• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I beat it, it was pretty great overall. I wasn't expecting to be able to retain my experience and materia for Hard mode, I might actually give that a try. What are you supposed to do for MP regeneration? The only ability that I think I was aware of that did that was Aerith's Soul Drain or whatever and it didn't seem to be giving me very much back so I barely ever used that, kind of wondering how they expect you to get through some areas if you can't use items or benches for MP.
Soul Drain works 10x better when you use it on a staggered enemy.

A big source of MP usage is healing, so in order to save MP, don't take damage, haha. Kick, punch, it's all in the mind block dodge, and buff your DPS so that you kill shit before it kills you. If you mitigate your damage well enough, the benches should be enough to heal you.

In lieu of that, use Prayer with that healing buff accessory. Or, use Big Bertha Barret with Lifesaver, and Chakra, and only use Chakra when in the red to take advantage of the extra healing when critical weapon perk.

Enemy Skill materia is helpful, as you get spell-like attacks without having to use MP. If you connect it with HP absorb, you can recover lots of HP using both the ice aura and life siphon skills. Keep in mind that enemy skill power scales with magic stat.

Killing trash mobs with Cloud using First Strike Materia and Triple Slash is efficient and safe.

Killing trash mobs with Aerith using magic + magnify is also effective as long as you use it sparingly enough to keep your MP full with occasional soul drains and whatever MP recovery you get from Shinra boxes. Pair up that magic + MP absorb and you'll also recover some MP from those spells but that takes up 4 materia slots.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

I beat it, it was pretty great overall. I wasn't expecting to be able to retain my experience and materia for Hard mode, I might actually give that a try. What are you supposed to do for MP regeneration? The only ability that I think I was aware of that did that was Aerith's Soul Drain or whatever and it didn't seem to be giving me very much back so I barely ever used that, kind of wondering how they expect you to get through some areas if you can't use items or benches for MP.

I was a bit skeptic with hard mode but this is when the game shines the brightest. Go for it!

Focus on abilities that don't need mp, especially prayer for healing the whole party.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Basically,

DPS will solve all of your problems.

Sign

I love this track.

Also I don't mind Roche but I wish they'd flesh him out a little more than just being an anime trope.

I agree in spirit, but I'm okay with it considering how much of this game's world and characters are supposed to be ambiguous during Midgar. I think it helps that. . .

(End of game spoilers)

Everyone around him thinks he is a crazy asshole. Him being only 3C and not showing up at the end tells me he will be re-occurring as well. I did find it interesting that Cloud goes from riding his bike normally during the opening of jessie's mission to doing crazy stuff at the end. By the closing of the game he has the same sort of showmanship as Roche. Kinda reminded me of him hugging Tifa because he sees Barret do it.

And it is a great track.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I agree in spirit, but I'm okay with it considering how much of this game's world and characters are supposed to be ambiguous during Midgar. I think it helps that. . .

(End of game spoilers)

Everyone around him thinks he is a crazy asshole. Him being only 3C and not showing up at the end tells me he will be re-occurring as well. I did find it interesting that Cloud goes from riding his bike normally during the opening of jessie's mission to doing crazy stuff at the end. By the closing of the game he has the same sort of showmanship as Roche. Kinda reminded me of him hugging Tifa because he sees Barret do it.

And it is a great track.
Good point about Clouds behavior.

Sign

Good point about Clouds behavior.

It may end up being coincidence, but there is a really strong attention to detail in this game so I would not put it past them. For example Cloud and Tifa bobbing their head to the Stamp song when it is on the jukebox.

(Chapter 8 spoilers)

When Aeirith gives Cloud back his materia and she says she has one too, she leans forward like she is listening for the response she knows he will give. At first I thought she was digging something out of her pocket but the camera actually focuses on her ear, and she looks confident afterwards like it proved her theory.

Some weapons have really high MP regeneration talents that help a lot.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It may end up being coincidence, but there is a really strong attention to detail in this game so I would not put it past them. For example Cloud and Tifa bobbing their head to the Stamp song when it is on the jukebox.
Yes, given what OG FF7 players know

about the true nature of Cloud's personality, him mimicing others is a subtle hint about that.

Fbh

Finished it yesterday. I've been avoiding threads as to avoid spoilers.
Overall I really liked it, hands down my favorite Final Fantasy since X and the first time in years I'm actually excited for the future of the franchise.

