• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI gets new story expansion "The Voracious Resurgence", the first part to release during the next update on August 6th.

Boss Mog

OGP_EN.jpg

Sure some new quests are periodically incorporated into the game that add small snippets of story but FFXI hasn't had any full story expansion since 2015's "Rhapsodies of Vana'diel" which was meant to be a swan song for the long running MMO as it neatly tied all the stories from the previous expansions together with a nice bow to wrap things up completely and happily. 5 years later and Square's most profitable FF game by far is still going strong and to thank the fans for their continued support during 18 years since the game came out, they decided to release this new story content.

Square-Enix launched a website for the expansion:

Those who previously played the game can come back and play for free during the "Return to Vana'diel" campaign which runs from August 7 to August 17 and try out the new story. To that end you can download the client here.

For those that have never played the game there's a discount campaign running from August 7 to August 31 where you can buy the game with all its expansions for $9.99/9,99€ which includes 30 days free.

I still play the game from time to time, the combat is still very fun and rewarding at high levels.

Rikoi

I thought they were done with Rhapsodies, it's nice that they are still keeping FFXI alive, even though it's a game for veterans right now, it's very hard to get into endgame unless you really commit to it.
I played it for a long time, this game refuses to die.
I think they also announced something big for it's 20th anniversary in 2022 a while ago.

Shantae

Banned
I thought they were done with Rhapsodies, it's nice that they are still keeping FFXI alive, even though it's a game for veterans right now, it's very hard to get into endgame unless you really commit to it.
I think they also announced something big for it's 20th anniversary in 2022 a while ago.
I don’t want the game to die, but as someone who played it for over a decade, it feels impossible to go back to. It was a ghost land when I logged in :( I didn’t see a single other user on my server. Was sad.

Setzer

I wish SE would update FFXI with the same engine FFXIV is using and re-do the UI to make it more friendly for PC users. I know it will probably never happen but I enjoyed playing XI more than I did XIV. Wasn't there suppose to be a mobile version of FFXI coming at some point?

Ma-Yuan

Everytime I read about this game I feel like a drug addict. Played it from 2003 to 2011 and it feels like it want it back in my life but I was addicted... Now I have two kids and even short single player games feel like an unbeatable hurdle to me sometimes 🤣

Rikoi

I don’t want the game to die, but as someone who played it for over a decade, it feels impossible to go back to. It was a ghost land when I logged in :( I didn’t see a single other user on my server. Was sad.
The only active server is Asura, which still counts some thousands players online at any time.
The others are more or less active, (I think ragnarok and odin are on the medium side).
Considering how the game works right now it's good to stay on a not-so-full server if you want to play catchup and then transfer to a more populated server, because you will not have competition on camping mobs to level up job points.

I wish SE would update FFXI with the same engine FFXIV is using and re-do the UI to make it more friendly for PC users. I know it will probably never happen but I enjoyed playing XI more than I did XIV. Wasn't there suppose to be a mobile version of FFXI coming at some point?
Yes, it's supposed to be made by Nexon, it was in development for ages though.
Personally I think it will never come out until FFXI is alive.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Yes they teased a big announcement for 2022 with rumors suggesting it could be a remake or a sequel but I don't wanna get my hopes up.

Yeah I don't think that's possible even the lowest populated server has hundreds of players at a minimum. Most people hang out in Adoulin these days with Mhaura and Norg being other popular spots due to certain content or popular NPCs being there. Jeuno should also be fairly busy but the 3 starter cities will be ghost towns for the most part.

Last edited:

Valonquar

That is surprising. I've played everything up to just before that Rhapsodies of Vana'diel came out. The game is much easier now. Can solo to 99 on most jobs. It's still not very beginner friendly by any means though. Relics still feel as unattainable as ever, just ... more soloable if you have an enourmous amount of patience. . . but then the final steps to make the weapon truely worthwhile still crush the soul.

