• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake TGS Trailer

Thabass

Well, that's your opinion. But a game that was defining for my childhood is something worth taking seriously enough for me. That's because I care about the game and that I wouldn't want a remake to bastardize it. If Cloud got portrayed the inverse of what he was in the original, I would mind. Same with any other character. I imagine you have more than enough things you like that you'd not like being completely changed. It's not like I'm unique here, you'll find most people have gripes when characters are changed or when story beats are changed. I mean, we're literally at a gaming forum, taking a game seriously is what we kinda do.

I'm not trying to say you shouldn't take it seriously. But you're...digging into it a bit more than maybe you should. It's a remake, things will change. I don't think anything you have said is a big a deal as you're making it out to be. And sure, I'm like this to a point when they remade MGS: Twin Snakes for the Gamecube. There's a lot of issues I have with that game, but I still enjoy it for what it is.

You seem to be in another world where you won't enjoy it if it's not as close as the original as possible. At least from these least few posts it seems like anyway. But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Myths

Looks great, impressed that they kept the Don Corneo scenario in tact. The boxing minigame was a joy to see, was always a funny scene when they dude looked up to big bro hard af.

I liked the previous trailer but not this one. This one makes the game look like anime trash where everything is just cutesy and a joke. The whole point of avalanche is that the planet is dying. Cloud’s best friend died and is having an identity crisis. The game should be gloomy as fuck but they seem to want to market it as something else.

Bleh.

mortal

Gold Member
Made a shitload of gifs.
PKfET0Y.gif

L4HfAVE.gif

JFmos1D.gif

X9qSgno.gif

QWBCKi2.gif

m2mjHBt.gif

dCpfx8w.gif

6qzBl1T.gif

u6hEyI6.gif

6sZjm3L.gif

myxBfpG.gif

wqbo6xj.gif

skLZtc1.gif

0vxxK5x.gif

HZhVMgl.gif

93hTPu7.gif

nADudjk.gif

dHAMWp9.gif

OW6xdRM.gif

8Er0Pn4.gif

bvaP2CY.gif

I'm not trying to say you shouldn't take it seriously. But you're...digging into it a bit more than maybe you should. It's a remake, things will change. I don't think anything you have said is a big a deal as you're making it out to be. And sure, I'm like this to a point when they remade MGS: Twin Snakes for the Gamecube. There's a lot of issues I have with that game, but I still enjoy it for what it is.

You seem to be in another world where you won't enjoy it if it's not as close as the original as possible. At least from these least few posts it seems like anyway. But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Sorry, but caring about characterization isn't "diggin into it a bit more than maybe you should". Nor is caring about the design, even so more when it's iconic. It's not like we're talking about random NPC in the slum, we're talking about a memorable character that had numerous interactions and was a part of your initial group and who was the first person experiencing interest in Cloud.
People trying to pre-emptively getting ahead of things by accusing you of being pedantic when you're criticizing the game is annoying. Say you don't mind changes to characterizations, sure, but don't try to dismiss it as pedantic.

Javthusiast

Banned
Looks amazing and I have zero nostalgia, since I never played the original, to be biased towards it. ;)

Last edited:

Thabass

Sorry, but caring about characterization isn't "diggin into it a bit more than maybe you should". Nor is caring about the design, even so more when it's iconic. It's not like we're talking about random NPC in the slum, we're talking about a memorable character that had numerous interactions and was a part of your initial group and who was the first person experiencing interest in Cloud.
People trying to pre-emptively getting ahead of things by accusing you of being pedantic when you're criticizing the game is annoying. Say you don't mind changes to characterizations, sure, but don't try to dismiss it as pedantic.

I'd argue that the Avalanche characters were a very small part of the story and not as "iconic" as you make them out to be. But, I see your point, I guess. I see them more as being more fleshed out and more characterized. Especially since the Midgar area is being more fleshed out. I'm happy to see more of how they change her for the Remake.

ROMhack

I liked the previous trailer but not this one. This one makes the game look like anime trash where everything is just cutesy and a joke. The whole point of avalanche is that the planet is dying. Cloud’s best friend died and is having an identity crisis. The game should be gloomy as fuck but they seem to want to market it as something else.

Bleh.

Yeah, that's kinda how I feel. I think they're trying to propel the characters to the forefront but I wasn't enamored by the cast of FFVII much to begin with. Story was pretty good. Gameplay was solid. But a lot seems to have changed judging by this direction of the game. I only played the game last year so don't have as much nostalgia as somebody else might have - I imagine it probably looks really cool if you're in that bracket.

