• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X -Will- and FFX-2.5 plot discussion thread [Up2: Uh, um, errr, see OP]

bolil

Neo Member
xoGV64H.gif

Jubern

So, I finally listened to the audio drama. And honestly, despite the horrible, horrible mess that is Chuami and her vapid dialog, I honestly found it to be a rather interesting prelude to a new game...
I never asked for this and I still don't want it, it undermines both FFX and FFX-2 in a bad way. But the drama itself sounds okay and waaaaaay less offensive than what a lot of people were saying earlier in the thread IMO.

The novel on the other hand... I'm tempted to buy it just to see what is actually wrong with it (despite the Tidus thing obviously >_>) and just might if I find it near my workplace tomorrow.

anaron

I wonder if the people in the company are so starved of getting to try out new things in new IPs that they're being forced to get out all of their "creativity" (lol) in existing ones.

Dark_castle

T: "You were giggling"
Y:"Not telllliinnng!"
T: "Yunaaaa!"
Tidus said in a pitiful voice! It was funny... and so endearing that Yuna ate it up.
T:"Ouch!"
When she looked, Tidus was holding the back of his head.
T:"What the..."
Tidus turned around, surprised.
What caught his eye was a slowly rolling ball.
It was the color of tanned leather... about the same size as one used in blitzball matches.
Tidus:"A blitzball?!"
While looking for the owner, Tidus began to walk towards the ball.
Yuna watched.
One Step.-----
Yuna was surprised by the tears that suddenly began flowing from her eyes.
She sunk to the ground, holding herself with both arms, she realized... she was being overcome with sadness.
There was a loud sound, and the force of the shock sent her flying through the air.
In front of Yuna's eyes, something went flying with great force; Tidus' head, with the look of surprise still etched onto it.
Yuna lost consciousness.

Far left two sentences:
"Remember him. His name... was Tidus, correct?"
"An unknown voice called to Yuna"
----------------
T:くすくす笑った
Y:内緒!
T:ゆうなあ!
ティーダが情けない声を出した。おかしくて、愛しくてたまらない
T:イッテっー
みるとティーダが後頭部を押さえていた
T:えっー
振り返ったティーダが驚く。その視線の先にはゆっくりと転がるボールがあった。
なめした革のそのままの色で大きさはブリッツ試合球とほぼ同じだ。
T:ブリッツボール?!
ティーダは持ち主を探しながらボールに向かって歩き出す
後一歩ーーーーーー
その様子を見たユウナは自分の目から突然こぼれた涙に驚いた感情が大きく播さぶられて、立っていられない
しゃがみ込んで自分の両腕を抱えた時それが耐え難い悲しみだと気がついた。
大きな音がして同時に衝撃に吹き飛ばされて宙を舞っていた
勢いよく飛んでいったのは驚きの表情が張り付いたティーダの首だった。

Turns out, Tidus didn't actually kick the ball himself, according to a translator here.

Erigu

Turns out, Tidus didn't actually kick the ball himself, according to a translator here.
It says he starts walking toward the bomb, we cut To Yuna, and then, explosion. While I'm not seeing anything about a kick, there's nothing to suggest he didn't trigger the explosion.

Besides, the issue always was Tidus stupidly dying because of some 1000-year old bomb a mere two days after he came back.
(I didn't realize how quickly (in terms of number of words) Tidus died after the discovery of the bomb... it's downright comical)

Hyunashi

I will buy it if X-3 ever comes out, but I pray they do this after 15 is done and dusted.
Hopefully Tidus dies for realz this time

Erigu

Well the implication is that someone threw the ball/mine at him.
Maybe, but again, that doesn't change much of anything, does it?
I'm not sure what kind of miracle you're hoping for, here... The Japanese reactions are what they are.

Dark_castle

It says he starts walking toward the bomb, we cut To YTiuna, and then, explosion. While I'm not seeing anything about a kick, there's nothing to suggest he didn't trigger the explosion.

Besides, the issue always was Tidus stupidly dying because of some 1000-year old bomb a mere two days after he came back.
(I didn't realize how quickly (in terms of number of words) Tidus died after the discovery of the bomb... it's downright comical)

The explosion was said to be triggered upon impact when it hits Tidus on the back of his head.