I enjoyed most of the expanded story and areas and the combat is fantastic and didn't make me miss the turn based system at all. It's one of the few action based JRPG's that has done a great job of still making me feel like I'm playing as a party of characters instead of a single character supported by an AI team. The bosses in particular make the whole combat system shine on top of being pretty dynamic, looking great and having a "cinematic" feel to them with some cool mid fight cutscenes that are short enough to not outstay their welcome.

The presentation is a bit hit or miss. At times it looks like a top of the line AAA game and then at others it suddenly looks like a mid budget game (the whole Sector 5 area in particular). At times it has fantastic vistas and then at others the midgar.jpg background really stands out in a negative way. But at least it looks great in the places where it counts the most and overall I'd still call it a great looking game.

Finally I enjoyed the way they presented the story, the character interactions are mostly great, I liked how they fleshed out some of the side characters and I liked how the more silly parts of the plot were still kept in. I'm not the biggest fan of some of the Nomura-style additions to the story, specially towards the end, but overall the story was presented way better than I expected when he was introduced as the director

Last edited:
Finished it yesterday. I've been avoiding threads as to avoid spoilers.
Overall I really liked it, hands down my favorite Final Fantasy since X and the first time in years I'm actually excited for the future of the franchise.

I enjoyed most of the expanded story and areas and the combat is fantastic and didn't make me miss the turn based system at all. It's one of the few action based JRPG's that has done a great job of still making me feel like I'm playing as a party of characters instead of a single character supported by an AI team. The bosses in particular make the whole combat system shine on top of being pretty dynamic, looking great and having a "cinematic" feel to them with some cool mid fight cutscenes that are short enough to not outstay their welcome.

The presentation is a bit hit or miss. At times it looks like a top of the line AAA game and then at others it suddenly looks like a mid budget game (the whole Sector 5 area in particular). At times it has fantastic vistas and then at others the midgar.jpg background really stands out in a negative way. But at least it looks great in the places where it counts the most and overall I'd still call it a great looking game.

Finally I enjoyed the way they presented the story, the character interactions are mostly great, I liked how they fleshed out some of the side characters and I liked how the more silly parts of the plot were still kept in. I'm not the biggest fan of some of the Nomura-style additions to the story, specially towards the end, but overall the story was presented way better than I expected when he was introduced as the director
The low res textures stuff (ie the door to Cloud's room) is a big and they've stated that they would fix it in a patch but the lockdown situation is making it difficult.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Also, does anyone ever use Cloud's ability Disorder? I feel like triple slash is better for overall DPS.
Update on my thoughts: Disorder is handy to use in skill rotation along with Skill Master materia to get ATB refunds.

Disorder is also useful when you tell the AI to use it since it automatically puts it into punisher mode. The AI always tends to switch back to operator mode when I'm not in control and it's annoying.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I’m in chapter 9 now, and I think this remake is very well made, but I also am not hooked on this game like I wanted to be. FF7 is my favorite game ever and I know recapturing nostalgia is close to an impossible task, but some of the game feels fleshed out in a good way... like the more intimate scenes between the characters and developing their relationships. And other things not so much. Like the stupid hunt quests and the linear areas where you can’t really do anything but run in a straight line.

It feels bloated just to make the game long enough to consider it a full title.

Chapters 6 and 7 especially felt like such a waste of time. In terms of core gameplay like puzzle solving and traversing areas, it had ps3 level simplicity to it.

I guess it’s just the nature of jrpgs though. Whether it’s budgetary or vision or what have you, they will never match western RPGs in terms of immersion and the ability to interact with an environment and make a world feel alive. Jrpgs are always built on combat, charm, and gameplay and this is no different.

Still think they did a good job overall.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Does anyone else think that the really tight camera is a performance optimization technique? As in, the game is only rendering what is on camera at any given moment, so that a wider field of view might be more taxing on the vanilla PS4. The game looks amazing most of the time, and they had to cap it at 30 fps, so I'm assuming that they also threw in every optimization trick in the book so that it could run on base PS4 as well as it does.

Kev Kev

I’m in chapter 9 now, and I think this remake is very well made, but I also am not hooked on this game like I wanted to be. FF7 is my favorite game ever and I know recapturing nostalgia is close to an impossible task, but some of the game feels fleshed out in a good way... like the more intimate scenes between the characters and developing their relationships. And other things not so much. Like the stupid hunt quests and the linear areas where you can’t really do anything but run in a straight line.

Chapters 6 and 7 especially felt like such a waste of time. In terms of core gameplay like puzzle solving and traversing areas, it had ps3 level simplicity to it.

