• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I am shocked no one is talking about the PS5 version
It looks absolutely gorgeous
finalfantasyviiremake94jtv.jpg

finalfantasyviiremake0qkuw.jpg

finalfantasyviiremakencj0c.jpg

finalfantasyviiremake1nj1l.jpg

Last edited:

wvnative

So I am just wondering, because the DLC is kicking my ass...

Is Nero the final boss? His third phase is whooping me

Lethal01

Guys, FFVIIRemake Intergrade Vs Advent Children 4K, what do you guys think?
PS5 version looking better than the CGI Advent Children yet?

VP2UFWP.jpg
o4pYAhH.jpg

Even the PS4 version looks better when it came to characters.

Advent Children has more geomertic detail in it's environments

I’m really confused and need help. I have a disk copy of ff7remake that I played on my PS4 pro. I just got my ps5 and I’ve installed the data disk and play disk, transferred my save from cloud store, purchased the inter grade free upgrade on psn. I can load up my disk ff7 but when I go to additional episode in the menu it’s asking for a voucher code? Is that not part of the free upgrade? Also how do I know I’m running the ps5 version with all the graphical upgrades?

wvnative

I’m really confused and need help. I have a disk copy of ff7remake that I played on my PS4 pro. I just got my ps5 and I’ve installed the data disk and play disk, transferred my save from cloud store, purchased the inter grade free upgrade on psn. I can load up my disk ff7 but when I go to additional episode in the menu it’s asking for a voucher code? Is that not part of the free upgrade? Also how do I know I’m running the ps5 version with all the graphical upgrades?

The DLC is a separate thing, if you upgraded for free, you must buy the Yuffie DLC for $19.99.

PS4 games are labelled PS4 when you highlight them, if a game title doesn't have "| PS4" in the title it's the PS5 version.

Plus the Yuffie DLC is PS5 only, so you wouldn't even get the prompt if you were running the PS4 version

Sethbacca

Go into your system settings and you can delete the PS4 version of the game and leave only the PS5 version on your console. That's what I did at least. Otherwise you can hit the little "..." button to ensure you're on the correct version.

Shmunter

Really digging this. Playing on ps5

Apart from looking superb, the forward moving, almost linear narrative driven experience has open opportunities in hub areas for those that are into openness. It really is for all gamers.

Even paced slow walking included, which is brilliant to allow character development while still interacting with the game.

And the brawler style combat with the deep rpg system is quite remarkable.

Hope it continues like this, currently on chapter 4. How many chapters?

Last edited:

led4lyfe

Decided to replay this on Hard mode after finishing Intergrade- it looks great on PS5. Starting chapter 9 now and no issues with the hard difficulty setting but I think that’s about to change in the next few chapters…

I just don't think this game is for me. Still find the combat utterly confusing to follow. Wish there was some sort of training area to get to grips with it. Was fine when it was just me and maybe 1 other character, but 3 and eventually 4 I can't even tell what is going on half the time.

Shmunter

I just don't think this game is for me. Still find the combat utterly confusing to follow. Wish there was some sort of training area to get to grips with it. Was fine when it was just me and maybe 1 other character, but 3 and eventually 4 I can't even tell what is going on half the time.
You eventually open up VR boss battles and a Coliseum you can repeat.

Check the Manual in the options, has everything in there with pics.

Loving the game except for the soundtrack, turned it down to 20%. It’s so bonkers and silly, they totally dropped the ball not modernising this aspect.

Lethal01

It’s so bonkers and silly, they totally dropped the ball not modernising this aspect.

The soundtrack is one of the things people loved most. I hear more people complaining about how it doesn't capture the retro feel enough. Seems pretty modern to me.

Lethal01

Wow really? I despise it.
That's totally fine, arguing about musical taste is a waste of time. but I'm surprised you managed to miss the almost universal praise for the music.
What I don't get is what you mean by it wasn't modernised, unless Rock and orchestra is suddenly out of style.

What kind of changes would need to be made for you to find it to be modernized?

Last edited:
You eventually open up VR boss battles and a Coliseum you can repeat.

Check the Manual in the options, has everything in there with pics.

Loving the game except for the soundtrack, turned it down to 20%. It’s so bonkers and silly, they totally dropped the ball not modernising this aspect.
Yeah, I know mostly how it works. It's just so chaotic and confusing to keep track of what's going on with the effects and camera.

Shmunter

That's totally fine, arguing about musical taste is a waste of time. but I'm surprised you managed to miss the almost universal praise for the music.
What I don't get is what you mean by it wasn't modernised, unless Rock and orchestra is suddenly out of style.

What kind of changes would need to be made for you to find it to be modernized?
It feels super out of place for me. I’m exploring dark sewers and a buoyant whimsical soundtrack is bopping along more suitable to picking flowers in a sunny field.

Must be a Japanese thing. My first ever Jap RPG.

Lethal01

It feels super out of place for me. I’m exploring dark sewers and a buoyant whimsical soundtrack is bopping along more suitable to picking flowers in a sunny field.

Must be a Japanese thing. My first ever Jap RPG.

I don't see it as buoyant and whimsical, seems exactly as dark and foreboding as a sewer should be without trying to make it sound like you're in some hopeless hellscape.

I suppose some modern games often go the route of just having no music at all. but not to the point that a soundtrack like this is a "japanese" thing.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I don't see it as buoyant and whimsical, seems exactly as dark and foreboding as a sewer should be without trying to make it sound like you're in some hopeless hellscape.

I suppose some modern games often go the route of just having no music at all. but not to the point that a soundtrack like this is a "japanese" thing.

Only up to ch9 so far and have not enjoyed the soundtrack. Was even thinking of muting it completely and playing some Spotify in the background, but even that’s not a solution with constant music.

Fredrik

Just started playing Intergrade, entered the slum and just met Tifa. I’m super impressed by what they’ve done on the visual side here, just fantastic. Playing in performance mode and it still looks nuts! Love that they’re using the same music too. Nostalgia is overflowing!

But the combat. What have they done? I don’t understand if it wants to be DMC or Demon’s Souls or what the deal is, I just know that from my perspective it’s failing miserably with whatever it’s doing and it’s really pissing me off. Tried to swap to classic where they said I could focus on giving commands but it really doesn’t matter, it’s still an action game. As a fan of the original I honestly feel betrayed. This is not what I wanted.

Kev Kev

Just started playing Intergrade, entered the slum and just met Tifa. I’m super impressed by what they’ve done on the visual side here, just fantastic. Playing in performance mode and it still looks nuts! Love that they’re using the same music too. Nostalgia is overflowing!

But the combat. What have they done? I don’t understand if it wants to be DMC or Demon’s Souls or what the deal is, I just know that from my perspective it’s failing miserably with whatever it’s doing and it’s really pissing me off. Tried to swap to classic where they said I could focus on giving commands but it really doesn’t matter, it’s still an action game. As a fan of the original I honestly feel betrayed. This is not what I wanted.
i enjoyed the combat, but there are some pretty glaring flaws with it.

the biggest one being that status ailment items are completely useless. even on hard mode i never had to use them (edit: i forgot you cant even use items in hard mode, so nevermind that). and even if you did need to use them, the combat is so fast and frantic that there is no time! i sold every single antidote, echo screen, etc because they simply were better for the little bit of gil i got than actually trying to use them in combat.

i dont really care for how they handled magic. it just feels weak and uninteresting when they cast it. i dont like how they handled summons at all. id have rather a powerful attack with a cool cutscene, like the original, rather than what we got. the lock on camera is GOD AWFUL. after nearly 200 hours put into ffvii remake, i still never figured that camera out or got used to it. ATB takes forever to fill up, and there will be times where there is a flying monster, or a monster that is "immune" to all attacks, and youre just standing there waiting for your ATB to fill up and you cant attack them to fill it up faster so youre screwed. meanwhile they are still tagging you with attack. that shit is infuriating. i hate the fact that limit breaks will be used and then it will go into a cut scene animation mid battle, and your limit break will be wasted and not used (it happened more times than i can remember, same if you just selected a magic or ability i believe). in general, abilities and magic can just straight up miss sometimes, which is bullshit. magic should always hit, no matter what. i cant fathom the reason they decided to do that. and im sure theres more complaints im not thinking of atm, but you get the idea...

the wasted potential in this game is enormous. the kingdom hearts-ifying and anime-ifying of it is embarrassing. the narrow, hallway like pathways everywhere is atrocious. the horrible sky boxes and shit tier textures were atrocious. just so many things went wrong with this game, and dont get me started on the story (i wont spoil anything for you, but there are some huge changes toward the end...)

i actually created a list of complaints as i played through the game, because i had so many as i was going through, i wanted to keep track of them all to discuss. you may not want to read it if you havent finished the game yet, its pretty light on spoilers but, still... also, i made the list as i played through the game, and i didnt go back and edit anything. so some of the complaints get corrected later on, or i change my mind or have a different perspective. or sometimes the question im asking was answered later on. it stupidly long, and a little bit whiny, but they are my raw, on the spot feelings of my first play through (only as it relates to things that annoyed me or i didnt like... i didnt make a list of all the stuff i did like, but i put 200 hours into that game, so i liked it enough lol)

here it is... spoiler tagged because its massive...

• Magic, abilities, summons abilities, limits, etc should not be able to miss
    • This one I wrote early on in the game. I somewhat changed my mind over the course of the game, as I realized it would be a little OP in certain situations to never be able to miss. However, there are enough times that crucial commands missed (including limit breaks are you fucking kidding me!?) that I had to make a comment about it
  • Too many corridors (is it a loading thing?)
    • So, this is a usual for JRPG, and I kind of get, but at the same time I really fucking hate it. Why why why why do Japanese gaem dev’s think this is such a great idea. It’s so boring and just downright bizarre for there to be these perfect pathways through each level. Perhaps this is a loading thing, like they are having oyu run through these long corridors whil the next sections load… but other times it just seemed like they wanted to make the world feel larger by having run along absurdly long hallways from one destination to the next. Byt the end of chpter 14, I wasn’t as annoyed but still… enough with the corridor Square, enough.
  • Textures
    • Self-explanatory. The low-res textures are like N64 graphics. While the character models and other elements of the game world are some of the best I’ve ever seen! I dunno, maybe it’s another development thing I don’t understand. But it definitely takes you out of the game when you notice it.
  • Battle too fast, never have time to use status ailment items
    • This is another thing I felt different about by the end of the game. In fact, I almost deleted it off the list just now, but I wanted to keep it in as I know many others share the opinion, and I guess I kind of still do in some situations. To put things into perspective I sell all of my status ailment items. I don’t use any of them in battle because everything is moving so fast it’s not worth the time. So why even have them!? I also feel some of the strategy is lost with everything moving at break-neck speed, but like I said by the end of the game I had the hang of it. Still, a little slowing down of enemy attacks and movements would go a long way.
  • Map is weird and confusing, they should just show me the whole map, not break it down into weird sections
    • I hated how they laid out the map screen in this game. It was so weird how I could only see sections, never the big picture. Trying to figure out where I was or where I was going in relation to the rest of the game world was confusing. I don’t understand why they didn’t just give us a big map. Then I could have a better understanding of how each area relates to the other and really get a better feel for the game world, as well as not be confused as to where to go next.
  • Lock on in battle does not rotate with my character, so I’m constantly tryin to readjust camera position in battle
    • I tried adjusting the setting, but I couldn’t find anything that let me stay hard focused on an enemy. Especially after switching to another character, the game would have the camera facing in the wrong direction, and not on what I’m already locked onto. And sometimes I’d just be trying to move around the arena and would have to stop and adjust the camera. Just leave it focused on the fucking enemy I locked onto! It was infuriating when the battle was getting heated and I switched to another char only to have to adjust the camera first, and by that time (bc battle moves so god damn fast) the enemy could already be pummeling me and my other characters. This is a huuuuge complaint from me. If anyone knows how to address this, please tell me!
  • More interactivity in the world, searching book shelves, reading signs, other fun things like that
    • I loved searching pots, book shelves, barrels and other world items and finding hidden items in RPG’s when I was a kid. It’s something that’s been absent from RPG’s for along time, but I’d love to see it make a return. Spoon feeding my chests and stacks of boxes for items is boring and uncreative. Give me a reason to check out your beautiful game world by searching interesting looking things in the world. There doesn’t always have to be an item in there, it could just be something I search and text pops up saying “it’s a book about weapons and armor” or some such shit (hopefully more interesting than that but you get the idea). I feel it would go a long way to really fleshing out some of the game world, and give me a reason to explore and enjoy all of the artists hard work.
  • Less interrupting magic and abilities
    • This must have been the point where I came around to being okay with some interruptions, but I still wanted less
  • Enemies exploding and hurting/killing me after they’ve already been “defeated”, at least keep me in attack/battle mode to let me know it’s not quite done yet! Or a warning or something
    • This some baby back bullshit. Some enemies will explode and damage you’ve after you’ve defeated them. And the worst part is, the game gives you zero indication that this is going to happen. In fact, the game has Cloud and gang put away their weapons and relax like everything is over and then BAM! 1,000HP damage. And I’m all “WTF WAS THAT!?”. Ugh, this one didn’t happen often but when it did it infuriated me. Like, give me a flashing red light, a timer, anything! Or at the least don’t have the party put their weapons away like the battle is over, bc it isn’t!
  • Stop putting me in a position where I can’t physically attack something, leading to very slow turns because I can’t fill gauge
    • This one I got a little better at as I went along. But I feel it still deserves a complaint. There were too many times I was in a situation where I was having trouble filling the ATB gauge. Some enemies will by flying around and spinning, which hurts you and is immune to physical attack, and since my ATB gauge isn’t full, I can’t use magic. So, I literally have to hold block, put myself in the path of this spinning death monster and use the damage I take as a way to fill my ATB. And since it doesn’t fill quickly, it takes kind of long time and really ruins the flow of battle. It’s not a huge thing for me as I got better at not putting myself in those situations as the game went on, but I still it deserves to be addressed.
  • Less fetch side quests. They don’t have to be super overproduced either but make the objective something more interesting. Here’s where you should be getting creative, not JUST fleshing out the world
    • The side quest ranged from okay to pretty uninspired to downright like doing house chores. I really think they can do better with this. I always reference Saints Row 2 when I’m having this discussion. Bc from what I remember that game had some super fun and creative side missions. I dunno, it’s a long time since I played that game so maybe I way off base… but I’d love to see more creative side quests content. Maybe have it led to mini games, fun platforming sections or something. A couple vanilla fetch quests or monster hunts is fine but it felt like it was like that for every single side quest.
  • After battle exp, items, etc need to display for a couple seconds longer
    • I hate missing all of that stuff (especially in a battle where the enemy blows up after he dies, and I’m worried about running away so I miss all that!)
  • Be more creative hiding items, they don’t always have to be in chests.
    • This ties into what I was saying before about hiding items in places like pots, barrels and bookshelves like they used to do in old school RPG’s. Additionally, I feel like the chests can be hidden even better. They did a better job than in most JRPG’s… but I think they can get even more creative here.
  • The stacked boxes of power ups, they dont have to be these weird out of place things, be more creative
    • Same thing here. This was a really big groan for me when I realized they were going to be a regular thing. It takes me right out of the game world to see those everywhere. And they didn’t even try to be creative with them, just these standard size boxes neatly stacked in the corner of every other room. So bizarre and uninspired. They could have made some of them wooden boxes, barrels, pots and pans, stacks of rubble, wood, trash etc
  • What’s up with all the items you can shit kick around, so weird and takes me out of the game. Literally hilarious and just so bizarre that they would add that in
    • This is the most head scratching and hilarious complaint of the list. I sut can’t for the life of me understand why they made all of these items so easy to kick around. And for no reason! Other than the moogle mini game where smash the boxes for points, there was basically no use for all of these items in the world. I remember one room where I was literally kicking around a dozen lunch tables and even more chairs (like a cafeteria or something) and I was cry laughing at how ridiculous and pointless it was. They need to do something with that or just remove it from the game because it’s really fucking stupid.
  • I like the level length, but if they are going to be the same looking rooms and corridors every new area then they need to be shorter. It’s exhausting
    • Pretty self-explanatory and ties into my corridor complaint earlier. The length of the game is certainly padded by these long corridors and room after room of the same looking environment and more hallways, more rooms, blah blah blah. It really got exhausting in the first half of the game. I will say that it got much better by the end. And Hojo’s mako lab was a big improvement over sections earlier in the game.
  • Limits are too hard to achieve, I never get to see them
    • I also changed my mind about this one over time, but still, it’d be nice if they were a little easier to achieve…
  • Also, again with the battle speed, I never have time to watch the cool attacks and beauty animations bc everything is moving at break neck speed, sloooow down. Maybe allow the rest of the enemies and characters to pause while certain magic and abilities, limits or summons at being used
