• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster coming to PS4 on May 12 (NA)

Halabane

Wonder when they announce the PC version? They may as well complete the set and run this right to ground...well...until the cell phone version of course.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Wonder when they announce the PC version? They may as well complete the set and run this right to ground...well...until the cell phone version of course.

Games like III and IV are emulated Android versions.
7 and 8 were done by Eidos and brushed up.
XIII and XIII-2 were born as a side product from their streaming service which for all intents and purposes seems like hell of a bomb, and probably took LR with itself. Maybe Kagari has more to share.
But anyway what I'm driving at is that despite whatever success these releases might enjoy it never seemed like a solid, conscious effort to put any of these games on PC on SE's part and more like an afterthought to whatever they happened to be doing at the time.

Liamc723

I guess here is a good place as any to ask, but is the limited edition of FFX HD on Amazon Uk the same one where you get the steel book tin and art book that's on the Square-Enix store??

I've got that version pre-ordered at Amazon, I know you get the steelbook, but I'm not sure on the art book.

Lucreto

I looked at my trophies to see if I got the lightning one. I did apparently a year ago today. I don't plan on doing that again in a hurry.

Neofire

it's an ffs game, just remastered. by this logic, i'd wonder why ffs15 isn't Ps4 exclusive. it'll do fine numbers on xbone, but the Ps4 numbers will probably be (perhaps tremendously) better.
i don't get it. i'm a n00b when it comes to ffs anyway. ffsx remastered for Ps4 will be the first time I ever play it.
yeah, I guess since it is a remaster.

the latter is probably it coz I highly doubt sony does anything to secure 3rd party exclusives anymore.

having that happen would still make it a console exclusive. but did ffs10 ever release on PC? I thought it was originally a Ps2 game.
uhh, the devil may cry hd collection came out for 360, when it was originally a Ps2 game. same for some of the original Ps2 mgs games.
huh?are we not talking about ffx/ffx-2? when did i mention devil may cry?

Flandy

You implied that games were originally PS2 exclusives had no chance of getting Remastered for consoles other than PlayStation when that isn't true. The Artisan mentioned Devil May Cry because it was originally PlayStation exclusive but when the remaster happened it was ported to 360

Wait. Is the steelbook and artbook EU exclusives? Don't see any pictures of them with the US limited edition. Actually don't even know what comes in the extra box of the US limited edition, unless they really are packing it with a calender.

Stormus

1XWWgEE.jpg

Dude . . . day one. Good for SE doing this right.

The reasons for the xbox 360 remasters of dmc/mgs was easy , Xbox 360 for the longest time was the leading console(not counting pc/wii) .
FF15 was announced for the xbox one at a point where people thought the xbox one could dominate the market like the 360 did(problem is ps4 took that spot handily in almost every market)
ffs15 was announced for xbone at e3, iirc. and yeah i get why the remasters were multiplatform, but for those same reasons, this remaster could've been multiplat as well. but hey, i'm not complaining. an exclusive is an exclusive.

you said "Seeing how the games were only on the PS why even pose the question" and I responded by saying dmc was originally only on playstation, just like ffs, but the remaster was multiplatform.

1XWWgEE.jpg

Dude . . . day one. Good for SE doing this right.
i don't get it.

AESplusF

Wait. Is the steelbook and artbook EU exclusives? Don't see any pictures of them with the US limited edition. Actually don't even know what comes in the extra box of the US limited edition, unless they really are packing it with a calender.

Dammit I'm pretty sure it's just the calendar, why should there be any difference?
May be wrong but not showing the artbook is pretty misleading.

a looong time ago on the internet when I saw the letters ffs, I just thought of final fantasy. then later i found out it stood for 'for fuck's sake' but the habit kinda stuck with me.i'm not seeing it man. help me out?
well please try to break that habit if you could, it's kinda distracting when you posts a lot. And FF13 is an anomaly almost. MS put up some money for marketing seems like, most FF games sell a lot more on PS platforms, and many of them are exclusive to PS for over a decade really. An action game like MGS/DMC has a better chance of actually selling decently on Xbox

well please try to break that habit if you could, it's kinda distracting when you posts a lot. And FF13 is an anomaly almost. MS put up some money for marketing seems like, most FF games sell a lot more on PS platforms, and many of them are exclusive to PS for over a decade really. An action game like MGS/DMC has a better chance of actually selling decently on Xbox
OK, I will try. 13 obviously sold better on Ps3, but it still did decent numbers on 360, yeah? iirc, the Ps3 version sold 800K while the 360 sold 500K. normally when a 360 version of a multiplat outsells the Ps3 version, the ratio is much larger.

Boobs. HD PS4 boobs.

We're a mature bunch around here.
oh.

