• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Aeana

Yeah I did. Apparently you have to watch an NPC for some time before opening it.

Yes. Once the chest has spawned, the trick to get the item from it seems to be at least 95%. I hesitate to say 100% but it's very, very reliable. Basically, you watch the kid. He'll go into the corner, and then walk over to his parent. Watch him go into the corner 4 times, and after the 4th, the very instant he stops in front of his parent, hit confirm and you should get it.

Mael

Ok so apparently Amazon had a prime thing where you can buy the steelbook edition for less than the regular edition because I'm a sucker with prime...
Just wants a heads up:
Possible to play the game with the level up board like on ps2? Or do I have to contend with the job system?
I mean in FFX you had the expert sphere grid after all (since I played the game in the EU, I already had access to the expert sphere grid).

rjinaz

Ok so apparently Amazon had a prime thing where you can buy the steelbook edition for less than the regular edition because I'm a sucker with prime...
Just wants a heads up:
Possible to play the game with the level up board like on ps2? Or do I have to contend with the job system?

I ended up getting the steelbook edition for something like $32 from Amazon. I'm not sure what happened there. I think they were supposed to send me just the regular version but I didn't complain obviously.

Mael

I ended up getting the steelbook edition for something like $32 from Amazon. I'm not sure what happened there. I think they were supposed to send me just the regular version but I didn't complain obviously.

Nah they have 2 separate editions it's just that the steelbook is cheaper.
I wanted to get the game because while Xenoblade is everything I wanted out of 12, it's still FFXII!
Lost interest when I saw 50bucks at GS, amazon was more interesting.
So yeah the regular edition IS more expensive somehow (and even without the prime discount it's a difference of $2!).

I'm in Lhusu mines (just finished it) and my characters range from level 27 to 23. I chained like 450 skeletons on that bridge, it's particularly easy with Lamont healing, and having stolen three Sword of Kings from Belias, I just one shot everything at four times speed lol. So OP.

I'm in Lhusu mines (just finished it) and my characters range from level 27 to 23. I chained like 450 skeletons on that bridge, it's particularly easy with Lamont healing, and having stolen three Sword of Kings from Belias, I just one shot everything at four times speed lol. So OP.

I just walked out of there at level 20. Didn't grind, but I did do some Dustia leveling earlier on.

Holy crap I think I've seen the light with this game. I saw a few posts of people saying that this is their favorite Final Fantasy and I could never understand it, thought it was incredibly boring when I first played it when it originally released. I dunno if it's because I'm older now or what, but I'm hooked, from the story to the characters to the gameplay and job system, I love it all.

aravuus

Yes. Once the chest has spawned, the trick to get the item from it seems to be at least 95%. I hesitate to say 100% but it's very, very reliable. Basically, you watch the kid. He'll go into the corner, and then walk over to his parent. Watch him go into the corner 4 times, and after the 4th, the very instant he stops in front of his parent, hit confirm and you should get it.

Geez, okay. Not doing this ever. I don't even have a bow user.

... I might want the Trango Tower, though. Do your thing, RNG abusers.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
So I was longing for a good place to grind for xp in late gam...

And I found Sthaana Leo, LOL. I have a Necrophobe chain of 150 and counting. This is completely ridiculous. Fantastically beautifully ridiculous.

Ydelnae

Yesterday I fighted the plant-dragon thing, went to the home menu to check some trophy and when I got back to the game it was already defeated. Seems like the game does not stop running even if you go to the PS4 main menu.

I'm on my way to the imperial citadel and I'm starting to fee like the plot suffers too much from "go to this extreme point in the map to fulfill this task, now go to this other far away point as you travel through all these dungeons".

Are you supposed to fight the Bomb boss in your first visit to the Salikawood? I tried to beat it, then it healed itself and wiped my party thanks oil+Fira.

Netto-kun

Yesterday I fighted the plant-dragon thing, went to the home menu to check some trophy and when I got back to the game it was already defeated. Seems like the game does not stop running even if you go to the PS4 main menu.
Yeah you need to hit the Option button in-game to actually pause the game (or just hit the Menu button, but the game clock still moves even when in the PS4 home menu).

