• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

ZZZZ

Just finished the game, liked it a lot but not really happy about the ending. I absolutely hate the whispers , formless things with no personality to be one of the final bosses? booring

I'm in for the ride though, the battle system is very cool, they nailed the characters and I'm excited to see new areas that are not slums, sewers and modern buildings. Hopefully they don't go too crazy with the changes to the story.

FFXIV is better
I can't get into MMO's anymore.
I heard good things about shadowbringers though.

There's a new interview.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Dude you just put a Drakengard 3 endgame spoiler in a FFVII thread, WTF.
UnnaturalLazyAkitainu-size_restricted.gif

TheAssist

Man. I can not get enough of this game. It just does not go out of my head.
Played it on normal and hard, defeated all the bosses, maxed everything out. Got 92 hours on the clock. Last single player game I played for that long was The witcher 3.
Watched the full lets play from max, watched nyxipuff's reactions, watched a speedrun and honestly I still want to revisit this world, so maybe I'm just gonna watch death unites us's lets play as well.
I can not remember when a games has enthralled me this much.
The gameplay doesnt get boring, the graphics are amazing, the music is among the best this industry has every brought to the table, the story is better than it has ever been, the voice acting is just phenomenal, hard mode is really cool. There are a few hick ups here and there with the pacing, the textures bug is a pitty but other then that its as close to a perfect game as I'll ever get. Feeling like a little child. Especially after so many other games have left me kinda cold, this has been a breeze of fresh air.
It felt like an actual adventure with interesting people and I went through sooo many emotions. Like when was the last time I felt anything with a game o_O. This made me laugh and cry and angry and anxious, but also happy and left me interested and at the edge of my seat.

Sorry I cant be objective about this game. It gave me back some of my youthful bliss and I dont wanne let go. This game is pure comfort.
Cant wait for the next game, but I hope they take all the time they need.

Dacon

Banned
I don't even want to fucking read that linked thread, just looking at the mountain of text is a testament to how they made the plot even more unnecessarily convoluted in the dumbest way possible.

ZZZZ

I don't even want to fucking read that linked thread, just looking at the mountain of text is a testament to how they made the plot even more unnecessarily convoluted in the dumbest way possible.
SMT and Nier is convoluted as hell and i love it, it's just a matter of how you execute.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

What are you talking about? The plot is simple. Big bad anti-environment corporation must be stopped, but
the creatures of fate keep you locked in place, following a strict and linear path that opens up with new possibilities once you defeat them.
. It is only complicated if you make it complicated.

Dacon

Banned
What are you talking about? The plot is simple. Big bad anti-environment corporation must be stopped, but
the creatures of fate keep you locked in place, following a strict and linear path that opens up with new possibilities once you defeat them.
. It is only complicated if you make it complicated.

In the wake of the ending there were literally pages and pages of people who didn't understand the ending and thought it over-complicated the game's relatively simply plot at this point in the original.
People are literally talking about there being 3 fucking Sephiroths, and on top of all the new information the Ultimania adds, and Zack being alive

No one is "making" it complicated outside of the writers themselves, that's a ridiculous assertion. It makes an already convoluted story even more so.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

In the wake of the ending there were literally pages and pages of people who didn't understand the ending and thought it over-complicated the game's relatively simply plot at this point in the original.
People are literally talking about there being 3 fucking Sephiroths, and on top of all the new information the Ultimania adds, and Zack being alive

No one is "making" it complicated outside of the writers themselves, that's a ridiculous assertion. It makes an already convoluted story even more so.
It's still the first game, any deep story if you only read 20% of it will feel complicated and convoluted, give the writers a chance.

Mr.ODST

Loved this game, platinum and now waiting for the next gen buff its probably going to get, you could tell even though the game was beautiful it was clearly downgraded for this gen, next gen should sort that out! Hopefully comes to Xbox

TheAssist

Right now it seems convoluted because there are so many different theories out there and everyone is mixing and matching. In the end only one will be canon and after that is clear, it wont be as hard to understand. Obviously they had to leave a lot of thing ambiguous because they want people to keep guessing until the next game.

I always thought the original was everything but a simple story. There is a lot going on and a lot of vital information is completely optional and many players might never see it (Zacks story, Professor Gast and Aerith's mom, Sephiroths mother and Vincents relation to her, Yuffies whole backstory, some info about the ancients and the weapons, etc.). there are 45 minute long summaries of the story on youtube that make your head spin. God knows how many pages those scripts are. I wouldnt call that easy to understand. But, and thats the important take away, many people perceived it to be a simple story, because for most it was a story about cloud and his party. While all the complicated story stuff was going on in the background, most players could focus on the characters and their stories. And I think the remake still does that. You can completely enjoy the ride with those great characters and kinda look over the plot ghosts until the last chapter. Even then, just enjoy the boss fights and wait till the next part to make everything maybe make some amount of sense.

