• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Squire

Banned
I think I'm going to start playing X-2 again soon. Anyone have/know of a good layout of which girls should use which dresspheres?

Would be much appreciated.

Atlantis

I think I'm going to start playing X-2 again soon. Anyone have/know of a good layout of which girls should use which dresspheres?

Would be much appreciated.

Haven't run through HD yet, so some of this might not be applicable. (Or I'm just remembering wrong.)

Most of the Dresspheres are useful at some point, even if if it's for a few fights. At the same time, most of them have one or two useful abilities while the rest of their kit is very niche/useless. It makes leveling fairly effortless, as the "necessary" stuff is very easy to get out of the way, so I'd recommend just going for whatever seems fun and powerful to you.

Of course there's some Dresspheres like White Mage, where you pretty much want everything.

If you want something more specific, I'm just gonna copy and paste and earlier post of mine...

Festivalist and Trainer are probably the least useful for me. (Paine has the best version of both if you want to use them) I find Gun Mage pretty suspect as well, though others in this thread like it a lot.

Looking down the list, everything else gets at least some use from me. Samurai is pretty bad, but its self-healing/buff abilities are good carryovers to another sphere. Lady Luck isn't too useful for 'real' fights, but double exp/gil/items and free bribing make it very useful for grinding.

Squire

Banned
Haven't run through HD yet, so some of this might not be applicable. (Or I'm just remembering wrong.)

Most of the Dresspheres are useful at some point, even if if it's for a few fights. At the same time, most of them have one or two useful abilities while the rest of their kit is very niche/useless. It makes leveling fairly effortless, as the "necessary" stuff is very easy to get out of the way, so I'd recommend just going for whatever seems fun and powerful to you.

Of course there's some Dresspheres like White Mage, where you pretty much want everything.

If you want something more specific, I'm just gonna copy and paste and earlier post of mine...

Thanks!

krossj

Just completed this. Picked it up at launch but took a break and finally got back to it a few weeks ago. I finished the original when it was released so some aspects of the game felt dated but I still really enjoyed my time with it this time round. Completed more side quests this time. Got some celestial weapons, sigils/ crests, Anima and the Magus sisters etc. Still a lot to do If i want to go back though.

The character models while being revamped still looked rough around the edges and some of the animation is bizarre. The camera is another area which is really lacking and frustrating in certain areas but those are the few set backs I had. The visual design (perhaps ignoring a couple of character design here and there) is incredible. The environments and general world design is still beautifully crafted even after all this time. The design of the aeons is some of the best creature designs in the whole series, on par with those in FFXII for me. The detail of everything was even more noticeable this time round. I know a lot of these are a given for the FF series but the last I played was FFXIII-2 which was lacking in a lot of areas compared with the main numbered entries. Soundtrack was still enjoyable even with the small changes they made.

The game is not very difficult throughout but for the most part the battle system keeps it fun and it has some challenging bosses or a Malboro could always ambush the party with a bad breath and I would just sit back and watch as the characters destroy each other.

Couldn't get into FFX-2 the first time round but going tot give it another go sometime soon.

Anyone ever encounter a glitch where in Chapter 1, after talking to Cid at Zanarkand, the monkeys still block your path to Isaaru? Because that is happening to me right now on my second NG+ playthrough. I'm at 99% and just want to get to the part where I can give that sphere to New Yevon to finally 100% this stupid game.

EDIT

I just had to talk to the guy that was standing beside Cid. I couldn't see him because of how dark my screen on my Vita was. I talked to him and they moved out of the way.

funkypie

Banned
Just started the game again. It seems that tidus zanikan is real is the official word from square. I preferred it believing his home was a dream that sin would visit by going to the wall of the fayth.

Also why does sin even attack it at the start when it is supposed to be protecting. Would make sense if it was a dream like I originally thought.