    • This one is a real shame. They put all that work into the animations and movements and I almost never got to slow down and appreciate them. I used to loooove watching all that stuff in the original. I’d love if they could pause for limits and summons, at the very least (although, I think it does pause a couple times for summons, like when they enter and leave, but not for any of their attack… boo)
  • Don’t make me sit there and wait to heal my players (out of battle), just let me use a potion as fast as I need. Yeah, we get it, the animation looks nice but if it affects functionality and fluidity of gameplay it probably needs to go
    • This bullshit right here. This is so head scratching I can only imagine they completely overlooked it, or they were so proud of their use potion animation that they let it stop me from using potions quickly and efficiently. Holding L1 to use multiple item was a great idea but making me sit there and wait for the animation to finish instead of just letting me use 10 in a row real fast is beyond dumb. They need to speed that up, or just let me do it quickly from the menu like in the original.
  • Stop slowing me down to a walk (maybe it’s for loading times?) it even happens when an area is not loading
    • I swear to god this happens at the dumbest times, where it’s not loading something, it’s just slowing my down to a walk and fixing the camera on something, completely forcing me to go one direction agonizingly slooooow. It’s so fucking stupid. Stop taking control away from or spoon feeding me which direction to go. I can figure it out, or at the very least, be creative in getting players to go where you want them to go, don’t force them into a slow ass walk, that is almost never a good idea.
  • Less pointless jumping/hurdling over things, walking across balance beam segments. It’s weird and slows everything down for no reason (loading?)
    • Again, maybe this a loading thing in some cases, but there were so many time where your character was jumpin over one steel beam or having to do a balance walk over a strut or whatever, and it felt so cheap and pointless. I can see doing some of that once in a while, but there was so much of it in every level it just bothered me.
  • Sections like grappling hook, or when Barrett uses his gun to blow rocks up, are not fun because they don’t feel natural, they feel like simulations and point and click, totally not fun and pointless.
    • This was such a shame because they had the right idea but it was executed poorly. Changin up the gameplay and being creative, like the part where Barrett has to shoot rocks to get through, was a great idea! But then they literally just had you hold triangle. You couldn't even aim the fucking gun arm by yourself, a dream I've had since playing the original in 97, are you kidding me!? You're one opportunity to let players fucking finally go bananas with Barretts gun arm and you fucked it up! Ugh, such a waste. Same thing with the grappling hook. It literally tells you where to point with a big circle arrow thing and then you just press triangle. Like, let me actually aim the grappling hook or the gun arm around, let me use it to get to different sections where you might have a hidden chest. You don’t have to spoon feed me every grappling hook point or which rocks to blowup, I can figure it out, and it’s more fun to give me control of the aim and have to explore the beautiful game world trying to find those points.
  • Ties into last one, stop giving me button prompts for every little thing, trust the player to be able to figure some of that stuff out
    • This is mostly a complaint about those little blue arrows every-fucking-where. Whenever there is a ladder, narrow squeeze through point or any kind of a jump it gives you these immersion breaking blue arrows all over it. It would have been so much more fun and given me reason o explore the world if they took those out, or let it be something I can toggle in the menu. I really think removing those would have gone a long way in making the world feel less plastic.
  • Why does a potion heal 350 HP and cost 50 Gil, while a hi-potion heals 700 HP and costs 300 Gil.
    • Was this to make it more punishing to use in battle? You lose a ton of hp in many battles, it’s doesn’t make sense to make me just have to buy potions, especially considering it takes so long to use them bc I have to wait for the animation to finish. By the end of the game I was just using Curaga spells and ethers, or I was running all the way back to a bench bc sitting there using potions with the slow ass potion animation took s long, if not longer, than just running a couple rooms back. Maybe it was exactly like this in the original, I can’t remember, but it seems fucking retarded to make buying regular potions more economical, but have it take forever for me to use them (ties into the potion animation complaint form earlier)
  • Why are enemies so much more powerful than me. There physical attacks hit me for hundreds and hundreds while I’m over here only hitting for 60 or 70 at a time. Sahagin prince for example hair feel insanely over powered. I barely scratch him while one of his attacks does 700 damage
    • This was a rage complaint while I was in the Shinra combat simulator. I still feel like it’s kind of a valid complaint though. Enemies really get at your HP in this game. Again, I got better as I went through the game, but I still would have appreciated a bit of a nerf on some of the harder enemies like Sahagin Prince (God I hated those fuckers when ever I cmae across them)
  • Why the fuck is the enemy intel (bestiary) not in alphabetical order. Why make it so hard to find the enemy I’m looking for?
    • Self-explanatory. This the dumbest shit ever. Put in alphabetical order you morons.
  • When I switch weapons, just remove all the material from the last weapon I was using, it makes it confusing when I’m looking through my list of materia, even though they are faded out, it still fucks with me
    • This complaint I went round and round with through out the game. Sometimes I liked that it remembered my materia, so that way if I switched back to that weapon, the materia I had on it would still be equipped and I wouldn’t have to redo it. Except, that by the time I got back to using that other weapon, my materia would be all moved around, or I’d have new materia or I’d have moved it form one char to another. By the end of the game, I just removed all materia from any weapons that any party member wasn’t using. This made it easier to manage in the menu. Still though, I think it could be useful, in certain situations, to have it remember materia for all weapon variants… meh…
  • On materia set for all screen, leave the list there after I equip something.
    • The list disappears for some stupid reason and I have to scroll all the way back down to find equip the next piece of materia. Seeing how moving around materia can be strategic and helpful, navigating the menus needs to be easier and more fluid. As it is now, the list disappears and it show a big beautiful orb of materia, which yeah looks nice, but again if it interrupts functionality, there needs to be a change
  • Don’t give me “platforming” sections where I just make one button press or hold forward in the left stick, be more creative
    • Self-explanatory. Many of these sections you can literally just hold the left stick forward and get through it. It was a good idea to change up the pace and gameplay, but Square for the love of holy god please stop spoon feeding these sections to us like we are babies. It’s more fun for the player to have to figure these things out.
  • Stop making me hold triangle for buttons and stuff, it is beyond stupid. Is this another game design thing?
    • This one I don’t get. Maybe they are loading something, maybe they’ve found players like to hold triangle (lol), I dunno, but it seems pretty dumb. Just have me press triangle and be done with it, no reason to make players wait and hold something.
  • Stop throwing battles at me that make me change my materia before every fight. The enemies should be similar and have similar abilities. There are times where I’m constantly changing characters and materia be its tedious and annoying (hojo lab part)
    • This one I’m still on the fence bout. On one hand I love moving materia around and changing my set up to be more strategic, but on the other hand, I hate getting into battle only to realize I need to change my materia all around. So, if I die, I do exactly that, and I go back into the battle and win. But then, the next fight is something wildly different… so again, I have to die first and then go in, change my materia, go back into the battle and then I win. I felt like I had to do that too much in areas where all the enemies should have been similar and I shouldn’t have had to do that. It got really tedious especially toward then end with all the boss battles and various monsters in hojo’s lab/mako lab area.
  • The conference room scene with all the villains was absolutely perfect
    • I added this in because I don’t think that scene could have been more perfect.
Well, I don’t imagine anyone is going to actually read all that, but I feel better having bitched and moaned bout all my little gripes. Let me end this book of a post by saying that I loved the game and I feel Square can chalk this up to a victory. But they have a lot of work to do (and let’s not get started on what the hell they are thinking with the story parts towards the end... for the record thoguh, i don't mind it all that much, the rest of the original story is still intact... but yeah the whole changing destiny thing is bizarre, and if you're not seeing the kingdom hearts parallels here then you are not looking very hard... the giant monster itself at the end of the game looked a lot like that giant black monster you see all the time in KH).

