• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI | OT | Vana'diel Forever

creid

Yeah...I'll probably have to resort to that. It's weird, the Square Enix ID/Password combo I'm using works literally everywhere else I've tried.
IIRC, most places want your email address and password, but POL wants your username and password? It's either that or vice versa.

ApharmdX

Banned
About three weeks' work:

So yeah, now I get the joyful task of collecting about 350M gil worth of heavy metal plates, riftdross, and such. Yaaaaay.

Grats! The finished product should be a really great OH. Bekah and I are actually doing Empy's as well. Finishing the second stage of hers today... Dragua done, Ulhadashi almost done... only shitty Chloris remains. We'll wait until the VW campaign to take it to 119, though.

I've heard that the story in this game is great, but I only ever played the trial back in 2009 and found myself very lost at the time.

Is it worth picking up to blast through the story? I might stick around afterwards.

The story is great. It's everywhere too, you get random lore worth watching in something as small as a weapon skill quest.

The story is great. It's everywhere too, you get random lore worth watching in something as small as a weapon skill quest.
this is somewhere FFXI exceeds basically any other game. Its side quests were witcher 3 before witcher 3. Not to say all the objectives are great as there is plenty of fetch stupid shit, but pretty much every quest has a cutscene and lore

Sgblues

Glad they didn't make this and the sheep mount microtransactions

hjSNwJfh.png

Loona

So! Starting this today/tomorrow
...I have an ultimate edition code and installed

man this is going to be weird

Welcome!

Look into Records of Eminence objectives and the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel missions for some guidance on major progress landmarks which should make everything else simpler.

Hello everyone, it's me again, from two weeks back. I'm over halfway through my sub, with about 14 days left, and I like to think I've gotten quite a bit done in that time. ( thanks to some great tips from here ofc)

So far I've completed...

• LV99 BST
  • LV40 NIN
  • Full Item level 117 with 119 weapons
  • Windhurst Storyline Rank 6
  • Rhapsody of Vana'diel Chapter 1
  • Max capped unity and sparks and have more gil than I know what to do with
  • basic QOL essentials, mount, inventory expansion, etc.
So now I'm in full on get shit done mode, due to RL commitments I don't think I'll be re-subbing straight away so I want to maximize the time I have left. From what I've done of RoV, chapter 2 is pushing me towards doing Chains of Promanthia, which is what I would be leaning towards atm, but from the research I've done, many consider CoP to be the longest mission line in the whole game, many also consider it the best?

Would committing to CoP leave me enough time to try Zilart (I hear people dont really like this / is it worth it?) Aht Urghan, Wings of the Goddess and more. If CoP is too demanding I may save it for a re-sub later on. But I find RoV's story really quite interesting and a fifth trust would be nice. I'd be interested in hearing what you guys consider "essential" content for a fresh lv99 and maybe your own favorite expansions / quests.

I think I'll be focusing on story over gearing / end game, since I'm actually surprised by the quality of the story telling in this game. It's far from the MMO standard I've come to expect. Despite all the research I've been doing I somehow managed to avoid being spoiled about the reveal with the Shadowlord (something people have known since 2002!) the implications kind of shocked me and I'm assuming Rise of Zilart goes deeper into this...

Overall I'm really impressed with FFXI so far, it's always been an oddity for me, as an MMO and a Final Fantasy game, I never really knew if it was a "real" main line entry, but now I rank it squarely with other FF games. The world, the atmosphere, the music, the uncharacteristically well written characters (by FF standards at least) it's like discovering a full FF you never knew existed. Based on my time with FFXIV I assumed this would be a regular MMO which was superficially a FF game, but I'm inclined to think now that it's a regular FF which just happens to have an online focus.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. So, what should be my next step in the game?

Loona

Glad to see you're enjoying it!

Rhapsodies doesn't really demand progress in Zilart IIRC, but there are quite a few story elements common to Zilart and CoP, and they share an ending (the Apocalypse Nigh quest that requires the completion of both), so in a way reaching the real end of CoP involves completing Zilart too.