Dthomp

Man, some of my fondest gaming memories are staying up late on my PS2 playing this game for hours and hours into the night. Unfortunately, the change to making the game more solo friendly really killed any interest I could muster to return to the game. I don't want a single player experience, the experience was finding a good group and having fun. If they ever went full WoW Classic with this game, they could charge me whatever and I'd be there day 1.

zeorhymer

Good lord I did not see this coming! I knew they were trying to make XI into the mobile market, but never expected to see another expansion. It would be nice to have graphics updated, but the engine is so old, I doubt that they have the manpower to rebuild it.

Shantae

Banned
FFXI is better than FFXIV and any other MMORPG with the only exception that is on par being Eve Online.

come at me :messenger_sunglasses:
I don't need to come at you, because you're not wrong. It was the best online gaming experience I've ever had.
Yeah I don't think that's possible even the lowest populated server has hundreds of players at a minimum. Most people hang out in Adoulin these days with Mhaura and Norg being other popular spots due to certain content or popular NPCs being there. Jeuno should also be fairly busy but the 3 starter cities will be ghost towns for the most part.
When I last logged in, even Jeuno was a ghost town. I didn't know where people would hang out anymore, so I didn't even know where to go to find a population. I just started running around zones hoping to spot someone real, and nothing.

Dark Rider

I don't need to come at you, because you're not wrong. It was the best online gaming experience I've ever had.

youaregoddamnright.gif

When I last logged in, even Jeuno was a ghost town. I didn't know where people would hang out anymore, so I didn't even know where to go to find a population. I just started running around zones hoping to spot someone real, and nothing.

It is usually the the hub for the end game activities as Boss Mog Boss Mog pointed out.

Dark Rider

I thought they pulled the plug on it years ago. What's the player base like in 2020?

The game never went down but the console support went down because the consoles lost online multiplayer support by Sony/Microsoft so the only option to play it nowadays is using a PC. SE offered free digital copy of the PC version for every console owner of the game and the offer is still valid to date as far as I know.

The player base is fine, healthy enough that SE is keeping it alive with constant updates and quests and as you can see in this thread a brand new story arc too but for sure way less than FFXI glory days before their blunder in 2009-2010.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
How playable is this game solo if I don't really care about the meta or end game kinda stuff and just wanna play it for major story beats?

Rikoi

How playable is this game solo if I don't really care about the meta or end game kinda stuff and just wanna play it for major story beats?
Almost the whole game is soloable now, probably only the last mission of the last expansion will require 1 additional person to clear it.
You can recruit NPCs (trusts) that will serve you as a replacement for party members that will assist you in clearing content.
It's very solo friendly right now, even a good chunk of the endgame is soloable, except the last stage of the relic weapon and some deep endgame armors.

Last edited:
Nice to see the first drop coincides with a free login period. I'll be happy to log in to check it out for free.

But there's no fucking way I'm paying $13 a month to play this in 2020.

Rikoi

This is the reason the gaming industry will keep converting all multiplayer games into micro-transaction/loot-boxes ridden trash.
I'm not talking of this case in particular, but I always find it fun when people complain about paying 13$ for a whole month of gameplay.
The same people will download a F2P shitty game for their smartphone and dump 20$ in the first 2 hours of gaming, then uninstall it after 2 days.

Dark Rider

I'm not talking of this case in particular, but I always find it fun when people complain about paying 13$ for a whole month of gameplay.
The same people will download a F2P shitty game for their smartphone and dump 20$ in the first 2 hours of gaming, then uninstall it after 2 days.

Those companies know that $13 a month is way less than what they can fleece out of people anyway.

Shantae

Banned
Almost the whole game is soloable now, probably only the last mission of the last expansion will require 1 additional person to clear it.
You can recruit NPCs (trusts) that will serve you as a replacement for party members that will assist you in clearing content.
It's very solo friendly right now, even a good chunk of the endgame is soloable, except the last stage of the relic weapon and some deep endgame armors.
And that's what killed the game for a lot of people.

The appeal of FFXI for so long was the sense of community that existed because the need to play with others. You were all in that world together, and every one needed each other. Being a lone wolf asshole didn't pay off. I miss that game :(

Dark Rider

The appeal of FFXI for so long was the sense of community that existed because the need to play with others. You were all in that world together, and every one needed each other. Being a lone wolf asshole didn't pay off. I miss that game :(

SE 2009-2010 blunder did hurt FFXI so bad, I wish they looked at it, saw the error of their ways and turned it all around rolling it all back but alas.

Silvawuff

What awesome news! I loved this game and played it religiously at 75 pre-Abyssea. Ran a biiiig Dynamis LS that had everything on farm. I made many friends I still keep to this day.

It's not a game I can return to, as much as I'd love that shot of nostalgia. I still poke into XIV as a filthy casual to get my FF MMO fix. Glad to see this game still getting support.

It is by design meant that way.
Did you really read my post and thought "this person doesn't realize this is by design"? Really??? Come on, dude...
This is the reason the gaming industry will keep converting all multiplayer games into micro-transaction/loot-boxes ridden trash.
It's a 20 year old game; it doesn't need a subscription fee anymore, especially when SE's cash cow is now XIV. XIV can easily subsidize XI, but greed always wins out in the end ('Why give up an additional revenue stream if people are still dumb dedicated enough to pay monthly for a 20 year old game?'). It's pretty funny how you defend one greedy business practice by comparing it to another, though.
Huh?
First off, I gladly pay monthly for XIV. XI is where I draw the line, because it's a 20 year old game. Second, I've never done what you said in your second sentence so, clearly, there isn't as much correlation or overlap as you think there is.

You still need others to play the game. It's just that those "others" can be replaced by AI now, and that function (Trusts) is not handed to you either like in XIV. You have to earn it, and up until you unlock Trusts, the game is still a bit of a trial by fire where you venture into unknown lands and are chased across the entire map by laggy enemies. It's great lol

That being said, it's not like the AI 'carries' you anyway. I had to rematch Eald'narche, Siren, and Cloud of Darkness at least a dozen times because of the boneheaded AI, with constantly having to switch (and level) my party members to be more cohesive, heal better, tank better, etc. etc. It's almost like a proper Final Fantasy game in that regard.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yes they teased a big announcement for 2022 with rumors suggesting it could be a remake or a sequel but I don't wanna get my hopes up.

I would love an offline, singleplayer remake so I can experience the story in full. I really don't want to see a sequel, unless it isn't an MMO. We already have FFXIV and I don't want to see Square try to compete with themselves. They have a great thing going with XIV.

Rikoi

Did you really read my post and thought "this person doesn't realize this is by design"? Really??? Come on, dude...

It's a 20 year old game; it doesn't need a subscription fee anymore, especially when SE's cash cow is now XIV. XIV can easily subsidize XI, but greed always wins out in the end ('Why give up an additional revenue stream if people are still dumb dedicated enough to pay monthly for a 20 year old game?'). It's pretty funny how you defend one greedy business practice by comparing it to another, though.

Huh?
First off, I gladly pay monthly for XIV. XI is where I draw the line, because it's a 20 year old game.
How can it be a greedy business if FFXI has ZERO microtransactions at all? How do you think Square enix could monetize this game if they remove the subscription? It doesn't even have a cash shop.
Would you say the same of WoW since it came out only 2 years after FFXI? it's fucking old too.
The fact that it's 20 years old is not an excuse to remove the sub if people still enjoy playing it.

FFXIV can't replace FFXI, they are two totally different games that play differently, that's why FFXI got a loyal fanbase which will never leave the game, until SE decides to shut down the servers, they despise FFXIV.

Last edited:
How can it be a greedy business if FFXI has ZERO microtransactions at all? How do you think Square enix could monetize this game if they remove the subscription? It doesn't even have a cash shop.
Would you say the same of WoW since it came out only 2 years after FFXI? it's fucking old too.
The fact that it's 20 years old is not an excuse to remove the sub if people still enjoy playing it.

