• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII (PS2) is still a gorgeous game

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only thing I got from this thread is that I should play the Phantasy Star games...

Battle system wise none of them have anything special until IV's macro system, which Ducky was trying to show off with that screenshot.

I want to love XII but it just chugs so much. It demands a remake. I'd probably buy a PS4 the day a remake was announced, or get it on Vita if that happened.

faridmon

My favourite Final Fantasy game and one of my favourite RPGs out there.
The gameplay just feels so perfect and glues the whole package together.
Also, the best Soundtrack in a FF game. Yes, I went there!

The fast-forward function was awesome, but I didn't really like the license board of the IZJS version. They'd probably need to improve some classes, because some of them felt really useless.

Fast-forward should be put in all JRPGs. Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy XIII-2 used them fantastically. FFXII would benefit from it, IZJS delivers.

Fdkn

The fast-forward function was awesome, but I didn't really like the license board of the IZJS version. They'd probably need to improve some classes, because some of them felt really useless.

Well even if some may seem a bit lackluster, the game isn't really challenging so is more about choosing what things do you want to play with for fun. The original license board of clone characters is terrible

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well even if some may seem a bit lackluster, the game isn't really challenging so is more about choosing what things do you want to play with for fun. The original license board of clone characters is terrible

But you can have clone characters with the default/vanilla license board in I:ZJS don't you? You don't HAVE to choose a job.

Agreed, one of the things I hated most about the original release was how each character was a basically a carbon copy besides different stats and Quickenings. IZJS addresses this as well. Also, breaking the 9999 damage limit makes Yazmat less of lesson in tedium.

I really wish my first experience with FFXII was the IZJS version, it seems to have addressed all my complaints with the gameplay.

Son Of D

But you can have clone characters with the default/vanilla license board in I:ZJS don't you? You don't HAVE to choose a job.

I think you'll be very limited though if you don't choose a job. Like you'll have the most basic spells and that's it.

Battle system wise none of them have anything special until IV's macro system, which Ducky was trying to show off with that screenshot.

I want to love XII but it just chugs so much. It demands a remake. I'd probably buy a PS4 the day a remake was announced, or get it on Vita if that happened.

Oh... Well, I guess I'll have to make the mandatory question then. Can I play PSIV without going through I-III?

Ultratech

You don't have to, but you'd be massively gimping yourself.

Basically, if you don't choose a job, you'll just be stuck with whatever abilities said character has by default. (Which isn't a lot.)

That and the "vanilla" license board doesn't exist in IZJS.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not to derail the thread, but how was Revenant Wings?

Alright... ish... if you like RTS. As a sequel to FFXII: It's pretty poor if you're coming for the JRPG elements. I never did finish it. I should, but that grind to get 99 on all characters for a secret ending is just oof.

Vamphuntr

You have to pick jobs or else all the characters are useless and only have their basic abilities. They do keep them when you get them a job though. Batlhier starts with steal and even if you make him a white mage (which doesn't have steal) he keeps it which is very useful.

I also don't agree with the person above saying the game is still easy. It sure isn't some of the esper battles are really hard with only one good healer or when the boss disable magic on your healer. Some of the extra battles are also impossible to beat depending on the jobs you chose.

Some of the better abilities are also locked behind the esper's squares on the board and the same esper is used on many jobs board but can only be used once and lock you out of abilities on the other board.

Would argue that it's my favourite Final Fantasy game, battling for the top spot alongside VII and IX. I didn't really browse forums or anything when Final Fantasy XII came out, but of the few comments on the internet I did see, I always thought the initial opinion of the game from a lot of fans was that it was bad, despite the fact it was critically acclaimed. What happened? Seems to have more or less unadulterated praise now.

Falk

that puzzling face
In a nutshell? People are resistant to change, it was after a skip of a number (XI) and was different in many fundamental ways (Uematsu not involved, seamless/MMO-ish combat, etc)

Probably took a few years for people to detach from those reactions and realize that the game stood on its own and was awesome because of it.