I'd say focus on CoP, but keep track of your Zilart progress - if at some point advancing in CoP requires a bigger trip than it would take to simply do the next Zilart mission in line, do the Zilart mission, and so on.
It should be interesting seeing some of their common story points developing in parallel now that it's possible to advance the story at your own pace (instead of waiting for months for a chance at getting a party that needs the same mission fights), so the smaller intervals between story scenes should make it easier to connect some story dots along the way - and clearly a lot of the core game was planned with both expansions in mind, as some structures should be able to hint at the common history behind the setting that both help reveal.

Zilart + Chains of Promathia have excellent synergy between their storylines and it's well worth it to try to do both over any of the other missions in the game. If you only have time for one storyline, CoP is probably more rewarding overall.

Taruranto

Do all the stories in order. CoP events are literally started by Zilarth after-match. Zilart is very short too, especially nowadays with teleport everywhere.

Basic storyline, ZM and CoP are all built on the top of another, creating a giant storyline.

You can do Aht Urghan, Wings of the Goddess and Adoulin in any order.

AwShucks

So I'm going to come back to this after over a decade away. I'll need to but the ultimate collection of course. I already know I don't get a free month if I use my 12 year old character but do I have to create a new play online account too? Or is it just the content id being new that matters? This old account system is so bad.

Aeana

So I'm going to come back to this after over a decade away. I'll need to but the ultimate collection of course. I already know I don't get a free month if I use my 12 year old character but do I have to create a new play online account too? Or is it just the content id being new that matters? This old account system is so bad.

If you're using your 12 year old character then you have to use the POL account that it's bound to. If you create a new account then your old character won't be available.

AwShucks

If you're using your 12 year old character then you have to use the POL account that it's bound to. If you create a new account then your old character won't be available.

Ok so it does sound like if I want the free trial I have to make a new PlayOnline account. I knew as much about using the old play online account with my old character though. Nostalgia has me torn. Would be awesome so play as that old character even if I know it's pointless.

Toth

Credit to Dew from BG:

So not sure how accurate this is, but this is coming from jp side. In september they are adding augements to all the armor sets from ambuscade. They are also talking about REMA upgrades and Soa2. Supposedly 2 new areas and hard mode content coming. Again I'm not sure how accurate this stuff is, but jps are a buzz with this stuff.

Very interesting if true. I am so looking forward to playing the game full time again and ambusade isn't doing it :( Seekers was so much fun too.

Credit to Dew from BG:

Very interesting if true. I am so looking forward to playing the game full time again and ambusade isn't doing it :( Seekers was so much fun too.
id be down for this for sure. End game content is more enjoyable when its better encased in the lore anyway, plus things like delve are a full adventure unlike ambuscade, high tier battlefields, and escha NMss

Though I would hope that in a potential delve 2.0 they would do things a little better. Less bulshit unexplainable mechanics, more fun fights. As well as make trash mobs a little more valuable than just a few currency. Dynamis and Limbus especially were great back in the day for how relevant the whole run is. Dynamis got stale in longer runs, but every Limbus run was fun

Parshias7

Credit to Dew from BG:

Adding augments to the ambuscade armor could be pretty sweet, although I swear to god if it uses the same materials as the capes...

The 'new areas' part of the rumor seems pretty hard for me to believe, though. Unless we're talking existing area pallet swap new areas.

No clue what they could do to further buff RMEA. Maybe they'll make them easier to make? (I wish)

Garlador

The producer and director of the game will be holding an AMA on /r/ffxi on the 25th:
http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/14929/detail.html

This is the only FF I don't own or have played... A part of me held back after he mentioned a few years ago that it was possible FFXI might jump to PS4 or other current-gen systems.

I might try and ask him about that. Would love for Square to make on sub cover both FFXI and FFXIV...

... I may be daydreaming a bit too hard on this, but I only just completed my FF "collection" of all the core numbered games... sans FFXI. And I'm just not a PC player...

AwShucks

Why is the guide generally to level up to 99 right away? Does this mean not doing any main story unless required? Is this just a time thing or is there any downside to doing some MSQ every now and then?

B.K.