Arzehn

Just beat FFX and FFX-2 (this one for the first time). Was pretty happy with the games and enjoyed X-2 for what it was, but wanted to see what that thread about the audio drama was about that I avoided before (since i planned on play X-2 eventually). Watched the audio drama first, thought it wasn't as bad as I thought that 40 page thread was sounding, so I went back to the thread and discovered the novella...

It somehow just ruined the whole series for me. Also not touching X-3 if it's ever made if that's the premise.

The worst part about it is that the guy Nojima still has a job at SE... working on FFXV.

Do yourself a favor and don't read about it if you haven't.

I finally Platinum-ed FFX2. Let me just say... That FFX2 Last Mission is fucking terrible and is the perfect lesson for terrible game design.

Falk

that puzzling face
You wot m8?

It's 100% roguelike, down to a T, with Final Fantasy flavorings. It was awesome for what it is. I guess forcing it down people's throats for a platinum is a little unreasonable though!

namDa65

Goddamn. This game is drop dead gorgeous on the vita. Loving the game so far. Got 20 hours into FF13 and then stopped but i am really enjoying this much more.

Has anyone here already beaten penance and the dark Aeons in FFX hd? I did a few months ago and it was pretty tough.

Only Dark Aeon I had to take out so far was Dark Shiva because I rushed through the Macalania temple and missed the destruction sphere, and she was guarding the door when I went back for it... Had to spend some time in Omega Ruins grinding up Yojimbo but once I was pretty sure the connection between him and Yuna was solid, it only took three or four attempts to get Zanmato for the one-hit kill... Can't imagine what it's like to actually fight these guys, though... They're about ten times more powerful than my current party...

I finally dodged the 200 lightning bolts and got the Onion Knight for Lulu... damn, that little familiar turns a pretty good black mage into a monster!

sasuke_91

I don't get Blitzball. That game is no fun at all. My team is weak as hell. The opponent also levels up, so I have no chance of winning anything. My goalkeeper's (Wedge) status for catching the ball is 2 and he's on level 6. The opponent is on his side of the field and still manages to score a goal.
I just want to win a few matches to level up Wakka's weapon. I don't even like Blitzball :/

Falk

that puzzling face
Keepa -should- actually carry you till you get a better keeper. Especially if you have Wedge, Tidus, Brother carrying forward/mid and virtually no one gets past. (Brother is insanely fast)

Vashetti

Banned
I kept all of the Besaid Aurochs, swapped Datto out for Wakka though.

It gets easier and easier the more you progress. Finished with Blitzball now, got everything I needed.

sasuke_91

It gets easier and easier the more you progress. Finished with Blitzball now, got everything I needed.

Sounds great. I guess I'll just restart and forget about building a better team. I just want to get Wakka's item anyway.

wormania

If you choose the correct starting line up it's incredibly easy from level 1 (just finished the Jupiter Sigil blitz league 10-0-0 from a level 1 starting position), however you then need to start switching out members for better level 10+ guys otherwise you end up getting outpaced.

On a not-blitzball note, has anyone else noticed that some areas with swimmable water only render at 720p? Some places in Besaid, Baaj Temple and the first cave of Mt Gagazet are all areas I've noticed it. Weirdest is that in the Besaid screen with the ship it's 720p as you zone in (on land), but if you then go in to the water and exit the water it switches back to 1080p.

Falk

that puzzling face
Vita is lower resolution than PS3 (obviously, since PS3 is 1080p) and has some framerate dips scattered about a playthrough. You can take it on the go, though.

(Not sure if you were expecting a different answer, heh)

Framerate dips are very rare though. I can only remember it happening in one particular cutscene early on, plus an extremely specific situation in combat. 99.99% of the time, it's fine.

Vita vs PS3 is pretty much a question of where you prefer to play. I prefer JRPGs on handhelds because of sleep mode.

Bladenic

I feel like maybe the PS3 controller would lend itself better to some minigames, can anyone attest to the Vita's performance in some minigames that maybe require fast button inputs? FFX-2 is pretty bad with some minigames too.

