• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Soundtrack sucks

Kev Kev

Should have had the option to buy in or unlock the original music like RE2 remake. Which also has shit music btw outside of HUNK and Tofu's themes.
They should have? So the dozen or so people who wanted could be happy? Just go back and play the original, sounds like the remake isn’t for you.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
It's soundtrack is pretty good, but my problem is that there is a sort of clash in style with it. Some songs are slavishly devouted to the Uematsu originals. But then you have a lot of stuff that is very trancey and Hamauzu-y.

Mikey Jr.

Music is the most subjective thing in the world, next to art.

I think it is amazing. Look how well it goes with this scene...

I love this scene so much, and the music goes so well with it.

peronmls

You're right, but people will hate you for it.
Nowadays there's this trend of making all songs be performed by an orchestra + choir, and this sucks balls, as it completely butchers the original feeling.

Just look at the recently released Demon's Souls Remake to have an idea of how awful some songs translate to an orchestra/choir:

Little things like this is this reason I'm keeping the Original Demon's Souls and Nier (PS3).

Screw that. Great game, great soundtrack.
Final Fantasy VII Remake is this
N8hG0A4.jpg

Batiman

Banned
Finally started playing it yesterday and enjoying the game and soundtrack so far. I don’t know why they changed some memorable beats in some of the tunes though. Me humming the tunes in my head as I play and noticing some great sections of the tracks are just not there anymore...

Also is the game as linear the whole time or does it open up a bit as it goes on? Will be disappointed if it stays like hallway the whole game. It is a really beautiful game though. Not sure how I feel about the combat yet

Finally started playing it yesterday and enjoying the game and soundtrack so far. I don’t know why they changed some memorable beats in some of the tunes though. Me humming the tunes in my head as I play and noticing some great sections of the tracks are just not there anymore...

Also is the game as linear the whole time or does it open up a bit as it goes on? Will be disappointed if it stays like hallway the whole game. It is a really beautiful game though. Not sure how I feel about the combat yet
It's a hallway the whole game. Also don't get your hopes up about the story.

I honestly don’t know how the soundtrack could be any better, they actually improved it. It’s clearly a troll post, how can he judge something after 2 minutes. It’s like I leave the cinema after 2 minutes and saying the movie is trash...

No the soundtrack is pretty good. Some of the new songs are not that great though. And your last comment about grinding is very confusing. There is zero need to grind in FF VII, be it the old one or the remake.

Also, you should probably brace yourself that this game is not the old FF VII but in fact a totally new game.
Yeah, it's a really cool game and it does feels like an alternate FFVII. I can understand that because how else are you going to remake a 25 tear old game? But c'mon, why the need to change the soundtrack? Just why? There was no need, you could leave exactly the same soundtrack and it would have been amazing.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
You're right, but people will hate you for it.
Nowadays there's this trend of making all songs be performed by an orchestra + choir, and this sucks balls, as it completely butchers the original feeling.

Just look at the recently released Demon's Souls Remake to have an idea of how awful some songs translate to an orchestra/choir:

Just wanted to come in here and say that Demon's Souls remake is an entirely different ordeal and conversation. Those dudes were literally trying to make a soundtrack for a game called 'Bloodborne 2'. They didn't miss the mark, they intentionally jumped over the mark and made what they wanted to make, which was extremely Bloodborne inspired as you heard from the beginning of the interview with the composer. The problem is that Demon's Souls and Bloodborne don't share any DNA at all aside from the dodge roll and R1 attack, so creating that connective tissue through music doesn't make any sense.

At least FF7R retained the key sounds and the ebb and flow of the original's soundtrack instead of bringing in the orchestra everywhere to provide 'epic' sounding filler.

Madflavor

jkJRFbTY_400x400.jpeg

Remake's soundtrack is so fucking good and arguably a shoe in for the best Video Game Soundtrack in recent memory, that this is one of those times where I genuinely can't tell if I'm being trolled here. It's just such an outrageous claim to make, only a moron would say Remake's soundtrack sucked.

Last edited:
Don't be. It's pretty simple.

Preconceptions can have a very powerful impact in the way we perceive and critic things. In this case OP was influenced by feelings of a 25 year old game being the best in the world so obviously nothing short of exactly the same game would have been satisfactory. He was actively avoiding the game before because he knew it wouldn't be on par to what he feels about the original game.

