• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X HD (PS4) has been patched

SkylineRKR

Got hit by a 30mb patch.

11163800_1622605241335860_1410666871387715285_n.jpg

Didn't see it anywhere yet, old if lock

Z3M0G

Huh? What were the original problems? I wasn't aware the game was broken...

Edit: What are the patch notes?

Pretty awesome if this is the music and RNG fix, which I assume it is.

Didn't really notice the RNG issue but definitely did with the music. Them announcing the update was what made me buy it for PS4 as well so I'm glad it's finally here!

I'm glad they actually went ahead and patched it. Until they announced it, I figured they wouldn't even bother. (Same with Type-0, too)

Definitely going to buy a copy now.

Ghazi

Nice! Were these the only problems with it? I had the games on PS3, but never finished them and never picked them up on 4 because of the issues.

SkylineRKR

Nice! Were these the only problems with it? I had the games on PS3, but never finished them and never picked them up on 4 because of the issues.

So far I am aware, yes.

The port is blistering otherwise. No load times, crisp visuals, both soundtracks... Its amazing. Especially now.

SkylineRKR

What issues were those? I'd like to know.

The music would reset after each battle which meant you would never hear the full track unless you were with No Encounter abilities.

The RNG thing was a bug affecting encounters and made monster capturing annoying among other things.

mp1990

Banned
What was the problem with the RNG ? Like, how couldn't it be "random" ?
EDIT: btw, are these problems present in the PS3 version ? And if they are, did SE ever fixed them, or at least plan on doing so ? I do own it but never played for more than a few hours, maybe its time to "upgrade" lol.

oni-link

So far I am aware, yes.

The port is blistering otherwise. No load times, crisp visuals, both soundtracks... Its amazing. Especially now.

Would I be missing out on much if I grab this on PS3 instead of PS4?

I don't have a PS4 yet and kind of want to play them sooner rather than later

georly

What was the issue with RNG specifically? Was it drop related, or used in calculating damage, or both?

What was the problem with the RNG ? Like, how couldn't it be "random" ?

If your algorithm uses something as a seed, and the seed never changes, then everyone gets the same exact 'random' numbers would be my guess. A lot of algorithms use stuff that changes all the time, like a clock or a memory address that is constantly changing in value. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_seed

My guess is FFX used some value that NEVER EVER CHANGED as its seed. What this affected is what i'd like to know.

SkylineRKR

No, just a lower resolution and no classic soundtrack (some people hate the remix). And a bit longer load times, maybe some framedrops too.

DarkTom

Cool, I am at the Djose Temple and the bugs weren't bothering me though. But I guess it is really annoying when you go for the monster collecting quest.

alexein

the load times are a bit long on ps3 and thats it.
ps4 version is the best, vita has portability but only download for X-2
if you played the 50hz version like me back in the day every version is better than ps2.

I played it on Vita yet part of me still wants to get it on PS4. Then I remember Chocobo Racing taking me till 4am only to finally do it.

Question. Is it cross save with PS3?
I was playing FFX on PS3, and I had like 20 hours of gameplay. Which... I'd rather not do again (Tutorial, tutorial, stuff).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Sorry - may not be the right place to ask, buuuuut....

I've never played FF X or X-2. If I want a fun JRPG, should I pick this up?

Yaaaay gonna buy it now.

Never played FFX, so happy this is now the definitive version, original music and now bug-free!

Awesome. Now we just need the Japanese voicetrack included too, so that I don't have to listen to Ratchet as the voice of Tidus anymore.

Luigiv

Awesome, just in time. Bought the game two days ago online and now I'm just waiting for it to arrive. Was originally planning to just leave it in my backlog until the patch hit but now I guess I can jump into it straight away. :D

oni-link

the load times are a bit long on ps3 and thats it.
ps4 version is the best, vita has portability but only download for X-2
if you played the 50hz version like me back in the day every version is better than ps2.

I had a Gamecube during that gen. PS3 is my first Sony console so I've been playing catch up for the last 5 years on all the PS1 & PS2 games I missed out on, so I've never played FFX before

Thoraxes

Kinda funny considering there was a thread the other day asking if it's happened yet, haha.

God to see it happened though. Now I can finish my playthrough.

The RNG thing was a bug affecting encounters and made monster capturing annoying among other things.

Not really. Puroboros were really hard to capture with the RNG bug, but every other stupidly hard to find creature(Tonberry, Master Tonberry, Valaha, Ghost, Wraith, etc) actually ended up with a really good RNG, so the total time of capture was way less than it ever was before. I platinumed the game on PS4 and it took me far less time to do full captures than in any other run I've ever had because of the RNG bug.

People expecting it to be easier now are in for a shock, unless Puroboros was the only thing they had left.

Mostly the RNG bug made it so you couldn't save scum equipment easily. If you reset and reloaded you'd get the exact same drop. The reality of it was that most people who just played the game would never notice a problem, yet a lot of people were scared off by the description of the bug more than what the bug actually meant (and there was a lot of misinformation to boot).

Lothar

Banned
Are the faces still bad? Are they any different than the PS3 version?

Sorry - may not be the right place to ask, buuuuut....

I've never played FF X or X-2. If I want a fun JRPG, should I pick this up?

X is my #2 game of all time and is a game that will always show up near the top on a poll for best games ever made, so yes.

mp1990

Banned
What was the issue with RNG specifically? Was it drop related, or used in calculating damage, or both?

If your algorithm uses something as a seed, and the seed never changes, then everyone gets the same exact 'random' numbers would be my guess. A lot of algorithms use stuff that changes all the time, like a clock or a memory address that is constantly changing in value. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_seed

My guess is FFX used some value that NEVER EVER CHANGED as its seed. What this affected is what i'd like to know.
Thanks for the explanation Geo ! Though i was asking more about the effects of RNG in FFX, i never quite understood what RNG is really about, so thanks for it.

Not really. Puroboros were really hard to capture with the RNG bug, but every other stupidly hard to find creature(Tonberry, Master Tonberry, Valaha, Ghost, Wraith, etc) actually ended up with a really good RNG, so the total time of capture was way less than it ever was before. I platinumed the game on PS4 and it took me far less time to do full captures than in any other run I've ever had because of the RNG bug.

People expecting it to be easier now are in for a shock, unless Puroboros was the only thing they had left.

Mostly the RNG bug made it so you couldn't save scum equipment easily. If you reset and reloaded you'd get the exact same drop. The reality of it was that most people who just played the game would never notice a problem, yet a lot of people were scared off by the description of the bug more than what the bug actually meant (and there was a lot of misinformation to boot).
Oh, now i get it, thanks. Don't seem to be a major problem though, so i guess I'll stick to my PS3 copy if i ever want to play it lol.

Top Bottom