Falk

that puzzling face
Anecdotally, on this thread majority of the 'is there input lag with Tidus' limit break?' complaints have come from the Vita side. Whether it's actual, measurable input-to-display lag, unwieldier Vita buttons, coincidence or plain placebo is up in the air.

(I personally didn't notice a difference)

Bladenic

Yeah I'm torn. I am only considering the Vita due to portability and the fact that I have so much downtime at my job that I could easily squeeze hours of playtime while getting paid. But I would otherwise get the PS3 version in a flash. Ugh decisions.

Does anyone know of any site that is still selling the Asian-English Vita version of X? I've been checking Play-Asia for the past few months but they have been out of stock and I don't think they will be restocking it.

Blader

I don't need to win, but I have to win. There's no way I can let those cocky dick taunting Goers win, I would literally regret it for the rest of the game if not my life.

haha, I have the same compulsion. I just beat it last night myself too -- 3-2, double overtime! For a match that means absolutely nothing to the story, it's probably the most tense and excited I've ever felt playing this game. :lol

Sulla1980

haha, I have the same compulsion. I just beat it last night myself too -- 3-2, double overtime! For a match that means absolutely nothing to the story, it's probably the most tense and excited I've ever felt playing this game. :lol

Totally worth it to see Wakka with that trophy. Just feels right, no playthrough is complete without that victory

Blader

So I've definitely screwed myself right? I missed the destruction sphere at Besaid Temple and didn't bother to redo it then because I figured I could just come back to get it with the airship later. Of course that was the NA version...

There's no way I can go back for it without fighting Dark Valefor right? I'm at Macalania Temple right now fwiw.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'll be honest, back when the game first came out, when I saw Bevelle I was like "screw dat" and looked for a guide.

Blader

I don't understand people who missed the Destruction Spheres. They're super easy to get folks, you don't even need a walkthrough.

I think I cleared the Besaid cloister without realizing I was about to, and like I said, thought I could just return later to pick up the destruction sphere treasure as I had done when played the game 10 years ago...forgetting about the Dark Aeon difference between then and now.

I guess I'll just try my luck with Yojimbo and Zanmato, I kinda don't want to resort to doing that, it just seems like anticlimactic way of dealing with things (though not too far off my old game strategy of spamming every major boss with aeon overdrives :lol) but taking a look at Dark Valefor's stats there's no way in hell I'm ever gonna beat that thing the normal way.

Aside from destruction spheres, are they any other things I could miss the first time around and have to cross a Dark Aeon to get back to?

iosefe

I think I cleared the Besaid cloister without realizing I was about to, and like I said, thought I could just return later to pick up the destruction sphere treasure as I had done when played the game 10 years ago...forgetting about the Dark Aeon difference between then and now.

I guess I'll just try my luck with Yojimbo and Zanmato, I kinda don't want to resort to doing that, it just seems like anticlimactic way of dealing with things (though not too far off my old game strategy of spamming every major boss with aeon overdrives :lol) but taking a look at Dark Valefor's stats there's no way in hell I'm ever gonna beat that thing the normal way.

Aside from destruction spheres, are they any other things I could miss the first time around and have to cross a Dark Aeon to get back to?
Another overdrive for Valefor And a Jecht sphere back in Besaid. you would have to backtrack all the way from djose temple

gkryhewy

I am playing these back to back on vita now. Just beat FFX yesterday, and started X-2. Am I crazy, or does X-2 have a higher resolution on vita than X? It looks notably cleaner/sharper- like it's native.

ZeroX03

Banned
I really need to get back to completing X-2 at some point. Sticking to a guide for 100% really makes it a slog.

I don't understand people who missed the Destruction Spheres. They're super easy to get folks, you don't even need a walkthrough.

It's very easy to accidentally trigger the end of a Cloister, especially ones like Besaid.

I am playing these back to back on vita now. Just beat FFX yesterday, and started X-2. Am I crazy, or does X-2 have a higher resolution on vita than X? It looks notably cleaner/sharper- like it's native.

You sound a tiny bit crazy to me. X-2 has a bunch of visual issues and glitches in both the PS3 and especially the Vita version. Some areas that were cleaned up nicely in X HD seem a lot muddier in X-2, it was a lazier port.

X-2 is native res inside Gullwings. I forgot if it's also native during exploration but it's not native in battle.

FFX is only native at the intro title, the sunset scene with Sin and whenever the map appears on screen during the story.

gkryhewy

X-2 is native res inside Gullwings. I forgot if it's also native during exploration but it's not native in battle.

FFX is only native at the intro title, the sunset scene with Sin and whenever the map appears on screen during the story.

This makes sense. I really only notice the clarity inside Gullwings. Exploration and battle both look comparable to FFX. Thanks.

Technically the Besaid one is the easiest to miss, if only because (during the storyline) inserting the wrong sphere at the wrong time auto-ends the puzzle and triggers a cutscene that removes you from the Cloister of Trials, whereas in the Kilika/Djose/Macalania temples you don't have to leave until you feel like it and there's no state in which the Destruction Sphere puzzle can't be completed.

kizito

Hello GAF !
Could anyone who owns Final Fantasy X HD Remaster tell me if it is possible to put the audio in Japanese with japanese subtitles ? Preferably on Vita if possible !

Blader

As it happens, I did return to Besaid to sick Yojimbo on Dark Valefor, and Zanmato'd him my first time at bat! Literally my very first summon of Yojimbo all game, so that was a nice stroke of luck.

Rinoa

I'm here to complain about chocobos and lightning dodging :|
Should I just farm Dark Matters?

lcIw1Lk.jpg

also, I bring you the best Auron cosplay (kenken)

Blader

For anyone who's done the Omega Ruins:

I completely skipped this dungeon when I first played the game a decade ago (just burned out on other sidequests and blitzball), and I plan on completing it this time around, but is it worth it doing before or after fighting
Jecht/BFA
? I have control of the airship now but my worry is that defeating Ultima/Omega Weapon now will leave me overpowered for the remaining story bosses. Is
Jecht
still tougher than either of them or will hitting the Omega Ruins now leave me too strong for the endgame?

Bladenic

Finally got this lolz

Anyway I will never forgive whomever is responsible for ruining the amazing boss theme of the original. Enemy Attack. The new version is terrible, and it's frankly ruining bosses and even some iconic moments for me. The Sin attack on the boat to Kilika was perfectly in sync with the music of the game. Not so anymore, it's completely out of sync, and the new version is just overdone and yet somehow more muted than the original.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I know this is coming to PS4 later this year. Have they said if it's digital only or will there be a disc version? I would buy again if there's a retail release.

I have the PS3 and Vita versions, but I doubt the save file would be compatible with the PS4 so I don't want to make to much progress if I can't continue.

Bladenic

I know this is coming to PS4 later this year. Have they said if it's digital only or will there be a disc version? I would buy again if there's a retail release.

I have the PS3 and Vita versions, but I doubt the save file would be compatible with the PS4 so I don't want to make to much progress if I can't continue.

wow you must REALLY love these games. I mean I do too but not enough to buy this release 3 times.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
wow you must REALLY love these games. I mean I do too but not enough to buy this release 3 times.

bahaha I do! FFX and FFVIII are my faves of the series so I'd buy them any time there's a slightly improved version :D

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Can someone explain to me how the 1080P option works in this game? Do I need to uncheck every resolution but 1080P in my PS3's settings to have it run at 1080P? And are there any negatives to going 1080P vs 720p?

Shizuka

I want to go back and start X-2 HD, although I want to get 100% on my first playthrough. I've been thinking of getting the guide, it's not that expensive. Does it help with getting 100% and everything else?

Top Bottom