• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Should Never be Remade

Controversial?

After beating Grandia and being amazed by the opening of Vagrant Story, I decided to go back and play Final Fantasy VII for the, I don’t know, sixth time or something. I was going to play Vagrant Story, but after said amazing opening, the game proper started and I opened the main menu and was confused to the point of being scared off entirely.

Ah, familiar old Final Fantasy VII, how I love you. And I do, because it’s perfect, and should never be remade. Have a poll of gamers though, and it’ll probably come out on top of a list of remakes desired by gamers, every single time.

Here are the things you’d have to change in a remake, for it to have purpose as a remake:

The music would have to be updated, probably to something like the rockier Advent Children soundtrack. It doesn’t sound like much of a change, but when you play Final Fantasy VII you realise how perfect the music is as it is. You can come back to the game after five years and hear a familiar piece of music and instantly it transports you back in to that exact place in the game. I imagine many people could hear a piece of music and know right away where in the game it places them. Changing the music loses this familiarity, and instantly it’s just not Final Fantasy VII any more. It just won’t feel like Final Fantasy VII.

The graphics, of course, would need to be overhauled. This is a terrible idea. Not only are the backgrounds at the moment totally gorgeous, but the character models are near essential for the lighter moments of the story. With the Advent Children style models, everything feels grittier and more real. Imagine dressing Cloud as a woman at Wall Market and then the ensuing farce in Don Corneo’s room if the Advent Children models were used. It just wouldn’t feel right any more. It wouldn’t feel authentic. The super-deformed anime style of characters in Final Fantasy VII allows for these comic moments by making them appear almost cartoon-like, and it doesn’t harm the more emotional moments.

You can only hope that Square-Enix would leave the story entirely alone, and but for a few typos, the script is perfect as it is. The battle mechanics, too, are excellent. They’re almost basic next to something like Grandia but the depth in the materia system and the variety in enemies and their weaknesses more than makes up for it.

So you have to ask yourself, if remaking any part of the game will result in a game of lower quality than the original title, why on earth would anybody want it to be remade? Final Fantasy VII: it’s perfect how it is.

This is all moot if they decide to make a full set of 1/35th soldiers have some effect on something, though. That would more than make it worthwhile and I’d feel a little less like I wasted my childhood collecting them all.

StuBurns

Banned
It's pretty low in the list of FFs I care about, even lower in the list I'd rather see remade. But I imagine they will.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ahh, my favorite video game related discussion.

Let us begin, shall we?

rvy

Banned
toythatkills said:
Imagine dressing Cloud as a woman at Wall Market and then the ensuing farce in Don Corneo’s room if the Advent Children models were used.
77329__final-fantasy-vii-fanart-cloud-crossdress-wall-market-costume.jpg

Blablurn said:
against.

it will come. for sure. so much money on the table. can't wait for the day they will announce it.

It's been like 8 years of speculation with this.

Will come with Shenmue 3 and Dreamcast 2.

Jack-Christian-Hug-300x168.jpg

Move on, guys.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
There's no way a remade Final Fantasy 7 would live up to everyone's expectations anyway. Why bother? They already milked the hell out of the Final Fantasy 7 world with 10 squishillion spinoffs in various media.

Cipherr

I would rather 6 get a full high budget remake. Or even a handheld remake.

toythatkills said:
Imagine dressing Cloud as a woman at Wall Market and then the ensuing farce in Don Corneo’s room if the Advent Children models were used.

Lightning.

I totally agree.... I always cried out loud for the remake, but after replaying the game the last time... it hit me.

This game is perfect... the feelings it gave you will be ruined in the remake.

Just leave this like it is now.... a frozen masterpiece in time <3

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
SovanJedi said:
There's no way a remade Final Fantasy 7 would live up to everyone's expectations anyway. Why bother? They already milked the hell out of the Final Fantasy 7 world with 10 squishillion spinoffs in various media.
Are you saying that flying around as a vampire, shooting demons in a nonsensical environment while listening to Gackt in the background isn't something all FFVII fanboys have been dreaming of doing since 1997?

I'm finding it completely hilarious how they are seemingly planning on remaking every other Final Fantasy game several times over without ever getting around to VII.

StuBurns

Banned
I almost feel like they need to make the 7 remake just to apologize for the 7 milking ironically. They've put those fans thru so much shit.

Soma

rvy said:
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg227/ShasO_A/Zzzz/77329__final-fantasy-vii-fanart-cloud-crossdress-wall-market-costume.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
i like how Tifa's chest isn't pixelated

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Nibelheim section in Crisis Core renewed my frothing anticipation for it.
A47oX.jpg

dso7w.jpg

It shall be done.

Yoshichan

Having a chose between two different versions of a game you love is a bad thing? If the remake has lame voice acting with heavy metal remixes of every song and Genesis cameo's that doesn't make the original suddenly stop existing.

Personally, I don't feel like it's time for a remake yet. Let's give VII some time to rest for now and give V & VI our attention until at least next gen.

Momo

Banned
I was going to play Vagrant Story, but after said amazing opening, the game proper started and I opened the main menu and was confused to the point of being scared off entirely.
Real talk. This is disgraceful.

basically your problem is with advent children movie's tone and style, too bleak, gritty and serious that clash with some of ff7's lighter and playful moment. But imo, that's the problem with the movie, not because of the more realistic visual.

Crisis core have the same style but zack's easy going attitude never clash with it's realistic proportion. I actually can visualize cloud crossdressing in crisis core visual, now we just need more open area and bigger town, psp is too limited to visualize ff7 town and world.

Spanish Wrath said:
You mean FFIX, right?
Ff ix still look damn good even today, the sd character lend to big faces and allow them to be much more expressive than ff vii or viii can ever be. It'll be the last of my ff remake list since i can still play it fine even now. Ff vii on the other hand is outdated, and even worse, not consistent at all, you got chibi character model, then realistic proportion during battle, then acg cutscene with realistic model, but there's also cg cutscenes withchibi model.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
7 is just a very simple and boring RPG. I get it, I was there at the time, nostalgia..but there are better things to focus on than remakes for a company like Square.

Gravijah

I disagree, really. Seeing all of the various changes is why I want to see it happen. And if it ends up being terrible, it's not like my youth is ruined. I can just ignore it and move on.

Jockel

I agree with OP in that FF VII should never be remade.
For other reasons, though.
I couldn't care less about this game. God-awful graphics (that'd be fixed, eh?), completely unlikeable characters and so much teenage angst, the only thing that was missing was a Linking Park soundtrack.
After all the hype I bought it on PSN and really tried to like it, but hated it.

Personally, I believe that this game was the first JRPG many people played so they got some major case of nostalgia going on.
There were so many better RPGs before and after it, I just don't understand how it holds any relevance today besides making JRPGs mainstream.

Toki767

Honestly if the PS1 games would take way too long to remake I'd love to see 4 or 6 remade with current gen graphics since I'd imagine there is less stuff to include in those games.

Gravijah

Toki767 said:
Honestly if the PS1 games would take way too long to remake I'd love to see 4 or 6 remade with current gen graphics since I'd imagine there is less stuff to include in those games.

We already had a 4 remake, jeez. It's 5s turn. FINAL FANTASY V. You know, the amazing one with the amazing job system?

Momo said:
Real talk. This is disgraceful.
:lol

I needed a tutorial!

Callibretto said:
basically your problem is with advent children movie's tone and style, too bleak, gritty and serious that clash with some of ff7's lighter and playful moment. But imo, that's the problem with the movie, not because of the more realistic visual.

Crisis core have the same style but zack's easy going attitude never clash with it's realistic proportion. I actually can visualize cloud crossdressing in crisis core visual, now we just need more open area and bigger town, psp is too limited to visualize ff7 town and world.
I have no problem with AC's tone for AC, it worked and I actually love the soundtrack, I listen to it often. I just can't imagine that style (which is the only thing that "fans" will really accept in a remake) in the light moments. I can't imagine Cloud saying "I'll rip them off" while Don Corneo writhes around in fear on the bed. With AC looks, that scene becomes really dark. With FFVII graphics, it's comic.

Top Bottom