Are you supposed to fight the Bomb boss in your first visit to the Salikawood? I tried to beat it, then it healed itself and wiped my party thanks oil+Fira.
The King Bomb boss and the areas beyond are optional. Throw out and chain Quickenings once the boss is close to 50% health left (before it casts Renew) and it should go down. Alternatively you can still kill it after it has casted Renew twice and runs out of MP...if you are able to survive for that long. Silence it so you don't have to deal with the Oil+Fire combo (but AFAIK it can still cast Renew while silenced) or stock up on a lot of Handkerchief.

Tiamant

Holy crap I think I've seen the light with this game. I saw a few posts of people saying that this is their favorite Final Fantasy and I could never understand it, thought it was incredibly boring when I first played it when it originally released. I dunno if it's because I'm older now or what, but I'm hooked, from the story to the characters to the gameplay and job system, I love it all.

Welcome to the right side of history.

Delio

God Antlion was such a tough Hunt. It was going well until it ramped up and started pummeling me with it's enrage. Had to switch the secondary team in and nuke it with quickenings.

Balphon

Are certain characters better at certain jobs, or can anyone be just as good as anyone else?

There are differences in base stats and animation speeds that make certain characters better in certain jobs. However, those differences are marginal to the point where you really don't have to worry about them unless you are concerned with being completely optimal.

I think you have a point - the story is pretty much about putting a stop to sin from beginning to end. But unlike FFXII, the new elements introduced surrounding that narrative matter a lot more to FFX. FFX's formulaic "pilgrimage" means that when Yevon is revealed to be a farce, it's more dramatic and changes the way the characters interact with their world. The fact that sin isn't just a big scary monster, but "armor" for a summoner to perpetually summon Zanarkand matter a lot more to the story than anything that happens in FFXII.

In FFXII we learn that the
Occuria are manipulating the kingdoms of man and that Vayne is being manipulated by a rogue one. Okay, so what?

Sin was never going to destroy everything. It's easily to mistakenly believe that in the beginning of the game, but it's not the case.

I don't think "there are implications for the rest of Ivalice's history" really helps the game much. I understand appreciating the sense of history in Ivalice games, but I don't think it saves FFXII.

How is Vayne
being manipulated by Venat? He objects to the Occuria manipulating humans, and works with Vayne and Cid to try and free humanity from the Occuria's control. He even sacrifices himself with Vayne after they managed to do so.

This is told in the game, and written everywhere I can find.

cMboV4f.jpg
I really do love Fran.

And hey, finally got a full party. My team of Penelo, Fran and Ashe performed admirably during the boss fight prior to this scene. Let's hope that keeps up.

Lightning

Banned
Are certain characters better at certain jobs, or can anyone be just as good as anyone else?
Anyone is as good as anyone else. Certain characters have better attack animations but it's so small you'll not notice. For example Ashe is slow with Katanas so I made her a Knight/Bushi and she's a beast.

Cornbread78

I played for a few hours the other night and I gotta say that the 2x speed boost is amazing! I know it's going to cause me to miss some things, but the game pace (battles/slogging around town) is soo much better with this option

My girlfriend bought it and plays it right now, I'm watching and, am I nuts or does it look not even half as good as FF-X HD? I know it's a big open world offline MMO, but Jesus is everything muddy.

And what about the giant text size everywhere? Does they forgot we have HD TVs now? No need for keeping the same UI text size as on PS2.

I was barely lvl10 there... or you went a second time?

kromeo

My girlfriend bought it and plays it right now, I'm watching and, am I nuts or does it look not even half as good as FF-X HD? I know it's a big open world offline MMO, but Jesus is everything muddy.

And what about the giant text size everywhere? Does they forgot we have HD TVs now? No need for keeping the same UI text size as on PS2.

Some aspects of X always looked better due to it having a fixed camera, I don't think the remaster is any worse

I like how the game even has a little scene with Migelo when you go back to Rabanastre and visit his shop after Penelo joins the group.

Just finished sewers, 3 hours played. Really surprised how good this game even though it's been a little boring. Combat system is nice and eng dubs really good.

Ydelnae

Phon Coast spoilers:
Didn't see Balthier being and ex-judge at all, even thought it raises me some questions about his interactions with Ghis and the crazy overpowered one and the fact that he did not comment on Basch's resemblance with Gabranth. He could have left the judges before they came into the picture, but I always pictured Balthier as younger than Basch, so I don't know.

I was loving the game up until Larsa leaves, it has taken a dip these last 5 hours but I hope the story picks up after I reach my destination.

Shahed

Having a time deciding who to give Exodus to the option are:

Fran (Red/Archer): Gets Heavy Armour 8, 9 and 10. If it was 11 maybe, and I tbought I'd be using Mystic Armour on her anyway later

Ashe (Knight/Time): 350HP which doesn't mean a lot to be honest

Balthier (Machinist/White): A single Battle Lore. On other classes I'd get this, but on those 2 when a Gun is used more often?

Honestly none of them seem particularly good. I'm leaning towards the extra HP for Ashe but I'm not sure

Phon Coast spoilers:
Didn't see Balthier being and ex-judge at all, even thought it raises me some questions about his interactions with Ghis and the crazy overpowered one and the fact that he did not comment on Basch's resemblance with Gabranth. He could have left the judges before they came into the picture, but I always pictured Balthier as younger than Basch, so I don't know.

I was loving the game up until Larsa leaves, it has taken a dip these last 5 hours but I hope the story picks up after I reach my destination.

The five judges that are prominently shown in the game are Judge Magisters, and Balthier is of a lesser rank. He's just a judge, much like Larsa's bodyguard that hung out at Jahara while you travel with him to Bur Ominase.

Also I love how they showed Balthier grimacing to every mention of Cid, before we even meet him in the game.

Kyolux

Is there a good resource for all the good chests / steal locations that also follows story progression?

Or am I asking for too much hand holding?

ObsidianG

Thanks that helped? How important is range? Mit skip uhlan archer completely.

Flying enemies can only be hit by ranged attacks such as magic, Staves (for monks), spears (for uhlan) and a few technicks (including gil toss, telekinesis and shades of black). Uhlan can be useful for that purpose, and archer has access to the 1000 needles technick which is nice, guaranteed damage.

Slater

Banned
In FFXII we learn that the
Occuria are manipulating the kingdoms of man and that Vayne is being manipulated by a rogue one. Okay, so what?

Vayne wasn't being manipulated by the rogue. They were equal partners in the plan and he knew exactly what he was doing, same with Cid

Cess007

At what point do you unlock the Bazaar? Currently I'm
on my way to the Tomb of Raithwall
and it hasn't unlocked yet. I can't remember at which point does unlock (or if I unlock after I do something else?)

Ourobolus

Banned
At what point do you unlock the Bazaar? Currently I'm
on my way to the Tomb of Raithwall
and it hasn't unlocked yet. I can't remember at which point does unlock (or if I unlock after I do something else?)

As you sell your monster loot it'll pop up in any shop's menu with "New Bazaar items are available!"

The five judges that are prominently shown in the game are Judge Magisters, and Balthier is of a lesser rank. He's just a judge, much like Larsa's bodyguard that hung out at Jahara while you travel with him to Bur Ominase.

Also I love how they showed Balthier grimacing to every mention of Cid, before we even meet him in the game.

Yeah, it's funny how many little clues there are in his mannerisms and dialogue throughout the game.

jiggle

So seems like shikari/tiebreaker is a popular choice for vaan

And I'll have
Blm/monk
RDM/archer
WHM/machinist somewhere

That leaves 2 slots
One will be knight/bush

No idea what to do with the last slot
Most likely balthier

Dimmle

Tell me how bad my choices are. I wanted to use all 12: