• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII ® Remastered |OT| Recensored & Still Waiting...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Having put a few hours into the game I'd say I'm pretty happy with the remaster. You need to be realistic about the visuals because there's only so much you can do with assets that were originally so low-resolution and segue pretty regularly from static to FMV sequences.

Its still the game that I love and remember so fondly.

danielberg

Neophyte
Having put a few hours into the game I'd say I'm pretty happy with the remaster. You need to be realistic about the visuals because there's only so much you can do with assets that were originally so low-resolution and segue pretty regularly from static to FMV sequences.

Its still the game that I love and remember so fondly.
"You need to be realistic about visuals"... yeah you too and especially Square enix as well because.....i literally dont understand what you are saying considering that it is now easier to upscale pre rendered backgrounds than it has been at any other point in time.
Several games with pre rendered backgrounds have been upscaled by modders.
Again there was never a easier time with it and if that isnt enough for SE to actually do the thing then well at least dont defend them lol

Last edited:

NeoLed

Does anyone have good links on how to beat the malboros? I dont want ad filled blogs with like a paragraph per page.

From memory

Have ST Defense x4 on 1 char (Siren might have it)
Make 100% status defense for these incapacitating statuses
- Berserk
- Confuse
- Stop
- Sleep

Have the Treatment ability on that same char. After bad breath, treat everyone, and go for the kill

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It is available on the NA eShop (finally).
1-C61439-E-EA82-4-DE3-ADFA-42-B6253-C77-A2.jpg

Despite owning this on multiple platforms already, including the Switch version was an easy decision. I got it for PS4 too.

I love supporting this game.
Physical: 1 copy to date (owned a launch copy, greatest hits, and misc. copies throughout the years)
Digital: PS1 PSN, PC, PS4 (R), & Switch (R)

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
Anyone know of any current prepaid eshop credit deals that I can buy online? I've known of some before, but I haven't looked up any in a long time.

Andyliini

I watched a video of the game playing on Switch. I didn't notice anything alarming in it's performance, so I decided to buy it right away.
I'm currently playing Oninaki, but this game could be good on/off game to play while waiting for bigger releases.

BTW, does this game have the music bug like VII and IX did?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
"You need to be realistic about visuals"... yeah you too and especially Square enix as well because.....i literally dont understand what you are saying considering that it is now easier to upscale pre rendered backgrounds than it has been at any other point in time.
Several games with pre rendered backgrounds have been upscaled by modders.
Again there was never a easier time with it and if that isnt enough for SE to actually do the thing then well at least dont defend them lol
Does that work with FMV?
According to this there are graphical glitches and some backgrounds don't come out right.
I imagine the animation effects and panning cameras via FMV don't mess well with those AI upscales.
But I have to say even without them, if ya told me this was a PS2 remaster I would believe you .
The character models do make a big difference.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Does that work with FMV?
According to this there are graphical glitches and some backgrounds don't come out right.
I imagine the animation effects and panning cameras via FMV don't mess well with those AI upscales.
But I have to say even without them, if ya told me this was a PS2 remaster I would believe you .
The character models do make a big difference.

Kinda inevitable I'd imagine given the way its a method not entirely under the users control, so I'd expect redoing FMV to be particularly prone to weird artifacting and other inconsistencies. Its just a technique, not magic after all.

The real point is redoing the backdrops is pointless unless you do all the FMV too. And that's a ton of frames to process.

Bottom line for me is that this is a 20 year old game, without having everything redone to modern standards its always going to look like PS1 game from 1999 with minor improvements - this was a game built for a system without a Z-buffer for heaven's sake, it was never going to look pristine.

But I love the game, and I'm fine with that.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Anyone know of any current prepaid eshop credit deals that I can buy online? I've known of some before, but I haven't looked up any in a long time.

Try eBay, IMO they typically have the best deals. If you have any Gold coins you can redeem those too. 100 gold coins = $1.00 USD.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Kinda inevitable I'd imagine given the way its a method not entirely under the users control, so I'd expect redoing FMV to be particularly prone to weird artifacting and other inconsistencies. Its just a technique, not magic after all.

The real point is redoing the backdrops is pointless unless you do all the FMV too. And that's a ton of frames to process.

Bottom line for me is that this is a 20 year old game, without having everything redone to modern standards its always going to look like PS1 game from 1999 with minor improvements - this was a game built for a system without a Z-buffer for heaven's sake, it was never going to look pristine.

But I love the game, and I'm fine with that.
I agree I think it looks fantastic.

Zog

Banned
I don't understand the lack of analog controls, How did that happen?

Edit: Oh I see, it was remastered from the PC release. Can they add analog?

Last edited:

base

Banned
Wait. Why am I getting a small screen when playing the game? Why it's not full screen????

Caffeine

I have fond memories of the first screenshots of VIII leaking in a gaming magazine, and the kids at school all talking about how Cloud's got brown hair now.
ye since 7 was many peoples first ff game they never realized the numbered entries were never connected until it actually came out.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Got it. And thanks to the other person recommending Siren's ability. I cant find the post quickly enough though.

I assume you're gonna do it for Doomtrain, yea? Doesn't take long. And the other steps (The Steel Pipes from the Wendigos, the Solomon Ring) are easy.

God its such a weird ass game. Its like abstract art.

ChuyMasta

I assume you're gonna do it for Doomtrain, yea? Doesn't take long. And the other steps (The Steel Pipes from the Wendigos, the Solomon Ring) are easy.

God its such a weird ass game. Its like abstract art.

Correct. I'll try a 100% run. So yes, all GF's, cards, weapons,

Im putting together a spreadsheet/checklist to make sure I don't miss anything.

Shifty

I'm still buried deep in the August / September flood of quality games so won't be jumping on the hype train just yet, but Stranno's post from the RE Classic REbirth thread is giving me pause when it comes to buying the remaster:
That is one of the Final Fantasy VIII Remastered problems. In Playstation the game updates 2D at 60FPS and 3D at 15FPS(Battles)/30FPS(World Map). While the Remastered version will update 2D elements in battles (action selection) at 15FPS..
It looks to be corroborated by this steam forum post from a PS4 user, which says the UI is in fact 15FPS and thus drops inputs, which on top of making the the interface less responsive (a big ticket feature for FF games, imo) makes things like GF Boost and Squall / Selphie Limit Breaks less reliable than they were on PS1.

It also notes that there's no analog input or rumble. Those are less of a huge deal since they don't directly affect combat gameplay, but they still seem like pretty basic omissions...

One way or the other I'm definitely going to be playing FFVIII because I gotta know, but this is making me consider foregoing the shiny new models and sorting out an emulated PS1 copy instead, since Retroarch's Beetle PSX HW core renders at 8K and eliminates polygon jitter really nicely these days.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Correct. I'll try a 100% run. So yes, all GF's, cards, weapons,

Im putting together a spreadsheet/checklist to make sure I don't miss anything.

With regards to cards, you can avoid heartache by just gettin most of the rare cards on Disc 4. You can unlock this by simply doin the CC quest, which is a trophy anyway. To be competitive with them you only need a few strong cards, which you'll prolly have plenty by that point anyway (Ifrit, Diablos, Quistis, Seifer, Zell)

But if you want to challenge yourself you can do the Card Queen quest which...yea good luck.

P.S. the Pupu card cannot be obtained this way but that sidequest is a trophy anyway

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I got really tempted. Is it strange that I think I prefer the old way it looked with the terrible jaggies?

stranno

I'm still buried deep in the August / September flood of quality games so won't be jumping on the hype train just yet, but Stranno's post from the RE Classic REbirth thread is giving me pause when it comes to buying the remaster:
Even worse than I expected. Not as bad as Final Fantasy VI but slowly Square-Enix is getting there again.

Dabaus

Banned
Awesome OT!

Protips from the top of my head:

- As one poster said, use quetzacotls card mod to farm early Items that can be modded into strong spells. Cards to look if i remember correctly are T rexaur which mods into dino bone which gives quake.
Thrusvestious which i believe mods into tornado, which is the best spell for HP.
Elnoyle gives you energy crystals which mods into pulse ammo, used for squalls best weapon. Problem is you need 20 (!) elnoyle cards to get enough pulse ammo to do this.

When leveling up your stats dont really increase like most RPGs. However you CAN get good stats when you use GF "Bonus" Junctions. This isnt necessary to beat the game or even the secret bosses but if your a stat grinder like me then its good to know. Since the gam escales at squalls

-Ifrit gives "Strength"
-Siren Gives "Magic" (Magic is mostly a useless stat so i wouldnt recommend it)
-Brothers Give "HP"
-Carbuncle gives "Vitality" if im not mistaken
- Leviathan gives "Magic defense"

Ok so with that info there is a GF that has Junction 3x or preferably 4x ability, i believe the first one you get that can do this is Diablos and Cerberus. Later on tonberry, cactuar, bahamut, and eden have 4x ability but are pretty late game. but you will want this so you can junction 3- 4 bonuses per level. I recommend strength, vitality, magic defense and Hp as your bonuses. And you can only do this with one character at a time and all the other characters knocked out. Probaly want to start with squall first and get him to around level 50 so monster will give good exp. Quistis is my least used character so I usually have her be my "main character" while squall and everyone else are knocked out to get through the game and get the AP needed to learn said moves. Falstafashion F's, enemies that can be fought on the beach give 6 AP a fight so use her to grind.

Some other tidbits for junctioing:

Hp-Tornado
Strength- Quake (If you use strength bonus it should 255 if not near it without strength percent bonuses)
Vit- Meltdown, but i think curaga is a good second pick
Magic- Pretty useless stat imo so just use a "ga" spell
Magic Defense: Curaga I believe is the best
Luck: Pain

Elemental Junction: Ultima

One more thing, Enjoy the Music!

Dthomp

I played around 3 hours last night and am having fun. Not going for super OP, just want the platinum and have fun reliving the story, but damn I forgot how time consuming and entertaining the card game is :)

scalman

looks like all version looks about same no matter maxed pc or switch not much difference

no we need those remastered backrounds on PC version at least

ROMhack

It's getting a lot of negative reviews on Steam but they all seem like things we already knew.

Not sure how people expected the 4:3 FMVs to work in 16:9

Last edited:

MrMatt555

Its one of my favs but don't go in expecting a great game.

Expect weirdness. Extreme weirdness.
I powered thru the 13 series based on the exceptional soundtrack and battle system alone. I think I'm prepared for anything they throw at me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Initial thoughts after spending an hour with the Switch version:
  • The 4:3 (aka not widescreen) really looks out of place on the Switch in handheld mode. I knew the game wasn't widescreen but it's still kinda jarring having the black bars taking up so much screen real estate.
  • The updated characters models look really great. I've played this game loads of times and the "pixelated at a distance to look realistic" look of the original is replaced here with character models that feel like they match the original artistic vision of the game.
  • This game's music is phenomenal. Nothing different about it as best as these old ears can tell, and that's a good thing. The game's soundtrack is absolutely next level for me.
  • Having the 3x move speed is a godsend for using Draw to pile up stacks of 100 magic for everyone or really just in general. The other general cheat (no encounters) seems really out of place though since that's an ability you can regularly learn later on.
  • Triple Triad is going to consume my life again now, I can feel it.
  • The menu text is super duper crisp and nice, a huge improvement over the original in my book. The original had a slightly pixelated look that made it difficult for me to read sometimes.
This is definitely worth everyone's $20. It's been a few years since I last played this game (2013, damn) so it's cool getting back to this game personally. It's probably the one video game that has influenced my life the most, strangely enough.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
The other general cheat (no encounters) seems really out of place though since that's an ability you can regularly learn later on.

That's like saying a 99 Potions cheat is out of place because you can buy that many potions later on.

Top Bottom