• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII 15th Anniversary Thread

Wazzy

Banned
WM0XmxF.gif

It's Final Fantasy VIII's 15th Anniversary in Japan and North America . It was released on February 11th in 1999 on the Playstation in Japan and September 9th 1999 in North America.

QEbHgJh.png

QJPqC1j.png
Squall Leonhart

Height: 5'10
Date Of Birth: August 23rd
Blood Type: AB
Weapon: Gunblade Revolver
Profile:
A talented SeeD and a member of the select organization which was formed for the purpose of subjugating sorceresses. While carrying out his duty, Squall is afflicted by mysterious dreams which show him a story from the past and the life of a warm and candid man who seems so like and yet unlike himself. These dreams of the past, which seem at first glance to be without significance, soon are revealed to have intimate ties to the tale of Squall's present.

EQgrs37.png
Rinoa Heartilly

Height: 5'4
Date Of Birth: March 3rd
Weapon: Pinwheel
Profile:
As a part of the Forest Owls, Rinoa works to undermine the Galbadian government along with her fellow freedom fighters. She meets Squall when she goes to Balamb Garden to seek help for her group's plans to abduct the Galbadian president. She cannot help falling for the SeeD, yet she will find herself the unwitting inheritor of a sorceress's power, making her a liability and putting her life at risk during the war against the sorceresses.

q5uL1z9.png
Seifer Almasy

Height: 6'2
Date Of Birth: December 22nd
Blood Type: O
Weapon: Gunblade Hyperion
Profile:
The head of Balamb Garden's Disciplinary Committee and yet the most problematic student within its walls. Despite his superior fighting skills, Seifer's belligerent attitude and inability to follow orders have left him famous for being unable to pass the SeeD exam. When he crashes one of Squall's missions, he is caught by the sorceress Edea and turned against the Garden.

F86g11O.png
Quistis Trepe

Height: 5'6
Date Of Birth: October 3rd
Blood Type: A
Weapon: Whip

A young prodigy who became a SeeD at the age of 15 and received her instructors license at 17. While calm, cool and collected in front of her students, her insecurities are revealed to specific people such as Squall whom she has feelings for. These insecurities have sometimes even gotten in the way of missions making Quistis question herself and her duties.

ae375L7.png
Zell Dincht

Height: 5'5
Date Of Birth: March 17th
Blood Type: B
Weapon: Gloves
Profile:
A hot tempered SeeD who fights with his fists. His mother lives in Balamb where he grew up before attending Balamb Garden. While his heart is always in the right place, he let's his emotions overcome his actions thus resulting in grave situations. He has a special love of hot dogs but is never able to make the morning rush for them.

dOIvQ3i.png
Irvine Kinneas

Height: 6'0
Date Of Birth: November 24th
Weapon: Shotgun
Profile:
A sniper from Galabadia Garden and a ladies man, Irvine is assigned to Squall's group on an assassination mission. While presented as calm and cool, he crumbles under pressure when faced with it. He retains memories of his childhood because of Galbadia Gardens avoidance of GF's.

DuuFCYH.png
Selphie Tilmitt

Height: 5'1 1/2
Date Of Birth: July 16th
Weapon: Nunchaku
Profile:
A newly transferred SeeD cadet from Trabia Garden. Energetic, always smiling, and never shy, this lighthearted mood-maker has been known to casually drop a dark joke or two.

bNbYrsa.png
Laguna Loire

Height: 5'11
Date Of Birth: January 3rd
Weapon: Machine Gun
Profile:
A young joyous man enlisted in the Galbadian army along with his two best friends Kiros and Ward. He falls in love with a women by the name of Julia in Deling City but is separated from her when he ends up injured in Winhill where he meets another young women who nurses him back to health by the name of Raine and a little girl Ellone. He ends up falling in love with Raine and marry's her but is forced to leave her while she's pregnant in order to rescue Ellone from Esthar. He ends up becoming the president of Esthar but at the cost of orphaning his children and losing his wife.

DVs1COe.png
Edea Kramer

Height: 5'6
Weapon: Magic
Profile:
A women made a sorceress at the age of 5, she married a man named Cid Kramer who together then started Balamb Garden and SeeD. Originally she ran an orphange for children orphaned by the sorceress war but it was abandoned when she disappeared. Now she seeks to destroy SeeD and Garden's for reasons unknown.

X3L87yj.png
Kiros Seagill

Height: 6'4
Date Of Birth: July 16th
Blood Type: O
Weapon: Paired Sharp Blades
Intelligent and the voice of reason, Kiros travels with Laguna and Ward while enlisted in the military. When they're all seperated and injured, Kiros and Ward find Laguna in Winhill and join him on his mission to rescue Ellone. The three are close friends.

XcPl5Qy.png
Ward Zabac

Height: 7'0
Date Of Birth: February 25th
Weapon: Harpoon
While intimidating in appearance, Ward is quite an observant and wise man. He was was scarred on his face by an unknown injury and later begins to lose his ability to speak. He cares deeply for his friends and supports Laguna and Kiros throughout their journey in the military and after.

Side Characters:
vcpZbl2.png
Raijin
54Ma52d.png
Fuujin
Weapons: Pole & Missle Blade
Profile:
Seifer's loyal posse, they follow him through thick and thin. Fuujin tends to yell when speaking while Raijin ends his sentences with "ya know?".

V2CREMy.png
Cid Kramer
The Headmaster of Balamb Garden and married to Edea, he keeps many secrets hidden from his students. What are Garden and SeeD's true goals and why is Cid hiding them?

iZDYtLQ.png
Julia Heartilly
Profile:
A piano player and singer, she wrote her first big hit Eye's On Me before being killed in a fatal car accident. She had a daughter with General Caraway.

N0LzIvQ.png
Raine Loire
Profile:
A kind young woman who takes care of Ellone in the quiet village of Winhill. She meets Laguna when he is injured and nurses him back to health. She falls in love with him and marry's him to which they have a child. Unfortunately she passed away shortly after giving birth.

dnjfvBK.png
Ellone
Profile:
A gentle and kind girl who happens to know Squall and Co. along with Laguna and Raine. She's a mystery to everyone but Laguna who protected her when she was a child. She was orphaned at a young age and placed in Edea's orphanage along with her younger brother.

5OfYlD4.png

Final Fantasy VIII was the first game in the franchise to make the jump to realistic proportioned characters. It brought gorgeous visuals and breathtaking FMV's which was another new for the series. The games use of pre rendered backgrounds was wonderfully done with so many unique and interesting locations to explore. The game chose to focus heavily on the main protagonists thoughts, something we also hadn't seen in previous games.

The battle system was changed quite a bit from the previous installment's . Adding in a levelling system that challenges you by allowing monsters to gain levels whenever Squall does and a complex junction system with many customizable options that allows various play styles. Guardian Forces were a huge component to the battle system as they allowed players to junction magic onto their party's stats thus increasing their power. GF's also learn abilities that can be used in battle AND outside such as the No-Encounter ability giving players the option to avoid random battles all together.

ECqLYRf.png

Original Japanese OST:
Mp7Sprm.jpg

Original North America OST:
a4vCflw.png

Full OST Album

Piano Collection

Full Piano Collection

Orchestra

Full Orchestra Album

Black Mages

Force Your Way
Man With The Machine Gun
The Extreme
Maybe I'm a Lion

Chip Album
0V0iinX.jpg

Fisherman's Horizon + rest of songs in the persons profile.

