• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X -Will- and FFX-2.5 plot discussion thread [Up2: Uh, um, errr, see OP]

MormaPope

Banned
Already better than the audio drama tripe.

At this point I assume most of the talent and upper heads of Square Enix are extremely jaded, and have no confidence that the people that liked games/stories from a decade ago still do. The fan base still exists, but it's grown up. The fact this audio drama focuses on if Yuna and Tidus are together/Jersey Shore styled drama is almost heartbreaking.

Yuna and Tidus should be together by proxy, and that relationship should grow and change overtime. Yuna and Tidus not digging each other or either of them not having the will to work out issues is literally unbelievable.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Full audio drama.

Incomplete summary from the uploader:

YqdckXe.gif

Man, I am getting too old for this shit.

addik

That theory was debunked in one of the Ultimania books.

Was it? I did remember one of the writers coming out to say that the theory was impossible. It still has potential to be sequel material, though. Or worse, compilation material if SE is really desperate to milk the old FF games.

Verendus

Banned
Yuna: I don't know if we can be together anymore.
Tidus: But...why?
Yuna: Sin is back. I like someone else.
Tidus: Why are those two things related?
Yuna: You don't understand. You wouldn't even if I explained.
Tidus: Please, you're breaking my heart.
Yuna: I...like Sin.

Dun dun dun.

MormaPope

Banned
I was kind of thinking that since at the end of X-2 all the factions still exist, but are now trying to work together, maybe X-3 could have instead been about shaping the world instead of saving it.

Put Yuna at the head of the council that New Yevon/Youth League/Machine Guild/etc would presumably have to make to work out their differences and focus on a reconstruction/redevelopment storyline. You have to solve their disagreements, procure resources to rebuild, decide on a direction for the world that fits the needs of as many as possible while managing the expectations of minority groups.

Then for the personal element there's Yuna dealing with her position, the return of Tidus, and the general state of all the relationships and organizations/groups she's gotten herself into since the start of the series.

There were also still monsters everywhere despite Sin disappearing so that element wouldn't have issues staying.

I realize it's a bit not... overly Final Fantasy-ish, but it at least goes in a new direction for the Spira-verse, which by the third game doesn't strike me as a horrible idea.

This is a fantastic idea overall, and plays on FFX's biggest strength, which is the world and what happens in that world for civilization to exist.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
At this point I assume most of the talent and upper heads of Square Enix are extremely jaded, and have no confidence that the people that liked games/stories from a decade ago still do. The fan base still exists, but it's grown up. The fact this audio drama focuses on if Yuna and Tidus are together/Jersey Shore styled drama is almost heartbreaking.

Yuna and Tidus should be together by proxy, and that relationship should grow and change overtime. Yuna and Tidus not digging each other or either of them not having the will to work out issues is literally unbelievable.

Honestly I think they have no new ideas, and decided that if they're going to reuse old characters that they better do something "shocking" to their relationships to create interest. Drama for the sake of drama. aka Bad Fanfiction Reasoning

I know it's new SE and they're stupid, but this point I'm gonna hope that
the whole break-up thing is a fake out as people have suggested and SE isn't actually THAT stupid. Because again, it's wholly unrealistic that it would happen. Not after the lengths they went through to be together.

The general sentiment I'm getting from this thread is that people do want an X-3, but we are painfully aware of SE's recent incompetence with the XIII series... I guess people are afraid they'll ruin the series.

I guess the main reason I'm excited is that the X universe has a really strong base with a really interesting back story.
There's plenty of things in X that is still a mystery: Is Tidus just a dream? What exactly happened to Zanarkand, the faiyth, ect. Final fantasy X was set in a really interesting world.

This is something that XIII never had. The story was bland and boring from the outset.

Dun dun dun.

Auron: Tidus is Sin

I would actually be ok with a FFX-3, but... it depends who is in charge of it. Spira is one of my favorite FF worlds, but I just don't know if I trust SE nowadays.

Yes please!!! I would buy this on PSN/ PS3 day one.

I mean if we can have such no-way-in-hell titles as Shadowrun, Project Eternity or Wasteland 2 in 2013/14 then why not expect FFX-3 for consoles as well?

Stranger things have happened, no?

Go_Ly_Dow

DEAR SQUARE

PLEASE LET ANY IDEAS YOU HAVE FOR FURTHER CONTINUATION OF FFX's STORY END WITH THIS BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF ARTWORK AND NEVER EVER CREATE ANYMORE FAN FICTION FOR THE SAGA. PLEASE LET IT REST BEFORE OUR LOVE FOR IT TURNS TO VILE HATRED.