Also, there are still uncertainties in when exactly the incident in novella happens. On the same website, the main translator said

"Yes, we're not sure.

The official description of the novella places it six months after the events of FFX-2, but numerous reviews mention "...only 2 days after resurrection...", and yet others place the novella as a relation event contextual to either Last Mission or perfect ending.

We have to wait until we get more solid info."

Erigu

The explosion was said to be triggered upon impact when it hits Tidus on the back of his head.
Not quite upon impact, or Tidus wouldn't have the time to go "oh, a Blitzball?!" and walk toward it...

Also, there are still uncertainties in when exactly the incident in novella happens.
Nah. Two days after the good ending of Final Fantasy X-2.
And this:
the official description of the novella places it six months after the events of FFX-2
is not true. It says "two years and some months after Sin was defeated".

(why are people calling this a "novella", by the way? is there something wrong with the word "novel"?)

After all this outrage lol.
Good luck finding something in my posts that isn't valid anymore because of that zomg-super-important detail...

Dark_castle

Not quite upon impact, or Tidus wouldn't have the time to go "oh, a Blitzball?!" and walk toward it...

It is possible for the bomb to have some sort of countdown before it actually explodes.

Nah. Two days after the good ending of Final Fantasy X-2.

Proof? You sounded like it's definite, yet you ARE wrong on some other occasion, like Tidus straight up run and kick the bomb when the sequence wasn't like so.

And this:

is not true. It says "two years and some months after Sin was defeated".

And this is an ambiguity, unless you could tell me exactly how long the events in X-2 take place, and "some" months is how many months.

Shinta

Banned
O lawd

Yes, a plot point detail being just slightly less stupid in an innately stupid story sure is showin us up.

Yeah, there's a whole book full of stuff that is very shoddily translated. Then it's filtered through 1,000 people in a giant game of telephone, each trying to make it sound worse than the last for the lulz. Just look at the difference between how people described the audio drama and the actual audio drama.

As I said like a week ago when you called it "spin," reading the novel is not the same as reading a vague bullet point list. In this case, even the primary bullet point on that list is significantly mistranslated.

All I said was don't rush to conclusions yet, and you said that was "spin." Guess what? You were completely wrong about that, and I was right. Clear enough for you?

Erigu

It is possible for the bomb to have some sort of countdown before it actually explodes.
Sure, I guess?

A whole bunch of reports from Japanese readers. I haven't seen anything contradictory.

You sounded like it's definite, yet you ARE wrong on some other occasion, like Tidus straight up run and kick the bomb when the sequence wasn't like so.
I never said anything about that, so can you think of something else?

And this is an ambiguity, unless you could tell me exactly how long the events in X-2 take place, and "some" months is how many months.
My point was that they apparently couldn't even read the official description correctly.
For the rest, see above: I see no reason to doubt all those Japanese readers commenting on that incident taking place two days after Tidus's return.

Yeah, there's a whole book full of stuff that is very shoddily translated.
... What?

Then it's filtered through 1,000 people in a giant game of telephone, each trying to make it sound worse than the last for the lulz.
Or I'm simply reading what Japanese readers are saying. "Giant game of telephone", huh?

As I said like a week ago when you called it "spin," reading the novel is not the same as reading a vague bullet point list.
Are you sure you want to make that point based on a few non-Japanese people discussing a single page and going "wait, what does that kanji mean, again?"?

huggles

Neo Member
What caught his eye was a slowly rolling ball.
It was the color of tanned leather... about the same size as one used in blitzball matches.
Tidus:"A blitzball?!"
While looking for the owner, Tidus began to walk towards the ball.
Well the implication is that someone threw the ball/mine at him.

If going by direct translation above I don't really interpret it was thrown at him as if he was an intentional target. He moved towards it. I'd imagine that he'd do some blitzball move with it (as it was often shown in game) but whatever floats the reader's boat I guess.

More then anything these sequal ideas are similar to how the prequal Star Wars just took dumps on what made the old trilogy so good. It's just absurd how Nojima/SE just tears down what FFX was about. X-2 was bad in this too with the reunion ending and that perfect ending but at least those were optional. Through normal gameplay in X-2 the ending solidified the message relayed in FFX's ending.

And oh lawd those gifs. Thread delivers.

PK Gaming

LOL.

This is a glorious trainwreck. I think I found some scans of the novel pages. Tidus' uh...unfortunate fate 2 days after being revived by Yuna?

The reviewer's weren't kidding about the gore. Tidus sees a ball roughly the size of a blitz ball, and comes to the conclusion that that's what it exactly is. So he proceeds to run and kick it... explodes. It was a bomb. Yuna gets thrown back by the explosion.... along with Tidus' head which promptly lands by Yuna with his expression frozen with surprise. She promptly passes out.

Yuna resurrects him using pyreflies, however it seems that if Tidus realizes what he is, he'll disappear (whether that means off to the Farplane, or from existence I'm not sure). It seems overall this explaination wasn't explained too well so it could be off the mark. This could explain though why she's seeming cold towards him in the audio drama.

I kinda want X-3 now just to see how far Square will go in their insanity.

A lot of the Japanese readers seem more upset that it was such an opposite tone to what the perfect ending in X-2 was, and the aformentioned gore and sexuality present.
tumblr_maxczv4mF01qh2e19.gif

Holy shit i'm dying

Someone off mentioned this on gaf recently and I seriously thought they were being sarcastic.

Gaf rules

Dark_castle

Sure, I guess?

A whole bunch of reports from Japanese players. I haven't seen anything contradictory.

I never said anything about that, so can you think of something else?

My point was that they apparently couldn't even read the official description correctly.
For the rest, see above: I see no reason to doubt all those Japanese readers commenting on that incident taking place two days after Tidus's return.

Except there are existing contradictions based on the ongoing discussion here. http://ffx3chat.createaforum.com/ge...novella-(ffx-2-5)-separate-amazon-release/75/

Until we find concrete proof of the timeline, we should not jump straight to the conclusion.

Hello there. I came here expecting to find that Tidus' death was just a really bad shitposter posting typical ridiculous troll stuff and found out that Tidus was murdered by an ultraviolent Monty Python sketch.

What a world, what a world.

Yeah, there's a whole book full of stuff that is very shoddily translated. Then it's filtered through 1,000 people in a giant game of telephone, each trying to make it sound worse than the last for the lulz. Just look at the difference between how people described the audio drama and the actual audio drama.

As I said like a week ago when you called it "spin," reading the novel is not the same as reading a vague bullet point list. In this case, even the primary bullet point on that list is significantly mistranslated.

All I said was don't rush to conclusions yet, and you said that was "spin." Guess what? You were completely wrong about that, and I was right. Clear enough for you?
The flying head bit is still there in an attempt to be edgy with all the subtlety and wit of a teenage fanfic writer.

Mr. RHC

Ok I just read the actual summaries, dunno why.. but oh.my.god.

Yu(na) think this is a motherfucking game? Toriyama(or whoever wrote this) will not rest until every main entry in the series is RUINED.

teiresias

I don't know what people expect from SE anymore. It's been plain for some time that the story for your typical Dungeons & Dragons campaign (or whatever PnP RPG you want) developed by teenagers in their basement has better storytelling then the typical Square Enix game nowadays.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

No need to be so abrasive. I think you really need to tone down that self-righteous attitude because right now you're coming off as a huge jerk and it's becoming toxic in just about every single FF thread. Don't get me wrong, you're not the only one doing it but as a whole people in this thread just need to calm down and quit being so obnoxious to each other.

Prompto

Banned
Alright I'm reading through most of this for the first time and I am just amazed at how utterly terrible this sounds. Who the hell comes up with this and thinks its good? Who then approves it? Its just bizarre.

This is fantastic though lol

Shinta

Banned
No need to be so abrasive. I think you really need to tone down that self-righteous attitude because right now you're coming off as a huge jerk and it's becoming toxic in just about every single FF thread. Don't get me wrong, you're not the only one doing it but as a whole people in this thread just need to calm down and quit being so obnoxious to each other.

No I'm not. I posted a one sentence line that was just lightly poking fun at people that were attacking me, with a joke picture, even followed up with "lol" to make sure people knew it was just a joke. People could have easily been like, "oh yeah, you got us on that one. He didn't kick the ball. Oh well."

But instead they try to be abrasive.

