• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI gets new story expansion "The Voracious Resurgence", the first part to release during the next update on August 6th.

Rikoi

I acknowledged in my very first post on this subject that SE would never agree to this. It's unrealisticly optimistic, for sure. I was simply stating why I would never pay $13 a month for a 20 year old game, when you got defensive and ignorantly compared me to a mobile gamer. And yes, I'll admit I got defensive about that. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Also, you've put forward another bad WoW comparison, because WoW Classic players get TWO subscriptions for the price of one... Hey, maybe that's something Square Enix could do. XI+XIV sub rolled into one reasonable price? Naaahh, makes too much sense.
It's not a bad comparison, there is a difference between WoW classic and FFXI.
WoW classic is a finished game that will never get updates, it would feel like a scam charging a separated
subscription for it, and even here, the community was actually asking to make a separate sub because they didn't want to play with retail wow players.
FFXI is actually getting updates and expansions, so it makes sense they it would need development funding.
They also announced some big update for the 20th anniversary, which of course FFXI would have never got if it wasn't for the subscriptions.
Also I didn't attack you, my disclaimer was for that
I'm not talking of this case in particular,

Joe T.

I don’t want the game to die, but as someone who played it for over a decade, it feels impossible to go back to. It was a ghost land when I logged in :( I didn’t see a single other user on my server. Was sad.

Someone else already pointed out the big disparity in population sizes between servers, but there were almost 5,000 accounts online on Asura back in May during the last free login period. From a friend's account:

VNGl8Ue.jpg

Komatsu

It was amazing back in 2002, but SO PUNISHING. I was a Star Wars Galaxies player but when I tried it out oh man it was though.

Kerotan

Insane that this is making enough money still to justify more support. FF14 ain't dying anytime soon lol.

GiJoint

Great memories of this game, played it on PC before the PS2 version was released, there weren’t much people from the west who were playing at that time and it was full of higher up Japanese players - and the few of us had to like band together, made a few good friends. The translation system was hilarious.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Oh, I am well aware - but they can always tweak/change the combat system to be something a bit more classical. Ultimately, I just want a way to preserve the story as I have heard almost nothing but great things about it. Even if it ultimately makes the core gameplay "subpar", as long as music, story, characters, and environments are still interesting/entertaining I will be very happy.

Hell, if I didn't play games with one or two aspects that were "subpar" I wouldn't have played some of my favorite games like Drakengard, NieR, or Left Alive.

Pejo

Someone else already pointed out the big disparity in population sizes between servers, but there were almost 5,000 accounts online on Asura back in May during the last free login period. From a friend's account:

VNGl8Ue.jpg
Man I forgot what a basically unmodified FFXI looks like. I was talking to my old roommate about trying this out again since we're all in lockdown anyways. Might give it a real try. I logged in a few months ago during a free login period but not having anyone to play with didn't keep me engaged for very long.

Dark Rider

Oh, I am well aware - but they can always tweak/change the combat system to be something a bit more classical. Ultimately, I just want a way to preserve the story as I have heard almost nothing but great things about it. Even if it ultimately makes the core gameplay "subpar", as long as music, story, characters, and environments are still interesting/entertaining I will be very happy.

Hell, if I didn't play games with one or two aspects that were "subpar" I wouldn't have played some of my favorite games like Drakengard, NieR, or Left Alive.

I'm not against it as long as it does not effect the existence of the MMORPG original. I feel I have to add though you will not only lose the battle system but also a big chunk of the exploring experience because that needed real people in the original too so reaching places and checking their lore will have a different impact on you. IF they ever make a modified offline version all I ask is they keep the original MMORPG going.

Top Bottom