• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a multi-part series

jnWake

Well it'll certainly be a different experience from the original FFVII. Although I loved that game as a kid/teenager, I don't mind the route this is taking and the episodic stuff is kind of logical considering how big the game will be.

I'm still very interested in the outcome of this game.

Boke1879

While all of that sounds fantastic, it still doesn't vanish my worries about the world not being fully explorable like in the original. The episodic nature worries me in the sense that they might remove the overworld exploration in favor of a more linear progression style, by using only the important scenes in the game.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that new info, but I also want to know if I would be able to walk from Midgar to Kalm myself.

Yup and hopefully they are taking cues from FFXV with it's world map at least.

Quick stuff from interviews

-they made multi-release since they would have to cut stuff out if they made it in one game. The detail of the game will be so dense, and you will be able to go to various locations within Midgar that you couldn't go before.
-there will be some stuff that has to be cut, but there will be lots of stuff added. overall volume will be big
-They are working with various companies outside, including CC2
-The battle system is real-time, action feel. The degree of action will be "Dissidia > Kingdom Hearts> FF7 remake" It will be more tactical.
-Although it's action style, it has ATB as well.
-You can control other party members, but you can keep control one if you want
-3 party members at a time like the original

Thank you!

This sounds more promising now, especially since they're not working with just CC2

Why are you guys willing to pay so much for an episode that is a fraction of the game?
Am I missing something? Episodic games these days cost $5-$10 per episode, why do you guys think it will be $60? Is an episode expected to be as big as a full game, like FF15?
Pay so much? I have no idea what the number of parts it'll have, the amount of content, or price of said content would be to get worked up yet.

My one concern since the announcement was what all would get cut or streamlined in the remake. Because after rewatching the GT full playthrough the past 6 months I was reminded the game has a lot of random stuff just thrown in that game. Maybe this was the compromise they made to the higher brass of SE to get it made and not completely butchered. *shrug*

A rough translation of http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/173/1173362/

- About the details of splitting the game into episodes, please tell us more.

Kitase: From the beginning, we have considered it impossible to remake FF7 into one single game. Althought it's impossible to tell you the details about the splitting at the moment, please wait for our further announcement.

Nomura: If we tried to stuff the whole game into one release, some part of the game would have to appear as digests. We'd have to remove some contents from the game, and it would be difficult to add more to the game. Considering that a full remake of the original game must be achived, we have decided to split the game into episodes.

Kitase: Taking the No.8 street shown in the video this time, even just this is already highly dense. If we are to remake the content of the original version at that quality, it would have been impossible to do with a single release.

Splitting the original version into episode with nothing dropped, as well as adding complements, and remaking the game the game in its full volume is what we are thinking.

- How will the battle system look like?
Kitase: Unlike the encounter battles in the original version, we were aiming for a seamless active battle like shown in the video.

Nomura: Regarding the speed of the combat, as well as the sensation of tempo, we have considered something alongside Dissidia FF that you can play without stress. The degree of action would feel like Dissidia FF > KH > FF7 Remake.

We are trying to make a new action combat system that definitely demand no action technique, and let you consider your strategy during the combat.

- What would the elements in the battle system from the original version become?
Nomura: Since the game is based on FF7, elements like ATB gauge and limitbreak will appear but with new useage. Please wait for our further announcements on how they would evolve.

- Are you going to adjust the story in order to maintain connection to other compilations of the game, as well as adapting to the modern age?
Nomura: We are planning some mechanism to dig deeper into each episodes. Players who have played the original version surely would know everything from the beginning to the end of the game, including some very important moments. And we are planning to give even such users surprises.

Kitase: We are not going to remake a game so you only play for nostalgia. We want to make the hearts of the original fans pump. We are adjusting the storyline with this idea in mind.

True Fire

VIIr will probably have a season pass. I can't see them charging 60 dollars for each part. Nomura says that they want to avoid using subtitles, so it will probably be one retail disc.

komorebi

-they made multi-release since they would have to cut stuff out if they made it in one game. The detail of the game will be so dense, and you will be able to go to various locations within Midgar that you couldn't go before.
-there will be some stuff that has to be cut, but there will be lots of stuff added. overall volume will be big
-The battle system is real-time, action feel. The degree of action will be "Dissidia > Kingdom Hearts> FF7 remake" It will be more tactical.

