• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII (PS2) is still a gorgeous game

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The game runs like ass. It's actually one of the few RPGs from that gen that I won't replay until it gets a port/remake.

Razmos

Vaan doesn't actually look that bad if you just put a shirt on him.
Vaan_FFTA2_(Duodecim).png

It's sad that his alternate costume is better than his default one.

[Fugo]

The 1st thing I'd like in an HD remaster would be a streaming world, or at least having to load only between major areas. It would need a bit of reworking done on a few things, but it really would help the game feel more fluid and enjoyable. While it could be bearable in the corridor type ffx, here it's really jarring with the open design and such.
I love Rabanastre but navigating through it is made a chore by this. It was nearly unbearable with disc loading, better but still annoying with HD loader / emulator.

Son Of D

[Fugo];165109332 said:
The 1st thing I'd like in an HD remaster would be a streaming world, or at least having to load only between major areas. It would need a bit of reworking done on a few things, but it really would help the game feel more fluid and enjoyable. While it could be bearable in the corridor type ffx, here it's really jarring with the open design and such.
I love Rabanastre but navigating through it is made a chore by this. It was nearly unbearable with disc loading, better but still annoying with HD loader / emulator.

Would be a lot of work for a simple remaster. They'd have to change how respawning chests and enemies work as spawning rare monsters and hunts.

[Fugo];165109332 said:

Almost guaranteed not to happen. I'd be very surprised if they put this much effort into a remaster.

[Fugo]

ok, they should call it a remake it then. It would really make a big difference. And yes, work to be done but I honestly think that it's still less work than HD-fying the assets

Alej

Banned
Best opus of the whole IP.

Seriously, SE, do something and remaster this in 1080p/60fps with decent AA for PS4/X1/PC.

Add the Zodiac version for us, no loading between areas and we are good.

The game looks amazing, amazing, amazing on PCSX2. So much detail and the art direction is wonderful.

I loved the combat system, but the game's narrative suffered a lot from the pacing. It had a surprisingly mature and intelligent script, that ultimately went nowhere but still.. respected your intelligence, in the end.

One of the stronger FFs, easily.

FFXIII felt like a massive, massive regression in comparison

Athreous

I don't know why Square hasn't announced an HD remaster yet. It doesn't even need all the enhancements Type-0 got. Just the base graphics in 1080p would be fine as long as it get's the same work put into it FFX got. Seeing all the 2D HUD assets redone and the textures touched-up would be simply amazing.

One question: What game would Square bundle it with? Square hasn't been able to ask $40 for a single eight-year-old game. Type-0 is a much more recent game with a lot more enhancements so I'm not sure that counts. The only other game I could think of going in the package would be Tactics. Technically HD assets already exist for Tactics since Square did the tablet version.

Valkyrie Profile 2 *-*

llehuty

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I would insta-buy a PS4 the moment they announce this remake/remaster.

One of my favourite games ever. Everything in the game just clicks.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I would insta-buy a PS4 the moment they announce this remake/remaster.

One of my favourite games ever. Everything in the game just clicks.

It doesn't sound ridiculous at all. A lot of people have that one game they would buy a console for and if it's one of your favourite games ever then that sounds like a good reason to me.

Z3M0G

I hope we get the international version if they ever decide to HD port it. I want to experience that alternate upgrade system.

Niks

Does anyone knows how FFX HD has sold on Ps4? That would be a good indicator to see if we are getting FFXII remastered.

Arctick

I must be the only one who wants an altered redux of the game. Better pacing, less emphasis on Vaan, more focus on Ashe, Balthier and Basch. Additional cutscenes that flesh out the world and characters, the IZJS, stuff like that.

Gotta say one of the best things about COD:AW was hanging out with Balthier the entire campaign haha

Yiazmat

I also hope the remaster will let us control any character in the cities. That way I'll never have to see Vaan again.

Hahahahah Lightning's nose probably has more polygons than both her arms combined.

Indeed Lightning arms are really low poly for a ps3 game, they put everything they had on the faces.

Vashetti

Banned
Does anyone knows how FFX HD has sold on Ps4? That would be a good indicator to see if we are getting FFXII remastered.

Nothing yet as it's only just come out. PS3/Vita sales are a better indicator as it's been out for over a year.

Sagely

I really didn't mind Vaan at all - in fact, I appreciated the idea of playing as the guy who's just along for the ride. To me it was very refreshing at the time, having just come off a binge of FFVII - X which all featured main characters who had dramatic romances and were heavily involved with saving the world. I can understand why fans of the series might be discouraged by the sudden shift though, and Vaan's character certainly wouldn't appeal to everyone (especially when other members of the cast are so badass).

Penelo was also a vast improvement over her equivalents in the previous games, I thought. Much more tolerable than Yuffie, Selphie and Rikku. Can't speak for FFXIII as everything about it seemed so off-putting I haven't even tried it yet.

Another thing: even now on a second playthrough, trying to pay more attention to the story this time, I find myself forgetting what's going on. I think this is a testament to how much fun the exploration and combat is: it's so tempting to go off on hunts and experiment with Gambits. That said, I also suspect that the story is indeed forgettable, as I barely remembered anything from the first playthrough. Still my favourite FF though.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I really didn't mind Vaan at all - in fact, I appreciated the idea of playing as the guy who's just along for the ride. To me it was very refreshing at the time, having just come off a binge of FFVII - X which all featured main characters who had dramatic romances and were heavily involved with saving the world. I can understand why fans of the series might be discouraged by the sudden shift though, and Vaan's character certainly wouldn't appeal to everyone (especially when other members of the cast are so badass).

Penelo was also a vast improvement over her equivalents in the previous games, I thought. Much more tolerable than Yuffie, Selphie and Rikku. Can't speak for FFXIII as everything about it seemed so off-putting I haven't even tried it yet.

Another thing: even now on a second playthrough, trying to pay more attention to the story this time, I find myself forgetting what's going on. I think this is a testament to how much fun the exploration and combat is: it's so tempting to go off on hunts and experiment with Gambits. That said, I also suspect that the story is indeed forgettable, as I barely remembered anything from the first playthrough. Still my favourite FF though.

I absolutely love FF XII, but the story does kind of fall apart around the middle of the game, and doesn't really pick up until the end of the game.

Also, the final boss is a cakewalk if every character in your team has a bubble belt equipped.

I started playing the game again because of this thread, and goddamn, I've fallen in love with it in a way that I didn't the first time. This game is incredible at nearly every level.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It doesn't really "fall apart." There are complete, consistent, and satisfying storylines for Basch and Ashe (the two main characters) across the entire game.

The pace of the narrative slows down a lot, though. There's far more meat on FFXII's bones than there are on any other non-MMO numbered Final Fantasy. I don't know why this means it falls apart, though. If anything, the "falls apart" portion of FFXII is thematically far more consistent with Final Fantasy than anything in the first portion of the game.

I would marry this game if I could.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
It doesn't really "fall apart." There are complete, consistent, and satisfying storylines for Basch and Ashe (the two main characters) across the entire game.

The pace of the narrative slows down a lot, though. There's far more meat on FFXII's bones than there are on any other non-MMO numbered Final Fantasy. I don't know why this means it falls apart, though. If anything, the "falls apart" portion of FFXII is thematically far more consistent with Final Fantasy than anything in the first portion of the game.

It doesn't "fall apart" in that it's non-existent, but it just kinda.. stops and nothing really major happens until towards the end of the game. I still love the game to bits though.

Maybe except the Pharos at Ridorana, but that's just because it goes on and on and on and gets kinda tedious and boring :p

AmanoBuff

Sales for the PS4 version are not yet known. But as far as PS3/Vita goes, the sales of FFX/X-2 HD should be around 700k, which makes it one of the best selling remasters.

I hope Verendus is right and that FFXII HD is already a thing. It is the only game of which I only played a few hours before my PS2 died for good.

I bought 3 copies of FFX/X-2 HD on Vita (digital English, Japanese Twin Pack and individual physical copies of both in English) and the PS3 version. Now let's hope Square stays true to their word.

Pls SQEX, make FFXII HD happen! I'll buy 2 PS4 versions (and I don't have a PS4 yet) as long as you give us this:

Quoting something I made in photoshop in another thread sometime ago, just for the feels of all fellow Vita owners out there.

Just for kicks...

iH2aW8b.png

One of my favorite games ever. An HD remake is probably one of my most desired things in gaming, especially if it includes IZJS.

As others have said, the detail and design of the world is top-tier in the medium. For the story, I actually appreciate the fly-on-the-wall approach to the protagonist, as it stood in clear contrast to the sole heroic savior trend of past games (not to take anything away from those games - I count FFVII and IX among my favorite games as well).

And say what you will about the lack of typical FF twists and turns in the plot - I personally loved XII's measured approach in creating a plausible geopolitical conflict and teasing out the individual character maneuverings from that foundation.

Mendax

Ahh yes that was my only problem with the game; Basche & Ashe. Sounds like some slapstick duo. Comedy channel material. So silly.

They should have just stuck with "Ashelia" everywhere...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It doesn't really rhyme tho! It's like "bah-sh" or maybe "bosche" and "Ash".

I WANT TEN COPIES OF THIS GAME NAO

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It doesn't really rhyme tho! It's like "bah-sh" or maybe "bosche" and "Ash".

I WANT TEN COPIES OF THIS GAME NAO

"Bah-sck" and "Ah-she" is how I always pronounced them. Makes "I am Captain Basch Von Rosenburg of Dalamascia" flow, IMO.

TheDanimal

I played Revenant Wings back when it came out, but never got to play the original.
I would be very excited to get to play an HD remaster :D
Come on Square!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

I want to be your friend. I agree with petty much all of this. Vayne largely disappears about 2/3rds in, just like Kefka and Sephiroth, but the overall plot is defined at that point. Getting the urge to replay. Only section I hated was Lighthouse of Pheros.

LeoDiBlack

Neo Member
i really want to finish this game but the story is just so bad.

The story is bad?

Every game that takes place on Ivalice has an awesome story or why you say that FFXII has a bad story?

It can be a little tricky but... man, the characters, the side-quests, those maps... and the music! that glorious OST

Mendax

Balthier is still one of my favorite characters of all time.

story-wise or in combat? or both?

me and my younger bro always left him out of our combat party because we thought he was weak(er than the rest) lol.

The story is bad?

Every game that takes place on Ivalice has an awesome story or why you say that FFXII has a bad story?

It can be a little tricky but... man, the characters, the side-quests, those maps... and the music! that glorious OST

hmm it might be a little cliché what with the small peaceful country stuck between belligerent empires and it's princess going undercover and shit. But I still love it. And I always thought of it as nothing but epic. Star Wars influences make it even more so.

Did it really sell that poorly that it won't get a remaster? I want to play it.

Keep in mind that Squeenix was years behind on the HD remaster bandwagon- they didn't really start doing them until 2013. XII did sell worse than X, but not by that much, and it sold *more* than either Kingdom Hearts game, and those got the remaster treatment.

I'd expect an announcement at one of the conferences this year. Maybe E3, maybe TGS.

noticed you left out Vaan's abs

post-5-1091319066.jpg

I don't understand how the game looks so good but Vaan's texture is so bad.

because he's the hero we didn't want, but since we're bad people he's the hero we deserve...
lmao :X
on a side note, I'd welcome it, though I'd prefer a zodiac edition, but i'm a sucker and I'd bite even the normal...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'd welcome a remake of this to get it another shot. When it came out though, this was Final Fantasy XI-I to me and just felt like a gimped version of the MMO battle system. I'd try a Zodiac HD remake though.

Top Bottom