This has been like one of two FF games that I've always really wanted to play. I meant to buy it when it first came out, but never got around to it. I do hope they do and HD Remaster for PS4. If not, I'll just find a PS2 copy and play it on PCSX2.

TriAceJP

I love these threads because it makes me happy to know that not everyone would look at me funny after saying my favourite Final Fantasy is XII.

It's a beautiful game. I've played both versions several times mixed between PS2 hardware and PCSX2 and I never get sick of it.

An HD remaster on the PS4 would be, without a doubt, a day 1 for me.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
ff 12 is the best ff.
I gave the Zodiac version a run through with the fan patch but I actually ended up missing the freedom of the vanilla version.

Outside of Vaan and Penelo's kiddy adventures in the first 10 hours I have no qualms with the game and I still think it claims the number one spots for voice acting, music, graphics, scale and combat out of the entire PS2 library (plus that opening =0). Only reason I don't credit it with story as well is because MGS3. it's obviously not anything like the earlier final fantasy's so I totally understand series long fans being salty at how it played out but I never really cared much for final fantasy until their PS2 games. I think if it didn't have the final fantasy namesake and sales behind it, it would always be lauded as some kind of underrated gem.

now I need to hurry up and finish my final fantasy gauntlet runthrough so I can play it again...

Godcannon

My second favorite under VII. This game had more than just visuals. I still need to play it again without picking up the loot that breaks the final weapon,and beat the Ultimate secret boss. Yes I want a remake, and I hope they burn in hell! They ate me!

I should really finish this some time. I think I got to the part where I say who I am to strangers.

Anyone know about how far in that is?

Also would anyone have the info to get it to play on PC that some people here are talking about?

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I should really finish this some time. I think I got to the part where I say who I am to strangers.

Anyone know about how far in that is?

Also would anyone have the info to get it to play on PC that some people here are talking about?

you need an iso of ffxii and ffxii izjs on your comp along with pcsx2

then you need to go to this link and grab the patcher, put it in the same directory/folder with your iso's and (i think) it's just a matter of clicking next from there. then you should have a third and final iso with the english text/menus with all the goodies you get from the izjs version. some things (spells/weapons/espers) that never made it into the vanilla game will still be in japanese but it's never really a struggle to understand what they do, plus forum hunting will help you out with those.

Currently playing DA: Inquisition and fucking annoyed that FF12 has a far better macro system than a game that came out in 2014.

Please help me understand.

Dragon Age Origins actually did have a gambit system. It wasn't as in depth as FF12s was, but it worked well enough. They should have carried it forward.

I didn't care much for FF12 when it first released, but over the years it has become my favorite FF. If they remaster it, I'll be two just because it's so awesome. But they won't because they hate me.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Would argue that it's my favourite Final Fantasy game, battling for the top spot alongside VII and IX. I didn't really browse forums or anything when Final Fantasy XII came out, but of the few comments on the internet I did see, I always thought the initial opinion of the game from a lot of fans was that it was bad, despite the fact it was critically acclaimed. What happened? Seems to have more or less unadulterated praise now.
GAF generally loved it.

I think if you were on some younger-leaning forums they wanted more of their FFX-like shonen anime games. It doesn't surprise me that it's lost on some people.. it's like a rich novel instead of a saturday morning cartoon.

Soltype

Easily the best FF game of the last 20 years.A shame Square didn't keep using the battle system, it was damn near perfect.

Razmos

Easily the best FF game of the last 20 years.A shame Square didn't keep using the battle system, it was damn near perfect.
I kinda appreciate what they TRIED to do with FFXIII's battle system. It was basically X and XII's battle systems merged together, yet somehow worse than both.

I still enjoyed it though.

Rootbeer

Banned
It's not fair that FFX gets all the spotlight. XII is way better. Even looks better.

HD remake please

FFXII is the kind of game where they could easily not just remaster it, but add in new content like new monsters to hunt and other side stuff to sweeten the pot. The game is so much fun, no other final fantasy game has sidequests as enjoyable on the whole.