Nice. I was freaked out at first but I think they know what they're doing. I never wanted a 1:1 carbon copy of FF7 with pretty graphics. I'd like everything to be fresh and renewed but also remain true to the spirit of the game.

This isn't going to be some half-baked Telltale game. But I want to see exactly what this means because splitting up a single 50+ hour RPG into multiple releases (I guess?) hasn't been done before much less to one that almost every gamer has memorized by heart.

Ploid 3.0

I don't really understand why people are reacting so harsh, a multi-part series has a lot of benefits and a better business design to do.

The game will come out faster and sooner to the public. It would be heavily polished up the ass with great details since now they have more time to design each section of the game. Not only that, the game is also adding new content, meaning each part would have enough game play to be a complete game worth 60 bucks. Thus, a more longer and polished game than the original. In a business sense this game isn't as big as the fans believe so the game was a game changer in the past, and mostly ever gamer at the time believe so, however, the game community was quite small compared today. The community is a lot larger and making AAA games with great details has been way more expensive to make. Supply vs Demand, to make an AAA game these days without losing money, you have to be safe and knows what sells. It's better to be safe than risk it on a fan base that is not as big as it once was.

If square-enix want to take the safer path with this game, then they should because taking a risk and losing the money means they won't have the money to continue making more games. I mean, considering how disappointed people are of the news, means you deeply enjoyed of the studio and there games they make.... so why not trust them as fans and see how the series would be?

Yes there's a chance that the multi-part series could be very short, unpolished, and over priced. Not only that square-enix has been making some bad business designs the last few years.However, after seeing the game play trailer of the game and the reaction people are giving before this news, it does not look like that they're going that direction. It looks like square-enix is taking there time to make this remake as par or better than the original.

I was such a big fan a fan in the PS1 (ff7 first rpg) and PS2 era, but they lost me during PS3. I played the heck out of their PS2 mmo for years, and I miss their pet mechanic, thief, red mage, blue mage, samurai, dancer, etc etc. even today. I constantly watch for games to replace the unique experience I had with beastmaster.

FFXIII didn't sound good to me, it seem very linear, long start before the real game begins and the first open area, which doesn't last long, and no cities because it was too hard to do them in HD at the time. I actually had a chance to get FFXIII for free with a online trade site but I got a horrible Wii safari snap shot game instead. I nearly decided to learn Japanese just for this game. How awkward that would have been, who knows though, maybe going into the game not knowing what to expect I would have liked it in the end.

Then I tried FFXIV... :\ I tried to like it (multiple 45-50s), it's too safe in the open world, everything was done in dungeons. Enemies ended up being below your level in the highest level zones if you were level 50 iirc. I loved risky exploring in ffxi, it was nowhere to be found in FFXIV.

2 more FFXIII games. Though I might give PC Lightning Returns a shot. I liked FFXI soloing, and it seems like she's a one man army of classes in this. It gives me vibes of FF12 if I were to solo with access to all classes? <3 FF12 also.

SE lost me big time, I'm not even excited for FFXV. I was at that Leviathan trailer. After looking at videos of the demo, it seemed boring.

I'm waiting on SE to win me back. They had me on Saturday. They had me so good.

A-V-B

Yup and hopefully they are taking cues from FFXV with it's world map at least.

Honestly, a compressed world map is still better once you get outside Midgar. There's no way they'll have us explore the entire planet using a scale similar to FFXV or Witcher 3. WAY too big.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Then the point I made at the top of this page also applies to you. Also lol do you think Square Enix is reading this shit?

No. I'm talking about discussions in the fandom. You act like you speak for ~true Final Fantasy VII fans.~ That grates on me, and not just because tildes are annoying.

Admittedly though, you're not wrong. It isn't for the combat that VII is my favorite game.

My thoughts exactly. And, for better or worse, I think that's a perfect place to end an episode since not even in the original could you go back to Midgar after leaving, so Square now doesn't have to think about backtracking from episode 2 to parts from episode 1.

