DEVELOPER: Square Enix
PLATFORMS: Playstation 4
RELEASE DATES: July 11th, 2017 (Worldwide)
TECHNICAL INFO: Native 1080p 30FPS on Playstation 4 | Native 1440p 30FPS on PS4 Pro (4K Displays only)
LANGUAGES: English & Japanese Audio. English Subtitles.
GAME SIZE: 40.69 GB
Enter an era of war within the world of Ivalice. The small kingdom of Dalmasca, conquered by the Archadian Empire, is left in ruin and uncertainty. Princess Ashe, the one and only heir to the throne,
devotes herself to the resistance to liberate her country. Vaan, a young man who lost his family in the war, dreams of flying freely in the skies. In a fight for freedom and fallen royalty, join these
unlikely allies and their companions as they embark on a heroic adventure to free their homeland..
Includes several all-new enhanced gameplay features:
- The Zodiac Job System Improved character leveling system that now caters to the players preference
- Trial Mode Take on monsters and enemies in up to 100 consecutive battles
- Speed Mode - Move through the world at a faster pace
- Latest-generation HD graphical capabilities, including characters and movie scenes fully remastered in high definition.
- Modern advancements including PlayStation®4 trophy support and share functionalities, auto-save and shortened loading times.
- An endless amount of gameplay and adventure including Hunts, Battles, and mini-games.
Some GAF users have compiled some lovely guides for the License Board!
I thought it would be fun to write a small guide to compliment this one from GFaqs a lot of people here seem to be using. That guide is a bit older now and since then new amazing combinations have been found (mainly Shikari/Red Mage). I put most combinations under characters so you can mix and match your party more easily.
Vaan Can pull off any job thanks to high stats everywhere. A lot of people like him as Shikari though for canon reasons.
- Shikari/Foebreaker DPS (genji gloves) + Breaks. Big con is that it has no magic (therefore suits Bash and Balthier better).
- Shikari/White Mage Nearly invincible tank with healing.
- Shikari/Red Mage Tank+Black Magic+support spells. Jack of all trades and mostly great at them all (makes for an amazing leader character). Penelo and Ashe are also great with this one.
- Pretty much any job combination (can use any of the ones below)
Balthier Best as a katana user, but a lot of people like him as Machinist.
- Machinist/White Mage Healer/support that uses gun on downtime (better used by others because Balthier isn't a great mage).
- Machinist/Uhlan Gunner that can hit all weaknesses and is able to dish out big damage.
- Shikari/Foebreaker See Vaan list above.
- Bushi job (see below).
Bash Best as a katana user, but a lot of people like him as Uhlan (hes fastest with spears too).
- Uhlan/Archer Can use both jobs very effectively, gives a ranged option + use of many item lores.
- Shikari/Foebreaker See Vaan list above.
- Bushi job (see below)
Ashe Has the best magic stat in the game, but can also work with physical jobs because she also has decent strength.
- Knight/Time Mage Healing (with espers) + Time Magic + decent damage. Makes good use of her stats.
- Uhlan/Time Mage Decent with spears and can use that time magic effectively.
Ashe/Penelo can both do these jobs very well. Fran can do them too, but not as great.
- Black Mage/Monk All HP lores making your Mage tanky + ultimate Holy spell. Only con is that the 16 battle lores Monk has mostly go to waste.
- Black Mage/Archer Access to all item lores for emergency support + some extra HP lores.
- Black Mage/Machinist Same benefits as archer with a few less item lores. Access to some late game time magic.
- White Mage/Time Mage Ultimate support character, but perhaps not enough gambit slots to use it efficiently.
- Black Mage/Red Mage Ultimate Ardor (fire) spell, but a lot of overlap and only 2 swiftness.
Fran Probably best as a damage dealer with poles (shes the fastest with that weapon), but a lot of people like her as a Red Mage and Archer for canon reasons.
- Red Mage/Archer Good utility for most of the game and an endgame combo with burning bow+ardor.
- Red Mage/Machinist Effective user of measures, allowing for amazing evasion. Access to Dark Shot + Black Robe combo.
- Monk/Foebreaker Allows you to use Kanya+Genji Gloves, nearly as strong as the Bushi alternative (you can have both though).
Bushi gets the strongest weapon in the game (Kumbha), which makes it the best DPS class. There are lots of useful combinations with it. All of them are best used with Bash, Balthier and Vaan. Ashe can do well too with the ones that use magic.
- Bushi/Knight Allows the Bushi to use some healing spells. Heavy Armor + 10 battle lores. Access to strong Excalibur combo.
- Bushi/Uhlan Very strong in terms of DPS because of Heavy Armor + 13 battle lores.
- Bushi/Monk The strongest one with in terms of DPS with 16 battle lores and access to Heavy Armors through an Esper. Allows Bushi to use Curaja + great support spells.
- Bushi/Foebreaker Breaks of course, but also Heavy Armor + 12 battle lores.
- Bushi/Shikari Ultimate Yiazmat killer, but besides that not as great.
Whatever you pick, another thing to keep in mind is that you get two Genji Gloves in this game. Thats the equipment that allows you to do combo attacks for insane physical damage in the endgame. Only Bushi, Knight and Foebreaker have access to the Genji license. Besides that you want a weapon with a good combo rate. Kumbha (katana) is the best one for that, followed closely by Kanya (pole). Vrscika (hammer) and Mesa (ninja blade) are also good. Its just something to keep in mind while dividing up jobs. Monk for example could use a subjob with a genji license to use the Kanya efficiently.
There are a lot of other decent combinations, but I just tried to focus of some of the better ones. Keep in mind you can finish the endgame with literally any combination and that you should pick whatever you think would be fun. Still, here are some combinations with bad synergy you should probably avoid: Machinist/Archer, Machinist/Time Mage, Samurai/White Mage, Black Mage/White Mage, Knight/White Mage and Foebreaker/Uhlan, Knight/Red Mage
Anyone interesting in doing prerelease party planning should check this spreadsheet out:
There are sample parties that use all 12 jobs or are lore friendly distributions along with a bunch of other useful information like starting stats and weapon animation speed.
If you want to make your own edits, go to File -> Make a copy. On your copy of the sheet, you can use the dropdowns under each character's name for job selections.
These two Gfaq Threads were very useful to me when I was theory crafting by teams (first one is optimized, and second one is lore friendly):
The first thread is really nice, and covers how to take advantage of the best spells in the game (Holy with Black mage staff, Ardor & Burning Bow, Ninja Blade / Katanas with genji gloves)
Courtesy of JJShadow's Review Thread
Hardcore Gamer: 4.5/5
We Got This Covered: 4.5/5
Q: Is this game available digitally?
A: Yes. Pre-load is now available at a hefty 40.69 GB download.
Q: What languages does this game support?
A: The game features 2 audio options; English, and Japanese.
Q: Is there any Playstation 4 Pro support?
A: Yes, with the patented Square Enix Method! (1440p for 4K displays. No downsampling for 1080p displays.)
Q: How long is a typical playthrough?
A: It can take you around 50-60 hours through a single playthrough with a good amount of subquests done, but thanks to the turbo mode you could probably finish it quicker.
Q: So, about the Zodiac Spear...
A: They removed the requirements, so it's much easier to acquire now.
Q: Why is my MP 0?
A: Unequip the Goddess Magicite.
Q: Are there any changes from the original Final Fantasy XII release?
A: Yes, quite a lot actually. I have it listed in the 'Overview' section.
Q: Thanks, but I didn't see any changes to the story...
A: Well yeah, it's unchanged from the original.
Q: So the story is still shit?