FFXIV can't replace FFXI, they are two totally different games that play differently, that's why FFXI got a loyal fanbase which will never leave the game, until SE decides to shut down the servers, they despise FFXIV.
I think you misread my post, because I never once implied or said that XIV can replace XI. I said it can subsidize XI. It doesn't NEED the monthly fee anymore, because at this point it's a drop in the ocean compared to what XIV makes. Understand what I'm trying to say now?

Also, WoW doesn't have a successor with a subscription fee so that comparison is completely pointless.

Rikoi

I think you misread my post, because I never once implied or said that XIV can replace XI. I said it can subsidize XI. It doesn't NEED the monthly fee anymore, because at this point it's a drop in the ocean compared to what XIV makes. Understand what I'm trying to say now?

Also, WoW doesn't have a successor with a subscription fee so that comparison is completely pointless.
If you remove the subscriptions they will stop pushing updates and shut down the servers, so what you are saying doesn't really makes sense. SE is not making charity.
Again, FFXIV is not a successor to FFXI, they are two different games, the similarities stop at the Final Fantasy name.

Last edited:
If you remove the subscriptions they will stop pushing updates and shut down the servers, so what you are saying doesn't really makes sense. SE is not making charity.
Please look up the definition of the word subsidize.
Again, FFXIV is not a successor to FFXI, they are two different games, the similarities stop at the Final Fantasy name.
It's the second MMO Final Fantasy. It is the definition of the word successor.

Last edited:

Rikoi

Please look up the definition of the word subsidize.

It's the second MMO Final Fantasy. It is the definition of the word successor.
I don't need to, really, what you are saying makes no sense.
There is no reason why FFXIV should fund FFXI if they are two different games that need to sustain themselves.
You are talking about FFXIV being a cash cow as badge of honor, a game with a subscription with a huge cash shop, and FFXI is the greedy game, of course.
I can hardly understand the reason why FFXI should go free, it's still not logical except your personal desire of this happening.
It's not a successor in the gameplay sense, it's clear that you never played it, they are opposites.

Dark Rider

You never know on the internet so it was a clarification just in case.

1) The amount of content you get for the fee is overwhelming so yes it deserves every pinny in my opinion. The age of the game does not make any of the content within any less valuable.
2) Without FFXI then we would never have FFXIV because FFXI money payed for both FFXIV v1 that failed AND FFXIV ARR devlopment so to correct you FFXI subsidized FFXIV existence and blunders and kept it alive in it's darkest times.
3) Not a single pinny of FFXIV ever was used or spend on FFXI period, in fact only pinnies of current FFXI revenue is used for FFXI while the rest of it go to SE other projects yes including FFXIV to date.
4) FFXI servers and the handful of employees that maintain it and release it's updates cost money so I'm not delusional to think asking a company to the game to the players for free to ever happen.
5) Whatever FFXIV make is invested elsewhere.
6) FFXI actually objectively give content that is worth the fee unlike microtransations and lootboxes, one of them is not greedy.

Should I get the Xbox 360 version?

It doesn't work anymore. So get the PC versions it's very cheap.

I would love an offline, singleplayer remake so I can experience the story in full. I really don't want to see a sequel, unless it isn't an MMO. We already have FFXIV and I don't want to see Square try to compete with themselves. They have a great thing going with XIV.

You might not believe me but the battles experience in this MMORPG with real players cannot be replicated offline. The AI trust system they implemented is a massive downgrade to the experience but it is there now so I guess maybe an offline version can be made and if they do I hope you enjoy it.
As for a sequel, if done right then why not? Believe me old school FFXI and FFXIV is two distinct markets, they are not the same and I think SE would win a lot of the players they lost during 2009-2010 blunders.

It cost money for the upkeep and sometimes people feel they can get that charge free out of a company. We would love it but companies will not do it for free and instead will ruin the game for other methods of making it pay for itself preferably with profit this is why we rather a flat fee than those other methods.

