• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake director says fans will have to wait for Part 2 for full use of PS5, Naoki Hamaguchi will also take over as director

peronmls

What exactly was so substantive about KH2’s writing?

You don’t have to literally write something down to be part of the writing team.
I didn't say the substance of the writing. Substance of the game as a whole.

He still didn't write jack shit. He got the papers and looked at them and said, "Yes". I bet you follow producers in movies and think they actually have a part in the making of said movie. You do not get the positions these people are in. Sure he was part of the team but he didn't write anything. That's what happens when you move up. You move up to stop writing, do less work and be the boring approval guy. He did not write KH3 and KH3 is 1/3 of a KH game.

Silvawuff

I look forward to finally being able to play the full remake in 2030 on the PS7 after the series goes through 4 directors and 2 more battle systems. Until then, this game is unfinished and not worth the time versus playing the classic and getting an actual finished narrative.
We'll still be trying to get a PS5 around then.

reksveks

Loved the original, got it on PC, got my shitty and battered PS1 copy, got it on PS3 and that cool theme then got it on Switch and then I really enjoyed FF7 Remake, all of the modernisation basically worked. Yes, there are some chapters where the side missions are a bit tedious however the main story and the combat was compelling.

You kinda have to play on hard mode to get the combat.

MeteorVII

I mean, yeah, but not by much. The worlds in KH3 are still at least 3x longer, more open and larger in scale than in KH2. Not to mention more fun.

We’re missing FF bosses and colloseum stuff, but everything else was substantive.

He still didn't write jack shit. He got the papers and looked at them and said, "Yes". I bet you follow producers in movies and think they actually have a part in the making of said movie.
Producers can have nothing to do with a movie, or they could have EVERYTHING to do with a movie, so that’s a pretty bad example.

You do not get the positions these people are in. Sure he was part of the team but he didn't write anything. That's what happens when you move up. You move up to stop writing, do less work and be the boring approval guy. He did not write KH3 and KH3 is 1/3 of a KH game.
How is KH3 “1/3 of a KH Game”?

And no, he’s not just the approval guy. This has been factually proven false, so stop making yourself look stupid.

peronmls

I mean, yeah, but not by much. The worlds in KH3 are still at least 3x longer, more open and larger in scale than in KH2. Not to mention more fun.

We’re missing FF bosses and colloseum stuff, but everything else was substantive.

Producers can have nothing to do with a movie, or they could have EVERYTHING to do with a movie, so that’s a pretty bad example.

How is KH3 “1/3 of a KH Game”?

And no, he’s not just the approval guy. This has been factually proven false, so stop making yourself look stupid.
You are a cutie. Yes, he is the approval guy and hardly had anything to do with 3. Have a nice day.

MeteorVII

You are litterally just saying shit with no citation or backing. I'm done arguing with a KH fanboi. That's embarrassing enough on public forums.
I don’t need to cite anything. The citation has already been there since OP’s post.

You’re the one with the counter claims that weren’t substantiated by any evidence. That burden was on you my guy.

peronmls

I don’t need to cite anything. The citation has already been there since OP’s post.

You’re the one with the counter claims that weren’t substantiated by any evidence. That burden was on you my guy.
There is no mention of Nojima in OP's post or the posted link. Stop pulling shit out your ass and bloating the thread. You offer no real discussion.

MeteorVII

There is no mention of Nojima in OP's post or the posted link. Stop pulling shit out your ass and bloating the thread. You offer no real discussion.
That’s not what I was talking about, but it’s okay, you can be wrong and stupid about that as well:

“As far as the meaning of managing goes, Oka is the one with that position, but we also had Nojima (Kazushige Nojima) as a supervisor, so I would ask for drafts for the last battle to ending, or consult with him about parts that were troubling me. We also had a coordinator that worked on proofreading to make sure there wasn’t any plot holes in the scenario that got increasingly more complicated by the end of development, so there were four of us.”

SoraNoKuni

I can't understand the hate for nomura, it's been discussed that his versus xiii team was working on several other projects and that it was a company problem and not Nomura's, Tabata took over and murdered the game.

KH like it or not is a really big franchise with a huge fan base, FFVIIR was a success and TWEWY even is getting a sequel.
Literally Nomura is the heart of SE right now whether you like it or not.

MeteorVII

I can't understand the hate for nomura, it's been discussed that his versus xiii team was working on several other projects and that it was a company problem and not Nomura's, Tabata took over and murdered the game.
- over 8 million copies sold, making it the 3rd best selling FF game of all time.

- 85% critical acclaim and overall positive fan reception for a game over 10 years in anticipation.

Yeah... he sure “murdered” that game, all right...

peronmls

That’s not what I was talking about, but it’s okay, you can be wrong and stupid about that as well:

“As far as the meaning of managing goes, Oka is the one with that position, but we also had Nojima (Kazushige Nojima) as a supervisor, so I would ask for drafts for the last battle to ending, or consult with him about parts that were troubling me. We also had a coordinator that worked on proofreading to make sure there wasn’t any plot holes in the scenario that got increasingly more complicated by the end of development, so there were four of us.”
That's not what I'm talking about. Writing up ideas for Nomura the writer isn't the same as Nojima writing scenarios. The way he said it also made it sounds like Nojima as an after thought for when he got "stuck". FF and KH games are over hyped and mismanaged.

Last edited:

peronmls

Shut up. No one cares. You’re delusional and just further embarrassing yourself more and more.

Just accept that you were wrong and move on.
I'm not wrong. Nojima didn't write KH3, cutie pie. Go to Resetera if you wanna throw tantrums and end discussions like a man-child.

Areiz

Banned
I'm curious to know their full plan for the release of all the ff7 Remake games that they have intention to do. Because frankly I don't see how that they can finish the base story of the first final fantasy 7 in time for the end of this generation. Bringing them to the conclusion to split the project on 3 generation of consoles, ps4, ps5 and ps6.

EDMIX

Giphy-Merda.gif

Giphy-Shit.gif

I mean....we don't even know how much of the remake has already been decided and designed by him, for all we know the next director will simply oversee elements already put in place by Nomura......

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

He still didn't write jack shit. He got the papers and looked at them and said, "Yes". I bet you follow producers in movies and think they actually have a part in the making of said movie. You do not get the positions these people are in. Sure he was part of the team but he didn't write anything. That's what happens when you move up. You move up to stop writing, do less work and be the boring approval guy. He did not write KH3 and KH3 is 1/3 of a KH game.

You act like you were in the studio when this all went down, instead of the reality being you are pulling shit from your arse.

peronmls

You act like you were in the studio when this all went down, instead of the reality being you are pulling shit from your arse.
Read the credits and interviews and use your brain. That's how supervisors work. He just looks at what people are writing. It's obvious he didnt write anything.

Last edited:

Boneless

FFVIIR has some illogical choices. It should've been pretty obvious that the changes they made to the story would make it worse, not better. Which is not surprising, since FF7 original has a pretty much legendary story, it would be incredibly hard to change it and make it better than what is was. Changing it, instead of just expanding and fleshing out the story, is therefore a very strange choice, and I would be happy the director involved in that is gone.

Ixion

FFVIIR has some illogical choices. It should've been pretty obvious that the changes they made to the story would make it worse, not better. Which is not surprising, since FF7 original has a pretty much legendary story, it would be incredibly hard to change it and make it better than what is was. Changing it, instead of just expanding and fleshing out the story, is therefore a very strange choice, and I would be happy the director involved in that is gone.

The changes they made allow for the universe to expand in this remake series, both with new stuff and the FF7 Compilation stuff, while at the same time it's a clever way to still have the series largely stick to the same overall narrative beats. Also, the changes simply made for an incredibly epic final chapter in terms of pure spectacle. In fact, it was Hamaguchi who wanted the Sephiroth fight at the end of the game.

