• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade PC on RTX 3090

Fredrik

5 hours after picking it up on release day I was a believer. No other RPG has a combat system like this, it’s leagues better than anything else. it makes FF15 impossible to play in comparison.
I don’t know I’m way past that point and I still don’t understand the appeal of the combat. To me it feels like it’s incredibly dumbed down strategically compared to the original, it’s just too frantic to get a good idea on what’s going on to make strategic choices, and the camera makes things harder than it should be. Usually I end up mashing at the nearest enemy, unleash a limit break or summon, heal a lot.
It sure is pretty though. Almost got me playing just to see the story unfold.

Last edited:
Mother Of God Omg GIF by Stranger Things

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
To me it feels like it’s incredibly dumbed down strategically compared to the original
Nope. Lots more depth in remake. You not only have the strategy of gear/ability/party composition, but also the added strategy of timing/positioning/resource management.

it’s just too frantic to get a good idea on what’s going on to make strategic choices
That's why time slows down when you're in the action menu. Use that time to think through your choices and admire the beautiful graphics.

Usually I end up mashing at the nearest enemy
That's your mistake. If you're going to do that, just play on easy mode. If you can't figure it out yourself, watch a combat guide.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
This game doesn't belong to a genre famous for its combat mechanics. As a final fantasy game(or a jrpg), it has a decent and enjoyable fighting system. But it doesn't change the fact that it's a boring game with a boring plot and lots of boring cutscenes. I couldn't go on after some point mid game. It was blurry as hell on ps4pro too, and it was 30 fps i assume. It looks great on Pc.

Dream-Knife

Banned
It felt button mashy rather than something that would take some skill to beat.
That's pretty much how the game is. Spam attack to build the gauge, open up a menu that pauses the game to do an attack that actually does damage. Also your teammates gauge doesn't build up unless you quick switch to them and spam attack.

Miserable game. If you have a PS4 I'll give you my special edition if you pay shipping.

Fredrik

Nope. Lots more depth in remake. You not only have the strategy of gear/ability/party composition, but also the added strategy of timing/positioning/resource management.

That's why time slows down when you're in the action menu. Use that time to think through your choices and admire the beautiful graphics.

That's your mistake. If you're going to do that, just play on easy mode. If you can't figure it out yourself, watch a combat guide.
I went back to play for a bit. Couldn’t choose hard but tried all four difficulties/modes. It really doesn’t change the flow on the battles much at all imo, things still move along in a far too frantic pace and if there is strategy it’s well hidden in the chaotic action.

They could’ve done it so much better. Simple change, zoom out the camera for a more top-down view so you see everything happening around you. Can still zoom in, slow down and show off cool ability attacks in an awesome way, then zoom out again.

Don’t make the summons just go around like some other character, I want the big entry back and the beefy attacks, each attack should be a showcase moment.

At least in the classic mode they should make it turn based, no movement needed and pause completely when it’s your turn, each enemy attack should be well shown off, can zoom in to make it cool visually, go through each of your allies moves one by one before triggering the action, zoom in and show clearly the attacks and damage.

Keep the normal mode for those who want a janky fast paced action game.

Chukhopops

For me the combat is all about the flow, once you start getting some amazing materia you start chaining up everyone's abilities, its frantic but feels organized once you understand it. And the constantly shifting types of bosses make it so you cant rely on one set strategy (and if you do, once you get to the hell house you'll be in for a miserable time)

Player input in this GIF:

Aerith : 1 button
Cloud : 1 button (?)
Tifa : not sure if two or three buttons?

If you want a good action based JRPG you should play Tales of Arise instead.

Whitecrow

Banned
Player input in this GIF:

Aerith : 1 button
Cloud : 1 button (?)
Tifa : not sure if two or three buttons?

If you want a good action based JRPG you should play Tales of Arise instead.
You know why so few presses? Because the player learnt what he has to press.

To play Mario you just had to move and jump. Would you reduce the game to 'you just have to jump'?

Chukhopops

You know why so few presses? Because the player learnt what he has to press.

To play Mario you just had to move and jump. Would you reduce the game to 'you just have to jump'?
Mario is a very simple game mechanically, I think that’s generally agreed. The challenge comes from its level design and not from its controls or mechanics.

But in Mario, when you press jump you jump, you don’t do six backflips and throw fireballs. FFVIIR (and FFXV before it) just uses flashy animations to hide that it has very simple gameplay as others mentioned already.

Mister Wolf

Mario is a very simple game mechanically, I think that’s generally agreed. The challenge comes from its level design and not from its controls or mechanics.

But in Mario, when you press jump you jump, you don’t do six backflips and throw fireballs. FFVIIR (and FFXV before it) just uses flashy animations to hide that it has very simple gameplay as others mentioned already.

Same as Kingdom Hearts. All flash little substance.

Top Bottom