• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY X/X 2 HD Remaster for PS4?

HeelPower

iiFXA2awEL9lu.gif

FUCK

I didn't REALIZE THIS AHHHHHH

I knew the older animations were better but I kept telling myself maybe I am nostalgic...

Its true :(

It was already 1080p. That leaves 8xMSAA on top of 1080p :D

Technically, I am sure there are things that can be done.

But SE really doesn't care about AA so much to do that lol

But I hope they do add stuff like this...Would be nice ,but unexpected.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
And you know....the 1080p mode of FFX yielded minor but noticeable framerate drops...you had to set the control panel to 720p to erase those. With a PS4 verison, a completely locked 30 with 8 to 4xMSAA with perfect sub pixel quality is now possible.

Yeah it won't be the absolute BEST best version because they took out mocap from the PS2 version, but that's somewhat of a quibble compared to the rest of the game. In general they did great work on it as a remaster. I really love "someday the dream will end" and "hurry/run" reorchestrated

ff9 wont come to PC cos square are lazy.. there was never a PC release originally like 7 and 8, it's not new enough for them to have ALL the original assets (probably) so it's gonna forever be a ps1 game where its resolution seriously let it down.. :( and the speed of the game play is a pain.

i'd take ff9 over any other FF if they fixed the above.

Every Final Fantasy is going to be on Steam eventually isn't it?

Hopefully Kingdom Herats too.

ff9 wont come to PC cos square are lazy.. there was never a PC release originally like 7 and 8, it's not new enough for them to have ALL the original assets (probably) so it's gonna forever be a ps1 game where its resolution seriously let it down.. :( and the speed of the game play is a pain.

Haven't emulators / mods fixed this?

cafemomo

Should they ever re-release FFIX, have an option to speed up the battles and I'll buy 9 copies

Inuhanyou

Guys, do you think they will allow us to move our saves over from platform to platform?

Inuhanyou

They should...they're cloud saves right?

Yeah, but they have to enable cross save i think for it to matter..i know that's the case for vita and ps3, hopefully ps4 too

Wow, they really changed facial expressions in the PS3 version? Glad I have PCSX2 then. That's the only remaster I need and I can still listen to the original music too.

Its noticeable, but not a major problem. Championing emulators isn't in good taste. Outside of the faces, literally everything else is better, recreated assets, texture work, character remodeling, framerate(yeah the ps2 version tanked on a lot of sections) on top of the international edition additions

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Its noticeable, but not a major problem. Championing emulators isn't in good taste. Outside of the faces, literally everything else is better, recreated assets, texture work, character remodeling, framerate(yeah the ps2 version tanked on a lot of sections) on top of the international edition additions
huh? Why?

Valnen

The international content is a big deal for people in NA. You'd have to import to get that stuff. These remasters are perfect for NA customers, a huge upgrade overall. Same goes for both Kingdom Hearts collections.

I don't see why using an emulator is bad taste. It's my game, why can't I play it how I want? Definitely off topic, I just don't get that line of thinking.

As far as the PS4 remaster goes, I'll have to see what they changed over the PS3 version. Besides the faces I didn't really like some of the music changes. It might be nostalgia, but some of them sounded weird. Some of them sound great though (my favorite track).

Inuhanyou

huh? Why?

Unless your burning your own ISO's(which i don't automatically assume unless proven otherwise because people are cheap), i don't think acting superior about ripping illegal ISO's off the net to play on your PC measures up in any form to actually playing a real legitimate upgrade like this kind of remaster is, even if you have to pay for it.

BocoDragon

Because they're illegal and don't get the devs money for their good work?
Emulators are perfectly legal.

And Square got paid for their work in 2001 when we bought the discs we can now rip to our PC.

Unless your burning your own ISO's(which i don't automatically assume unless proven otherwise because people are cheap), i don't think acting superior about ripping illegal IOS's off the net to play on your PC measures up in any form to actually playing a real legitimate upgrade like this kind of remaster is, even if you have to pay for it.
You just automatically assumed. You just did it. In the wrong direction.

It actually is likely that those 10 million of us who bought the game would rip it ourselves rather than download it off the internet. We all have DVD drives on our PCs!

Emulator =/= piracy, and you should feel bad for assuming it was.

Inuhanyou

It actually is likely that those 10 million of us who bought the game would rip it ourselves rather than download it off the internet. We all have DVD drives on our PCs!

This is getting into a different topic altogether, and i don't want to pursue it further. My viewpoint on the cheapness of people to get things for free aside, the ISO of FFX and X2 does not, in any form, compare to this actual remaster, which actually had very nice work done on it to elevate it far above any version of these games you could possibly get.