Edit: I'll probably buy it anyway.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
This one makes the game look like anime trash where everything is just cutesy and a joke
Not sure about "cutesy" or "trash", but are you sure you're remembering the original properly?

The art style of the original 1997 version was literally inspired by anime. It also had plenty of light hearted and comedic moments throughout the narrative. FFVII arguably wasn't really a gritty, or somber game. The creative direction of the remake is taking the cinematic approach to a even more stylish and bombastic direction.

Last edited:

DonF

Im hyped for this game. I'm so lucky I was a pirate in the ps1 era, my cd 2 never worked correctly, so I only played disc 1 and never progressed any further.
I'll have the bliss of experiencing this game for the first time in this glorious form... I hope they don't remove/censor those bits everybody is talking about... I hope its true to the original.

base

Banned
It's happening. Wow, I got old. Played the game when I was around 10 yrs old. A friend of mine introduced me to the demo in Corel.

Game looks phenomenal! It's a relief that the silliness of the original was kept (hopefully they keep the line "Let's mosey"). I just hope the new additions don't bog down the pacing. Other than that, everything from the combat to the locations is on point.

But seriously though, how long is it gonna take for SE to develop the full game? Will the final part come out in 2030?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Looks shite, I mean, did y............

Wait...

Does frog cloud have a mini fucking buster sword on his back?

SOLD.

On Xbox. Bwhaha :) Though I will be honest, I may just have to double dip...

Birdo

Banned
I swear Rude's race changes every time he shows up.

He looked kind of Latino in the original art. Then black in Avent Children. Now he looks white.

Last edited:

Aranea

Gamestop just announced this pre order bonus. Too bad i will miss this as i pre ordered the game from Amazon when it was discounted.

NahaNago

Just watched it and am not as impressed as the last trailer but I realise that's an unpopular opinion so I'll go stand in the corner.

I'm actually the opposite. this trailer actually has returned my hype for the game now. I'm still kinda mixed on how all of the characters look though.

Nickolaidas

I love how Cloud is all 'Oh holy whackamolee ...' as he gazes upon beautiful, beautiful Aerith.

I always thought that the monsters of FFVII were flat out stupid in concept, but now I see that it was all the PSX's technical limitations. Fuck, this game is probably going to have one of the best bestiaries ever.

At this point I am seriously considering postponing buying this in order to buy the PS5 version and enjoy it in all its high-specs glory.

Joe T.

I value fresh, new IPs over sequels and sequels over remakes, so I'm almost ashamed to admit that this game has captured my attention like no other over the course of this generation (the nostalgia is strong). I have some minor reservations about some of the voice acting, but aside from that it continues to surpass expectations. Here's hoping they won't need a decade or more to deliver the final chapter.

Pantz

Gamestop just announced this pre order bonus. Too bad i will miss this as i pre ordered the game from Amazon when it was discounted.

Dammit,

Already bought it digitally but might need to put in a second order to get this stupid thing.

stickkidsam

Well god damn... there's a lot to unpack here. So many cool details to look at and a metric FUCK TON of questions raised! My butt is ready for all the squats!!

That said, this trailer kinda sucked. It's full of a lot of cool things (goofy anime nuttiness and all), but my first impressions left me kinda blanking on what the hell I just watched. This felt less like a trailer and more like an ADHD fever dream made by someone who was afraid we'd get bored if they didn't keep smash cutting to something new every 2 seconds. Personally, I liked the previous trailer better.

You better believe I am hyped for this reunion, but I'd like to see Square actually try to calm down for a second to build up some anticipation. BREATHE Square BREATHE!!

latest

Fei Fong Wong

Neo Member
Looks amazing. The music is great while holding true to the original composition. I’m interested to see how much Biggs, wedge and Jessie play into the story because they were such minor characters before. It was also great to see the Turks and some of the iconic scenes I remember from the first game. Midgar was such a great introduction to the original game. I have no idea how they plan on pacing all of the content and what additional content they add. This trailer was a great confirmation of the original story points from the game that remain intact. I can only imagine what else they are building to make this entry a “full release”.

Ownage

Hopefully there'll be a mute button so we don't have to listen to voice acting, and instead text-based only. Also, still on the fence that this isn't a turn-based RPG.

Top Bottom