So there are definitely some clear positives for the direction they're going in. It gives the creators a higher ceiling of potential going forward and allows them to surprise their audience, which I think makes things more appealing for them as creators. The long-term reception of Part 1's ending will largely hinge on how that new direction blossoms throughout the rest of the series.

Last edited:

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Some of the choices were for the better. The chapter with the Avalanche crew, for example. Or the extra time spent with party characters, which contributed to really good character development overall.

Other ideas were interesting in a vaccuum but not really well integrated into the story, like the ghosts subplot in Train Graveyard, which was anti-climatic given the context. That is more a consequence of the original game's plot in Midgar being really tight, so adding new stuff into it was bound to not always succeed. I don't expect this to be a problem in future parts, though, because the original story has a much looser narrative after Midgar.

I think the additions that really hurted the story the most were the whispers (that was totally Nomura's idea, btw. He himself said so in interviews). The whispers exist specifically for the last chapter, and were kind of tacked on for most of the game to remind us that "hey, they exist and will be important sometime later!" Their importance in the story and for the future of this project is clever, but the execution felt rushed, as if the writers had decided to add them late into development.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Dude has made amazing games! KH1,2, FF7R are universally acclaimed games, and FFXV (half him) and KH3 are solid too
the heart of Kingdom Hearts was always the Disney worlds and the original characters imo, not that FF doesn't count but it was never supposed to be 50/50 as some fanboys think. Nomura understands that and thats why you don't even visit Final Fantasy worlds in Kingdom Hearts.

Andodalf

Banned
the heart of Kingdom Hearts was always the Disney worlds and the original characters imo, not that FF doesn't count but it was never supposed to be 50/50 as some fanboys think. Nomura understands that and thats why you don't even visit Final Fantasy worlds in Kingdom Hearts.

You’re 100% right.

358/2 being the best also confirms this. Some folks In this thread haven’t played it and it shows!

Boneless

Some of the choices were for the better. The chapter with the Avalanche crew, for example. Or the extra time spent with party characters, which contributed to really good character development overall.

Other ideas were interesting in a vaccuum but not really well integrated into the story, like the ghosts subplot in Train Graveyard, which was anti-climatic given the context. That is more a consequence of the original game's plot in Midgar being really tight, so adding new stuff into it was bound to not always succeed. I don't expect this to be a problem in future parts, though, because the original story has a much looser narrative after Midgar.

I think the additions that really hurted the story the most were the whispers (that was totally Nomura's idea, btw. He himself said so in interviews). The whispers exist specifically for the last chapter, and were kind of tacked on for most of the game to remind us that "hey, they exist and will be important sometime later!" Their importance in the story and for the future of this project is clever, but the execution felt rushed, as if the writers had decided to add them late into development.
As said, no complaints about fleshing out the story, but I do have complaints about changing it. Mainly, the arbiters of faith, and how this changed a lot of essential things.

Boneless

The changes they made allow for the universe to expand in this remake series, both with new stuff and the FF7 Compilation stuff, while at the same time it's a clever way to still have the series largely stick to the same overall narrative beats. Also, the changes simply made for an incredibly epic final chapter in terms of pure spectacle. In fact, it was Hamaguchi who wanted the Sephiroth fight at the end of the game.

So there are definitely some clear positives for the direction they're going in. It gives the creators a higher ceiling of potential going forward and allows them to surprise their audience, which I think makes things more appealing for them as creators. The long-term reception of Part 1's ending will largely hinge on how that new direction blossoms throughout the rest of the series.

If you think that final fight was epic, we simply have very different tastes. At least we already killed the king of alles whispers at the end, or whatever that thing was... wait.. what was all that bullshit?

Arkam

Just tell me they are targeting a 2022 release of Part 2. Part 1 was already pretty enough on PS4Pro so beyond resolution and some texture streaming I think we are fine on that front.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
That makes sense. I dont like it.... but it makes too much damn sense. I am going to have forgotten so much by the time it arrives.
Yeah, SE has been releasing one large title a year, and heavily marketing them one year in advance.

As new info for 16 is planned for this year, it'll likely be out in the next.

Top Bottom