• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Nomura Confirms Combat is Action Based

Exentryk

Small update from Nomura re FF7 Remake in Famitsu, and summarised below:

Small bit of FF7 remake related interview on this week's famitsu

-Seems there was some mistranslation in Magic interview, Nomura reiterates that remake's combat system will be based on action system, not command based.
-the screenshot showed Cloud in cover, but it's to show that there are certain areas on the map where Cloud can interact seamlessly, and the cover is something completely optional.
-the guard scorpion battle has map destruction, and some brand new attacks by the scorpion boss. It will be pretty flashy battle.

Original post:
FF7記事で野村哲也氏からコメントが掲載。

「公開した現地でのインタビューで通訳に不備があったのでここで説明しておきます。

バトルはコマンドではなくアクションベース。物陰に隠れるようなカバー動作に関しては、マップにとってできる場面があるが必須ではない。
シームレスなので様々な場面に応じたアクションがありうるということをお見せした。

ガードスコーピオンはマップ破壊もあり、オリジナルにはなかった攻撃も多数あるのでかなりハデなバトルになっている。
よく見ると多数のミサイルが降ってきているのが確認できると思う」

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20010348.html

Good.

Also shouldn't be surprising since every game he's directed (and maybe even only been producer on?) has been action based.

raven777

Lol my twitter was limited space, so here I wrote more detailed info

Small bit of FF7 remake related interview on this week's famitsu

-Seems there was some mistranslation in Magic interview, Nomura reiterates that remake's combat system will be based on action system, not command based.
-the screenshot showed Cloud in cover, but it's to show that there are certain areas on the map where Cloud can interact seamlessly, and the cover is something completely optional.
-the guard scorpion battle has map destruction, and some brand new attacks by the scorpion boss. It will be pretty flashy battle.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Not happy but whatever. If they announce next you only control Cloud though and party members will handle like in XV.... *shudder*.

Full translation from Gematsu

“Because there was an imperfection in the interpretation of an interview we did at the site [of MAGIC 2017], I will explain here.

“Battles are not command-based, they’re action-based. Regarding cover actions, there are places where they can be done on the map, but they are not required. Because it’s seamless, I showed that there can be actions according to various places.

“The Guard Scorpion battle has map destruction and a great number of attacks that weren’t in the original battle, so it has become a significantly flashy battle. If you look closely, I think that you can see that a number of missiles are coming down.”

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2017/03/final-fa...tion-based-cover-optional#kXkvUo3IGrp8wZcA.99

salromano

Here's my translation: http://gematsu.com/2017/03/final-fantasy-vii-remake-battles-action-based-cover-optional

”Because there was an imperfection in the interpretation of an interview we did at the site [of MAGIC 2017], I will explain here.

”Battles are not command-based, they're action-based. Regarding cover actions, there are places where they can be done on the map, but they are not required. Because it's seamless, I showed that there can be actions in response to various scenes.

”The Guard Scorpion battle has map destruction and a great number of attacks that weren't in the original, so it has become a significantly flashy battle. If you look closely, I think that you can see that there are a number of missiles are coming down."

Edit: Beat. Though I fixed up the last line of the second paragraph.

ConceptX

I'm fine with that, I'm excited for a new direction, I've already replayed the original countless times on different platforms.

Map destruction and new boss scripts are great, It'd be a shame for it just to be a lick of paint.

Nameless

Would've been fine with either but never as actually expected them to invest so much money on a turn based game in this day & age.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
News we all already knew but some of us were not accepting.

I'm OK with it. More Crisis Core than full on Kingdom Hearts would be preferred IMO.

Fuck yeah. KH style please.

Im ok with action combat but this is gross

The less like kingdom hearts the better

I will say that 7 will lose a lot in the transition as far as mechanical gameplay goes

im legit worried that they can do the game justice on a systemic level

And hell I actually enjoyed 15 once i got used to it but this will only be FF7 in visuals, theme and story alone

:/

Final Fantasy XV's combat is a huge pile of shit so this gives me zero hope this remake will be good

He didn't make FF15's combat though. Tabata changed the battle system of that game extensively. Based on what we've seen the original Versus 13 combat system was going to be a weightier version of KH's battle system (which looks to also be the case for 7R).

NoKisum

Wasn't there a trailer that showed the combat being action based? Wasn't that the confirmation right there? Or am I thinking of a different trailer?

Exentryk

Wasn't there a trailer that showed the combat being action based? Wasn't that the confirmation right there? Or am I thinking of a different trailer?

Some people still had doubts, esp with seeing ATB bars in the HUD and what not. That's why Nomura feels like he needs to clarify it in this interview.

driveby? fuck no. Ive been wanting an FF7 remake since 2006, for them to taunt me with a remake then present a game calling itself a remake without even having the decency to be in the same genre, fuck em. I'm not buying this shit

I would have preferred a remake that made the game full 3D and kept most of everything else mechanical intact

maybe have the focus on changing all the cutscenes, dialogue and environments

instead they opted to make a completely new game with the same story and characters with a lot of liberties taken

this better not be advent children the game...

Think we already knew this, but my opinion hasn't changed in that I still have no interest at all in a FF7 remake that changes genres (or the remaster, since people always bring that up).

Haven't enjoyed a single FF since they stopped being largely "command based", and it likely won't change any time soon.

I would have preferred a remake that made the game full 3D and kept most of everything else mechanical intact

maybe have the focus on changing all the cutscenes, dialogue and environments

instead they opted to make a completely new game with the same story and characters with a lot of liberties taken

this better not be advent children the game...
I would have no problems with them coming up with completely new combat mechanics, just keep it the same damn genre. I'm so fucking sick of action RPGs, and the only one square has ever published with good combat was outsourced to platinum

driveby? fuck no. Ive been wanting an FF7 remake since 2006, for them to taunt me with a remake then present a game calling itself a remake without even having the decency to be in the same genre, fuck em. I'm not buying this shit

You seem reaaaally angry and hostile tho :/

I mean I get why you'd want it to still be turn based...but it's still a jrpg, and I never get why people expect them to invest years of development time and probably a gigantic budget to do a comparatively simple graphical upgrade. Just because you don't like the style doesn't make it shit, imo.

I'm slightly cautious myself but I'm also skeptical it'll come out in my lifetime so eh

Top Bottom