Squire

Banned
Because they're illegal and don't get the devs money for their good work?

I figured someone would need to spell it out explicitly.

Emulators are perfectly legal.

And Square got paid for their work in 2001 when we bought the discs we can now rip to our PC.

I totally believe you.

I mean you're so defensive. There must be a good reason!

ZeroX03

Banned
Unless your burning your own ISO's(which i don't automatically assume unless proven otherwise because people are cheap), i don't think acting superior about ripping illegal ISO's off the net to play on your PC measures up in any form to actually playing a real legitimate upgrade like this kind of remaster is, even if you have to pay for it.

Firstly; assuming people are pirating without proof is frowned pretty hard upon here. If someone is playing a new game a week before it comes out without showing a copy, sure, they should be providing proof of a copy/purchase. Otherwise don't jump to conclusions.

Secondly; the PS2 era Final Fantasy are literally the easiest games to still find of the PS2 roster. X, X-2 and XII are readily available new at under $20.

Inuhanyou

Sony sold all their SE shares a while back i think...they have no ties to that company outside of mutual good will due to their history

chemicals

At first I was gonna say "kinda sad, ps4 is like a me too console"

but really they're selling so many consoles worldwide. Hopefully ffx reaches a new audience, and this isn't just a money grab

me0wish

Thanks for the great news guys, I really loved what I've played of FFX on the emulator, can't wait for it to hit steam.

BocoDragon

I totally believe you.

I'm zero percent defensive, because I'm not even running PCSX2. And I own the HD remaster.

It's that when someone assumes emulators means piracy, that is so silly that it deserves to be called out.

I figured someone would need to spell it out explicitly.

I totally believe you.

If you don't actually know anything about the laws regarding emulation, don't pretend you do. Emulation is not illegal nor can you get arrested for writing an emulator.

There are lots of ways to get in trouble with emulation, most of which involve piracy or attempting to sell an emulator for profit, but actually writing and distributing an emulator for console hardware is not and has never been illegal.

Inuhanyou

I'm zero percent defensive, because I'm not even running PCSX2. And I own the HD remaster.

It's that when someone assumes emulators means piracy, that is so silly that it deserves to be called out.

I'm trying to not respond too much because i'm subtly trying to steer the topic back on rails, but to clarify, its not that i think emulation is illegal or anything like that. I know what the law is. I'm saying that i don't trust people in general not to steal ISO's if they have the means to get them, which definitely is illegal.

That was probably what got this whole topic, off topic. And i apologize for bringing it up.

This remaster is good enough that everybody should take part in buying it, no ISO is going to get you what the worthwhile upgrades in this version get you. That's probably what i should have said instead.

BocoDragon

I'm trying to not respond too much because i'm subtly trying to steer the topic back on rails, but to clarify, its not that i think emulation is illegal or anything like that. I know what the law is. I'm saying that i don't trust people in general not to steal ISO's if they have the means to get them, which definitely is illegal.

What is it about an emulator that makes it different than a console?

It has no copy protection.

But then, neither does your iPod. Or your PC. We don't automatically assume people with those devices are pirating, do we?

The emulator itself is no evidence of piracy. Especially when we all have devices on our computers that allow us to rip our own copies. It's not nearly as eyebrow raising as with a cart console ("did you really rip that SNES game yourself? doubt that").

This remaster is good enough that everybody should take part in buying it, no ISO is going to get you what the worthwhile upgrades in this version get you. That's probably what i should have said instead.

Yes, I think the beauty of these FF remasters is that they do put additional work into them that give them value beyond an emulated upscale. But actually, someone could consider that a downside (i.e. they changed the music). So I think we should hold the ability to play PS2 games in HD on an emulator as a valuable thing... nothing to be ashamed of. We should celebrate it, actually.

Wait... Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, Final Fantasy VII PC port coming to PS4 and Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remastered coming to PS4?
So, does that mean Final Fantasy XV will be coming in 2015 and if that's true, then all the games coming in 2015 combined will be the year of Final Fantasy!

mind_blown.gif

Wait... Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, Final Fantasy VII PC port coming to PS4 and Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remastered coming to PS4?
So, does that mean Final Fantasy XV will be coming in 2015 and if that's true, then all the games coming in 2015 combined will be the year of Final Fantasy!

mind_blown.gif

First off I would like to point out the FFXIV expansion is also spring next year, so even more FF. Second, this means nothing for FFXV's release. It's very unlikely FFXV will be out next year in any region.

Sakura

Now I don't know if I want to get KHHD or not. Though if KH and FFX were already 1080p on the PS3, ain't it just going to be the same on the PS4?

Valnen

mind_blown.gif

And don't forget the FFXIV expansion!

Top Bottom