I not that I want it, it's just that I think leaving Midgar will mark the end of ep1 for sure.

Yeah it makes sense. I'm very willing to bet episode 1 ends when you leave Midgar. Makes perfect sense why the only thing we've seen from this is Midgar including the original CG reveal. It was entirely Midgar setting as well.

Thats your Episode 1.

CHC

Honestly "open world" is so hot right now that I would have a hard time seeing them doing a linear / FFX or XIII style game. It doesn't seem like it fits their current vision for RPGs.

Also people seem to be overstating how free you were in the original. Up until you get the airship you generally have only 1 or 2 possible places to go to given the clever use of the world map geography.

quesalupa

Kitase: From the beginning, we have considered it impossible to remake FF7 into one single game.Althought it's impossible to tell you the details about the splitting at the moment, please wait for our further announcement.

Nomura: If we tried to stuff the whole game into one release, some part of the game would have to appear as digests. We'd have to remove some contents from the game, and it would be difficult to add more to the game. Considering that a full remake of the original game must be achived, we have decided to split the game into episodes.

Kitase: Taking the No.8 street shown in the video this time, even just this is already highly dense. If we are to remake the content of the original version at that quality, it would have been impossible to do with a single release.

Splitting the original version into episode with nothing dropped, as well as adding complements, and remaking the game the game in its full volume is what we are thinking.
Beautiful

Kitase: From the beginning, we have considered it impossible to remake FF7 into one single game.Althought it's impossible to tell you the details about the splitting at the moment, please wait for our further announcement.

This all sounds pretty damn good actually.

Now just let us know if there is a world map SE.

So, they decided to release it in pieces so they didn't have to cut things, but they're going to cut things, but they're going to add things.

This is all making a lot of sense.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'd personally take a two-disc Blu-ray game right out of the box. I don't want 3-4 pieces of the game and expect limited exploration? Where's the grand design in that? They'll cut it up and it'll pan out in a linear fashion. One area leads here, the other here, and so forth.

I don't want to feel like each piece is somehow opening the envelope. I want a full fledged game and the designers up at SE should know that. I could possibly take a 30 hour long part one and a 30 hour long part 2, but are they going to take out items and levels?

I don't see the point if they're just gonna take away progression and allow someone to just jump in.

To me, this isn't what we all dreamed about, but they're still doing it. It doesn't necessarily sound amazing, but it might pan out just right. Here I was thinking we'd see a full disc on the store shelves.

Danneee

Haha, nooooo thanks.

Square trying to maximize profits here, I wouldn't bet on them finishing it either if people loose interest and sales takes a dive towards the edlnd.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
None of that new info addresses the main concerns that people are having, so no.
The reactions went from Hype Train Knows No Brakes to Ruined Forever You Cheap Japanese at the drop of a hat. There is concern and then there is this diarrhea of a thread. The whole thing reads like shame and honor but unironically.

A-V-B

I wonder what kind of stuff has to be cut.

Hopefully it's merely elements that have to be cut due to them existing because of technical limitations or something. Elements totally outside their control, or elements not really belonging in this generation.

...I also really hope it's not Gold Saucer they're talking about, but who knows.

The reactions went from Hype Train Knows No Brakes to Ruined Forever You Cheap Japanese at the drop of a hat. There is concern and then there is this diarrhea of a thread. The whole thing reads like shame and honor but unironically.

Excuse us for giving a shit.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ouch and there is the catch. So I expect it to be some kind of yearly series? Episodes hitting PS4 first and a couple weeks later PC and Co.

Weird that the other translation seems to make out stuff is getting cut regardless, but this interview sounds more promising.

This was still announced in an incredibly stupid manner, but bar a large enough backlash there's not much you can do but hope all the episodes come together nicely and represent FFVII well.

dmr87

Ok I can calm down a bit.

Just need more details on exactly how they are planning to cut it, how much content will there be in each one, how far between releases. And when all parts are out you should be able to play through it just like it's one game.

Yup, if this is the case I have no problem with this so far.

