)

Some of the original PC renditions are pretty damned great. Jenova Absolute sounds fantastic. Significantly better than the PSX version.

Muskweeto

Some of the original PC renditions are pretty damned great. Jenova Absolute sounds fantastic. Significantly better than the PSX version.

The original PC music was really good except for a few songs.

It's too bad they couldn't have made those into .ogg files, then I would probably mix it with some of the psx music .ogg files.

Okay, after comparing to the original OGGs and stuff, it seems that ob.ogg may be the only problematic file.

Here's a new version of the PSX music: http://www.gamefront.com/files/22135087/Fixed+FF7+Fixed+Music+v2.zip
Hopefully this is the one. It's just the original with only oa.ogg and ob.ogg edited.
Sorry about that mixup.

ut4Xe.jpg

Cool, thanks for aiding in finding the real problem, you have nothing to apologize for.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's amazing that they fixed it. No Zenogias?
iirc, the PC version fixed some of the bad dialogue from the PSX version. I can't recall encountering a lot of weird sentences until I'd played the PS1 version.

They also censored "shit" in the PC version, while the PS1 version left that as-is.

antitrop

iirc, the PC version fixed some of the bad dialogue from the PSX version. I can't recall encountering a lot of weird sentences until I'd played the PS1 version.

They also censored "shit" in the PC version, while the PS1 version left that as-is.
The PS1 had an identity crisis with the censoring, sometimes it would say shit and sometimes it would say #$*& as usual.

antitrop

I kind of took the #$*& censoring when it wasn't "shit" to mean "fuck".

Edit: Meh, I can't remember much anyway.
There are definitely some censored words in there that wouldn't make sense as "fuck", but I always took it as a generic swear word, just for emphasis without actually being meant as a specific profanity.

Whogie

Someone mentioned elsewhere that one of the AVIs that was censored in the last PC build is no longer censored.

Cool, thanks for aiding in finding the real problem, you have nothing to apologize for.

^_^ Thanks. Regardless, I sent PMs to those I know downloaded the bad patch.

b3b0p

It sounds like the 2 best ways to play this still are:

1. Pulling out my Playstation and Final Fantasy VII discs.
or
2. Ripping my Final Fantasy VII discs and playing on my PSP.

If this was on Steam, I'd probably buy it for $9.99 just to play without issues on a PC with a keyboard and mouse (depending on how well that even works).

Do you have to be online to play this?

antitrop

Someone mentioned elsewhere that one of the AVIs that was censored in the last PC build is no longer censored.

^_^ Thanks. Regardless, I sent PMs to those I know downloaded the bad patch.
The idea of language censorship in a 2012 release seems absurd, we've been past that since early 2000's.

Top Bottom