I'm a big fan of the original. It's the first RPG I played all the way to the end. It changed the way I saw games. Pretty powerful stuff. I recently started playing the remake and I'm enjoying it for what it is. Fortunately it is not exactly what the OG was because by any objective metric that game has no place in modern gaming. It's not a game changer either. It is what I would imagine a baby between a Yakuza game and FFXV would be.
The game is cool but if there's one thing you can leave as is, it is the soundtrack.

I'm on Chapter 6 since a free game is a free game. Anxious Heart sounds awful, most of the OST doesn't hit right but it isn't complete garbage. Under the rotting pizza is probably my favourite tune in the original game and it sounds like ass.
Thank you, my favorite is "let the ballet begin" and they ruined it. I mean, it sounds almost the same but they actually remixed it and changed the song structure so now there's not a build up, it sucks.

Exactly this. My biggest problem is with the song "let the battle begin" which was the one playing when you were in a battle. That tune had really memorable beats that I remember 25 years later. The thing is the song is in the remake, but I don't know why they decided to keep some parts of the song out, I first u thought it was some copyright issue and they weren't able to put the exact same song so they had to do a remix without the best parts. That's how that song feels to me.

Lethal01

So, moving past the fact that OP is objectively incorrect.

The original soundtrack was obviously great I hope do more osng like they did this one.

Just for a bit, during phase 3, it pulls the style straight from the original and combines it with the new style for something great. was an epic moment, would love to see it in more big boss battles.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Is it ever going to be available to buy but not on expensive vinyl?

Or Apple / Spotify?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Even if like me you're not an huge fan of over orchestrated tracks, this OST is huge and there's plenty of new stuff and new takes on old classics that it's ridiculous making a thread after just few minutes of playtime with a claim like that. Keep playing and things will get pretty varied and wild going forward, including synths!

Last edited:

Perfo

It's probably for the distant world concerts. They are probably going to make a final fantasy 7 remake distant world concert tour after all of ff7r finally releases.

It's actually going on already :D (though Covid is making this one especially challenging).

NahaNago

It's actually going on already :D (though Covid is making this one especially challenging).
Weird. I would think that you wouldn't be able to have a choir and less seating due to Covid. Plus the orchestra would have to be spread out even further allowing for fewer musicians.

TheAssist

I like both the orignal and the new one. They are somewhat different and carry slightly different emotions. I can totally relate to both and cherish the existence of the old and the new.

Imho its the best soundtrack of this generation, the only time I bought the whole OST (which was as expensive as the actual game with it being 7 CD's) and I still listen to it regularly.

I get that some people mind not like the direction, because it does carry a different tune and creates a different atmosphere, but saying its horrible or trash is just....sorry but its stupid. Its different and thats about it. Everything else is your own opinion and you should phrase it like that. Its not an objective truth. And as you can see, most people quite like it.

Perfo

Weird. I would think that you wouldn't be able to have a choir and less seating due to Covid. Plus the orchestra would have to be spread out even further allowing for fewer musicians.
Lots of them have been moved forward compared the original dates because of the emergency. You can check here if curious: https://ffvii-remakeconcerts.com/

Last edited:

Valorant

Neo Member
I'm getting tired of the over-orchestrated stuff for video games. FF7R's OST is imo the musical equivalent of watered-down milk and I'm not even a fan of the og game.

Boneless

The soundtrack is good, but the original was better.

They shouldve simply gone for orchestrated versions of the orginal, like this one:

They also should have only fleshed out the story, but not change the core storyline.

A shame, with a lot less effort, the could have made the remake a lot better.

Hugare

The soundtrack is good, but the original was better.

They shouldve simply gone for orchestrated versions of the orginal, like this one:

They also should have only fleshed out the story, but not change the core storyline.

A shame, with a lot less effort, the could have made the remake a lot better.

Orchestrated songs for the whole soundtrack wouldnt fit in. It would be horrible.

Even the original had a lot of synths and different instruments that gives an industrial / tech vibe that's VERY important for the game's atmosphere

SkylineRKR

Soundtrack is good but Let the Battles begin appears in about 6 different renditions. I feel the danger of the Shinra theme less. But Jenova absolute is pretty good, and some Let the battles begin remixes are great.

The OG soundtrack was great but sounded like ass in the game because of the quality.

I like this one more

Last edited:
Top Bottom