Also, Basch was the Jorah Mormont of his day.

I almost forgot how good that game looked. Could pass as an early PS3 game.

Gimmie an Ivalice Collection HD Remaster containing FFXII: Zodiac Edition and FFT: War of the Lions with no slow down SE. The disc wouldn't leave my PS4 for a very long time. Aaaand GO!

It's fun to dream. But seriously at least FFXII HD would be great.

Gimmie an Ivalice Collection HD Remaster containing FFXII: Zodiac Edition and FFT: War of the Lions with no slow down SE. The disc wouldn't leave my PS4 for a very long time. Aaaand GO!

Oh, I love this idea. That'd be a perfect scenario though. Although being able to play WotL on the PSTV isn't too bad.

TriAceJP

Don't you dare leave Vagrant Story out of that collection!

batbeg

I played it for about 90 hours but didn't finish it because I got too distracted by having a new girlfriend at the time lol (to be fair she owned it too and didn't finish it either lol). I got just past the awful awful giant crystal dungeon where you travel across the sea or whatever and know it was damn close. It was still one of my favorite games ever, and second only to FFIX for me personally. I've been holding off for years on buying a new PS2 and copy of the game because I felt so sure it would be made a PS Classic or get an HD remake and yet... :( The game is fucking astonishing though. The locations were huge and made me feel like I lived in a real breathing world, with design that is still second to none.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, FF12 is nuts. I can't believe what they pulled off on the PS2. I loved that game so damn much.

I loved the vast majority of FFXII. Strange that I remember it as a disappointment. Probably had to do with what felt like the lack of a substantial plot.

Funny because I recall feeling that the gambit system was my favorite FF battle system. It was certainly a gorgeous game for it's time and still no slouch today. I need to get another PS2 and give it another run.

I would Hope SE just make it a PS2 classic. If they put in stuff like the motion blurriness of Type-0 HD I wont be pleased. Just touching the right analog stick in that game hurts my eyes and makes me dizzy.

Servbot24

Banned
The gameplay is my favorite in the FF series, along with Tactics and Chrystal Chronicles.

The story is not interesting at all though.

xlom3000

It needs a HD Remaster, the PS2 version looks terrible on a HD screen.

Haha no kidding, I was about to say, these MUST be emulator screenshots because I upgraded to an hd tv around when this came out and it looked more like a staircase simulator than the great screens OP is showing

glaurung

Yea I would love an HD remake of FFXII... the world design was great and I enjoyed the battle system a lot.
+1

Considering they've already made two HD remasters of FFX/X-2, getting a FFXII HD remaster on PS4 sounds like a no-brainer.

Just gimme.

200_s.gif

Demoskinos

This is the only Final Fantasy I haven't played in some capacity. I would REALLY REALLY like a Remaster. So I could properly experience this game.

B-Ri

+1

Considering they've already made two HD remasters of FFX/X-2, getting a FFXII HD remaster on PS4 sounds like a no-brainer.

Just gimme.

200_s.gif

that gif is me with FFXII Remaster.

I BOUGHT X/X-2 REMASTER ON PS3, PSVITA, and PS4, MAKE IT HAPPEN S-E!!!!

Paltheos

I'm curious why some of you are certain we're getting a remaster of this. Mind explaining?

I've seen some people say 'because FFX HD', but these are two different products, no? When Square was remaking the older FFs on the DS, they did III and IV but didn't go any further than that. What's different here?

B-Ri

I'm curious why some of you are certain we're getting a remaster of this. Mind explaining?

I've seen some people say 'because FFX HD', but these are two different products, no? When Square was remaking the older FFs on the DS, they did III and IV but didn't go any further than that. What's different here?

iOS distrupted the market.

XIII still looks amazing too actually

Just noticed this over the weekend, as my gf was playing it. Thought it was a PS4 game for a second.

Where the OP's screenshots straight from PS2? I remember it looking a bit blurrier, but maybe it was because I played it on an old PS3.

Top Bottom