I guess it’s just the nature of jrpgs though. Whether it’s budgetary or vision or what have you, they will never match western RPGs in terms of immersion and the ability to interact with an environment and make a world feel alive. Jrpgs are always built on combat, charm, and gameplay and this is no different.

well said, couldn't agree more. i also still really liked it but i recognize that it has flaws. and that jrpg flavor is just off putting to me, sometimes i like it but... most of the time it comes off as plastic, like im going just through the motions

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
In Japan, FF7R has sold more physical copies in 3 weeks on PS4 only compared to the first 3 weeks of FF15 which was on both PS4 and XBOX

1位 あつまれ どうぶつの森(Switch)任天堂:1,286,742本
2位 ファイナルファンタジーVII リメイク(PS4)スクウェア・エニックス:839,074本
3位
バイオハザード RE:3(PS4)カプコン(244,640本)
4位 聖剣伝説3 トライアルズ オブ マナ(PS4)スクウェア・エニックス:80,383本
5位 聖剣伝説3 トライアルズ オブ マナ(Switch)スクウェア・エニックス:70,114本

ソフトランキング2位には、83.9万本を販売した「ファイナルファンタジーVII リメイク」(スクウェア・エニックス/2020年4月10日発売/PS4)がランクイン。「ファイナルファンタジーXV」(スクウェア・エニックス/2016年11月29日発売/PS4・Xbox One)の3週時点82.8万本(2機種合計・累計104.8万本)を上回っており、パッケージ版単独でもミリオン達成が期待されます。

FF7R (PS4) 839,074 copies vs FF15 (PS4 and XBOX) 828,000 copies

Very impressive. And that's even with all the Corona stuff going on.

D.Final

Banned
In Japan, FF7R has sold more physical copies in 3 weeks on PS4 only compared to the first 3 weeks of FF15 which was on both PS4 and XBOX

FF7R (PS4) 839,074 copies vs FF15 (PS4 and XBOX) 828,000 copies

Very impressive. And that's even with all the Corona stuff going on.

I would prefer to avoid talking about sales data in this discussion, if possible.
Because there are already other discussions regarding that topic.

And, furthermore, I would like to try to keep this discussion of FFVII Remake OT as clean as possible from further unnecessary topics.

To concentrate alone on talking about our experiences with the game

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I would prefer to avoid talking about sales data in this discussion, if possible.
Because there are already other discussions regarding that topic.

And, furthermore, I would like to try to keep this discussion of FFVII Remake OT as clean as possible from further unnecessary topics.

To concentrate alone on talking about our experiences with the game
Well, alrighty then. Seemed relevant.

D.Final

Banned
lol some people are very particular when it comes to certain things 🤷‍♂️

Trust me, it's the best choice.
It's just to try to keep this discussion as clean as possible.
(since this OT is not dedicated to the general game discussions such as sales, comparisons, wishes, ideas, and including information on its sequel)
It is for the good of all to keep this discussion dedicated only to opinions, user stories about their experience with the game, and help and advice to dedicate exclusively on the game itself and nothing else.

Hard mode has been fantastic. The more I understand the mechanics the more I thoroughly enjoy the combat.

Also found this: http://webmshare.com/play/WxGLM

I also liked the hard mode.
Although I didn't find it very difficult

sublimit

Banned
I have finished the game some days ago but i need some time to let it sink a bit and think about it a bit more. All in all i have very mixed feelings about it... If i had to give it a score i'd give it a 7/10.

SantaC

The low res textures stuff (ie the door to Cloud's room) is a big and they've stated that they would fix it in a patch but the lockdown situation is making it difficult.
developers cant work from home with digital meetings? It is year 2020 right, and I have no problems doing my IT work from a home office.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
OP give me a break with the thread moderation, wow lol. There was no chance that post was going to derail the thread, why you gotta be like that. Your huge bolded posts take me more out of the discussion than someone sharing a link about how well the game (that we are in the OT of) sold.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
OP give me a break with the thread moderation, wow lol. There was no chance that post was going to derail the thread, why you gotta be like that. Your huge bolded posts take me more out of the discussion than someone sharing a link about how well the game (that we are in the OT of) sold.

I'm just trying to prevent off-topic creation.
Because here we discuss, rightly, only the game of FFVII Remake.
(not of its sales, not of comparisons with other games, and not of its sequels, etc ..)

I have finished the game some days ago but i need some time to let it sink a bit and think about it a bit more. All in all i have very mixed feelings about it... If i had to give it a score i'd give it a 7/10.

I've had also mixed feelings with Final Fantasy VII Remake.
(even if i've enjoyed most of the time)

Nymphae

Banned
I'm just trying to prevent off-topic creation.
Because here we discuss, rightly, only the game of FFVII Remake.
(not of its sales, not of comparisons with other games, and not of its sequels, etc ..)

I don't see how it's off topic, your OP doesn't have conversation or content stipulations.

Berating posters for posting news about the game in it's own OT feels more off topic to me than what he posted. He's talking about the game reception, in the game OT.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
I don't see how it's off topic, your OP doesn't have conversation or content stipulations.

Berating posters for posting news about the game in it's own OT feels more off topic to me than what he posted. He's talking about the game reception, in the game OT.

Mine is a simple order request, I told you it's just something that I asked for as order security.
(because I have faith in the community, and in the good sense to avoid possible derailments of the conversation)
But since you are talking about "content stipulations", then I will personally update the OT.

Again, this is not a "general" conversation on Final Fantasy VII Remake.
This is a conversation about the game, game experiences, game opinions, advice, help, and unparalleled opinions, and stop.

Everything else, like sales, ideas, comparisons with other games, news conversations, free spoiler, or sequel discussions, are all Off-Topic conversations here.

D.Final

Banned
Still ignorable lol, and I think your posts are more off topic than relevant news items.

Think what you prefer.
I prefer to talk about the game.

The most curious chapters, for me, are chapters like chapter 4.
That deepen the character of the secondary characters.

Nymphae

Banned
I prefer to talk about the game.

And police the discussion topics others bring up. No one is preventing you or others from talking about the game content in a more focused way. I don't need new threads for every piece of news content related to a game tbh, I always thought that's what OTs were for actually. Game discussion and relevant news that might not be particularly thread worthy on their own.

D.Final

Banned
And police the discussion topics others bring up. No one is preventing you or others from talking about the game content in a more focused way. I don't need new threads for every piece of news content related to a game tbh, I always thought that's what OTs were for actually. Game discussion and relevant news that might not be particularly thread worthy on their own.

Actually, OTs don't always work this way.
Or, at least, they don't have a single way or rule of how it works.

In this case, I tried to create this conversation to expressly and exclusively talk about the game, the opinions on it, and its contents.
The purpose of why I made this OT is to focus exclusively on the game, on the opinions of users, and nothing else.

This is why I tell you that, to try to maintain a certain order as I thought of keeping it, I ask that each topic have its own place and its own space for conversation.
[the research section of the OT has thi purpose]
And therefore not all together, creating a mixture of confusion which, in time, could only inevitably worsen the experience of all those who will play the game for the first time, and where perhaps they were only looking for strategies and advice on the game.

Obviously it may seem overly restrictive, but if it is necessary to have everything in order, clean and without unnecessary disputes or Off-Topic, then I am happy to put these rules for the sake of users and conversation.
(beyond the convenience of how one wanted to think it)

I leave here the new rules that I wrote for the conversation.
And I want to end this conversation in the most peaceful way possible.

To try to keep order in this conversation, I will clarify the basic points, and its rules.

1- in this conversation it is possible to speak freely about the opinions of the game, and only about the options of the game.

2- In this discussion you can give any kind of help and suggestion, in order to help and give advice to players in difficulty with the game.

3- images, videos, trailers can be posted (official only related to FFVII Remake 1), but you cannot freely post too spoiler images for the main plot.
(such as final Bosses, filmed sequences of chapter 16/17 / and 18 in particular)
And try to cover as much as possible any spoiler with the appropriate forum spoiler tag.

4- it is allowed to speak only of news concerning expressly and exclusively the videogame sector of Final Fantasy VII Remake (1).
[like DLC, patches, or free game updates]

In this conversation there is a ban on:

1- talk about things unrelated to the game, including news about the sequels, sales data, spoilers and spiler articles dedicated to the game from other sites.

2- prohibition from attacking, or denigrating, users' personal opinions related to the game.

3- complete and total prohibition to compare this game with other games, in order to avoid unnecessary and unpleasant Off-Topic.

4- total ban on posting material considered as Spoilers, such as the examples mentioned above, and it is forbidden to post any other Spoilers without first having used the Spoiler function of the site.

5- ban on creating conversations, here, about news unrelated to the game of Final Fantasy VII Remake (1).
Including news regarding sales data, news on the sequel, on spoilers, on hypotheses for hi sequels, etc.....