KIND REGARDS

95% OF THE FINAL FANTASY FANBASE

Verendus

Banned
Auron: Sin Is Tidus.
Because Tidus came back, Sin came back. Yuna knows this, Tidus doesn't. Yuna breaks away from Tidus to try and find a way to resolve the menace without hurting Tidus. This way Tidus won't discover the truth either. The end game is Tidus having to kill himself again so that Sin will disappear. Therefore we are brought full circle to the ending of FFX. So tragic.

I think I have a knack for this...story thing. I think I'm on at least SE level.

IX-2 would only be acceptable if Ito directed it, Uematsu scored it, and the team worked in a separate location, far, far, far away from people like Toriyama, Kitase, and apparently Nojima. It's never going to happen anyway, since VII and VIII sold a lot better :(

Mr Moose

Square-Enix, what have you done!?

I'm a huge fan of 9, but I'd rather have them do 8-2
where we'll finally find out that Rinoa=Ultimecia. Not that I like that theory, but it has major sequel potential.

She's not. Also, Squall isn't dead.

I'm not arguing it isn't Yuna. It's obvious that it's supposed to be her.

I'm just saying she's morphed into Rinoa in terms of looks. She's gone the way of Tifa.

Nomura's got a "type" of girl he obviously likes. Tifa is likely his "ideal" woman(as far as looks are concerned) and Rinoa's an extension of this. Yuna, with her short hair(and her FFX-2 somewhat feathered up hair) looked considerably different, but given her bangs were already showing the signs of "Nomura's type", I even knew back in the day had Yuna ever grown long hair, she'd DEFINITELY fit in with Nomura's harem. I'm also lead to believe that Garnet's design was to reflect this, and all four characters exist as different world avatars to some "ideal goddess"(ideal Nomura goddess) that exists in the "other space" within the FF universe. Not counting Garnet, Nomura's fixation on this "type" isn't that different than Toriyama's recent fixation on Lightning. Hell, in KH, Kairi's become that "type" too.

I'd really like a prequel set in the time period shown in FFX-2. When Zanarkand was an actual city and there was a big war going on. There was so little told, that you can effectively create a new story without any chains holding you back. Plus, it just seems like a much more interesting setting. New characters, different time period, different story, familiar world. What was Spira like at that time and so on? It's like having something fresh to work. It's obvious we're not getting that. SE is likely creating a cash grab of sorts with a smaller budget than what would likely be given to a mainline game. FFX-3 will have a tough time feeling organic because it's a sequel and there will be an inevitable 'tacked on' feeling to it.
See, if Square was SMART, this is how they'd handle "sequels/prequels". A direct sequel, taking place a "few years later" never made sense to me. Ideal "additional installments" work best set in time periods far enough from the initial game not to be weighed down by characters or conflict with the previous development, while being in a time distant enough to show the world in a new light.

I am hoping 100%. But since that is unlikely, I am hoping they at least relegate it to the Vita, 3DS or PS3.

I'm honestly hoping for Vita. It could still look great with a lower budget. It would also make sense considering the HD collection is coming to VITA

3DS would be a downgrade from the hd remake, so that's not exciting... PS3 will be kinda in my closet by the time X-3 comes out. So I honestly hope for PS4 and Xbone if it comes to consoles.

Holmes

Because Tidus came back, Sin came back. Yuna knows this, Tidus doesn't. Yuna breaks away from Tidus to try and find a way to resolve the menace without hurting Tidus. This way Tidus won't discover the truth either. The end game is Tidus having to kill himself again so that Sin will disappear. Therefore we are brought full circle to the ending of FFX. So tragic.

I think I have a knack for this...story thing. I think I'm on at least SE level.
I dig this.

Nomura's got a "type" of girl he obviously likes. Tifa is likely his "ideal" woman(as far as looks are concerned) and Rinoa's an extension of this. Yuna, with her short hair(and her FFX-2 somewhat feathered up hair) looked considerably different, but given her bangs were already showing the signs of "Nomura's type", I even knew back in the day had Yuna ever grown long hair, she'd DEFINITELY fit in with Nomura's harem. I'm also lead to believe that Garnet's design was to reflect this, and all four characters exist as different world avatars to some "ideal goddess"(ideal Nomura goddess) that exists in the "other space" within the FF universe. Not counting Garnet, Nomura's fixation on this "type" isn't that different than Toriyama's recent fixation on Lightning. Hell, in KH, Kairi's become that "type" too.

This is all really disturbing.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
FF
FFII
FFIII
FFIV
FFV
FFVI
FFVII
FFVIII
FFIX
FFX
FFXI
FFXII
FFXIII
FFXIV

Every day that passes is a day closer to Square destroying the legacy of FF6.

Sounds about right. Weren't the Faith kinda responsible for both Tidus and Sin in their own way?

Dun dun dun.

Is this the new "hot skitty on wailord action"?

Zafir

The general sentiment I'm getting from this thread is that people do want an X-3, but we are painfully aware of SE's recent incompetence with the XIII series... I guess people are afraid they'll ruin the series.

I guess the main reason I'm excited is that the X universe has a really strong base with a really interesting back story.
There's plenty of things in X that is still a mystery: Is Tidus just a dream? What exactly happened to Zanarkand, the faiyth, ect. Final fantasy X was set in a really interesting world.

This is something that XIII never had. The story was bland and boring from the outset.
XIII had potential, but they just blew it. Mainly with
Oerba/Pulse
. Relegated stuff to the silly datalog, or just didn't even acknowledge the potential was there.

Even the mishandling of XIII that wasn't the start. They've been awful with sequels since they bothered trying. X-2's story was mostly poor, Advent Children/Dirge of Cerberus people would just rather forget and so would I, Revenant Wings wasn't that great from what I played. The only one I can't comment on is 4, because I disliked the fact it pretty much ended up costing around £50 for the full story on the Wii.

Verendus

Banned
You don't think it'll be for PS4? If it's not that I hope it's for PS3.
I hope it isn't. Plus, it would seem counter productive to make it on the PS4 with the amount of nonsense they already have going on. I just don't want to know that they're actually stupid enough to be making this on next generation when they already have other projects they need to be focusing on to get out of the door as soon as possible. KH3 is years away. FFXV is the PS4 FF and the sooner that comes out, the better. Beyond that, I'd like a new world or new FF. I don't want this tired retread.

If they're so interested in revisiting old worlds, then relegate them to handhelds or even the PS3. It won't cost as much, the resources needed are much less, and it's not taking away from a potential future project.

DEAR SQUARE

PLEASE LET ANY IDEAS YOU HAVE FOR FURTHER CONTINUATION OF FFX's STORY END WITH THIS BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF ARTWORK AND NEVER EVER CREATE ANYMORE FAN FICTION FOR THE SAGA. PLEASE LET IT REST BEFORE OUR LOVE FOR IT TURNS TO VILE HATRED.

KIND REGARDS

95% OF THE FINAL FANTASY FANBASE

Do you mean you want a FF IX-2 after this one? Sure! </SE Logic>

XIII had potential, but they just blew it. Mainly with
Oerba/Pulse
. Relegated stuff to the silly datalog, or just didn't even acknowledge the potential was there.

Even the mishandling of XIII that wasn't the start. They've been awful with sequels since they bothered trying. X-2's story was mostly poor, Advent Children/Dirge of Cerberus people would just rather forget and so would I, Revenant Wings wasn't that great from what I played. The only one I can't comment on is 4, because I disliked the fact it pretty much ended up costing around £50 for the full story on the Wii.

Updates from childhood games usually fail to live up to your expectations. A crappy story in old games was covered up by our imagination of the worlds we played in. We all dreamed of being those characters, in those worlds. Most of us probably named Tidus after ourselves.

As an Adult now, we usually don't roleplay as characters. We hold them up to their own merits, design, dialogue, and of course the story of the game. Final Fantasy games have hardly changed... We have changed. "I was just a boy. A boy about your age, actually. I wanted to change the world, too. But I changed nothing. That is my story."

Do you mean you want a FF IX-2 after this one? Sure! </SE Logic>
IMO, the most ideal situation/scenario for an additional installment related to FFIX would be to to NOT set it on Gaia, but set it on Terra.... During Terra's "Golden Age" before it was even CLOSE to becoming a dying planet. Back when it was bustling, green and was in a state not unlike Gaia, with it's own lore and magical places, and a threat that looms in the shadows. No conflict with FFIX's events, but showing something already known(the world of Terra) in a new light.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why not XII-2 instead? Leave the X saga alone, the fans clearly don't want another sequel to it.

How about... just no sequels. Because SE clearly doesn't know how to handle them.

I would have liked a XII-2 about skypirating starring Balthier and Fran, or even a spin-off series with the same premise.

I mean it would have even worked as a third person action rpg shooter if they really, really wanted to target the West.

However, we ended up with Revenant Wings instead...