This is the only FF I don't own or have played... A part of me held back after he mentioned a few years ago that it was possible FFXI might jump to PS4 or other current-gen systems.

Final Fantasy XI is never coming to any console. They're working on a mobile reboot of the game now. Console support for the game is over. Even the PC version will probably close in a few years. If you want to play it, it's now or never.

Aeana

Final Fantasy XI is never coming to any console. They're working on a mobile reboot of the game now. Console support for the game is over. Even the PC version will probably close in a few years. If you want to play it, it's now or never.

oh BK you are always so upbeat

Garlador

I'm not entirely sure about that. It's still a beloved a game, a numbered installment of the series, and Square sunk a lot of work into it to just discard it to the ravages of time like it's a generic Final Fantasy spin-off like a Crystal Chronicles game or something.

I mean, sure the mobile version is being worked on, which is... something... but I do know the producers and developers would certainly like the game to get new life on both PS4 and even Vita.
"I wonder if there's also the possibility of porting FFXI. I'd like to try making a FFXI spin-off where the server would be the PS4 and the Vita would be used as the client and you could do parties by everyone gathering together with their Vitas or something like that."

... You know, I always did wonder... was there any reason it never came to PS3 like it did to Xbox 360?

I resubscribed for the billionth to this game I've payed for a very long time but never played (I think my record has been reaching level 14).

Of course I'm restarting once again. The last attempt was a couple of years ago, and now the game is playable even in "single player". So I know it's feasible, and it's still the greatest MMO out there when it comes to flavor and content. The time's running out, tho. So I decided to try again before the game will be lost forever.

It's amazing how Square still hates customers and players. FFXI is still the apex of everything clunky. Even making a list of everything objectively wrong with it would be way too long.

For example: servers are global but accounts local. It happens quite frequently (and of course to me as well) that you might have a US or EU account, but then make a purchase on Steam or their own shop. If you use a code that isn't in the same location of your account, it won't work. But okay, that's not SUCH a big deal. The problem this is the error code you get when you try to use the key on an account based on a different location:
"You cannot add expanded services because either the maximum number of service accounts have been added/registered or there are no service accounts to which the expanded services can be added/registered"

And not only this gives NO HINTS about what's wrong, but if you contact customer support they won't have a clue.

This confusion is added on top of a TOTAL MESS of user names, IDs, account codes, SquareEnix account, PlayOnline account and multiple passwords. It's a russian doll maze of accounts within accounts where you get lost FOREVER.

Yesterday I decided to delete "Tetra Master" because there's no way I'll play that. But if you do that, the game won't boot anymore. Just another bullet point to remember.

So I hopped back and forth on this game, yesterday I was trying to reinstall it and once again I was LOST. I couldn't figure out how to log in the damned thing. You get a screen with:

Member name
PlayOnline ID
PlayOnline password
member password
SquareEnix ID
SquareEnix ID password

WTF?!

What is what? And nope. It's not enough, because once you miraculously manage to log in you meet another layer: the USER HANDLE. Even looking just at "names", to play this you need:
member name -> PlayOnline ID -> SquareEnix ID -> Handle name -> character name (finally!)

The log-in mini-game. Just to prove you're smart enough to be worthy of playing FFXI.

So, in so many years Square just didn't do shit to clear this mess. But that's of course just the beginning. Try to install the game. There's this "modern" installer that still makes you go through multiple self-contained installations for all the expansion packs released. It takes a while. But then of course it's not even remotely up to date. (and, it takes THREE times the amount of space, incredibly, because you have to download the compressed files, then the installer decompresses them to a working directory, and installs them, so you have: the original packages, the decompressed package and the actual game install. Three times the work, three times the space, just because Square HATES simplicity)

It can take up to *an hour* just to verify the files and figure out what it needs to be patched. Once you do that it starts downloading the files, INDIVIDUALLY. A few thousands TINY files. That means the process is incredibly slow. It doesn't matter your network speed because every file is just a few hundred bytes, and the client stops and sends a separate request for each. One at a time. It WILL take several hours even if the patch itself is barely 1Gb that you could normally download in 5 minutes or less. But nope, it's not over. Because once it has downloaded those single files, then it has to patch them over. Individually again. And it takes again a long time.