I didn't insult anyone at all. I just pointed out why they were inaccurate in their earlier statement. I think I deserved that after the way they attacked me the first time for a completely harmless statement. I honestly can't believe anyone would call me a "huge jerk" in this whole exchange. Honestly, even calling me a jerk is going farther than anything I did, considering I didn't insult anyone this entire thread, even when directly insulted.

Erigu

Not really. Until I see the translations for myself, I will proceed to take your "clarification" a pinch of salt.
Because other people's translations would obviously be more reliable than mine? Nice, thanks. A bit gratuitous, perhaps?

復活からたった二日で死にました。
小説は復活後の三日間程度の間の話がメインなので
うん、復活の数日後だよ
数日後にまさか●ぬとはな…
復活した2日目から既にティーダ<村の人たち
「実は10-2の復活2日後にティーダ死亡、100% EDのも死亡経験後です」なんて後付はもうね
何でバハムートが頑張って戻ってきたのに二日であんなことになるのよ
ティーダ「昨日戻ったばかりだから優しくしてくれない?」
帰ってきて2日であの対応ってのはやっぱちょっと違和感だよな
もう小説販売中止しろよ・・・数日で首チョンパとか色々おかしい
小説のユウナってX-2の3日後なんでしょ?
17歳だぞ そりゃあ反抗期だとか自立し始める年齢だからなー
X-2の3日後だからユウナ19歳、ティーダ17歳だね。
まさかあの感動の再会のエンディングの2日後にバラバラ死体になってるとは思わんかったよな
復活ED初日 海辺から島へ上がるとユウナと引き離されティーダろくに話せずじまい
         ティーダがオーラカの練習用船で寝て起きるとユウナが船を操縦してて
         ぐるっと島を回ってラブラブするつもりが謎の島についたでござる
2日目     なんやかんやめんどくさい展開があってボール爆弾でティーダの首が飛ぶ
         ユウナが謎の島にいた奴(イファーナル)の手を借りてティーダを復活させる
しかも再会して2日目で「私のこともっと解ってると思ってた」ってなんだよ
だから復活後2日目で爆死した事実を思い出したら体が崩壊するのを知ってるユウナが秘密にしてる?
己の為に消えた2年間いなかった恋人に久しぶりに会って2日目でこの台詞は無いなと
ティーダからすればシンや親父を倒したのもつい昨日の出来事なんだよね。
青臭さが売りのティーダに再会して2日目で「俺アーロンみたいになる!」って言わせるユウナさん怖い
復活して2日後に事故死ってなんなの?
会って2日なのにそんな感想しかないんかい…
しかし復活2日目なんだから全体的にティーダにもうちょっと優しくしてあげてほしい
ユウナは何この人思ったより子供っぽいし私の事もっと解ってると思ってたー何か気に入らないし腹立つ(※再会2日目)な感じ
自分の理想通りじゃないと二日で気付いてあの態度ですね女って薄情すぎる
自分の一番好きな人が生きて帰ってきて二日であの態度はどうかんがえてもねえわな
でもずっと会いたかった人なのに2日目で冷めるって
実際には、ティーダが復活して数日間の話で、ティーダ復活に関する補完。
再開の翌日に起きた事件はその現実から引き離してくれたものの、別の現実が二人を襲い、二人の物語だけではなくFFXという物語への大きなインパクトにも繋がります。
キミが帰ってきてたった2日3日でキミに対する思いが全く無くなっており、キミが空気の存在。
キミというカッコイイ転校生がスピラきて初日はどんな人だろうと興味が沸き色々と話しをするが、2日3日経つとキミがあまりにも子供っぽくて鬱陶しい人だと(勝手に)思って徐々に興味が薄れ、話すのも嫌になるという
... But let's wait for those people who didn't understand the official blurb to confirm that for us!

Dark_castle

Are you really surprised that this is happening? People HATE Square Enix. No matter what SE does, even when they made an objectively good game like FFXIV:ARR, there bound to be complaints and then people who defends it. And the rest of the people who never play MMO, but call it sucks anyway because it's made by Square Enix, so it can't be anything good, like this guy.

anaron

People act like Tidus kicking a bomb is out of character.

He almost died from eating too fast once.
It's not about him kicking something that's offensive or out of character. It's Nojima's awful decision to have his head blown off by it just days after X-2's ending.

Top Bottom