but in the end i really enjoyed the game and im looking forward to the next installment. i just dont shy away from criticizing something, even if its one of my favorite series like FF or doom. and then there comes a time where the way they are making the game just isnt for you anymore. we'll see how part 2 goes, then i will have to decide if i am still a fan of FF or not. i think itll be alright and ill enjoy it, i just hope they open up the game world a bit and slow down combat... those two things would make me very happy.

i dont agree with everything this guy says, or how he says it, but it was straight up cathartic watching this video because i mirrored so many thoughts that a lot of us are having or have had about square over the last 15 years or so. again, maybe dont check it out until youve beat the game, but he hits the nail on the head on some things (and is just kind of a douchebag about other things, but hey, they cant all be winners can they...)

holy shit this is the longest post ive ever posted lol

Last edited:

Lethal01

the biggest one being that status ailment items are completely useless. even on hard mode i never had to use them. and even if you did need to use them, the combat is so fast and frantic that there is no time! i sold every single antidote, echo screen, etc because they simply were better for the little bit of gil i got than actually trying to use them in combat.

i dont really care for how they handled magic. it just feels weak and uninteresting when they cast it. i dont like how they handled summons at all. id have rather a powerful attack with a cool cutscene, like the original, rather than what we got. the lock on camera is GOD AWFUL. after nearly 200 hours put into ffvii remake, i still never figured that camera out or got used to it. ATB takes forever to fill up, and there will be times where there is a flying monster, or a monster that is "immune" to all attacks, and youre just standing there waiting for your ATB to fill up and you cant attack them to fill it up faster so youre screwed. meanwhile they are still tagging you with attack. that shit is infuriating. i hate the fact that limit breaks will be used and then it will go into a cut scene animation mid battle, and your limit break will be wasted and not used (it happened more times than i can remember, same if you just selected a magic or ability i believe). in general, abilities and magic can just straight up miss sometimes, which is bullshit. magic should always hit, no matter what. i cant fathom the reason they decided to do that. and im sure theres more complaints im not thinking of atm, but you get the idea...

the wasted potential in this game is enormous. the kingdom hearts-ifying and anime-ifying of it is embarrassing. the narrow, hallway like pathways everywhere is atrocious. the horrible sky boxes and shit tier textures were atrocious. just so many things went wrong with this game, and dont get me started on the story (i wont spoil anything for you, but there are some huge changes toward the end...)

i actually created a list of complaints as i played through the game, because i had so many as i was going through, i wanted to keep track of them all to discuss. you may not want to read it if you havent finished the game yet, its pretty light on spoilers but, still... also, i made the list as i played through the game, and i didnt go back and edit anything. so some of the complaints get corrected later on, or i change my mind or have a different perspective. or sometimes the question im asking was answered later on. it stupidly long, and a little bit whiny, but they are my raw, on the spot feelings of my first play through (only as it relates to things that annoyed me or i didnt like... i didnt make a list of all the stuff i did like, but i put 200 hours into that game, so i liked it enough lol)

• This one I wrote early on in the game. I somewhat changed my mind over the course of the game, as I realized it would be a little OP in certain situations to never be able to miss. However, there are enough times that crucial commands missed (including limit breaks are you fucking kidding me!?) that I had to make a comment about it
    • So, this is a usual for JRPG, and I kind of get, but at the same time I really fucking hate it. Why why why why do Japanese gaem dev’s think this is such a great idea. It’s so boring and just downright bizarre for there to be these perfect pathways through each level. Perhaps this is a loading thing, like they are having oyu run through these long corridors whil the next sections load… but other times it just seemed like they wanted to make the world feel larger by having run along absurdly long hallways from one destination to the next. Byt the end of chpter 14, I wasn’t as annoyed but still… enough with the corridor Square, enough.
  • Textures
    • Self-explanatory. The low-res textures are like N64 graphics. While the character models and other elements of the game world are some of the best I’ve ever seen! I dunno, maybe it’s another development thing I don’t understand. But it definitely takes you out of the game when you notice it.
    • This is another thing I felt different about by the end of the game. In fact, I almost deleted it off the list just now, but I wanted to keep it in as I know many others share the opinion, and I guess I kind of still do in some situations. To put things into perspective I sell all of my status ailment items. I don’t use any of them in battle because everything is moving so fast it’s not worth the time. So why even have them!? I also feel some of the strategy is lost with everything moving at break-neck speed, but like I said by the end of the game I had the hang of it. Still, a little slowing down of enemy attacks and movements would go a long way.
  • Map is weird and confusing, they should just show me the whole map, not break it down into weird sections
    • I hated how they laid out the map screen in this game. It was so weird how I could only see sections, never the big picture. Trying to figure out where I was or where I was going in relation to the rest of the game world was confusing. I don’t understand why they didn’t just give us a big map. Then I could have a better understanding of how each area relates to the other and really get a better feel for the game world, as well as not be confused as to where to go next.
  • Lock on in battle does not rotate with my character, so I’m constantly tryin to readjust camera position in battle
    • I tried adjusting the setting, but I couldn’t find anything that let me stay hard focused on an enemy. Especially after switching to another character, the game would have the camera facing in the wrong direction, and not on what I’m already locked onto. And sometimes I’d just be trying to move around the arena and would have to stop and adjust the camera. Just leave it focused on the fucking enemy I locked onto! It was infuriating when the battle was getting heated and I switched to another char only to have to adjust the camera first, and by that time (bc battle moves so god damn fast) the enemy could already be pummeling me and my other characters. This is a huuuuge complaint from me. If anyone knows how to address this, please tell me!
  • More interactivity in the world, searching book shelves, reading signs, other fun things like that
    • I loved searching pots, book shelves, barrels and other world items and finding hidden items in RPG’s when I was a kid. It’s something that’s been absent from RPG’s for along time, but I’d love to see it make a return. Spoon feeding my chests and stacks of boxes for items is boring and uncreative. Give me a reason to check out your beautiful game world by searching interesting looking things in the world. There doesn’t always have to be an item in there, it could just be something I search and text pops up saying “it’s a book about weapons and armor” or some such shit (hopefully more interesting than that but you get the idea). I feel it would go a long way to really fleshing out some of the game world, and give me a reason to explore and enjoy all of the artists hard work.
    • This must have been the point where I came around to being okay with some interruptions, but I still wanted less
  • Enemies exploding and hurting/killing me after they’ve already been “defeated”, at least keep me in attack/battle mode to let me know it’s not quite done yet! Or a warning or something
    • This some baby back bullshit. Some enemies will explode and damage you’ve after you’ve defeated them. And the worst part is, the game gives you zero indication that this is going to happen. In fact, the game has Cloud and gang put away their weapons and relax like everything is over and then BAM! 1,000HP damage. And I’m all “WTF WAS THAT!?”. Ugh, this one didn’t happen often but when it did it infuriated me. Like, give me a flashing red light, a timer, anything! Or at the least don’t have the party put their weapons away like the battle is over, bc it isn’t!
  • Stop putting me in a position where I can’t physically attack something, leading to very slow turns because I can’t fill gauge
    • This one I got a little better at as I went along. But I feel it still deserves a complaint. There were too many times I was in a situation where I was having trouble filling the ATB gauge. Some enemies will by flying around and spinning, which hurts you and is immune to physical attack, and since my ATB gauge isn’t full, I can’t use magic. So, I literally have to hold block, put myself in the path of this spinning death monster and use the damage I take as a way to fill my ATB. And since it doesn’t fill quickly, it takes kind of long time and really ruins the flow of battle. It’s not a huge thing for me as I got better at not putting myself in those situations as the game went on, but I still it deserves to be addressed.
  • Less fetch side quests. They don’t have to be super overproduced either but make the objective something more interesting. Here’s where you should be getting creative, not JUST fleshing out the world
    • The side quest ranged from okay to pretty uninspired to downright like doing house chores. I really think they can do better with this. I always reference Saints Row 2 when I’m having this discussion. Bc from what I remember that game had some super fun and creative side missions. I dunno, it’s a long time since I played that game so maybe I way off base… but I’d love to see more creative side quests content. Maybe have it led to mini games, fun platforming sections or something. A couple vanilla fetch quests or monster hunts is fine but it felt like it was like that for every single side quest.
    • I hate missing all of that stuff (especially in a battle where the enemy blows up after he dies, and I’m worried about running away so I miss all that!)
    • This ties into what I was saying before about hiding items in places like pots, barrels and bookshelves like they used to do in old school RPG’s. Additionally, I feel like the chests can be hidden even better. They did a better job than in most JRPG’s… but I think they can get even more creative here.
  • The stacked boxes of power ups, they dont have to be these weird out of place things, be more creative
    • Same thing here. This was a really big groan for me when I realized they were going to be a regular thing. It takes me right out of the game world to see those everywhere. And they didn’t even try to be creative with them, just these standard size boxes neatly stacked in the corner of every other room. So bizarre and uninspired. They could have made some of them wooden boxes, barrels, pots and pans, stacks of rubble, wood, trash etc
  • What’s up with all the items you can shit kick around, so weird and takes me out of the game. Literally hilarious and just so bizarre that they would add that in
    • This is the most head scratching and hilarious complaint of the list. I sut can’t for the life of me understand why they made all of these items so easy to kick around. And for no reason! Other than the moogle mini game where smash the boxes for points, there was basically no use for all of these items in the world. I remember one room where I was literally kicking around a dozen lunch tables and even more chairs (like a cafeteria or something) and I was cry laughing at how ridiculous and pointless it was. They need to do something with that or just remove it from the game because it’s really fucking stupid.
  • I like the level length, but if they are going to be the same looking rooms and corridors every new area then they need to be shorter. It’s exhausting
    • Pretty self-explanatory and ties into my corridor complaint earlier. The length of the game is certainly padded by these long corridors and room after room of the same looking environment and more hallways, more rooms, blah blah blah. It really got exhausting in the first half of the game. I will say that it got much better by the end. And Hojo’s mako lab was a big improvement over sections earlier in the game.
    • I also changed my mind about this one over time, but still, it’d be nice if they were a little easier to achieve…
  • Also, again with the battle speed, I never have time to watch the cool attacks and beauty animations bc everything is moving at break neck speed, sloooow down. Maybe allow the rest of the enemies and characters to pause while certain magic and abilities, limits or summons at being used
    • This one is a real shame. They put all that work into the animations and movements and I almost never got to slow down and appreciate them. I used to loooove watching all that stuff in the original. I’d love if they could pause for limits and summons, at the very least (although, I think it does pause a couple times for summons, like when they enter and leave, but not for any of their attack… boo)
  • Don’t make me sit there and wait to heal my players (out of battle), just let me use a potion as fast as I need. Yeah, we get it, the animation looks nice but if it affects functionality and fluidity of gameplay it probably needs to go
    • This bullshit right here. This is so head scratching I can only imagine they completely overlooked it, or they were so proud of their use potion animation that they let it stop me from using potions quickly and efficiently. Holding L1 to use multiple item was a great idea but making me sit there and wait for the animation to finish instead of just letting me use 10 in a row real fast is beyond dumb. They need to speed that up, or just let me do it quickly from the menu like in the original.
  • Stop slowing me down to a walk (maybe it’s for loading times?) it even happens when an area is not loading
    • I swear to god this happens at the dumbest times, where it’s not loading something, it’s just slowing my down to a walk and fixing the camera on something, completely forcing me to go one direction agonizingly slooooow. It’s so fucking stupid. Stop taking control away from or spoon feeding me which direction to go. I can figure it out, or at the very least, be creative in getting players to go where you want them to go, don’t force them into a slow ass walk, that is almost never a good idea.
  • Less pointless jumping/hurdling over things, walking across balance beam segments. It’s weird and slows everything down for no reason (loading?)
    • Again, maybe this a loading thing in some cases, but there were so many time where your character was jumpin over one steel beam or having to do a balance walk over a strut or whatever, and it felt so cheap and pointless. I can see doing some of that once in a while, but there was so much of it in every level it just bothered me.
  • Sections like grappling hook, or when Barrett uses his gun to blow rocks up, are not fun because they don’t feel natural, they feel like simulations and point and click, totally not fun and pointless.
    • This was such a shame because they had the right idea but it was executed poorly. Changin up the gameplay and being creative, like the part where Barrett has to shoot rocks to get through, was a great idea! But then they literally just had you hold triangle. You couldn't even aim the fucking gun arm by yourself, a dream I've had since playing the original in 97, are you kidding me!? You're one opportunity to let players fucking finally go bananas with Barretts gun arm and you fucked it up! Ugh, such a waste. Same thing with the grappling hook. It literally tells you where to point with a big circle arrow thing and then you just press triangle. Like, let me actually aim the grappling hook or the gun arm around, let me use it to get to different sections where you might have a hidden chest. You don’t have to spoon feed me every grappling hook point or which rocks to blowup, I can figure it out, and it’s more fun to give me control of the aim and have to explore the beautiful game world trying to find those points.
  • Ties into last one, stop giving me button prompts for every little thing, trust the player to be able to figure some of that stuff out
    • This is mostly a complaint about those little blue arrows every-fucking-where. Whenever there is a ladder, narrow squeeze through point or any kind of a jump it gives you these immersion breaking blue arrows all over it. It would have been so much more fun and given me reason o explore the world if they took those out, or let it be something I can toggle in the menu. I really think removing those would have gone a long way in making the world feel less plastic.
  • Why does a potion heal 350 HP and cost 50 Gil, while a hi-potion heals 700 HP and costs 300 Gil.
    • Was this to make it more punishing to use in battle? You lose a ton of hp in many battles, it’s doesn’t make sense to make me just have to buy potions, especially considering it takes so long to use them bc I have to wait for the animation to finish. By the end of the game I was just using Curaga spells and ethers, or I was running all the way back to a bench bc sitting there using potions with the slow ass potion animation took s long, if not longer, than just running a couple rooms back. Maybe it was exactly like this in the original, I can’t remember, but it seems fucking retarded to make buying regular potions more economical, but have it take forever for me to use them (ties into the potion animation complaint form earlier)
  • Why are enemies so much more powerful than me. There physical attacks hit me for hundreds and hundreds while I’m over here only hitting for 60 or 70 at a time. Sahagin prince for example hair feel insanely over powered. I barely scratch him while one of his attacks does 700 damage
    • This was a rage complaint while I was in the Shinra combat simulator. I still feel like it’s kind of a valid complaint though. Enemies really get at your HP in this game. Again, I got better as I went through the game, but I still would have appreciated a bit of a nerf on some of the harder enemies like Sahagin Prince (God I hated those fuckers when ever I cmae across them)
  • Why the fuck is the enemy intel (bestiary) not in alphabetical order. Why make it so hard to find the enemy I’m looking for?
    • Self-explanatory. This the dumbest shit ever. Put in alphabetical order you morons.
  • When I switch weapons, just remove all the material from the last weapon I was using, it makes it confusing when I’m looking through my list of materia, even though they are faded out, it still fucks with me
    • This complaint I went round and round with through out the game. Sometimes I liked that it remembered my materia, so that way if I switched back to that weapon, the materia I had on it would still be equipped and I wouldn’t have to redo it. Except, that by the time I got back to using that other weapon, my materia would be all moved around, or I’d have new materia or I’d have moved it form one char to another. By the end of the game, I just removed all materia from any weapons that any party member wasn’t using. This made it easier to manage in the menu. Still though, I think it could be useful, in certain situations, to have it remember materia for all weapon variants… meh…
    • The list disappears for some stupid reason and I have to scroll all the way back down to find equip the next piece of materia. Seeing how moving around materia can be strategic and helpful, navigating the menus needs to be easier and more fluid. As it is now, the list disappears and it show a big beautiful orb of materia, which yeah looks nice, but again if it interrupts functionality, there needs to be a change
  • Don’t give me “platforming” sections where I just make one button press or hold forward in the left stick, be more creative
    • Self-explanatory. Many of these sections you can literally just hold the left stick forward and get through it. It was a good idea to change up the pace and gameplay, but Square for the love of holy god please stop spoon feeding these sections to us like we are babies. It’s more fun for the player to have to figure these things out.
  • Stop making me hold triangle for buttons and stuff, it is beyond stupid. Is this another game design thing?
    • This one I don’t get. Maybe they are loading something, maybe they’ve found players like to hold triangle (lol), I dunno, but it seems pretty dumb. Just have me press triangle and be done with it, no reason to make players wait and hold something.
  • Stop throwing battles at me that make me change my materia before every fight. The enemies should be similar and have similar abilities. There are times where I’m constantly changing characters and materia be its tedious and annoying (hojo lab part)
    • This one I’m still on the fence bout. On one hand I love moving materia around and changing my set up to be more strategic, but on the other hand, I hate getting into battle only to realize I need to change my materia all around. So, if I die, I do exactly that, and I go back into the battle and win. But then, the next fight is something wildly different… so again, I have to die first and then go in, change my materia, go back into the battle and then I win. I felt like I had to do that too much in areas where all the enemies should have been similar and I shouldn’t have had to do that. It got really tedious especially toward then end with all the boss battles and various monsters in hojo’s lab/mako lab area.
    • I added this in because I don’t think that scene could have been more perfect.
Well, I don’t imagine anyone is going to actually read all that, but I feel better having bitched and moaned bout all my little gripes. Let me end this book of a post by saying that I loved the game and I feel Square can chalk this up to a victory. But they have a lot of work to do (and let’s not get started on what the hell they are thinking with the story parts towards the end... for the record thoguh, i don't mind it all that much, the rest of the original story is still intact... but yeah the whole changing destiny thing is bizarre, and if you're not seeing the kingdom hearts parallels here then you are not looking very hard... the giant monster itself at the end of the game looked a lot like that giant black monster you see all the time in KH).

but in the end i really enjoyed the game and im looking forward to the next installment. i just dont shy away from criticizing something, even if its one of my favorite series like FF or doom. and then there comes a time where the way they are making the game just isnt for you anymore. we'll see how part 2 goes, then i will have to decide if i am still a fan of FF or not. i think itll be alright and ill enjoy it, i just hope they open up the game world a bit and slow down combat... those two things would make me very happy.

i dont agree with everything this guy says, or how he says it, but it was straight up cathartic watching this video because i mirrored so many thoughts that a lot of us are having or have had about square over the last 15 years or so. again, maybe dont check it out until youve beat the game, but he hits the nail on the head on some things (and is just kind of a douchebag about other things, but hey, they cant all be winners can they...)

Will go after some random ones.

"why does a hi potion cost way more than a regular potion"

Because getting back twice as much health is more than twice as useful.

"status curing items are too hard to use which makes them not worth it"

it's rarely any challenge to use them unless you are in a 1v1 fight, just switch characters before you use them and they aren't any harder to use than magic

"enemies do too much damage and have too much health.".

This was just never really an issue, yes some enemies are more challenging than others but I think that's a good thing and I wish there were more enemies on the level of the sahagin. They are more powerful than you because you are smarter than them and are allowed to heal.

"too many interruptions"

I think it's fine that you need to time your attacks so they don't get nterrupted.

"game should slow down for limit"

Nah, I like that they are real moves and you have to plan around them, they already make the character doing them invincible.

"ATB fills too slow"

worst-case scenario you have to wait and block an attack or two. it's far from a pace killer

This game wouldn't be Final Fantasy if it weren't extremely anime-inspired, I think they doubled down on it in the DLC and that was a big improvement. If you think FF7 hasn't always been an extremely anime game you weren't paying much attention. Rather than IT being Kingdom Heartsified, it's more that kingdom hearts was always heavily inspired by Final Fantasy 7.

I do think the dungeon design in these games could be way better. But I don't really think they have glaring issues. I just think the environments are cool and want to see really interesting dungeons in them, But I don't really find that the corridors are super long or anything, I admit that they are still very fun enemy gauntlets, I just personally want to be doing crazy anime acrobatics through these areas rather than just running through them.

I totally disagree with the game being too fast or ATB filling too slowly though.

First, there's the obvious aspect of you being able to pause the action at any point whenever you need to target something or think, But I played mostly using shortcuts, and the entire time I was just wishing the enemies would be more aggressive and need me to dodge and block more actively.

A flaw I do want to see fixed is the ability to tell teammates to stay in a specific spot. I think the AI is usually great, except for when you just want Aerith to hang back and do spells.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Will go after some random ones.

"why does a hi potion cost way more than a regular potion"

Because getting back twice as much health is more than twice as useful.

"status curing items are too hard to use which makes them not worth it"

it's rarely any challenge to use them unless you are in a 1v1 fight, just switch characters before you use them and they aren't any harder to use than magic

"enemies do too much damage and have too much health.".

This was just never really an issue, yes some enemies are more challenging than others but I think that's a good thing and I wish there were more enemies on the level of the sahagin. They are more powerful than you because you are smarter than them and are allowed to heal.

"too many interruptions"

I think it's fine that you need to time your attacks so you don't need to be interrupted.

"game should slow down for limit"

Nah, I like that they are real moves and you have to plan around them, they already make the character doing them invincible.

"ATB fills too slow"

worst-case scenario you have to wait and block an attack or two. it's far from a pace killer

This game wouldn't be Final Fantasy if it weren't extremely anime-inspired, I think they doubled down on it in the DLC and that was a big improvement. If you think FF7 hasn't always been an extremely anime game you weren't paying much attention. Rather than IT being Kingdom Heartsified, it's more that kingdom hearts was always heavily inspired by Final Fantasy 7.

I do think the dungeon design in these games could be way better. But I don't really think they have glaring issues. I just think the environments are cool and want to see really interesting dungeons in them, But I don't really find that the corridors are super long or anything, I admit that they are still very fun enemy gauntlets, I just personally want to be doing crazy anime acrobatics through these areas rather than just running through them.

I totally disagree with the game being too fast or ATB filling too slowly though.

First, there's the obvious aspect of you being able to pause the action at any point whenever you need to target something or think, But I played mostly using shortcuts, and the entire time I was just wishing the enemies would be more aggressive and need me to dodge and block more actively.

A flaw I do want to see fixed is the ability to tell teammates to stay in a specific spot. I think the AI is usually great, except for when you just want Aerith to hang back and do spells.
Oof, so much I disagree with here. But we would be here all night 😂 Glad you dig it so much tho, just different takes

Fredrik

the biggest one being that status ailment items are completely useless. even on hard mode i never had to use them (edit: i forgot you cant even use items in hard mode, so nevermind that). and even if you did need to use them, the combat is so fast and frantic that there is no time! i sold every single antidote, echo screen, etc because they simply were better for the little bit of gil i got than actually trying to use them in combat.

• Textures

Thank you for this! Aligns with my thoughts so far. I actually died at the first boss… I mean, I just don’t understand how to play it, it’s FF7 in name, character and setting but the gameplay is something else. It’s too frantic. Feels like getting Hyrule Warriors when you expected Breath of the Wild, it’s just all over the place dipping it’s toes in all kinds of popular gameplay styles and simply miss the target, imo. FF7 had a ton of strategy in the combat, every target had it’s own strategy, that’s what I liked, but here it’s like I’m just mashing or run around dodging until I can do an ability, or build up enough hits for a limit break. The combat is literally broken compared to old school FF7, even in Classic they don’t really let you play strategically.

I’m gonna try finish it anyway because I’m a fan of the original and visually they’ve certainly done a good job recreating the world and characters. But putting Demon’s Souls on hold for this feels like I’m wasting my time, I’m going from literally one of the best remakes to one of the worst.

Lethal01

Thank you for this! Aligns with my thoughts so far. I actually died at the first boss… I mean, I just don’t understand how to play it, it’s FF7 in name, character and setting but the gameplay is something else. It’s too frantic. Feels like getting Hyrule Warriors when you expected Breath of the Wild, it’s just all over the place dipping it’s toes in all kinds of popular gameplay styles and simply miss the target, imo. FF7 had a ton of strategy in the combat, every target had it’s own strategy, that’s what I liked, but here it’s like I’m just mashing or run around dodging until I can do an ability, or build up enough hits for a limit break. The combat is literally broken compared to old school FF7, even in Classic they don’t really let you play strategically.

I’m gonna try finish it anyway because I’m a fan of the original and visually they’ve certainly done a good job recreating the world and characters. But putting Demon’s Souls on hold for this feels like I’m wasting my time, I’m going from literally one of the best remakes to one of the worst.

I think this game is far more strategic than the original, the problem is that it's far too forgiving. There is a strategy for every enemy, especially the bosses. But even if you don't figure it out and play terribly you can still win just by healing a ton, I'd say that is actually something that makes it more like the original. Since even in the OG it's just as easy to beat everything the game throws at you just by attacking and healing.

That said while I disagree on it being any less tactical than the original and think it actually gives you more to think about you are totally right in saying that it's become a fast-paced game. Personally, I think they've done a fantastic job of weaving useful elements of the original combat system in to make what I consider to be the best video game remake. But I'm not trying to tell you what to think or anything. If you didn't want a realtime game out of this remake I get that.

But if you do keep on playing feel free to ask about anything that's giving you trouble, I'll take any excuse to talk about it.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I think this game is far more strategic than the original, the problem is that it's far too forgiving. There is a strategy for every enemy, especially the bosses. But even if you don't figure it out and play terribly you can still win just by healing a ton, I'd say that is actually something that makes it more like the original. Since even in the OG it's just as easy to beat everything the game throws at you just by attacking and healing.

That said while I disagree on it being any less tactical than the original and think it actually gives you more to think about you are totally right in saying that it's become a fast-paced game.
Can’t see it. But I likely play it wrong, I died after all. My strategy at the first boss was to mash at it’s weak point from the back, roll until the bar allowed some abilities, stand behind the wall at the laser attack and heal a lot. And in the map I guess there were some strategy since I had to swap to Barret to take out some turrets higher up. But compare it to something like Demon’s Souls and it’s simply bad, there is no way around that. And if you downgrade the strategy in an RPG, what is left? A walking simulator and story. I know they’ve changed the story though so maybe that’ll be the saving grace for me.

Lethal01

Can’t see it. But I likely play it wrong, I died after all. My strategy at the first boss was to mash at it’s weak point from the back, roll until the bar allowed some abilities, stand behind the wall at the laser attack and heal a lot. And in the map I guess there were some strategy since I had to swap to Barret to take out some turrets higher up. But compare it to something like Demon’s Souls and it’s simply bad, there is no way around that. And if you downgrade the strategy in an RPG, what is left? A walking simulator and story. I know they’ve changed the story though so maybe that’ll be the saving grace for me.

Compare it to demon souls in terms of what? I can totally agree that Demon souls stomps it when it comes to level design, but FF7 s the clear winner when it comes to combat. It's definitely got more strategy than demon's souls or OG FF7 so I don't really see any reason to talk about what you get if you downgrade the strategy in an RPG.

Remake is too forgiving though, my perspective is colored by selling most items.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Compare it to demon souls in terms of what? I can totally agree that Demon souls stomps it when it comes to level design, but FF7 s the clear winner when it comes to combat. It's definitely got more strategy than demon's souls or OG FF7 so I don't really see any reason to talk about what you get if you downgrade the strategy in an RPG.

Remake is too forgiving though, my perspective is colored by selling most items.
Both are RPGs with lots of action but from what I’ve seen so far Demon’s Souls has better and more varied action and force you to learn how to use your character build and weapons and use more strategy and less mashing.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OK finished this.
Never played any FF game before. I am 32 so ff7 was a bit too weird looking when I was a kid.
But as ps5 version came out, why the hell not to try it.

Oh wow. I am kinda speechless. I am not a fan of jrpg genre. The combat was very fun on easy though (switched from normal to easy around chapter 12 because of the SPONGE enemies).
The graphics, music, ART were all amazing and better than I could've ever expected. The pacing was weird but story and characters are very engaging.
The ending left me saying WTF is going on both in awe and questioning what is happening.
Generally, it is a special game unlike anything I've played before. Not a perfect game game but an experience.
Cast of original characters and original world concepts are super unique compared to nowadays games.

I am glad it was not a loot game at all. The inventory and materia was kinda weird but not a lot of it to manage.
Now I am interested to watch original ff7 playthrough of midgar chapter (as I understand)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
update - People seem to absolutely hate it buy I've just got FF XV for steam. It was like 13 usd so why not.
Is there DLSS update for it like other games recently? I will start it tomorrow after work...

Ixion

Got around to the DLC last week and knocked it out. The first chapter was just OK since it was more of an intro/training chapter, but the second chapter was really cool. I loved the moody, mechanical areas with the perfect music to go along with it. Just like the base game, this DLC really gives you some goosebump moments when everything comes together.

Also, Yuffie is portrayed well. She's the cute/bubbly type, but not to the point where she's annoying. Instead she's actually pretty funny. And Scarlet's mature smugness made her a perfect antagonist to Yuffie.

And yeah, the combat was even better than the base game. Being able to throw and control your shuriken, and quickly warp to it, took the combat (especially the air combat) to another level. And then being able to sync your moves with Sonon then took the combat to an even higher level.

There isn't much the DLC adds in terms of overall story, but it's a fun time and I'm glad they made it.

The Shepard

OK finished this.
Never played any FF game before. I am 32 so ff7 was a bit too weird looking when I was a kid.
But as ps5 version came out, why the hell not to try it.

Oh wow. I am kinda speechless. I am not a fan of jrpg genre. The combat was very fun on easy though (switched from normal to easy around chapter 12 because of the SPONGE enemies).
The graphics, music, ART were all amazing and better than I could've ever expected. The pacing was weird but story and characters are very engaging.
The ending left me saying WTF is going on both in awe and questioning what is happening.
Generally, it is a special game unlike anything I've played before. Not a perfect game game but an experience.
Cast of original characters and original world concepts are super unique compared to nowadays games.

I am glad it was not a loot game at all. The inventory and materia was kinda weird but not a lot of it to manage.
Now I am interested to watch original ff7 playthrough of midgar chapter (as I understand)

You should try and play the original ff7 remaster on ps4/5. It's usually pretty cheap in sale and incredibly easy thanks to the boosters you get, speed up battles, instant limit breaks. Can complete in 20 hours easily. I think the original is the best game of all time. I love the remake to, the combat/music are excellent. I won't spoil it for you but not all is as seems in the remake and playing the original wont spoil the next parts of the story as much as you'd expect.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Got around to the DLC last week and knocked it out. The first chapter was just OK since it was more of an intro/training chapter, but the second chapter was really cool. I loved the moody, mechanical areas with the perfect music to go along with it. Just like the base game, this DLC really gives you some goosebump moments when everything comes together.

Also, Yuffie is portrayed well. She's the cute/bubbly type, but not to the point where she's annoying. Instead she's actually pretty funny. And Scarlet's mature smugness made her a perfect antagonist to Yuffie.

And yeah, the combat was even better than the base game. Being able to throw and control your shuriken, and quickly warp to it, took the combat (especially the air combat) to another level. And then being able to sync your moves with Sonon then took the combat to an even higher level.

There isn't much the DLC adds in terms of overall story, but it's a fun time and I'm glad they made it.
How much is it? Been thinking about getting back into it.

Ixion

How much is it? Been thinking about getting back into it.

Looks like it's still $20. It took me about 7 hours to beat it, along with most of the side activities. Only things I haven't done is beat the Fort Condor grandmaster (which is a pretty cool mini-game) and beat the new optional superboss, Weiss. If you're a fan of the main game, I'd say it's worth it. Especially if you're going to play it more than once.

cormack12

Gold Member
So, started playing through this and just gor to chapter 7. Playing on normal, pretty happy with my progress and the various systems etc.

The only things that are pissing me off is the various missile launchers and sentry guns. Most sentries are too high for cloud/tifa and it's hard to get near the missile launchers to wail on them.

Ultimately the problem is the same, I just don't have the MP to hit the thunder so am running round with barrett while cloud and tifa get ass fucked. Any tips?

Pantz

Oh, hey.

Just came across a FF7R video on youtube. It seems that around 10 days ago, that Tifa mod most people would think of, is now completed.

Climbing those monkey bars, everything free to the wind...

Pantz

Joined Sep 21, 2006

I have just realized you're one of the oldest members of this forum.

Uh, anyway what video are you talking about senpai?
Ahh I still feel pretty new here. I was mostly a lurker until after the forum split, then became more active.

Just search search 'tifa nude mod', to be more clear :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Pantz

Tifa's classic outfit. Did they make the right choice by changing it?
Hate to say it, but it does look a little more out of place than her new outfit does in this world. It would have been nice to officially have as an unlockable.

She looks pretty interesting as Cammy.
Cloud as well, looks rad in camo pants.

Will this ever come to Steam???? :(

Just picked this up at the Epic sale. $39.99

I’m a casual FF fan. Only played a few. 6,7,9 and 10 I liked. Couldn’t get into 8 and the hype for 13 got me back into gaming. Didn’t like 13 enough to even get halfway through and have skipped everything since.

But 5 hrs into this remake and I’m having a great time. I’m hooked. Gives me nostalgic JRPG vibes big time. I’ll be looking for more like this if the quality keeps up!

Top Bottom