I personally dont understand it when people say, just because you dont get it within the first watching, it automatically is bullshit. I mean my limited mental capacity of understanding it doesnt make it bad. Because I certainly didnt understand everything and I still dont, but looking at all the themes and theories going on makes me so much more engaged with this world. Its crazy how much people can read into all the subtle details. A lot of it is simply lost to us westerners because of cultural differences and language barriers. There is lot of of references to Japanese history and culture. Also sephiroth uses different phrasings in japanese that are hard to translate into other languages, so the fact that there are different seph's kinda gets lost, even though its much more obvious in japanese.

Of course its ok not to like that kind of story telling, its just that I and it seems a lot of people really like it and hopefully you can understand that in some way.

Shouta

It's really not that convoluted, not anymore so than the original FF7. A lot of what we got in FF7 remake is just reusing shit we got from the original in a different form. Multiple Sephiroths showing up? That was already a thing. The only thing that's really new at all is the potential timeline shenanigans and whispers but everything else should be old hat if you're a fan.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's really not that convoluted, not anymore so than the original FF7. A lot of what we got in FF7 remake is just reusing shit we got from the original in a different form. Multiple Sephiroths showing up? That was already a thing. The only thing that's really new at all is the potential timeline shenanigans and whispers but everything else should be old hat if you're a fan.
Yup. 95% is the same stuff, just repackaged in a slightly different way to make things fresh and interesting.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The game isn't really that convoluted, if you compare it with something like Kingdom Hearts

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Multiple Sephiroths has always been a thing. Just because there are "pages and pages" of people who didn't understand the ending doesn't really mean much.

The only one "making" it complicated are folks like you.

Dacon

Banned
Multiple Sephiroths has always been a thing.

So let's just throw some more in, I guess.

Yeah multiple Sephiroths existed before, which is why we don't need any more in the mix.

The only one "making" it complicated are folks like you.

New timelines, characters having cryptic knowledge, visions of the future, previously non existent story concepts, time janitors, dead characters coming back to life?

Yeah, I'm the one who made it complicated.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So let's just throw some more in, I guess.
It doesn't seem any more than before, as it currently stands.

New timelines, characters having cryptic knowledge, visions of the future, previously non existent story concepts, time janitors, dead characters coming back to life?
Yeah, I'm the one who made it complicated.
It's really not that different. Only until it becomes different. But we don't know that yet. Either way, it was fun and enjoyable,

TheUsual

Gold Member
I've been slowly taking my time through this game and finally finished the first playthrough last night.
Really, really enjoyed the game mechanics but god damn did a lot of the content seem like padding.

The amount of boss fights and phases to boss fights at the end (talking Chapter 14 and beyond) was just tedious to me.

Definitely will go back and level up my materia and go through the combat simulator stuff again.

Cool plot line stuff...not too hard to follow but had to reread stuff on the original plot to refresh myself.

Aggelos

Isnt that the version already on the current album?

It's not about the version, it's about the real orchestral powah. The album unleashes the real and genuine orchestral powah.
Using digital samples and orchestral libraries on Steinberg CUBASE is one thing (for music production), but the real orchestral powah is a force to be reckoned with.

"The FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Orchestral Arrangement Album will be available in anticipation to the FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Orchestra World Tour!

Enjoy the magnificent world of FFVII REMAKE under the direction of Arnie Roth, producer and conductor of the Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY concert series."

TheAssist

It's not about the version, it's about the real orchestral powah. The album unleashes the real and genuine orchestral powah.
Using digital samples and orchestral libraries on Steinberg CUBASE is one thing (for music production), but the real orchestral powah is a force to be reckoned with.

"The FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Orchestral Arrangement Album will be available in anticipation to the FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Orchestra World Tour!

Enjoy the magnificent world of FFVII REMAKE under the direction of Arnie Roth, producer and conductor of the Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY concert series."

Holy shit they have a world tour. Wow cool. Now I am looking to get ticket for that :D. Thanks man!

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just bought this game today and have already played it for 9 hours. I think this is definitely going to be my game of the year. Very glad that this is the first game I'm playing on my new PS5 (besides Astro's Playroom).
I'm just reminded why FF7 has always been my favorite Final Fantasy game and the remake has lived up to my expectations so far. The awesome characters, the story, the music, the graphics, the gameplay, the locations, etc...
So good

Ixion

Apparently one of those ReeesetEra insiders has been saying a full PS5 version is in the works, which you'll have to pay for. Probably why the PS4 version only has improved load times when playing on PS5. I just hope that if they're making us pay for it again, that it's worth it. Part of the rumor was that they'll also be adding cut content like a section where you play as Tifa leading up to her Don Corneo infiltration. If they do add more stuff, hopefully it's good and feels necessary, and hopefully they also fix the bad textures and just generally improve the visuals to make things even more sexy.

I just bought this game today and have already played it for 9 hours. I think this is definitely going to be my game of the year. Very glad that this is the first game I'm playing on my new PS5 (besides Astro's Playroom).
I'm just reminded why FF7 has always been my favorite Final Fantasy game and the remake has lived up to my expectations so far. The awesome characters, the story, the music, the graphics, the gameplay, the locations, etc...
So good

Yeah, I mentioned in another thread that I would give this game an 8.something rating and that this isn't quite an elite Final Fantasy, but I'm now almost done with a second playthrough via the New Game+, and I'm enjoying the game even more the second time. I think this is more like a 9/10 and I would put it in the upper echelon of my FF rankings. Like you said, in all the general categories that make up a Final Fantasy, this game really nails it across the board. There are flaws like the poor textures here and there, a couple unnecessary sections, and some invisible walls feeling forced on occasion (which is why I wouldn't give this a 10/10), but in general this game really does nail it.

• A great setting with locations/backdrops that leave you in wonder
  • A cool, likeable cast of characters
  • An elite soundtrack
  • Slick-as-fuck combat that combines the flair of Advent Children with the turn-based tactics of classic Final Fantasy
  • Epic set pieces and bosses that get you pumped up
  • And of course an engaging story, which personally I think is made more interesting with the new direction this series is taking with the approach of having the alternate timeline that still exists within the overall universe, which allows for new freedom while still feeling part of the official story

Obviously if you're someone who really needs their RPGs to be open-world, then I can see you being more disappointed, but I think there's an upside to a linear, focused adventure like this. Especially since this game gives you explorable towns and a bunch more branching paths and things to discover throughout the "dungeons" than something like FF13.

If you know me, you know I'm a huge FFX fanboy, and this is really the first game to feel like a well-done follow-up to FFX (along with obviously being a nice follow-up to FF7, which is my second favorite FF), so I'm really happy with this game. And I'm sure the sequels will only get better.

the_master

The thing I would like to expand on, a lot, is the upper plates of Midgar.
I fot a bit tired of the slums and the poor neighborhoods. They where not cyberpunk enough either.

GOTY for me. I can't wait for the PS5 patch. It is also hard to forgivethat there is no info on it, fur such a great recent and exclusive game. It is a crime we don't have the patch or even a date

ZZZZ

Picked up a ps5 after not having a PS4 and want to play this super bad, but don’t want to buy it if there really is a new version coming soon. What do you guys think?
I'd bet on a GOTY version/ complete version/ 2.0 version or w/e it's going to be called coming soon, when i mean soon, it will probably take another 6-8 months together with the PC and Xbox version.

Ixion

They're really adding a lot of filler to the entire story, aren't they?

Thank God Dragon Quest has Yuji Horii writing the story. Square is filled with pretentious writers that turn even the simplest of stories into a convoluted mess for the sake of it.

I think it’s cool what they’re doing with this game story-wise. And as others mentioned, it’s really not that complicated.

Sephiroth triggered the creation of an alternate timeline at some point, and the timeline is trying to correct itself, but looks to have failed by the end of the game. So you basically have two timelines living within the same overall universe, which gives this series freedom to have new surprises while still largely following the original story beats (and it’s all canon within that overall universe). That’s what Part 1 did and Square assured us that’s how the following parts will work too.

The leadership behind the FF7R series are the same leaders who brought us the two most iconic Final Fantasy games ever (FFVII & FFX), and they’re going to spend probably 10 years at least on this series alone. And Part 1 was mostly very high quality, so all in all I think it’s understandable and more importantly exciting that they’re basically taking us into a new uncharted adventure (that will also largely give us the nostalgic remake we wanted as well).

Last edited:

Lethal01

Wait, not even a slight improvement?

I think it had a dynamic resolution so maybe that could be running a bit higher now that I think about it, You'd have to check. Hopefully they atleast implement a 60fps patch, it would really be to easy for me to make excuses for them if they don't.

Top Bottom