Doesn't work anymore :( They shut down the ability for consoles to play the game, and no longer support it. Which bummed me out, because I primarily played it on consoles.

I'd like to correct you that it is the other way around, SE was willing to keep the game running on consoles but Sony/MS shutting down their online connectivity for those consoles killed that option for SE. SE offered a free digital PC for every console owner to compensate them.

Last edited:
I don't need to, really, what you are saying makes no sense.
So you're content with being willfully ignorant, gotcha.
There is no reason why FFXIV should fund FFXI if they are two different games that need to sustain themselves.
Obviously, I'm talking some pie-in-the-sky situation here because (as I said in the very first post), SE wouldn't willingly give up a revenue stream. My point was that XI doesn't NEED to sustain itself anymore considering XIV being SE's cash cow. If you still don't get what I'm trying to say, then just stop posting please. I don't have the time or patience to continue explaining things to you.
You are talking about FFXIV being a cash cow as badge of honor, a game with a subscription with a huge cash shop, and FFXI is the greedy game, of course.
Lmao, okay I think I see the problem here. You're getting defensive because you think I'm praising XIV for being a cash cow. That's not what I'm doing at all. I'm just stating that, given XIV's runaway success, the generous thing to do would be to subsidize XI with it. But, again, they obviously won't do that because of greed.
I can hardly understand the reason why FFXI should go free, it's still not logical except your personal desire of this happening.
My god, I never said XI should go F2P. Fucking read before you post, for christ's sake. You still have to purchase the game.
It's not a successor in the gameplay sense, it's clear that you never played it, they are opposites.
Wrong yet again. I have played it, have beaten it, and that's why I'm looking forward to playing the new storyline (as stated in OP, you need to finish Rhapsodies to access it).

1) The amount of content you get for the fee is overwhelming so yes it deserves every pinny in my opinion. The age of the game does not make any of the content within any less valuable.
2) Without FFXI then we would never have FFXIV because FFXI money payed for both FFXIV v1 that failed AND FFXIV ARR devlopment so to correct you FFXI subsidized FFXIV existence and blunders and kept it alive in it's darkest times.
3) Not a single pinny of FFXIV ever was used or spend on FFXI period, in fact only pinnies of current FFXI revenue is used for FFXI while the rest of it go to SE other projects yes including FFXIV to date.
4) FFXI servers and the handful of employees that maintain it and release it's updates cost money so I'm not delusional to think asking a company to the players for free to ever happen.
5) Whatever FFXIV is invested elsewhere.
6) FFXI actually objectively give content that is worth the fee unlike microtransations and lootboxes, one of them is not greedy.
Fair points, but I'd like to point out that buying into the game is not free. I think that's a major reason why I'm adamant against paying for an XI subscription. It's a fee on top of a fee for a 20 year old game. I don't even like buying old Nintendo games for more than $10 lol. I'm just an old man in that regard, I guess :messenger_grinning_smiling:

But I digress - as I said in my very first post, I realize that subsidizing XI with XIV is a pie-in-the-sky situation that no publisher would ever agree to.

Last edited:

Rikoi

So you're content with being willfully ignorant, gotcha.

Obviously, I'm talking some pie-in-the-sky situation here because (as I said in the very first post), SE wouldn't willingly give up a revenue stream. My point was that XI doesn't NEED to sustain itself anymore considering XIV being SE's cash cow. If you still don't get what I'm trying to say, then just stop posting please. I don't have the time or patience to continue explaining things to you.

Lmao, okay I think I see the problem here. You're getting defensive because you think I'm praising XIV for being a cash cow. That's not what I'm doing at all. I'm just stating that, given XIV's runaway success, the generous thing to do would be to subsidize XI with it. But, again, they obviously won't do that because of greed.

My god, I never said XI should go F2P. Fucking read before you post, for christ's sake. You still have to purchase the game.