Zoe

Jeez, I forgot all of the terminology. Took me forever to realize they were talking about Yevonites(? whatever they were called) and shoopuffs.

Where's the part where Yuna mentioned "bad dream"? I didn't hear it.

As for the
breakup, it happens while those two are eavesdropping. When Yuna tells him there's someone else, he demands to meet the guy. Chumai's friend sees that as an opportunity for himself.

Other thing, Yuna seems to
not want to send people to the Farplane, and their spirits are more corporeal than before for some reason.

This whole thing reads like a crappy fan fiction. Auron is Lulu's father? WTF?
No, supposedly
Chuami's, but she was so young that she doesn't even remember meeting him.

Vamphuntr

Who wrote this bonus story? Is it Nojima? He was saying he wanted a FFX-3, right? Well, the guy also wrote FF8 so I guess it's normal it doesn't make sense.

dramatis

So my Japanese is pretty shabby but here's some of the stuff that fills in a few blanks here and there, hopefully I'm not listening wrong somebody please check.

Kurugum is a '&#36865;&#20736;&#22763;' as Yuna calls him, I'm not sure if this term was used in 10/10-2 but think it means he's a Sender (since summoners are 'summon'-ers, nowadays there's nothing to summon but people still die and require sendings, so presently there are Senders).

Chuami harbors resentment towards Yuna, most likely because of the Auron father thing and also because Chuami actually dislikes Yevon, and Yuna has been doing nothing but praying at the Besaid Temple to a fayth that no longer even exists. Chuami thinks it's bullshit.

A second shoopuf has appeared at Moonflow. In FF10/10-2, the shoopuf at Moonflow is supposed to be the last of its species, so the mystery appearance of a shoopuf who happens to be quite close to the last shoopuf (a sphere of them is described in the audio) is a bit alarming. Thirty years ago the last shoopufs were a couple, but one of them died. My understanding is that Chuami and Kurugum ask Yuna (at Baralai's request) to investigate, and then go Bevelle to meet with Baralai about it. When Yuna refuses, Chuami uses Tidus against her, saying that Tidus is in Bevelle and he seems to be injured, which immediately sparks Yuna's worry.

Yuna agrees to go after consulting Wakka and Lulu, who also come along.

The fayth are acting weird. What fayth normally show are memories or just images of dead people. However, at the Moonflow the traveling crew witness a fayth image respond to a child's question like a sentient being. The child begs her mother to come back, and the mother answers in affirmative.

This later relates to the reappearance of Sin at Bevelle, implying that someone wished for Sin to come back.

In any case, when Sin reappeared, they realize the problem of trying to defeat Sin when summons no longer exist. Wakka and Kurugum defer to Yuna, waiting for her decision on how to handle the new Sin, but like an airhead she says amidst all of this that she must meet Tidus.

LUJnwqa.gif

So Chuami's pissed and she decides to eavesdrop on Yuna and Tidus. Who happen to be having a lovers' quarrel while Sin runs off like Godzilla I suppose.

At this point Kurugum tells Chuami they will have to part because he has to go with Yuna, that Chuami won't understand because she's not a summoner. Chuami is confused, throws her hands up and tells him to do what he wants.

Chuami heads back to Besaid. Tidus also goes, to ask Lulu about the new guy that Yuna likes. Lulu tells him to go find the guy himself.

At the beach, Chuami wonders aloud where the summoners are; Tidus answers that they must go 'there' (I think he's implying Zanarkand?). Chuami asks him if he's okay with being dumped for that, to which Tidus replies, "We made a promise to be together forever."

Chuami thinks he's full of shit, but doesn't say anything because Tidus is clearly doing a really poor job of hiding his pained face.

At the end, in a stadium setting most likely (from the sounds of crowds and cheering), Yuna promises the people she will defeat Sin.

So my takeaway is that this could turn into a 13-2 situation where bringing back Lightning Tidus caused some problems with the fayth and the Farplane. Yuna's wish for Tidus to return in 10-2 is similar to the child who wished for her mother to come home and the shoopuf who suddenly has his/her mate back.

Dali

FFX had such a sad ending. The perfect ending in X-2 also felt somewhat sad: almost dream like. I've never felt satisfied with the ending for either game.

I for one look forward to X-3

That's too bad because I honestly feel this isn't a prelude to a game but something lame no one wants. Maybe a series of visual novels, lol.

frostshade

Neo Member
Am I dreaming or is this actually close to being legit. Sequels are a no-no Square Enix.
So, who has faith in this company again? SMH.

I thought I was dreaming when I read this.

Top Bottom