(if you have other questions, send me a PM)

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
^ Not OT or derailing but posters need to be scolded for posting sales numbers. Have fun policing the way people want to discuss a game they're enjoying.

D.Final

Banned
^ Not OT or derailing but posters need to be scolded for posting sales numbers. Have fun policing the way people want to discuss a game they're enjoying.

I want keep the conversation about the Final Fantasy VII Remake game as clean as possible, then I'll do my best.
For the sake of all users and readers of this conversation.
(if you have other questions, send me a PM)

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I want keep the conversation about the Final Fantasy VII Remake game as clean as possible

Policing the thread in this way does nothing but annoy people, your ongoing conversation remains unaffected by people occasionally posting news relevant to the game.

Or, at least, they don't have a single way or rule of how it works.
Obviously it may seem overly restrictive, but if it is necessary to have everything in order....

It's not necessary for anything, no one is being prevented from discussing anything or getting lost in the thick woods of a single post about how the game is being received in the market.

D.Final

Banned
Policing the thread in this way does nothing but annoy people, your ongoing conversation remains unaffected by people occasionally posting news relevant to the game.

It's not necessary for anything, no one is being prevented from discussing anything or getting lost in the thick woods of a single post about how the game is being received in the market.

I ask you to end this useless OFF-Topic, that I have already finished.
(since I've already said everything)

Follow the rules of this conversation otherwise, if you want to continue the conversation, do it elsewhere but no longer here!
(since you're ruining the current game conversation)

nowhat

I want keep the conversation about the Final Fantasy VII Remake game as clean as possible, then I'll do my best.
I was going to post a "get a room!" image, but instead, I'll try to be constructive. I get that D.Final D.Final wants to keep the thread "on topic". Which is good and all. But if someone posts something about physical sales or whatnot, not directly related to the game but still of interest to the readers, I think that's perfectly fine. That post would probably have received a few thumbs up and that's it, that would have been the extent of the not-so-on-topic content.

Instead there are so many messages that are quite meta, and not related to the game at all. I understand and up to a point appreciate the sentiment, but the end result... well. Didn't turn out so great now did it.

Nymphae

Banned
I ask you to end this useless OFF-Topic, that I have already finished.
(since I've already said everything)

Follow the rules of this conversation otherwise, if you want to continue the conversation, do it elsewhere but no longer here!
(since you're ruining the current game conversation)

I'm not going to belabor the point any further as I think it's been made clear. If I think there is some interesting news relevant to the game I want to share that isn't worth a brand new thread, I'll be posting it here and you can blow your whistle all you want.

D.Final

Banned
I was going to post a "get a room!" image, but instead, I'll try to be constructive. I get that D.Final D.Final wants to keep the thread "on topic". Which is good and all. But if someone posts something about physical sales or whatnot, not directly related to the game but still of interest to the readers, I think that's perfectly fine. That post would probably have received a few thumbs up and that's it, that would have been the extent of the not-so-on-topic content.

Instead there are so many messages that are quite meta, and not related to the game at all. I understand and up to a point appreciate the sentiment, but the end result... well. Didn't turn out so great now did it.

This happens when you meet people who are totally ignorant of the will of how a user, with a lot of effort and commitment, tries to keep a clean conversation on a videogame.

I'm not going to belabor the point any further as I think it's been made clear. If I think there is some interesting news relevant to the game I want to share that isn't worth a brand new thread, I'll be posting it here and you can blow your whistle all you want.

If you violate the rules, I'll report you to the moderators.
And i assure you that I will not hold back after your highly disrespectful and zealous behavior towards what is the method in which I wanted to build this OT with commitment and passion.
(for the sake of readers and users, an asset that you yourself decide to arbitrarily ignore for your exclusive personal interest)

D.Final

Banned
Now we come back to talk about the GAME

oJmZdYu.gif

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Imagine reporting a user for posting a news item about FF7Remake in the FF7remake OT. Good luck with that.

Go on blind-dude...

If you ignore the rules, posting things not related to the game of Final Fantasy VII Remake itself, I will report you to the moderators.

Nymphae

Banned
If you ignore the rules, posting things not related to the game of Final Fantasy VII Remake itself, I will report you to the moderators.

The rules you literally just came up with and posted into the OP 45 pages into it, as though you have some sort of authority to control what game related topics people are allowed to discuss in the OT for that game?

Nymphae

Banned
Is there any spoiler thread for the game? Just finished and I'm confused lol.

Top Bottom