This whole process is INSANE and should have been a relic of a distant past.

They never removed this Flash player log-in thing that is completely USELESS. Every time you want to boot the game you're forced through SLOW LOADING screens, over and over and over, until you finally manage to boot the game.

Was it really that hard to port over the game to a decent engine, clean all this shit and maybe provide an usable interface? Just that could have still kept the game afloat and thriving.

Look at this:
xVqEGnn.jpg

I mean, really. Everything reads as a joke. They see an increase of unauthorized accesses *in 2011*, it's STILL UNDER INVESTIGATION. Four years and half later they are still training detectives to reveal this mystery!

It saddens me so much that a game so brilliant has to be BURIED under so much shit and incompetence. For many aspects this is still, by far, the best MMO out there and it would take SO LITTLE EFFORT to improve those key areas Square has always ignored.

They can port old games from other systems, FFXI still runs on DX8, and of course requires a subscription. you need to rely on external programs to play properly in a window and increase clip range and make it look a bit better. Was it really so hard to support that directly in-game? Come on. It would take so little effort, really, and for Square a small investment could produce quite a bit of money.

But nope.

Maybe after two days of fighting with it I'll manage to log in. I hope they'll let me at least pick a server since that too was a mess, requiring special codes that a friend has to purchase in the game. FFXI is a game that hates you and will do all it can to persuade you not to play. It's masochism turned into game.

Loona

Why is the guide generally to level up to 99 right away? Does this mean not doing any main story unless required? Is this just a time thing or is there any downside to doing some MSQ every now and then?

I suspect people who advocate just leveling to 99 want more bodies to help them out in endgame events - there is A LOT you can do prior to 99, especially on story missions for the nations, Chains of Promathia and Rhapsodies of Vana'diel. You can actually get bonuses in EXP gain for progressing in that.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Well, being 99 with some ilvl gear really opens up the world and allows the world and story to be explored without being stomped by everything you run into. Well, at least that's what it was like when I was leveling when Abyssea was new. Even at 99 before ilvl gear, I was often aggroing and getting killed by those pesky level 100+ mobs scattered around the world. Trusts probably make it a lot more accessible without overleveling, but those things will still crush you.

AwShucks

Question, does the free month start when I first add a character or is it from when I enter my key?

EDIT: Typing it out I know it sounds stupid and almost certainly starts when adding my first "Service account", but just want to be sure.

Question, does the free month start when I first add a character or is it from when I enter my key?

EDIT: Typing it out I know it sounds stupid and almost certainly starts when adding my first "Service account", but just want to be sure.

Service account entry as you have guessed.

Let me know if I need to put pearls on the linkshell concierges again this weekend. I havent checked if they got wiped.

I think I might re-subscribe for a bit and try and do all of the story content that I missed out on. In terms of MMOs this game is still the best with that stuff I think.

Am I crazy for wanting to start a new character though? My highest job was only level 50 or something but it has been so long since I did the early stuff that I feel like starting fresh. Having said that, I kind of want to play as BLU and I remember it taking a while to unlock. Anything changed in that regard?

Loona

Sticking with an existing character lets you reap some benefits from past progress, mostly Exp through Records of Eminence objectives and whatever else you've already unlocked, like travel options...

Sticking with an existing character lets you reap some benefits from past progress, mostly Exp through Records of Eminence objectives and whatever else you've already unlocked, like travel options...

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Stuff like the chocobo and airship license.

Edit: Oh shit, PlayOnline info. I have no idea.

Toth

I'll say what I said on BG...

Overall, it was not as useless as I thought it would be. It was very disappointing to hear that the only 'new' content are Ambusade and Master Trials-no-one-do until March. No server merges, no improvements to server loads, no subscription changes...really, nothing assuring about the future of the game was provided by this AMA. I suppose one can question what the whole point of this AMA was if not to cast doubts that anything positive is coming.

Taruranto

Not surprised the AMA turned out nothing. I mean, no server merges? Did they check the status of some servers?

Anyone feels like posting a screenshot of Boganza results?

Top Bottom