A New World Final Fantasy
2wsoAkX.jpg

Force Your Way

Fragment of Memories

Dissidia/012
zYw69lr.jpg

Force Your Way

Julia

Don't Be Afraid

Blue Fields

Find Your Way

The Best of Final Fantasy 1994-1999
9WgDerf.jpg

Liberi Fatali

Mods de Chocobo

The Spy

My Mind

Unreleased Tracks
Adel
Concert Irish-Jig
Concert Eye's On Me
Attacking Dollet Demo
Raid On Dollet
Visions of Dollet demo
Demo Main Menu music
Falling Crab
Fake Deling

8X1TQFU.png

UD6LndL.png
3b8TmpD.png

Final Fantasy VIII has been ported to PC, Steam and PSN. It's also been released as a Greatest Hit.

c188PRA.png

Ultimania translations:
Translation's Part 1
Translations Part 2
Translations Part 3
Translations Part 4

A link to the new translastions being done on VIII's character's thoughts during moments in the game:
Ultimania interviews

This link has hidden pre rendered backgrounds and codes that were found by hackers:
Final Fantasy VIII hidden codes

A rare artwork of Squall and Cloud drinking Coca Cola:

A concept art for VIII's logo by Yoshitaka Amano:

A post containing VIII's gorgeous towns and locations:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34304460&postcount=1556

A site with many official artwork done by Nomura and Amano:
Creative Uncut

An article with 15 facts about Final Fantasy VIII for it's 15th Anniversary:
http://www.finalfantasyunion.com/ne...fantasy-viii-for-its-15th-birthday--2409.html

PS2 Tech Demo of Ballroom Dance:
Dance #1

Dancing #2

A list of cameo's for Final Fantasy VIII characters:

Nwk80qF.jpg
JmJRwoq.png

mcFJ3Oi.png
PYMLOMt.png
fQdyUTn.png
BSswhui.png

fj3TIX1.jpg

TwxlpAM.png
4jtCkh6.png

ZHKHtBc.jpg

rMZchJV.png
JpdqNIk.png
dI2EBMI.png
c8EoQbS.png
mLdWPnx.png

LluJs8l.jpg
svIPv3g.png

bJrJRZO.png
VH7yRY9.png
LqAstqz.png

s58Ay7k.jpg
4bua1Hd.jpg

iKOUaQt.png
cVG3icO.png
3GV5Dl2.png

AWnpuih.png

c2YUPu0.png
Hk9DAPK.png
EPf8Hig.png

6T6vHcn.jpg

HAOlSCF.png
coujOag.png

uOtOvUo.png

SHVLy8i.png
ThMlTU0.png
vXusi9h.png
29itkNa.png

9y3mSLN.jpg

mim735z.png

----------
j3HW8NW.png

A well put together faq on Time Compression, Ultimecia and many other aspects of VIII's plot:
Time/Plot FAQ

A composition of Selphie's train song:
Train Song

Afrojack samples The Landing:
Rock The House

A mashup of SQ Eye's On Me and Space Jam:
Smash Eye's On Me

A Melancholy of Don't Be Afraid

Don't Be Afraid Melancholy

Boy Band D2B music video influenced by VIII and X:
Jealous

Squall drawn by Tite Kubo, author of Bleach:

A tribute video I made for the Anniversary:
Final Fantasy VIII 15th Anniversary Tribute video

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So let's celebrate one of the greatest Final Fantasy's. Post your favourite fan art, songs, characters or anything you want.

*Credit to AcridMeat for the graphics, Dunan for the heads up about VIII's anniversary, MrDenny for a link to artworks, Dark Schala for the post containing all the Towns and Locations, DiipuSurotu for interview links and Jaxword for the hidden codes link. Thanks!

The summary's of Squall, Rinoa, Seifer and Selphie were taken from their official Dissidia online profiles*

Mr. RHC

A fantastic game and an example of one of the best stories/presentation in the series! Music is Level: Uematsu, what else can be said! And the script is really entertaining!

Subaru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOPyeaTxVRk

Angela Aki singing Eyes on Me is awesome =)

FFVIII is full of problems, but I think Rinoa is not one of them. She's awesome.
And I love that Eyes on Me is the love theme between
Rinoa and Squall, since they are living the love that their parents couldn't. It's so touching.

While we can't understand shit about Ultimecia, FFVIII ending is sublime.

I cry everytime that I see Laguna giving the ring to Raine. It's so beautiful and sad that his "happy ending" was to marry and make Raine happy until she dies...

Sora_N

God I was 12 when this came out, I think I didn't actually try to play it until 14-15. Never finished but I loved everything about the game except drawing magic. Plan to finish it later on...

Jintor

My first and therefore my favourite Final Fantasy, all else be damned.

Triple Triad... flying Gardens... Galbadian politics, train hijack missions, dreams of soldiers, Biggs and Wedge on a tower getting blown off by a giant monster bird... Waltz for the Moon... man, the memories.

GlamFM

Banned
From the other thread:

I loved it at the time, now I realize that this is the point where FF started going in the wrong direction.

Zabant

I feel compelled to post in this thread, celebrating the 15th anniversary of my favourite game.

The sewer section still sucks though.

Edit: Your link to the BM version of The Man with the Machine Gun is busted

Quistis is still one of the hottest FF ladies.
With Celes, Terra and Lulu

And Fisherman's Horizon is still one of the best FF songs.

Wazzy

Banned
I feel compelled to post in this thread, celebrating the 15th anniversary of my favourite game.

The sewer section still sucks though.

Edit: Your link to the BM version of The Man with the Machine Gun is busted

Thanks! I just fixed it. :)

dc89

I was 10 when I first played this game, I didn't even realise it was released until I saw it in Blockbuster. I rented it straight away and bought it when I returned it.

DJwest

My first Final Fantasy, will always have a special place in my heart. Plus Uematsu delivered the best soundtrack of the series hands down.

Nags

Banned
Better thread gets my bump.
One of my favorite FF games. I was just out of high school when it came out.

Great Job Wazzy. I'll post the things I love about FFVIII in this thread now.

Edit: Time to post something with substance.

One of the most endearing things about FFVIII was the synergy between the in game systems to help develop your characters for battle. First you Junction a Guardian Force. Imagine equipping a summon instead of armor. Those GFs allow you to junction magic to specific stats, increasing said stat. Equipping GFs also included the benefit of in battle abilities such as Draw and Magic. Drawing, while tedious and boring at times, allowed you to stock magic that can be used to raise your stats, as mentioned earlier. Eventually your GFs learn refining abilities that allow you to transform items won from battles into spells and other more useful items. So save yourself some time Drawing from a monster all refining items into spells. Even better, playing the mini game Triple Triad allowed players to win cards, which can also be refined into items. Once again, those items can be turned into stocked magic, which can be junctioned for better stats.

I loved how all the in game systems, Junction, drawing magic, refining Items, even playing the card game Triple Triad, all synergized so perfectly. Developing characters was so easy because of how everything just comes together. That being said, the harmony of all the systems made the game pretty easy to break. But I had fun with that. Another cool thing about the game was how you could play the whole thing at level 1, by transforming all your enemies into cards. Something I have yet to try.

My prefered way of playing: Party at critical HP ----> MASH CIRCLE BUTTON ----> LIMIT! ----> Renzokuken/Armageddon Fist/Degenerator. I found spamming limits to be incredibly enjoyable. Also, you can do over 9999 damage. I remember the GF Eden doing around 20000 damage, maybe more, it's been a while. Kinda cool seeing damage digits over 9999.

Favorite tracks:
Eyes on Me: While the lyrics sound a bit silly at times, it was a very heartfelt ballad. Piano Collection is my favorite rendition.
Ami: Again, Piano Collection my favorite rendition
Almost anything from the FF Piano Collection tickles my fancy.
Force Your Way and The Extreme were also pretty sick.

Anyways, I just want to say FFVIII is an incredible game, it totally deserves all the love it's received over the last 15 years.

Wazzy

Banned
Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Awesome job
FFVIII is my favorite out of the series.
Love the art and music.

This site also has a bunch of artwork from the series.
Irvine looked quite a bit different in his early sketch.
http://www.creativeuncut.com/art_final-fantasy-8_a.html

Here's a video of the American synchronized swimming duo performing their routine to fithos lusec wecos vinosec and liberi fatali at the 2004 olympics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvK79IzJFbU
Thanks! I was thinking of putting them in the OP but I had to rush the thread out a little early due to another one being made.

I'll put them in the OP and credit you. :)

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
One of my earliest Ps1 games, and my first entry into FF, played this as quite a young kid, and it really struck a chord back then. Thoroughly enjoyed it then, but I'm not too sure how it will hold up today if I ever decide to replay.

Hopefully the disc is still in good order, after enduring the thrashings of younger me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just have to jump in and say that Wazzy did a fantastic job with this thread, too. You don't see many anniversary threads discussing the game's legacy, game info, and why people should care often. So... yeah, cool thread. Good work. Anniversary thread actually has meaning now.

I wish I had more time to dedicate to writing something significantly detailed about FF8, but I don't because exams. D:

I will say that I ended up dropping FF8 in favour of playing Suikoden II, like, twice... because I'd gotten those two around the same time. But when I actually got back to it, I powered right through it. I thought it was the coolest thing when I saw the game on that silly Charlie's Angels movie (with two kids playing it 2-player-style). FF8's fun, easy to break and easy to tool around with. It's a good speedrun game simply for the sake of not having to level up, and it has a lot of neat dungeons. It takes the modernity that FF7 helped to bring to the forefront and accomplishes trying to blend homeliness, modernity, and futurism into one neat thing. I'm not a huge fan of FF8's soundtrack for various reasons that I've gone into in various threads in the past (ex: soundfont, repetition, etc), but I love the game's piano collections and orchestrated albums a lot. Definitely among my favourites in the musical legacy of the series. FF8 has some neat SFX cues, too, some of which kinda wowed me over when I was much younger.

I've also posted a bunch of FF8's backgrounds here. I effing love FF8's setpieces. It has some of the most engaging background art in the entire series to me. Very colourful and organic, too.

When I was finishing up my playthrough of FF4 in 2012, I was strongly considering doing an FF8 run. I... like FF8, so it'd be cool to do another playthrough of a game that I liked. I haven't played the game in years now, lol.

PS: Esthar is a dope city. Piano Collection Edition of Silence and Motion is one of my favourites. Even the arrangement of The Man with the Machine Gun is so interesting to me.

A reminder that FFVIII had the greatest summon of all.

Doomtrain

An evil sentient train that upon his calling, would run the fuck over AND POISON any enemy in his path.
This bro knows.

Wazzy

Banned
I just have to jump in and say that Wazzy did a fantastic job with this thread, too. You don't see many anniversary threads discussing the game's legacy, game info, and why people should care often. So... yeah, cool thread. Good work. Anniversary thread actually has meaning now.

This means a lot to me so thank you. :)

I'm going to quote your post with the backgrounds and put it in the OP. It's a fantastic one and would be really good for the OP.

vareon

FF8 came at the unfortunate time when I was a purist who tried to act cool and keep saying I-VI is the only FF and IX is the second coming.

When I re-finished it a few weeks ago, I had a lot fun with it. It's not something I'd like in my RPG (too little adventure for my tastes, focus on romance) but I get that it's something other people will probably be crazy about. I accepted the highs and lows and it was a blast.

So yeah, here's to 15 years of a good game.

Soule

First 3D FF I really got to play, triple triad was so addictive it always derailed my play. I've tried to beat it several times and never quite made it even though I've gone quite deep, I have it on Steam now... maybe a playthrough is in order to celebrate the anniversary.

Wonderful game. I hated it at first due to how different it was to FF7 but on my second playthrough it grew on me greatly. The settings and music are amazing, the atmosphere is fantastic. And it all felt so.. original, and fresh. After FF8, FF9 felt like a step backwards.

Some very strange decisions regarding the battle/abilities system, however!

THIS GAME NEEDS A TRUE REMAKE

(with a tweaked battle/junction system)

saher

Banned
I remember playing the demo when i was 10, my very first FF experience

Oh yeah and i didnt know what fuck was going on but i remember summoning Leviathan.

Shahed

Great thread, but where are Kiros and Ward? They're playable characters unlike some mentioned :p

My favorite soundtrack in the series

Wazzy

Banned
Great thread, but where are Kiros and Ward? They're playable characters unlike some mentioned :p

Yeah I'm still adding in some stuff. I just recently added in a few side characters. They'll probably be under that. :)

Zabant

Ward, and to a lesser extent, Kiros are such badasses.

Everyone else in the Galbadia army is running around with guns, and what does ward use as his weapon? a gigantic fucking harpoon, seriously, it's bigger than he is, and his listed height is 7'

Ward_FFVIII_Art.jpg

He doesn't just swing it around either, dude throws it.

sephiroth7x

Ah I was 15 when I first played it.

Being from the UK I never imagined that the 'sequel' to FFVII was not going to feature Cloud, Tifa etc and that it was a brand new game. At first I was so dissapointed.

I remember I had a chance to go to a theme park or buy the game on launch. I was so annoyed that my parents 'forced' me to come with them despite my insistance on staying and playing FFVIII. In the end, I bought it at about 7pm and played it all night.

I love the Draw system. I love how customisable the characters can be and that with a little tinkering you can make everyone super hard bastards without much levelling. Yes it may have taken the grinding away but that isn't such a bad thing.

I loved Squall. As much as he was a moaning SOB he was to me a great example of discovering what growing up is all about. He aged in front of us and it was a pleasure to play it.

Finally, the music, the graphics (After VII) and those FMV's.... wow.

Sublime game. One I may go home and play today after work to celebrate.

Chuckie

My first FF and I loved it to death. I slightly prefer IX I think, but it depends on my mood.

Awesome tread Wazzy! Makes me all nostalgic.

Xena

I just recently finished it on Steam... was great going again through the game. In my opinion the FF with the best soundtrack... and man I love Fishermen's Horizon theme (and all its renditions from other albums)
I also liked that the character weren't "chibi" and the art on the game is very awesome.
It does have a heck of a gameplay though; back in the day I was still learning English so I played the game the hard way since I didn't quite understand the junction system (in other words, I leveled up a lot just like in a grindy jrpg.) Then now I was finally able to play it the "easier way", dedicating a few hours on Triple Triad (my favorite FF mini-game), and junctioning things properly and definitely not over leveling (in fact I did the low-level/Squall no level up chievo thingy, and defeating Omega this time around was the easiest thing ever.)
Great game overall despite the convoluted and confusing storyline.

Stuart444

My second FF and the first one I completed on my own back when I was a kid...

It's my favourite FF (a fact I always make known when talking about older FFs :) ), I love the characters, the setting, the story, all of it. The music is some of the best Final Fantasy has to offer. My main criticism of FFVIII is how easy it is to break it but at the same time, it's fun to break it :p. Triple Triad is also my favourite Mini-game in the series (though the other PS1 FFs had good mini-games as well. :) ). Played Triple Triad for hours back in the day.

It's a great game, Happy Anniversary Final Fantasy VIII <3

MilkBeard

FF8 came at the unfortunate time when I was a purist who tried to act cool and keep saying I-VI is the only FF and IX is the second coming.

When I re-finished it a few weeks ago, I had a lot fun with it. It's not something I'd like in my RPG (too little adventure for my tastes, focus on romance) but I get that it's something other people will probably be crazy about. I accepted the highs and lows and it was a blast.

So yeah, here's to 15 years of a good game.

Ha ha, yep. Back when it came out, I didn't really give it a chance because I was too smitten with VI and VII, and I was against the 'realistic look.' Looking back now, that was kind of a silly notion. And I played through the game recently and enjoyed it. Music is tops.

Not my favorite FF but a good game all the same.

Top Bottom