I wonder what it says about me that I totally bypassed the character model and zoomed in on the ground textures.
yeah. i don't care much for the sexuality entertainment let alone video games. but i don't want to start something else here

I wonder what it says about me that I totally bypassed the character model and zoomed in on the ground textures.

lol I did the same thing. To be fair, one of the things that impressed me the most while playing the PS3 version was the improved ground textures. Also the colors in this game are going to pop so nicely. Can't wait.

mieumieu

OK, I will try. 13 obviously sold better on Ps3, but it still did decent numbers on 360, yeah? iirc, the Ps3 version sold 800K while the 360 sold 500K. normally when a 360 version of a multiplat outsells the Ps3 version, the ratio is much larger.

oh.

yeah. i don't care much for the sexuality entertainment let alone video games. but i don't want to start something else here

IIRC, FF13 sales on PS3:X360 is about 2:1 in North America it seems, but Type-0 HD sells about 4:1, so the trend is that less and less people will buy Japanese games on Xbox consoles.

Judging from Square Enix recent announcements like Star Ocean 5 (exclusive on PlayStation platforms while SO4 was timed exclusive on Xbox 360), they may not even put games on the Xbone apart from those big-name releases like FF15 and KH3.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Don't worry, I did the same. It took me a while to figure what Stormus was talking about until he clarified his post by telling us to look dead center into the screen.

And then I rolled my eyes.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
We should start a FFX news thread for the PS4 version, just to see who would show up MUAHAHAHA

Surely that's not it...
i would've liked to think it was something else but that's probably it.
IIRC, FF13 sales on PS3:X360 is about 2:1 in North America it seems, but Type-0 HD sells about 4:1, so the trend is that less and less people will buy Japanese games on Xbox consoles.

Judging from Square Enix recent announcements like Star Ocean 5 (exclusive on PlayStation platforms while SO4 was timed exclusive on Xbox 360), they may not even put games on the Xbone apart from those big-name releases like FF15 and KH3.
this could also have to do with playstation's success so far being much greater versus its competition than it was last generation. and damn, i did not know type 0 on Ps4 was outselling xbone 4 to 1.

Don't worry, I did the same. It took me a while to figure what Stormus was talking about until he clarified his post by telling us to look dead center into the screen.

And then I rolled my eyes.
stormus wasn't the one to give that answer. son of D was.

which means...answer still yet unclear?

Inuhanyou

Yeah, they didn't touch the faces. Slight disappointment but not a dealbreaker IMO.

Good to see the loadtimes fixed

Shin-Ra

A few observations from the screenshots and video so far:

- AA looks great by console remaster standards to-date (but maybe should be even better considering how basic the rendering features are, capped at 30fps)
- Some oblique surfaces are revealing anisotropic filtering isn't where it should be, 16x across the board
- Tidus PS3 hair textures again, high res colour detail but there isn't enough of a gradual transition from opaque to transparent at the tips
- A2C transparency for grass, maybe another holdover from the PS3 version targeting 1080p
- Textures already had some shadow detail baked in so the SSAO layers up a little too thick in some places

Inuhanyou

Forget all that, the real thing we need is pixel counters! Is the game still native 1080p? Or did they upgrade the res?

Falk

that puzzling face
Ambient occlusion makes Lulu's cleavage look like a gaping black hole from which nothing ever escapes.

finally

Inuhanyou

The AO looks a bit off in certain areas.

It shows that the game wasnt made for it really, but in most cases its serviceable from what i can tell.....but man, 50 bones is a lot

Ishida

Banned
Fuck... The ONLY thing stopping me from getting this Remaster are those fucking faces.

I can tolerate Yuna's new model, but Tidus is just ugly as shit.

Inuhanyou

^ You should still get it, Tidus's facial LOD changes throughout the game, some times it actually looks pretty decent. You end up getting used to it.

I can't believe I live in a world where a PS2 game has better character face models than the ones on PS4. Are you kidding me SE?! XD

To be fair, SE had damn good facial capture in the PS2 era, beyond a lot of work in the PS3 era, and their PS3 work was even better still. I think the new facial models were outsourced work to China like a lot of the other assets instead of done in house.

Although i don't personally know why they bothered to redo the faces and ditch the original mocap anyway.

Did the original facial assets not mesh properly with the new models?

cwistofu

Has it been asked/confirmed yet whether they fixed the mistake with Rikku's eyes when she's wearing her Al Bhed gear (when you first meet her)?

Lothar

Banned

It's probably bad when I'm watching this video and I'm thinking that the version that came out 14 years looked far far far better. I'm always concentrating on the characters more than the background anyway. The characters are mainly what I see. I think I'll forget about this remaster and just play the PS2 game again. There's no excuse for the characters to look so shitty and be so less expressive.

Xenus

^ You should still get it, Tidus's facial LOD changes throughout the game, some times it actually looks pretty decent. You end up getting used to it.

To be fair, SE had damn good facial capture in the PS2 era, beyond a lot of work in the PS3 era, and their PS3 work was even better still. I think the new facial models were outsourced work to China like a lot of the other assets instead of done in house.

Although i don't personally know why they bothered to redo the faces and ditch the original mocap anyway.

Did the original facial assets not mesh properly with the new models?

Odd that they didn't just touch up the facial models in house after most of the work was done outsourcing, It likely could have been done by a small team and would have helped the look at lot.

Top Bottom