So, at first I was upset but now that I think about it, what if they just separate the game into 3 episodes coinciding with each disc? Personally I think that'd be a cool nod to the original.

meanspartan

No they fucking wouldnt. Not if they did it right. If its a money issue, scrap 15 and make this right. That game will prob be another letdown anyway.

Ugggh

Sorry if Im not being logical, Im fuming right now. They couldnt just fucking do it right, could they?

Famassu

To anyone excusing this CDProjekt Red and The Witcher 3 just laugh.

I mean that is a 100+ hour narrative driven GIGANTIC open RPG. They did it and they are FAR smaller than SE
The Witcher 3 is a RPG where you run back & forth between a few different locations for a million times mostly completing repetitive monster hunting & ingredient fetching quests. It's not even remotely comparable to a game like FFVII where you traverse the whole fucking PLANET and do tons of story-specific totally random content (i.e. snowboarding minigames, dressing up as a woman etc.) along the way. Your comparison is even more laughable if we consider the fact that not only does Square Enix have to recreate all of the locations from FFVII with meticulous detail (which is a huge task in itself), they have to do MORE than just that. They can't just do Aeris' house and that's that. They have to actually create new environments that lead you to Aeris' house, considering this will have to be a modern RPG where you aren't greeted with a loading screen every 10 meters.

Jaymageck

My concern is that this makes it not really seem like an RPG to me anymore. In part 2 will we be back at level 1 or will our save carry over? What if people only buy part 2?

If the overworld is gone, people gonna be furious.

...I also really hope it's not Gold Saucer they're talking about.

Weren't there critical plot events that happened at gold saucer? I can see maybe a couple minigames getting axed but things like chocobo races, battle square, and G-Bike/Snowboarding are too iconic to leave out.

No they fucking wouldnt. Not if they did it right. If its a money issue, scrap 15 and make this right. That game will prob be another letdown anyway.

Ugggh

Sorry if Im not being logical, Im fuming right now. They couldnt just fucking do it right, could they?

M8.

I really hope you realize the sheer wrath that would be unleashed if this happened.

Boke1879

Beautiful

I'm hoping this was Nomura and Kitase's suggestion. With them talking like they want to create a faithful remake it seems like they are on board with this and feel this is the best way to do it.

I still need to wait for more info. I'm still wondering how long the first part will be but I'm optimistic they'll get it done.

GavinGT

Banned
I would have been happy if they just stuck with the mostly isometric camera from the original game. In fact, I think I would have preferred it. Exploring the same world from a behind-the-back view is a lot less compelling to me and probably requires a lot more work.

The stuff being cut is probably the kind of stuff that was going to be cut regardless of it being episodic or not (i.e. using a Dolphin to get to the upper parts of Junon).

Could mean the world map too, though. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Diagol

So...yeah I have a few major issues so far that I need to find out before I even want to continue purchasing this game:

- The overworld. Will it still be in? Or are they going to do something super shitty like remove it, and have it go from the highway in Midgar straight to Kalm (for example) and make the game more linear?
- I have the game pre-ordered through Amazon during the E3 sale (in Canada), so it's been pre-ordered for $49.99. Will this now just be 1 episode, or do I now have to wait for all the episodes to comes out before I get the full game?
- How many episodes are there, and how much will they cost?

I still feel annoyed that this is happening in the first place, and then they don't tell us even some of the most basic info after it's announced (which I still find the way they announced it to be in bad form).

entremet

Man....they are going to be wasting so much time on trying to get it to look like all the current FF games. Look what has happened with FF15. They waste time sending people out to take pictures of rocks and food on a plate instead of worrying more about the actual game.

To me, seeing as how FF7 was done way back on PS1, they pretty much had a blank slate on how this game could of looked.

ff7-cast.jpg

Hell, why not take these characters everyone fell in love with and finally realize that style in 3D.

Of course now the game has to be episodic now. We wouldn't of got it till 2020 probably.

Advent Children ruined this franchise in my opinion with what some people expect with the visuals.
SE is digging they're own grave financially going for the AC look.

I really hate what that compilation did for the game. Set way too high of expectation.

Top Bottom