• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Nomura Confirms Combat is Action Based

Kyoufu

driveby? fuck no. Ive been wanting an FF7 remake since 2006, for them to taunt me with a remake then present a game calling itself a remake without even having the decency to be in the same genre, fuck em. I'm not buying this shit

So you want a modern remake but without modern game design.

Lol, nice one.

You know you can have a great, "modern" great turn-based system / hybrid system, right ? (See Persona 5, Resonance of Fate)

Action based systems in rpg are usually boring / not deep enough to be interesting.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Its flashier then 12 and 13's combat by a huge margin

Fixed that for you.

And I enjoy XV combat far more than 13 but I really wouldn't call it better. It's very flawed once you get down to it. This has only become more apparent after going into games that have far superior combat systems and into a game that has a somewhat middling combat system. XV is still the least interesting of the bunch in recent memory for me.
I feels great sometimes but really it is also somewhat boring.

Is a game like Persona 5 not considered modern?

Some people are bound in their creativity by what they experienced. Really the only explanation is them being incapable of conceiving a concept like and evolved turn based system to suit the needs of a modern market until someone does it. Kind of like in Hollywood where stuff like Deadpool was inconceivable until it happened.

~Cross~

Some people gonna be like
UlGDuYU.gif

Lets be real here, a trilogy of games that going to be in development for like a decade isn't going to take the risk of being a command based game. Thats too much of a risk to take.

Twookie

what is the atb for?

It seemingly looks like when you hit an attack the ATB bar fills up a bit while simultaneously depleting, so to fill it up you have to constantly attack. when the bar is filled you get to execute a special attack.

someone here made a good post about this, I'll see if I can find it for you. Noone knows for sure though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This remake needed this tweak.

Petrae

I remember being initially excited for this "remake" when it was first announced. Then, like Darth Vader on Cloud City, the deal kept being altered and made progressively worse. Now, you couldn't pay me enough to want to play this thing.

I should be used to Square-Enix disappointing me, though, with Final Fantasy. It's been doing so for more than a decade. Sometimes one needs to learn that shit ain't gonna change.

Arkeband

Banned
Final Fantasy XV's combat is a huge pile of shit so this gives me zero hope this remake will be good

The only saving grace is Kingdom Hearts combat is actually half decent, so I would expect it to play closer to that than FFXV's clunkiness.

FFXV's combat is total ass.

I mean I get why you'd want it to still be turn based...but it's still a jrpg, and I never get why people expect them to invest years of development time and probably a gigantic budget to do a comparatively simple graphical upgrade. Just because you don't like the style doesn't make it shit, imo.
Because "its still a JRPG" is meaningless. JRPG doesnt really tell you anything about how a game plays. Fire Emblem and Nier Automata are both JRPGs, these games cant be lumped into one genre. FFVII is my favorite game of all time, and turn based RPGs are my favorite genre. These days the entire genre is dead besides handhelds and low budget spinoffs. Square decides "lets remake the most famous turn based game of all time" and just changes the genre, to a genre we are fucking flooded with atm. Its incredibly frustrating. I've never said this should be a simple graphical upgrade, but there was still plenty of room within the turn based genre to come up with a new combat system.
turn based isnt some outdated design...not every game has to be an action game. Action != modern

The original is widely considered an all time classic game.

The remake will be remembered as just another action rpg.

Maybe after seeing FF7 remade into something completely different, someone will finally have the courage to remake chess, and turn it into the real time strategy game it has always deserved to be.

You seem reaaaally angry and hostile tho :/

I mean I get why you'd want it to still be turn based...but it's still a jrpg, and I never get why people expect them to invest years of development time and probably a gigantic budget to do a comparatively simple graphical upgrade. Just because you don't like the style doesn't make it shit, imo.

I'm slightly cautious myself but I'm also skeptical it'll come out in my lifetime so eh

They aren't being angry or hostile. It's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed because a lot of people wanted or expected the base mechanics to remain intact with changes made to the presentation. Personally, I will wait until we get footage and impressions before deciding to buy. I'm annoyed at the decision but will go in with an open mind!

Currently playing through FF7 for the first time. Just got to Shinra HQ early in the game. Loving everything except the tank controls and obtuse level design at times. For example, how tf was I supposed to know to go into the bathroom and crawl through a vent to overhear a convo to progress the game? So dumb.

ethomaz

Banned
Expected and if I'm not wrong confirmed since announce.

Sad.

The hope at least to be something better than the serviceable FFXV's combat.

Jonnax

That's good to hear. Turn based takes a bit of the 'realism' away especially since they're going quite realistic here.

Unless they really put work into animations to show enemies and the party readying attacks. It could work. But much harder.

Hektor

Not exactly surprising, I just hope it'll be closer to KH than something like XV

Saying one does not like TB combat is a fine opinion to have, saying it's not modern on the other hand is just lol worthy

khaaan

Lol, nice one.

You know you can have a great, "modern" great turn-based system / hybrid system, right ? (See Persona 5, Resonance of Fate)

Action based systems in rpg are usually boring / not deep enough to be interesting.

And turn based systems usually are?

Kyoufu

They aren't being angry or hostile. It's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed because a lot of people wanted or expected the base mechanics to remain intact with changes made to the presentation. Personally, I will wait until we get footage and impressions before deciding to buy. I'm annoyed at the decision but will go in with an open mind!

Currently playing through FF7 for the first time. Just got to Shinra HQ early in the game. Loving everything except the tank controls and obtuse level design at times. For example, how tf was I supposed to know to go into the bathroom and crawl through a vent to overhear a convo to progress the game? So dumb.

I want to know why anyone expected a remake directed by Nomura in the year 201X to be turn-based, or why anyone expects big budget Final Fantasy games to be turn-based.

Persona is one game, and doesn't have the production values of a final Fantasy, there's nothing like what final Fantasy was. Ffvii remake could've at least been that

going forward, turn-based and production values will be mutually exclusive

that market is too small for huge budgets

embrace indies or adapt to the glorious real-time future present

Really hated the decision when it was revealed, and still hate it now. Now if I can only control Cloud, this will go straight to bargain price at best.

I think I'm more annoyed that they don't think a FFVII remake would sell as a turn-based game.

daevious

Yeah, that's a major hype-killer right there.

Even though I dislike ATB, removing it outright isn't the right move to make.

ffvorax

We already knew it would have been an action similar to KH, didn't we?
I'm ok with that actually... I already have my FFVII jrpg

Fine by me. There's yet to be a mainline FF with combat I don't like, including XII, XIII and XV.

I do hope they go a slightly different direction with XVI.

Top Bottom