Wrong yet again. I have played it, have beaten it, and that's why I'm looking forward to playing the new storyline (as stated in OP, you need to finish Rhapsodies to access it).
Man you don't need to explain anything to me, I played enough games and MMOs that I know how all these business works.
Do you think FFXI would sustain itself with purchases? Are you telling me that a game 20 years old could sustain itself with NEW PLAYERS? Seriously, at this point you are trolling. The whole game is so cheap and so few people would buy it at this point, you are delusional.
I get what you are trying to say, in fact I'm saying that want you are saying makes no sense.
Having too much money doesn't mean that FFXI players should play for free.
Do you know that WoW Classic players play the full WoW subscription? And that game won't even get future updates.
You are talking about "generous thing" on SE part, so you think they should make charity, as my previous post said.
No serious corporation would accept this.

Shantae

Banned
I'd like to correct you that it is the other way around, SE was willing to keep the game running on consoles but Sony/MS shutting down their online connectivity for those consoles killed that option for SE. SE offered a free digital PC for every console owner to compensate them.
That doesn't make any sense though. PS2 didn't have a centralized network system, so I don't see why they would need Sony for any of that. Hell, you can still play Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 on PS2 if you wanted to.

And Xbox 360 is still alive and well in terms of having xbox live functionality...so why would they lose their online connectivity for that?

Dark Rider

Fair points, but I'd like to point out that buying into the game is not free. I think that's a major reason why I'm adamant against paying for an XI subscription. It's a fee on top of a fee for a 20 year old game. I don't even like buying old Nintendo games for more than $10 lol. I'm just an old man in that regard, I guess :messenger_grinning_smiling:

But I digress - as I said in my very first post, I realize that subsidizing XI with XIV is a pie-in-the-sky situation that no publisher would ever agree to.

Actually when you buy the game you get a month sub for free, buying the game + it's entire library of expansions is $10 so you are paying for your first month sub for a discounted fee and getting the game and it's expansions for free along with it.

Also the current player base is generating a good chunk of money, enough to convince greedy heads at the company top not only to keep it alive but to allow it to produce new content spending resources on it evidenced by this very thread.

Man you don't need to explain anything to me, I played enough games and MMOs that I know how all these business works.
Do you think FFXI would sustain itself with purchases? Are you telling me that a game 20 years old could sustain itself with NEW PLAYERS? Seriously, at this point you are trolling. The whole game is so cheap and so few people would buy it at this point, you are delusional.
I get what you are trying to say, in fact I'm saying that want you are saying makes no sense.
Having too much money doesn't mean that FFXI players should play for free.
Do you know that WoW Classic players play the full WoW subscription? And that game won't even get future updates.
You are talking about "generous thing" on SE part, so you think they should make charity, as my previous post said.
No serious corporation would accept this.
I acknowledged in my very first post on this subject that SE would never agree to this. It's unrealisticly optimistic, for sure. I was simply stating why I would never pay $13 a month for a 20 year old game, when you got defensive and ignorantly compared me to a mobile gamer. And yes, I'll admit I got defensive about that. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Also, you've put forward another bad WoW comparison, because WoW Classic players get TWO subscriptions for the price of one... Hey, maybe that's something Square Enix could do. XI+XIV sub rolled into one reasonable price? Naaahh, makes too much sense.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

That doesn't make any sense though. PS2 didn't have a centralized network system, so I don't see why they would need Sony for any of that. Hell, you can still play Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 on PS2 if you wanted to.

And Xbox 360 is still alive and well in terms of having xbox live functionality...so why would they lose their online connectivity for that?

PS2 had a DNS service that some games relied on and some other servers services that Sony provided and some games relied on it, some other games did not so when Sony shut that down SE management did not want to spend resources to update the PS2 client. The Xbox 360 had its heap of issues as system wise no game should have been able to play without gold sub from MS they made an exception in the system for FFXI to not require it because at the time MS were desperate for a FF title on their system (they had none at that point in time) and as MS moved to the xbox one their services for the Xbox 360 started to get stripped to bare bones so combining that with the PS2 situation SE decided they will pull the plug on the console version and offer all console players a free PC version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom